Soul Food 2015

Beccah

AD-SoulFood15_1.jpg

Soul Food 2015

One of our best-selling resinous blends, imbued with the aura of sacred observances and of spiritual enlightenment and serenity. This smells familiar to you, you recognize it, perhaps from an earlier incarnation, it's a scent that is imprinted on our souls...all of the ingredients were utilized in the venerable traditions of mummification, and as tributes to the gods and for remembrance of the dead. A fragrance with the aura of an ancient temple: featuring a heart of sandalwood and benzoin, further resinous resonances of patchouli, frankincense and myrrh, and a sprinkle of earthy cinnamon.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Magickal Meanings of Ingredients:

SANDALWOOD ~ Healing, spirituality, exorcism, love, exotic, sensual atmospheric, aphrodisiac.
BENZOIN ~ Prosperity, astral projection, purification.
CINNAMON ~ Psychic powers, passion, lust, healing, protection, energy, creativity.
MYRRH ~ Stimulating, soothing, powerful guard against evil.
PATCHOULI ~ Soothes and uplifts, sensual, spiritual, sexually stimulating, lust, fertility, money.
FRANKINCENSE ~ Purification, consecration, protection, exorcism.

Ok, Soul Food 2015 is the perfect example of why I am an LP addict. This isn't perfume, it's art. This is simply one of the most gorgeous things I have ever smelled in my life. If I could only have 3 scents to choose from for the rest of my days, Soul Food would make the cut, along with LP Original. Very surprising to me, as before LPMP, I pretty much wore nothing that didn't have some form of musk in it.

I don't even know how to describe it, really, except with more adjectives. Don't be scared of the cinnamon, normally that amps on me like nobody's business, but it is behaving nicely here. I am just absolutely blown away.

Now please excuse me while I go huff my wrist some more :P

Awesome! I'll have to check this one out as well! The original Soul Food is absolutely amazing smelling. I have a partial bottle that I use for intent on occasion.

In the vial and on the skin this is an attention getter and the touch of cinnamon is just right, the notes play off each other nicely it's hard to say which are more distinctive they all dance around beautifully. Vibe wise I get strong, exotic and uplifting. Wasn't sure if this was a me scent at first but the drydown is sexy. Love reading the meanings and intents of the notes in this one, so powerful almost irresistable for intent work.

• 2 weeks later...

Not sure if I smelled the original Soul Food, but this incarnation smells really good. I smell this & I'm just like "this is a signature 'Mara' resin scent." I don't think I'll be getting a full bottle, but that has more to do with how often I end up reaching for these type of scents, not due to the scent itself.

It snowed in Calgary and the weather there traveled here and is causing unusual fall-like weather. This colder day seemed like the perfect day to try Soul Food. What a great scent! It's so beautiful! It's rich and warm. I was nervous the sandlewood would amp on me but it hasn't. When it dried down, the scent was a soft mellow beautiful scent. It makes me feel like I'm curled up in a giant overstuffed chair, next to a fire, with a nice warm beverage, and with the best companion(s) in the whole world and we're enjoying the great conversation and moment. I feel like I'm being hugged. And, it makes me want to spend some time with my sisters and my Mom.

I added a little more on this evening, before my part-time job, and I added some Sugared Marshmallow with it. It is a great combo!

Edited by tink333

• 5 weeks later...

This is beautiful. It really does smell very familiar to me, as a whole...of course I'm familiar with the notes, but the way they are put together is mastery. I think it's safe to say that nothing in here dominates over the others. It does open up more vanillic with benzoin, spend time in the middle with the sweet cola edge of frankincense and the delicious earth of patch, and the base is dry and woody/sweet from sandalwood. It does morph, but nothing 'goes away' to be replaced by the others, they just sort of swirl around each other in a haunting,ancient tableau.

The oil itself is actually a bit sticky on my skin. Not in a bothersome way, just a touch from the resins. It is lighter than expected, but in time this will deepen and meld even more, I'm sure it will reach a level of ecstasy that some may find hard to handle! But man, this is spellbinding. Love it! Will probably report back in 6 months to a year and report on its aged state.

I'm surprised there aren't more reviews on this! Also kinda surprised it's in the women's section. This one is totally unisex.

Memomare and Cheesy said it so well about the elegance and mastery of this scent. From reading it, I thought Soul Food 2015 would be more 'somber' like Spirit Bottle 2015. In the vial though, it's a subtle piece of indescribable glory. I think this perfume is feelings more than one particular scent. It's the memory of baking with grandma, curling up with a well-worn book under soft and heavy covers, nuzzling your face against a baby's soft skin, watching a fireplace crackle and burn... Even though my chemistry is trying to amp the patch, I think the benzoin and sandalwood are keeping it in check, with a barely there hint of cinnamon. It is dumb how gorgeous this is, lol.

I think this would be divine as a wax tart with a bonding phero like Heart & Soul or Perfect Match. (Wink, wink, nudge, nudge... lol :smiley-signs122: . Kinda.)

• 1 month later...

I loooooove Soul Food (the incarnation prior to this one), particularly because the sandalwood/parchment combo is perfection (both sweet and dry, and oh-so-heady) and lasts for hours and hours. I managed to snag two before it sold out and went through the first in record time. I know I should consider myself lucky for scoring it at all, but man do I wish I could've stocked up on that one!

For those who have sampled this new version and the previous one, how does the sandalwood compare?

I didn't review the ingredients when I tried this b/c I wanted to see if I could identify any specific notes with my prehistoric nose..

In the bottle: smelled something familiar, but couldn't name it. It's like the smell when I walk into the essential oil section at Trader Joe's. (which I LOVE and can never re-create on my skin)

First try: right away smell something warmly therapeutic. I want to say medicinal but not in a gross, off putting way but more of a healing warmth way if that makes any sense. Since my nose is so limited on scents I can name I'm going for feeling/state of mind invocation here :-).

30 min: drying down to…. sandalwood or cardamom? Like it. Also there is a sort of vanilla like smell similar to how LP red wears on me. *goes to check ingredients*

Okay so it's the benzoin that was medicinal/healing and it was warmed by the cinnamon/sandalwood. Mara this is a nice, rich, one. Spicy, but in a different way than I usually buy. I don't think I can smell the patchouli on me, though that was probably what I smelled in the vial (the Trader Joe smell that I'm alway's chasing). But I'm sure the Patch is working alongside the others to enhance them. Nice job. Will check back in after a couple hours

• 4 weeks later...

This is a good example of the difference travel shock and aging can have on a scent. When it first arrived, in the vial and on me, it smelled primarily of cinnamon and patchouli. What made me fall in love with the original Soul Food was the opening of earthy cinnamon giving way to a dry, haunting swirl of sandalwood and benzoin, so this was a big difference.

I set it aside to rest and tried it again four days later. Oh yeah...this is Soul Food all right. It's still more patchouli forward than the original for about the first hour, though it seems to be less the case with each passing day. The fragrance lasts a good 10-12 hours on me, and the cinnamon carries through almost to the end. In the previous version the cinnamon largely recedes after a good couple hours of running the show.

Part of me wishes the sandalwood was a bit more dominant in the long dry down, and then there it is, sneaking up on me a few hours later. This version maintains a more blended quality from beginning to end, so I think that's why I can't isolate the sandalwood as readily as the original. The benzoin is a touch sweeter and more vanilla-y here as well, but it still has that dry, parchment feel.

Truly exquisite. I LOVE it.

In the beginning this is a smoky incense, but there is so much more to it than just incense. The drydown is where the other components really come into play. I amp benzoin, which works to my advantage because that gives it a wonderful vanillic undercurrent that adds sweetness and depth to the frankincense and myrrh. There is also a certain warmth from the sandalwood which is enhanced by the hint of cinnamon (which I thankfully don't amp here), and also a sensuality from the patchouli. There is something ancient, yet comforting about this scent that I can't quite place.

• 7 months later...

At first application, Soul Food is deep and spicy. Not too much heat, more on the gourmand side without being a foody fragrance. During drydown the perfume becomes heady and increasingly intoxicating, whilst retaining a warmth and comforting vibe. The silage is fantastic, I am more than happy to have this perfume linger for hours.

• 3 months later...

I love Soul Food 2015. It is such a comforting scent. It has a calming way about it. My review above from 2015 still holds true to this day. I'm currently visiting my niece at college and she gets homesick a lot. This is her second year of school here and she works as well so she doesn't get the chance to get home very often anymore. For some reason, I grabbed my FB of Soul Food to bring with me on this trip. I decided the reason why was so I could give it to my niece. She needs this comforting potion way more than I do. Just speading the LPMP magic and love around. FYI She absolutely LOVES IT and said it smells just like home to her. ❤❤❤