Why is PayPal down?

Potion Master

Oh this is not good!

I saw that. Scary.

You guys clearly get it, but I don't think the general populace is comprehending how truly "not good" this is.

I am stunned they attacked the core DNS servers. And it's pretty amazing how adeptly the attack was fended off in this case. Why did I assume the system was untouchable? How is it that only the English speaking world was affected? I thought DNS serviced the entire world???

There is worse to come, no doubt.

It's Russia. That's a fact. No matter where it was originated, that's where it was initiated.

Russia has been on a non stop anti American campaign, primarily through propaganda, throughout Europe & various other parts of the world for over 10 years. They helped N Korea with the silly Sony BS.

I say we wait till the middle of Winter then shut them down for a few days. Teach Putin to measure his dick elsewhere.

IDK if I have the articles, if I can find them I'll send a link. I'm sure, with all these incidents, previous articles will resurface not to mention more current info.

oh yea and maybe, U.S. schools could stop "selling" seats in college. If we could stop educating their cyber terrorists.... ???

Edited by StacyK

You guys clearly get it, but I don't think the general populace is comprehending how truly "not good" this is.

I am stunned they attacked the core DNS servers. And it's pretty amazing how adeptly the attack was fended off in this case. Why did I assume the system was untouchable? How is it that only the English speaking world was affected? I thought DNS serviced the entire world???

There is worse to come, no doubt.

Our entire electronic & even electrical infrastructure in this country is very vulnerable, made even more so by the internet. So many systems are online - dams, etc. - and this shows how an attack could go after ther internet itself or use the internet to go after infrastructure. What is even more scary is that a lot of the devices that were commandeered for this attack were older generation industrial/business type webcams - everyday devices most people would not consider "computers" but because they connect to the internet, they can be commandeered like they were. Wikileaks indicated some of its followers may have been behind the attacks although at this point who knows. Maybe they were just trying to "look big".

https://www.wired.com/2016/10/internet-outage-ddos-dns-dyn/

https://www.wired.com/2016/10/internet-outage-webcam-dvr-botnet/

But even more than that:

Someone last year went into what is really unsecured remote locations cutting fiber optic cables:

http://www.usatoday.com/story/tech/2015/06/30/california-internet-outage/29521335/

And then there was this 2013 attack that only partially made the news:

http://money.cnn.com/2015/10/16/technology/sniper-power-grid/

Finally there is this thought:

https://www.schneier.com/blog/archives/2016/09/someone_is_lear.html

Edited by quietguy

Our entire electronic & even electrical infrastructure in this country is very vulnerable, made even more so by the internet. So many systems are online - dams, etc. - and this shows how an attack could go after ther internet itself or use the internet to go after infrastructure. What is even more scary is that a lot of the devices that were commandeered for this attack were older generation industrial/business type webcams - everyday devices most people would not consider "computers" but because they connect to the internet, they can be commandeered like they were.

Exactly; the more the "Internet of things" grows, the more vulnerability there will be.

The problem is companies don't want to pay someone to deter or detect this sort of thing from happening. Take for example my job- we used to outsource IT - whenever we suffered an attack- there's about 3 days of waiting and waiting until the servers are up and running , because there is 1 guy they have to call in and figure it out instead of having SWAT on stand by. I can guarantee you this shit doesn't happen on Wall St or at banks. We get all sorts of crazy shit going on - but they figure let the employees stress out and fall behind schedule because we have to save a buck so we can pay the CEO his housing allowance. There's no way in hell the Russians have better skills than us. We just like to play possom, cause companies don't want to invest the $. They figure it's going to happen anyhow and they will fix it, its just going to take time. That's my take on it. Always has to do with $. I could be wrong but it makes sense to me and if Wall St got hit believe me we would have a code red at work. I have been gone for a while though.. okay to much brain activity at this hour. Lol.

Omg why do I feel stoned ????

They didn't hit any individual companies in this case, they hit the directory servers of the entire web. The focus of the attack was the east coast servers, that's why we didn't have as many problems on this coast - the servers are all over the place I guess. I don't really understand it fully either, I just recognized that the target was where all of the websites basically plug into - the core addressing system of all the websites I have ever worked on.

And that is the really scary part! They knew how to find those servers and target them. We are so connected and dependent on technology that if cyber attacks like this continue or get bigger and hit more servers, it could halt a lot of our world as we know it.

The focus of the attack was the east coast servers, that's why we didn't have as many problems on this coast - the servers are all over the place I guess.

Right; that is actually a strategy when it comes to cybersecurity - data centers/server farms are never clustered just in one place.

And that is the really scary part! They knew how to find those servers and target them. We are so connected and dependent on technology that if cyber attacks like this continue or get bigger and hit more servers, it could halt a lot of our world as we know it.

I was telling Mara that I think the nightmare scenario will come either with a large-scale DDoS attack or an EMP detonated in a major metropolitan area.

Yes to the EMP weapon but you can make an EMP gun for the up close and personal.

Yes to the EMP weapon but you can make an EMP gun for the up close and personal.

I'd rather have a taser.

Suddenly those people who keep thousands of dollars in their mattress don't seem so crazy.

Most companies that do this (or at least they used to) have the actual server locations spread all over. My ex worked for one. One company doesn't (or again,didn't use too) have all their servers in one place) the idea being that if one location is crippled by an attack or bad weather or ?? all thier info is not completely compromised. The idea of these big server farms in one place is just stupid.

Edited by StacyK

LOL, yes I know. I'm kind of surprised no one has tried to use that yet to take down the power, at least.

LOL, yes I know. I'm kind of surprised no one has tried to use that yet to take down the power, at least.

I'd rather have a taser.

Of course - by up close and personal I meant aim it at someone's house or business and fry all the electronics therein as opposed to a large scale EMP weapon designed to take out a city or the Eastern Seaboard. Or like Luna alludes to, drive by the local power substation with the EMP gun and take out ALL the electronics at once. Imagine doing that to 4-6 substations in one area at one night. The local power company would be hard pressed to get them all back up and running soon as certain components are very low density on hand items due to their cost.

How about the local train station? Or airport? Aim at one aircraft taking off or landing. One can only pray that the FBI or someone keeps track of purchases involving the key components of such a device but considering most are COTS electronics I too an a little surprised we have not experienced that yet. Although who knows, now that we have brought up the subject, Luna & I just might get a visit from the FBI haha!