Tara's Grimoire

Guest cutie.pie

Guest cutie.pie

image_zpsjxvouhvk.jpg

Tara's Grimoire

Tara asked for: A leatherbound tome with dry thin pages. Perhaps with a whiff of incense and the hint of magic.

I really like Tara's ideas and this was a fun one to make, ...I think I nailed it.

Aged sandalwood and myrrh resins, plus little drops of smoke, benzoin resinoid, leather and earth.

This smells so much like a leather bound tome when wet. It is mysterious and magickal. Right now, it seems to wear close to the skin, soft and smokey with the leather adding a smooth sexy quality. To me, it evokes power, mystery and confidence. Like you've read that big book of magickal secrets and you know what to do with that knowledge.

I love it and I love the label which works so well with the amber color of potion. :)

• 2 weeks later...

AHHHH...Anyone else get this?? I mean I'm sure its all gone anyway, but this kind of specific thing fascinates me. Any more reviews?

I'm especially curious about that sandalwood, I'm guessing its the "paper " part of the scent, right?

Yeah I like the idea of this scent too plus I like leather and Mara states she thinks she nailed this, so many green lights I'm seeing for this one personally. It's taken me almost two years but I feel like I'm finally getting an instinct for picking out a good match for me when it fomes to PE's. For the first year and a half I was reallly unsure of getting a PE cause I had no clue how notes would blend in fact I felt like it was a whole different language. One of my goals on this site, to better understand scents, slowly I'm learning.

I got this one and preliminary sniffs at bottle have been very promising, but as with my Persephone I've been afraid to give a full slathering trial because it has been so hot here, and I'm afraid I'll trigger a bad headache (resins in hot weather often do that for me, I've learned) and link that unpleasant memory with the scent. I'll see if I can stay up late to the cool hours tonight and give it a whirl!

So I pulled this one out late last night and dabbed it on. Wet I get leather first and foremost.... and it is unlike any other leather note I've smelled before in an LP, I think! I have no idea how Mara does it, but yes, this one totally has ancient tome leather written all over it. Then the resins emerge, and the smoke and earth right behind them. The earth note is a dry, almost dusty one to my nose -- just perfect for this. It is a very evocative scent and perfectly embodies the concept. In the dry down the leather is less of a standout and the individual notes blend to an earthy, resin-y, leather-y mix that has a sense of primitive power to it. I think it would be amazing for ritual or meditation use, but it's also a very sophisticated complex scent that works as a perfume in a way that is similar to Totem Bat for me (though the scents are very different from each other). Unlike Bat, though, I think this one is absolutely unisex -- men, if you are a fan of leather or resins you should take a close look at this one!

So I pulled this one out late last night and dabbed it on. Wet I get leather first and foremost.... and it is unlike any other leather note I've smelled before in an LP, I think! I have no idea how Mara does it, but yes, this one totally has ancient tome leather written all over it.

Exactly! Thank you for the detailed review! I am very happy with how it turned out. I agree with you about the hot weather and resin scents though I do wish I could have tried your Persephone potion. The notes sound wonderful. I am sure both it and this will be great to wear in the Fall. :)

• 3 weeks later...

This one is amazing for fall. There's a reason I wore it to the RenFaire, because it smells like magic. The leather has a significant presence like I hoped, and there is the coolness of earth somewhere in the background though ti doesn't smell like dirt per se. The sandalwood and myrrh are just really mysterious and almost otherworldly, and it gets a little vanillic sweetness from the benzoin though not in the food sense. And of course there's no way this could be without smoke. The smoke note just ties it together. Lives up to its name!

I was really happy that Mara put the Myrrh in there. I love amber and myrrh...okay, I love just about any and all resins but one of my favorite scents consisted mostly of amber and myrrh and now it is no more.

I find that I want to layer this with other things. It smells good on its own but I loved it with Spirit Bottle and the other day I was thinking...Oooh I should put Grimoire with...something that I don't remember now. (I hate getting good ideas at work and then forgetting them later.) It does smell very magical and mysterious to me also. I adore it so much that I feel a huge temptation to order more PE's. :blush:

• 3 months later...

I just got this one yesterday and I tested a tiny bit of on my wrists. It gave me an instant thought of wisdom in a bottle. I could smell the leather and smoke and a softness to it. I think I'm going to love this one! I'm going to wear it today and will write up a better review later.

I've worn this all day today. I am surprised by how light it is on me. It's so similar to Persephone Potion in that manner. I love everything about this one. As a scent, it's mysterious, soft, dry. It's a subtle blend of leather, resins, and smoke. And just like with Persephone Potion, I will wear this often. I love the uniqueness of this as a scent. I'm having a difficult time describing the scent itself. It's a perfect balance, not too resiny and not too smokey. It's unisex and doesn't lean towards feminine nor masculine which is a big part of the beauty and mystery of it.

This definitely gives a sense of magic and an ancient wisdom. It evokes images of a large room with shelves from floor to ceiling on all the walls, dim light, candles, dusty air, tables, desks, with wizardy things all around. It's strong and grounding. It's magic and knowledge in a bottle. Blackcat, I 100% agree with what you said about how Grimoire and Persephone Potion being companion scents. Such a magical idea and magical result!

Edited by tink333

I'm a huge Harry Potter fan and everything about this blend brings me back to HP. I love wearing this on the days I want to be bait mystical… It reminds me of being in an old bookstore and going thru old books and just smelling that old smell of books and leather…This is simply amazing on...

I've worn this all day today. I am surprised by how light it is on me. It's so similar to Persephone Potion in that manner. I love everything about this one. As a scent, it's mysterious, soft, dry. It's a subtle blend of leather, resins, and smoke. And just like with Persephone Potion, I will wear this often. I love the uniqueness of this as a scent. I'm having a difficult time describing the scent itself. It's a perfect balance, not too resiny and not too smokey. It's unisex and doesn't lean towards feminine nor masculine which is a big part of the beauty and mystery of it.

This definitely gives a sense of magic and an ancient wisdom. It evokes images of a large room with shelves from floor to ceiling on all the walls, dim light, candles, dusty air, tables, desks, with wizardy things all around. It's strong and grounding. It's magic and knowledge in a bottle. Blackcat, I 100% agree with what you said about how Grimoire and Persephone Potion being companion scents. Such a magical idea and magical result!

Oh, tink, I'm so glad you got this one! What a great review... and you remind me that I want to try it *with* Persephone at some point...

The old tome was of magic was definitely what I was hoping for. I loved it with Spirit Bottle and can't wait until the bottle of that comes from Cutie Pie so that I can put them together again. My sister said Grimoire smelled soapy to her. >_

This combined with Spirit Bottle would be incredibly powerful! I think this combined with Persephone Potion would be too. I wonder what else would be good with this? For some reason Ashes to Dust, Soul Food, and Blessing Oil immediately popped into my head. When I combine this with other potions, I'll let you know.

I wonder if the sandalwood possibly reminded your sister of soap? I definitely don't get a soapiness to this though. That's kind of funny!

And one thing I noticed about this is the scent lingered with me into the next day. This is not a heavy scent and it wears so close to the skin so it surprised me that it lasted on me for so long. It was faint but it was still there. Love it!

Edited by tink333

I loved the whole concept of this PE. I can't imagine why I've waited so long to try it fully. Both my kids commented that it smells like paint -- that's when it's wet, it's the leather. It turns into a wonderful feminine leather. It's neutral, so I think you could mix it with almost anything. But I wouldn't bother because I like it just the way it is. I smell mostly sandalwood and leather. It's not real sweet, but I feel it definitely smells feminine. This is my most favorite leather scent so far (aside from Bad Boy 2015, but that one is definitely for the husband).