Carol's Black Leather White Lace

TheBirkeys

AD-PE-CarolBLWL.jpg

Carol's Black Leather, White Lace

A smooth white floral bouquet of stephanotis, heliotrope and white jasmine over a soft velvety vanilla with little drops of leather in the base, come together to form a sophisticated yet sensually touchable air.

Edited by TheBirkeys

Just now received this in the mail....

First impression...the leather is really amping and some type of chemical smell...I don't get any floral or vanilla at all...I am going to put this aside for a few days and retest..:)

Leather can be potent, I hope it's not going to overwhelm you. IMO it's also subject to travel shock in that it can be covering everything for a few days. That was my experience with BC Mojo, which later became a fav. It could be dominating the white florals and those probably need to soften and round out. (with the exception of LP White) that's always my experience with white floral notes.

Just a guess of course but don't lose heart yet. Give it a little time. I hope it all comes together the concept is lovely. I can't wait to get my FB. :)

Leather can be potent, I hope it's not going to overwhelm you. IMO it's also subject to travel shock in that it can be covering everything for a few days. That was my experience with BC Mojo, which later became a fav. It could be dominating the white florals and those probably need to soften and round out. (with the exception of LP White) that's always my experience with white floral notes.

Just a guess of course but don't lose heart yet. Give it a little time. I hope it all comes together the concept is lovely. I can't wait to get my FB. :)

Thanks very much, Stacy, for your words...:) I don't know whether I am just amping the leather or it just needs time to mesh after traveling...I know you're right and I should give it a little time...Pink Lavender Cake smelled like cough syrup on me today...lol...my skin must be doing weird things...I wanted so badly to smell the white florals and vanilla (and the vanilla added by the heliotrope) too...please let me know when you get your's how you find it...I'm wanting to know if it is just me...in potions with tobacco and earth those are the only notes which I detect so leather may be like that for me...I will wait and see..:)

Sometimes it can take a while when it comes to leather, even if it's the smallest ratio. I made a PE for Quince called Release the Hounds back in 2013 and it's only within the past few months that I think it's achieved an equal balance of ivy and leather, which is what I was going for. Q doesn't care, he liked it from the start, but I was having to be patient in regards to it evolving to my tastes.

I received the PE today and I was really excited for this one! Sadly, the leather is all I smell so far though. I don't dislike it, but the leather is way too strong. I wanted to smell the white flower and some vanilla. I really hope it mellows out. Otherwise, I plan on layering it with Sugared White Musk or LP White.

Edited by phergineer

Leather is indeed a strong note. I only used one single drop in the master bottle. When I was trialing it myself, the leather calmed down on me after about 20 mins and balanced with the florals and vanilla. It ended up smelling quite sophisticated. I hope it ends up working that way for you too!

Leather is indeed a strong note. I only used one single drop in the master bottle. When I was trialing it myself, the leather calmed down on me after about 20 mins and balanced with the florals and vanilla. It ended up smelling quite sophisticated. I hope it ends up working that way for you too!

You are right!! I wore this the rest of the day. The first half an hour I could smell leather mostly, as if I walked into a leather store. After that, it turned into white, soft almost creamy flowers, with a touch of sugar and vanilla, and the leather lingering in the background. Very sophisticated indeed. I kept huffing my wrists all day.

I will keep testing it - if it passes the fiance test, it stays - and I sure hope he loves this one, because after the 30 minute morphing session, I do!

I would pair this with LFM, SS4W, LFN and Lace. I have not tried Leather yet, but I am sure it would go well. As a matter of fact, I don't know which phero would not go well with this. The leather and the soft flowers can make it go in either direction. Even Dom!

This was a brilliant combination Carol and Mara!!! :Love09751:

Birks- are you maybe close to your cycle? I would retest every week. When I had a cycle, my usual foodie favorites made me want to throw up. I could only wear man scent. Kinda like I had to amp my test - alpha male sig so others wouldn't know I was a bleeding pie hole.

Birks- are you maybe close to your cycle? I would retest every week. When I had a cycle, my usual foodie favorites made me want to throw up. I could only wear man scent. Kinda like I had to amp my test - alpha male sig so others wouldn't know I was a bleeding pie hole.

Well I sure hope this doesn't go all weird when my cycle is over, because I tested right out of the box and right in the middle of being a "bleeding pie hole"!

Well I sure hope this doesn't go all weird when my cycle is over, because I tested right out of the box and right in the middle of being a "bleeding pie hole"!

LOL. It might. Strangely though I can do most florals when the pie is bleeding, just not foodie.

Have you given this another try?

I wore this one again today. Slathered! The first half an hour the leather is forefront, but then it mellows out and the scent is just gorgeous! I wish I got another bottle!

I paired it with SWS, I wore black and white with a touch of hot pink, and my first meeting today went really well, with a not so nice man!

Edited by phergineer

I wore this one today, sooo beautiful! I've been enamored with the idea of leather scents since trying (and falling in love with) Black Cat Mojo. I knew when I saw the notes that I had to have to this one and I'm so thrilled I was able to snap up a bottle! The leather does initially go on strong but after about an hour, it quietened very nicely. The vanilla is so lovely, non-foody and not overly sweet but somehow creamy, maybe because of the florals?? I don't have a very good nose for sorting out florals, that's a little above my pay grade, but it all works beautifully. I love it! I'm sure the leather will continue to soften as it ages and it's going to go from amazing to mind-blowing. Thanks Birkeys & Mara!

What's very interesting to me is that the jasmine in this is blended in a way that I cannot pick it out, and it just blends with the rest of the "white" soft notes. On the other hand, in To Soothe a Broken Heart 2015, it smells really weird on my skin, almost as if I just walked into a horse stable :( That scent made me want to write off jasmine, and then I realized it was also in this! I was warned not to write off notes by themselves in other threads, but now I've learned it on my own skin, literally!

Again, great job Potion Master!

And as memorare says, I'm sure this will age beautifully.

If you want to get rid of any if your bottles, I'm interested! :)

Edited by phergineer

Carol, have you given this another try?

I wore this one again today. Slathered! The first half an hour the leather is forefront, but then it mellows out and the scent is just gorgeous! I wish I got another bottle!

I paired it with SWS, I wore black and white with a touch of hot pink, and my first meeting today went really well, with a not so nice man!

That sounds great :) Can't wait to get the PE's.

This is Birkeys creation. I believe "Carol" is her mother.

ok, so I've only had this a couple of days.

I gave the bottle a good shake & roll. What I'm getting right now a very soft leather, actually it reminds me more of suede. Soft, it's light I'm not amping it at all. So that note is fine. I'm just not getting any of the "white" flowers. is it me?

I've got a very soft leather, it's unobtrusive, it's not pokey or dominant either.. but I don't get anything else. Weird.

I'm looking for the white florals but can't find them.

The weather has been extreme.. so perhaps a longer recovery period is in order.

I'm going to set it aside and come back in a few days.

Edited by StacyK

This is so beautiful. It just gets more and more gorgeous the longer I have it. Kicking myself now for not asking for 2 bottles when I had the chance! The leather has already calmed down a lot from just 5 days ago. It's no longer as "in yo' face!" when I first put it on, and the florals/vanilla are more prominent. I've worn nothing else for the last 3 days because I love it so much. I definitely think this one must be very susceptible to the dreaded travel shock, Stacy. Please report back in a few days when you re-try. I bet it will be much better. :)

I am very sorry I have not commented since I created this post..last Monday (the day of) one of my childhood schoolmates passed away suddenly and I am having a hard time with that..it has also brought back many memories of my brother's passing in 2000 (he was 26-from a car accident)..my dad isn't doing well now...with everything I am feeling very overwhelmed...I thank you all for your comments and thank you, Mara, for my beautiful PE...I haven't tried it again or even any of the NR sampler I got yet...I promise to respond as soon as things are better and I have had a chance to test...:)

I am very sorry I have not commented since I created this post..last Monday (the day of) one of my childhood schoolmates passed away suddenly and I am having a hard time with that..it has also brought back many memories of my brother's passing in 2000 (he was 26-from a car accident)..my dad isn't doing well now...with everything I am feeling very overwhelmed...I thank you all for your comments and thank you, Mara, for my beautiful PE...I haven't tried it again or even any of the NR sampler I got yet...I promise to respond as soon as things are better and I have had a chance to test... :)

I am very sorry to hear about the hard times you are going through. Positive vibes coming your way! Blessings! :Love09751:

Guest cutie.pie

I am very sorry I have not commented since I created this post..last Monday (the day of) one of my childhood schoolmates passed away suddenly and I am having a hard time with that..it has also brought back many memories of my brother's passing in 2000 (he was 26-from a car accident)..my dad isn't doing well now...with everything I am feeling very overwhelmed...I thank you all for your comments and thank you, Mara, for my beautiful PE...I haven't tried it again or even any of the NR sampler I got yet...I promise to respond as soon as things are better and I have had a chance to test...:)

Sending one huge hug!! :Hug_emoticon:

Hmmm. This one was my "out-of-the-box" PE choice, with notes I usually wouldn't choose. I maybe smell the white florals after drydown, but that leather makes such a big impression at first--my brain finds it hard to turn off afterwards. This reminds me of my favorite leather coat which was stolen a couple years back. This smell brings back fond memories of autumn afternoons and winter nights wearing light, floral perfumes beneath the coat's strong leather musk.

The bittersweet memories are great, but my bottle of WLBL may have to go up for sale/trade soon. I have my eye on three FBs of the November 2014 Releases, and I'm really not in a position to drop more money on The Addiction... I'll give this one maybe a week or two to settle some more and re-test.

ETA: I hope you are doing well, Birkeys--all the best wishes for getting through this rough patch!

Edited by VerrryVeronica

• 4 weeks later...

Today I tried my PE again and when wet I am still mainly getting leather but upon drydown I am also getting a powdery vanilla with it. I'm not sure if it's the vanilla or the heliotrope..it's very nice! I do know that from now on I am waiting at least a week or two before trying my PEs! ;) I do suspect that the situation with me crying earlier that day could have affected how I perceived it.

Luna...I am finding out just how potent it is! lol I'm hanging on to all of my bottles and will take note as I use the perfume how it is coming along..It has softened a bit, although the real surprise is that I think I'm loving it as is! It's kind of a sexy leather scent and I found out today in the store when I was wearing it that some men find the smell of leather quite intoxicating! Men kept leaning in closer for a smell! Might be a hit in the bedroom...will post those results when I'm able to test it..lol :)

Lady V...it was a week before and I definitely had PMS so it could have had an effect. I do notice how potions and pheros smell/work differently during that time of the month! ;) The other thing that affects the way they smell on me is when I do a cleanse..I wasn't doing a cleanse then, but I find it so intruiging how much they change! I also crave different potions' scents at different times of the month..sometimes it's floral, then vanilla and another week later it's foodie...bizarre! ;):D

I hope everyone that got a bottle of it is loving it...I know we all have different likes and dislikes, especially when it comes to perfumes..thank you all for chiming in and for your words of comfort...things are going much better now...:)

If Black Leather White Lace continues to morph as it ages I will be content...if it remains as it is now I will be content. I do think it's going to age like a fine wine and just get better and better...:) if I had to pair it with a phero at this point I would say LFN would compliment it nicely! I got my bottles boosted with Lace and with Leather and they also go well. I'm looking forward to layering this one with my all time love Gypsum White and then also with Sugared White Musk and with OCCO/NOCO Vanilla. I think these will go together beautifully!!! :)

Mara, thank you so much for my gorgeous PE...I really love it! It wasn't what I was expecting scent wise, but sometimes what we get instead is something better and that's how I feel...it's very sexy and seductive and I can't wait to wear it for Jatin!!! ;):D

****The title of the PE needs to be changed..I goofed it up and reversed the colors****

• 2 weeks later...

This has improved a lot with a little time on the shelf. The leather has calmed down (a bit) and the "white" florals are coming thru. Not the right time to wear today but this will be nice in the warmer spring weather.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

I agree with StacyK. After letting mine sit for a about a month, the leather has definitely calmed down. Still prominent, but the florals are able to come forward more. I'm still highly undecided about keeping my bottle though...

Indecision is good VerrryVeronica! :D I just got a small sniffie today, did a small swipe and I think this smells incredible. I get leather, but I am also getting some yummy vanilla. Too bad I didn't get this sniffie before Etsy sold out of this. Sorry, have to say this---I think Stevie Nicks would be proud. Okay, everybody groan now... :P

• 7 months later...

I just had to comment again on this one, all these months later...I'm still in love with it :) It has only improved with age, IMO. It is silky smooth all the way through now for me. This has become my go-to scent to pair with LFM and it never fails to get me hits!

• 6 years later...

This is why you try things on. In the bottle it was all leather. Going on, it starts out with the leather coming on strong, but in 10-15 minutes, some subtle sweetness appears. That's when a becomes a much softer scent. The leather becomes just one aspect and it all melds into a quiet, sophisticated fragrance. It smells like an expensive store. Luxurious in a high end sort of way. Weirdly sort of calming. Could be a good office scent if you work somewhere more formal.