Jennifer's Summer Shine

Black Cat

AD-JenniferSummerShine.jpg

Jennifer's Summer Shine

Rich tropical coconut and marshmallow fluff melded with a softer subdued pink grapefruit oil and a few drops of banana.

COCONUT ~ Chastity, protection, purification, receptivity.

MARSHMALLOW ROOT ~ Fertility, happiness, creativity, increase in psychic awareness, intuition, love, protection, exorcism. Gently commanding and persuading.

GRAPEFRUIT ~ Refreshes and uplifts the spirit, eases exhaustion; beauty and youth glamour. Lends an aura of "sparkle" to the wearer.

BANANA ~ Fertility, potency, prosperity; lightens emotional burdens.

As people read in the PE thread, I asked Mara to pack quite a lot of intent into this one! Because I'm on an academic schedule, summer is the time when I get to the roughest therapy work, so I wanted a kind of fortifying protection potion for having to talk about hard, ugly things. At the same time, I wanted the protection in the form of a glamour potion -- so that I could feel sparkly and pretty despite the hard stuff. So I chose notes based on magickal meanings, but I was also pretty specific in terms of what I wanted the scent to be.

This one has taken the longest to settle down from travel, and also it has to be worn on its own because it's more delicate and subtle than any of the other PEs I've tried from this batch. It's wonderful! I love grapefruit, but as I told Mara, sometimes the grapefruit scents go a little too classically "perfumey" on me and cause headaches. This is a grapefruit I can wear! I also mentioned that I was hoping for something in the family of Valerie's Misty Melon Patch, one of my all time favorite LPs ever, which is very organic and almost sheer in its texture. I wanted the gauziness but with a little more staying power.

I am having trouble picking out individual notes because this is blended so perfectly, but as I sit with it I get a marvelous soft creamy base of coconut and banana, which is fluffed up and leavened by the marshmallow, and then the grapefruit adds a beautiful sparkle. My other coconut summer favorites -- Coconut Breeze, Sweet Surrender, Key Lime Kiss -- are very beachy, and I like that this has a different feel to it. It's comfortable, but there is a bit of elegance to it at the same time; it would not be out of place anywhere!

I also have to tell the following story -- my package arrived on Friday. I immediately put on about 6 different PEs for test patches (not a good idea) and by the time I got to Summer Shine, my sniffer was overwhelmed and I couldn't get really get anything, let alone figure out why everyone was raving about it! I knew I needed to give it time and test it on its own, so I wasn't too worried. Anyway, then I got hit with allergies and a bad headache so I hopped in the shower and washed everything off.

A couple of hours later I went to dinner at my folks. When I sat down, my mother sniffed the air and demanded, "What are you wearing? You smell WONDERFUL." I asked her what she was smelling and she said, "I can't even describe it. It's wonderfully evocative though!" I gave her a couple of different places to sniff, and when she got to the washed Summer Shine wrist she immediately said, "That's it!" and before I knew it she had gotten me to promise to give her a bottle. Such is the power of LP magic!

By the way, as I am sitting here, the drydown is getting creamier and coconuttier and ever more wonderful. I am so thrilled with this -- thank you thank you Mara!!!!

I am really curious to hear how this is wearing on other people!!

On me this is a very creamy, summery skin scent. Coconut has that warm skin quality I find delicious. It's got the very barest hint of citrus that hangs around, making it sparkle just a bit. I honestly think I prefer this over Celebutante, they have the same vibe to me, and this is more congruent to who I am.

Awesome review, katz! You are exactly right that it is one of those wonderful skin scents... I have worn this a few days in a row now and I am loving it more all the time.

I also forked over a bottle to my mom, who is also wearing it every day and loving it!

This is wearing on me as a perfume-y coconut. It's got to be the grapefruit. The scent is beautiful. More of something I would wear on a date night in the summer or to work. It's not the type of coconut scent you wear in your daisy Dukes and a bikini top. It's creamy but has a sparkly brightness that really just shines.

Jennifer's Summer Shine

Rich tropical coconut and marshmallow fluff melded with a softer subdued pink grapefruit oil and a few drops of banana.

I really hope I'm not out of line posting a review of this before the creator, but I'm not sure what her forum name is and this scent is just too amazing not to share.

You know those marshmallows rolled in coconut? I can never find them but I scarf them like an idiot when I do. Anyway, think of yourself being surrounded in clouds of those, swirled with creamy banana and given an irresistible citrusy zing by pink grapefruit. And while citrus can burn off on me sometimes, the tangy contrast here actually lasts. There's a bit more citrus in the wet stage, and more vanilla marshmallow on the drydown, but it's heavenly either way. I could roll in it forever.

Edited by Invidiana

It's Blackcat's PE. ^^

This is next up on the PEs for an all day run.

From my first short try I got a soft skin scent with a touch of "shine".

The creamy coconut and banana mingle on a lovely layer of Marshmallow root. I like the contrast of the sparkly sprinkle of grapefruit. Definitely a scent that exudes an aura of casual elegance. On my skin it's more of an elegant sandal or relaxed strappy heel than flip flops.

Very nicely done.

Edited by StacyK

• 2 weeks later...

Love these reviews!

I wore this again today and wanted to report that it just gets better and better. It's such a soft scent -- I was feeling a little anxious and may have overslathered, but it stays so subtle and close wearing. It starts off with that gorgeous citrus sparkle, and then the longgggggg dry down is that wonderful coconut cream skin scent katz described. A couple of people have commented that they are sure they recognize the scent, but they just can't place it, which I think is really interesting since I am pretty sure none of them are LP forum members! But I think it does have, despite its elegance, a very familiar comforting presence.

I also have been wearing it for intent, and it's a home run there too. It sounds ridiculous, but one of the biggest problems I have with doing this intense therapy is that my therapist has an office on Main Street in my very small town, and the five minute walk to and from there always feels like a minefield. I've been wearing Summer Shine to appointments and when I feel unsteady I just discreetly smell my wrist and it really makes me feel that protective glamour, so that if I'm unfortunate enough to run into someone I know, I can pull it together and not be a dazed wreck. It's a quieter more grounded kind of glamour than the one I get with Glamour Puss or my brief experiments with Celebutante... just what I'm needing this summer.

Edited by Blackcat

I got this and tried it and thought, hm I like it but don't LOOOOVE it the way i expected to (I think the banana is a bit of a question mark on me). The grapefruit is indeed surprisingly mellow and smooth, not bitter or pointy at all, and yet not because it is overly sweet. Since then I have worn it at least twice a day :D so it has an ADDICTIVE POWER

Edited by tyvey

I can't do this one. Wet I love it to death. But the drydown produces what smells to me like a fuzzy white musk. It must be the grapefruit. I can't do cougar either. Or maybe the kind of coconut. Wahh. I really thought I'd love this one.

I love this! It sits close to my skins, smells summery and wonderful, all coconutty with that bright sparkle of grapefruit -- the banana is creamy in the background, but doesn't ever take the stage.

I mixed up some with Gotcha! in a spray and I love it! I layer the spray over the oil and put a teensy bit of cops on my tummy -- I'm a people magnet! lol! I feel so pretty when I wear this -- feminine and friendly -- totally girl-next-door. BF loves this scent, too, which is always a plus. :)

• 6 months later...