Jennifer's Fox Medicine

This was a Private Edition for July 2015, requested by our own Forum Member Blackcat. From her own description, she wanted something earthy, animalistic, and natural. She asked for red musk, red patchouli, and ozone, and left the last ingredient up to "Commander Fox", which turns out to be "the dry earthy scent of fallen leaves on a forest floor".

First off, I had a kneejerk reaction to the name of this PE and ordered a FB without knowing the ingredients. I absolutely adore the Totem series and have several friends who identify with animals, myself included. The label is darling.

Wet, I get mostly a soft soapy impression. As it dries, the musk emerges. If my nose were better, I might be able to tell that it's red musk but I'm not that sensitive. Soon after, the patchouli slides into a partner position next to the musk, and I love me some patchouli so this was very welcome. The red patchouli note is interesting and I find it to be gorgeous with the red musk. What surprised me though is how soft the 'earthy, fallen leaves' part of the scent is. The 'soapy smell' gives way to a soft powdery earthy scent. Closing my eyes, I get a baby animal. Something of the wild, to be protected. My teenage son liked this immediately: "Oh, it's so FRESH".

This is a solid PE offering, on par with the Totem Animal releases. I could see myself wearing this either for work ( I have a high stress job as a supervisor and the throw of this is mild and work-friendly) or in the evening for comfort, meditation, or bedtime. I cannot compare this to any of the other woodsy scents, and I have tried a few by now. This is unique and soooooo lovely. If there was going to be a Totem Animals 2.0 release, I strongly suggest this as one of them. Thank you BlackCat !!!!!

So I had my evening shower and washed off the last traces of Six of Cups, and decided I couldn't wait to try Fox Medicine again.

First of all -- thanks for the amazing review, Androstenol, it really helped tide me over waiting for this! Your words are beautiful and really spot on. Yesterday when I first opened the bottle, I got the soapiness, and I think if I hadn't had your review to go by I might have been alarmed.

Tonight though I realized it's not quite soapiness in the bottle to my nose anymore -- there is a slightly gamey wildness to it that is wonderful.

And now slathered on... oh, this is just what I wanted! It's a gorgeous nature/woods scent. It's both soft and a little bit sharp. It's a little bit bright, and a little bit dark... I get the musk and the patchouli, and the fallen leaves are just perfect! Also -- I asked for ozone because I adore it as a note, but it often can overwhelm a scent for me. The ozone here is perfectly balanced, tempering the earthiness and introducing a bit of sky into the picture but not pounding the other notes into submission. The whole thing conveys a sense of being in the woods on a summer afternoon, with patches of sunlight between the trees, with a strong breeze coming through and maybe a bank of dark clouds building in the west to let you know some weather is on the way, and... catching a flash of red fur out of the corner of your eye, and a whiff of musk and animal and wild.

I am including the label here for your delectation because the cuteness!

AD-Jennifer-FoxMed.jpg

Jennifer's Fox Medicine

Exotic red musk, aged patchouli, ozone, and the dry earthy scent of fallen leaves on a forest floor.

Also, I love to read the meanings for notes, so I will put those here as well.

MUSK ~ Self confidence and strength, sexual attractant, heightens passions and arousal.

PATCHOULI ~ Soothes and uplifts; sensual, sexually stimulating, lust, fertility, money. Meditative and transforming.

AIR/OZONE ACCORD ~ Thought, communication, ideas, awareness.

I echo what was said above about wearing this for comfort, meditation and bed. And I can definitely see it as a great stealth scent, if I have to be somewhere official and somewhat stressful I can sneak a sniff and be transported to the freedom of the woods. This is magnificent, Mara, thank you so much!

PS. Full disclosure, I'm wearing the copped version of this as I review!

ETA: OMG, you guys, the drydown of this is so... I can't even! It's soft, warm and mellow but there is this little fizzy wave of energy to it that is out of this world! I can't believe I promised to give two bottles of this away!! :-)

Edited by Blackcat

Blackcat, you should be super proud of this. I've been meditating on the ozone because it's the only ingredient I haven't addressed and yes, it does give it that 'wind or gentle breeze' vibe. Makes it come alive, I can't even imagine with a phero blend...they really give scents an accentuated 3- d effect to me, like going from High definition TV to Ultra High. I absolutely treasure this, it's becoming rather emotional and also making me feel connected to you !!! Hugggggggs !

Oh, Androstenol, thanks for that! I had originally gone back and forth about boosting this with PM or OW but I am glad I decided not to. I can always add an Un if I feel it's needed, but this has so much power on its own, I'm not inclined to! I gave myself an extra swipe just before turning out the lights and I felt like I caught a whiff of pine resin.. so amazing!

And I know what you mean about the connection... I love sharing all LPs with other LPers, but the PEs have that extra element to them which makes me love them all the more. It's really special to come on here and read about how this thing that is so personal and emotional for me (ahem, you may have noticed I send Mara rather *tall* orders in terms of how much intent/evocation I want each to accomplish!) is also working for someone else. I also love being able to share in other people's PEs because they put so much of themselves into them. Hugs right back!! When/if you do a PE I'll be so fascinated to see what it is!

• 1 month later...

Cheesy! It is one of my all-time favorites, and yes, it was a small offering that went. BUT. I am probably going to ask for a rebrew in the next year or two because I ended up giving away more bottles than I expected to and this one soothes my soul like nobody's business. It gets gamier and pine pitch-ier and ever more grounding and earthy! I haven't checked with Mara to see if the ingredients are still available, but I trust that she could do something similar... speaking of which...

I am pondering ordering a winter variant when PEs open again. Stay tuned!

Cool! BC, you know I'll be all over that action! This sounds like one of those suuuper unique natural ones like Liquid Mystery,Sea Find, ect. More of a nature scent though...like a Jasmine Rain vibe, but its own thing.

Btw, sorry in advance for thread jacking, but I haven't seen Stormey. She good?

• 2 years later...

This reminds me of some of John's scents, in that it has that cool rainy walk in the woods kind of vibe. But the musk and resin do steer it towards more of a "wild" evocation, not unlike something like Totem: Wolf, for example. I actually like the ozone accord in this one because it has that "newly-fallen rain" kind of smell, as opposed to being too sharp or soapy. It all smells very super-natural, like an Autumn day you'd like to be out in where the air is fresh and all around you is the earthy/spicy scent of your surroundings.