Love Potion: Summer Solstice 2015

AD-LPSummer2015_1.jpg

VANILLA ~ Aphrodisiac, inspires happiness, playfulness, sexual arousal, lust, vitalizing.
PINEAPPLE ~ Draws money and luck; protection.
APRICOT ~ Love, love, love! Romance, passion, femininity.
FREESIA ~ Innocence, chastity, charm.
AMBER ~ Fertility, creativity, love, luck, riches.
PATCHOULI ~ Soothes and uplifts; sensual, sexually stimulating, lust, fertility, money. Meditative and transforming.

• 2 weeks later...

Ye gods this is gorgeous. I'm so glad I got a bottle.

The pineapple has more of a slightly tart character to it, but it is very firmly at the center of this construction, and it stays there even as it might lessen in intensity a bit. For me, the apricot is lending a kind of "LP Red but with pineapple" aura to it, but only because that's what apricot in an LP variant usually makes me think of. It's not that this smells anything like LP Red, not really. It also makes me think of Vieux Carre a bit, but it's not really like that one either. It's beautiful and summery the way Crayons: Gamboge is, but not as sweet, much more sophisticated and sensual.

.Ye gods this is gorgeous. I'm so glad I got a bottle.

The pineapple has more of a slightly tart character to it, but it is very firmly at the center of this construction, and it stays there even as it might lessen in intensity a bit. For me, the apricot is lending a kind of "LP Red but with pineapple" aura to it, but only because that's what apricot in an LP variant usually makes me think of. It's not that this smells anything like LP Red, not really. It also makes me think of Vieux Carre a bit, but it's not really like that one either. It's beautiful and summery the way Crayons: Gamboge is, but not as sweet, much more sophisticated and sensual.

Yay!! ..and I know you know your LP line & Pinapple!!!

Well I would hope I do, after all this time. :lol:

In the long drydown, the particular version of the LP base which this becomes is delicious, IMO. The vanilla is more sheer on top, but it blends together wonderfully.

It's beautiful and summery the way Crayons: Gamboge is, but not as sweet, much more sophisticated and sensual.

I have to agree here Luna, and this is a perfect comparison (Gamboge). I can actually wear this one whereas Gamboge went pineapple LIfesavers candy on me. Not to dis Lifesavers pineapple (as I know some of you have fond childhood memories of that one!) but it just didn't work for me. That being said, pineapple does funny things on my skin and I'm going to let this one settle a bit before deciding whether to go FB or not.

Well I had to get to this one. Like any of the LP line. I need to let it sit a few days to start to get that full bloom thing they do. But, first impressions.. very pretty. I love Maras pineapples! I do get the reference to Gamboge. But, G didn't work on me. It was also sort of orange smelling rather than pineapple on my skin.

This is a big full fruit Pinapple blast on wet. As it dries the base notes come up to mingle. It stays fairly soft, after the fruitsplosion. This is a warm, bright variant. I don't get much patch. It feels and smells like a medium LP to me. Not to dark or heavy but not as light as White. As it wears it definitely seems to be on the lighter side of medium but it's young still. Second to the Pineapple I get the Apricot. It takes a few minutes but after the fruit clams down I get a soft floral whif of the freesia. :) I like it.

Sunny, a bit tropical, with a pretty whiff of floral.

Edited by StacyK

Wow, when I first put this on, it was ALL PINEAPPLE ALL THE TIME. It smells like the pineapple in Gamboge, and I have put a little dab of that one on the other arm to compare the drydowns. LP Summer Solstice has this nice, clear vanilla hovering on top with just a little apricot, with just a touch of smooth patch in the base. Gamboge on the other hand, gets super loud on me, and turns into a floral/fruit punch/bubblegum scent.

I like this one! On the list for FB...

This was the first one I reached for when I got my package. Wet it's very pineapple patchy. As it dries down it stays that way. I am going to set it aside for a few days and retest. I would love more vanilla, hopefully it's experiencing travel shock.

This reminds me of some candy that I can't put my finger on while first on and settling down. It's very sunny and bright. I think the note that has me cocking my head is the freesia. At first the fruit was such a blast that I didn't think I was going to like it, but maybe 5 or 10 minutes after it settles to something decidedly candy sweet and kind of floral LOL I wouldn't call it a floral fragrance, but it's very complimentary, lifting it and keeping it from being too candy sweet. I don't know that I'll need a FB, but I'll use up my sample for sure ^_^

Well I guess pineapple just doesn't work on me!. I don't remember why but Gamboge didn't and neither did Pineapple Fairy Cake. It surprises me though because Dolly's Hot and Sticky is one of my all time favorite LP's. Hmmm. In this particular blend I do blame the freesia though. It did the same thing to me in another scent. It has a sort of air freshener thing that just irks me and I really amp it in this. At first the pineapple is bright and juicy! Then that freesia comes in and takes over.

I don't know...I don't think I can give up on pineapple completely. I still want to try Sugared Pineapple but as of right now I'll have to skip this LP summer variant. :(

I always hope the pineapple scents will work on me, but they just don't. I love the fruitiness, I love the sticky sweetness... But I guess I just don't want to smell like pineapple. LOL It's so pretty, but it's not *me*

This one is wearing very light on me. The patch is the death note for me that I was scared of. Luckily, it backed off although I still get a hint of it. This isn't a sweet pineapple- it feels like more of an pineapple that isn't ripe. It's not syrupy or sticky, just a very faint, muted pineapple. I'll let this one rest a bit before I try it again.

I totally get the Gamboge comparison. In the vial and first on, the two were very similar, but within five minutes, I started to get that familiar Love Potion base. The pineapple is less intense and more of an accent than a dominant note. It adds that sweet summery touch to it. The sleeper note is the freesia. It hovers there right between the patchouli amber base and the fruity top notes. It's what turns this into a summer day. I don't find it to be patch heavy, so don't be afraid!! It's absolutely beautiful.

At the start, Pineapplecoconut..(?)..is out front. Apricot is out in the first. Quickly following is Vanillafreesia. Patch tries to wedge itself along the inside, but Amber is out in front. Pineapplecoconut is fading but is not giving up. Two laps in, freesia falls back, but Vanilla hangs on, overtaking Amber. It looks like we have Vanillamber moving up, now taking the lead.This is really getting exciting folks! Holding firm out front, heading into the third lap is Vanillamber, with Pineapplecoconut making a move. Pineapplecoconut is gaining. Half-way into the third lap Vanilla is slowing down, losing steam, but Amber holds on. This is going to be close! Oh, coconut can't hold on! She's falling back into third place, no match for Amber. Only time will tell who takes the crown. Will it be Pineapple or Amber? They're headed into the home stretch. Neck and neck! They're burning up the course, neither willing to take second place. Vanilla will take third place today, with a valiant effort. The two front runners are nearing the finish line with only seconds to go. This could be a photo finish, folks! They're nose to nose. Who will take the crown?! It is Amber by a hair! What a beautiful finish!

Edited by Wanderlust

At the start, Pineapplecoconut..(?)..is out front. Apricot is out in the first. Quickly following is Vanillafreesia. Patch tries to wedge itself along the inside, but Amber is out in front. Pineapplecoconut is fading but is not giving up. Two laps in, freesia falls back, but Vanilla hangs on, overtaking Amber. It looks like we have Vanillamber moving up, now taking the lead.This is really getting exciting folks! Holding firm out front, heading into the third lap is Vanillamber, with Pineapplecoconut making a move. Pineapplecoconut is gaining. Half-way into the third lap Vanilla is slowing down, losing steam, but Amber holds on. This is going to be close! Oh, coconut can't hold on! She's falling back into third place, no match for Amber. Only time will tell who takes the crown. Will it be Pineapple or Amber? They're headed into the home stretch. Neck and neck! They're burning up the course, neither willing to take second place. Vanilla will take third place today, with a valiant effort. The two front runners are nearing the finish line with only seconds to go. This could be a photo finish, folks! They're nose to nose. Who will take the crown?! It is Amber by a hair! What a beautiful finish!

:say19: I still can't get this to go more into perfume territory for me. I'm just getting delicious, complex pineapple upside down cake.

Revisiting this one today...for me it still starts out with that fresh-cut pineapple evocation which then blends with the amber, I think that's where it reminded me of Vieux Carre - it really is a pineapple-amber blend there for a while. In the drydown now I get the apricot taking center stage, in the true Love Potion tradition. It's sort-of tropical apricot, which is an interesting notion.

WendyLynne,

What a fun review !!! I've got this one set aside, as all I was getting was pineapple and I generally love the Love Potion Variants. That Vanilla/amber/apricot/patch combo is so lovely but the pineapple just smelled wrong on top of it. Hopefully I will have happier news to report later. I'm also adding a note to myself to try this is in a scent locket, in case it's my body chemistry. :purr:

I wore this yesterday. The fruit is lush and juicy, and the freesia (or something) reminds me of gardenia, which is fine with me as I like gardenia. I cannot detect the patchouli in this at all. A really nice summer scent. I will definitely wear it again, and I might want more.

I am loving this.....I love LP Original though! I have LP Original, then I have the LP/LE with BI, which is apricot-prominent,and now this, which is pineapple-prominent.....verdict? I love hem all!

This one is pineapple in the forefront, but after it dries down, I get the complex LPO base, at which time the pineapple drops back a little, but is still there, just wafting in and out. I like! Glad I got a couple of bottles!

Edited by Dolly

I'm wearing this today and it is a lovely summer fruit bowl. It is very pineapple and apricot forward on me and I cannot pick out any vanilla or patch. Although having said that, as the fruits are not tart but have a lovely creamy sweetness I suspect it's the vanilla and patch doing their thing in the background.

For some reason the first scent association I experienced when I applied this was of the old-fashioned candy store that was near the Vermont hotel we stayed in all through my childhood. Sweet memories literally and figuratively.

• 2 weeks later...

I think I love this one even more today than I did when I first tried it. It is absolutely lovely.....then again, I absolutely adore pineapple!!!

This time, I get pineapple all the way through drydown. Only when it dries down do I get the creamy vanilla LP base. Love love love this one!! I see a hoarding situation coming on.

Edited by Dolly

• 3 months later...

In the bottle, this smelled like a pina colada to me, even though I knew there was no coconut in it (though I'm tempted to layer it with a coconut scent, just to see what happens!). The pineapple is really strong, and like Dolly, I get pineapple all the way through the drydown on my skin. The vanilla is faint while wet, and it doesn't really come out until drydown. The patchouli in this is really soft for me, and the drydown is more creamy, vanilla pineapple than resiny or patchy. I don't usually go for fruity scents, but I love this and will be going FB.

This has a very candied pineapple forward feel to it first on, it's not artificial by any means. It's tropical, warm and refreshing! I don't recall ever encountering such an enticing pineapple scent until I smelled this!

Upon dry down it's a juicy pineapple dipped in vanilla sugar, the apricot gives it a dash of tartness. I don't sense any amber or patch, it has that nice rounded out lp base that gives the scent a less syrupy quality to it.

It's very beautiful, I'd get a fb if I could >.

• 1 month later...

At first application, I am greeted with juicy tart pineapple, complimented with the bright, warm tang of apricot. After drydown, the signature LP vanillary amber goodness peeks through without taking away the fruitiness of this variant. I've really been enjoying wearing this during Summer.

• 1 year later...

Ive been going back though old trials, trying to clear space lol.

This one is glorious!

With age its rounded.

Its a surprisingly light LP variant.

I love Pineapple and the pretty bright splash of fruit is definitely the star. It's right in the middle of tart & sweet on me. I wouldn't really say tart at all. More like "Tangy". A juicy, sweet Pineapple tang on a bed of silky cool LP base notes.

The fressia is barely there, a bit more noticeable after full drydown. Its well blended into the LP base.

The Apricot seems to be supporting the pineapple. Playing the pedestal to the pineapple star. Keeping it sweet and fruity.

All the other notes, including Monsieur Patch, are light & subtle.

This is a cool light variant.

Perfect for summer.

Elegant & demure. The tangy spark of pineapple preventing it from becoming too serious. A spark of summer fun over a cool sensuous, lightweight LP base.

?

I definitely want a FB.

? Cool & elegant with a sense of play. This is a perfect partner for LFM.

Better late to the party than never!

Edited by StacyK

• 5 months later...

This is so lovely on me. It's odd because it seems really light when I first put it on, and seems to get richer as the day goes on. A nice bonus is that my man and myself both love pineapple. And I have that odd ability to eat unlimited pineapple without it hurting my mouth. It's so yummy, this scent, I don't even think it would be possible to put too much on. But I'm going to try. That's my mission today, to see if I have an infinite capacity to wear this LP without it ever being too much. I'll report back. ❤️

7 hours later- still amazing. I generously reapplied mid-day, and no one is overwhelmed. Winning!

Edited by Eastwood22

• 6 months later...
On 11/27/2017 at 10:39 AM, Eastwood22 said:

This is so lovely on me. It's odd because it seems really light when I first put it on, and seems to get richer as the day goes on. A nice bonus is that my man and myself both love pineapple. And I have that odd ability to eat unlimited pineapple without it hurting my mouth. It's so yummy, this scent, I don't even think it would be possible to put too much on. But I'm going to try. That's my mission today, to see if I have an infinite capacity to wear this LP without it ever being too much. I'll report back. ❤️

7 hours later- still amazing. I generously reapplied mid-day, and no one is overwhelmed. Winning!

Well, at least I'm consistent! Wearing this again today, I am having the same experience. When slathering this morning, I felt like no matter how much I put on, it would never be too much! There was one moment as I walked around the room teaching that I wondered if I had gone overboard, because my application was not subtle, but quickly recovered from that split second of doubt. LP Summer Solstice 2015 feels really well blended, I don't find either the pineapple or the freesia standing out too much, it's just smooth to me. I'm now at the 6 hour mark and really glad I slathered. There's a hint of the pineapple summer happiness still, but mostly it's an addicting warm vanilla amber now.

• 1 month later...

Gorgeous beyond words. Yes, upon application the lush, juicy pineapple with warmness of an apricot made themselves perk in the front. It creates an instant burst of joy for me. The base of LP slowly mingle up to give a mysterious vibe, but never too heavy(so no head shop vibe here lol). Really love how this one morphs on my skin (tiny dab on my wrist). It’s sunny with wonders, it makes you want to find out more of the wearer. Probably my fav LP blends of to date!!! ❤️

• 1 month later...

I love this blend so much, It's like a big wet juicy pineapple all over me... After about an hour I can faintly smell the rest of the LP base and then after 4 hours everthing completely fades on me...I Even thou on my skin it does not last I love this variant so much, that I hope more things are made with Pineapple

• 1 year later...

I wore this last night, and didn’t put on any perfume this morning before running out to zoom teach a class. I kept getting a yummy smell from somewhere, but couldn’t put my finger on it, I thought maybe someone had burned something in the studio. Then I realized, it was the patchouli/ LP base leftovers, post a quick and light shower, from last night! 

I wish I had a back up of this one. It just keeps unfolding over time. Note to self - always get a back up bottle of ANY LP Summer Solstice variant! Humidity never lasts on me, but I loved it, and this and the 2016 Brûlée are just so perfect. 

• 3 months later...

I agree with @Eastwood22 about always get a back up bottle of these because I did not but I still cherish this one!

I ended up wearing this one for most of the summer.

It's just such a great combination if notes and when the base comes through it's heaven.

I've gotten compliments on this one too.

Edited by Vika

11 hours ago, Vika said:

I agree with @Eastwood22 about always get a back up bottle of these because I did not but I still cherish this one!

I'm wearing Love Potion: Rouge w/La Femme Mystere today. It's from before my time, but I'm so lucky to have snagged a bottle. If only I could go back in time and get a back up!