The scent of vagina...

I have several male friends who talk pretty openly about sex. One thing I have noticed is how often they rave about the smell (particularly the smell on their fingers) after they have been with a woman.

I also have a few friends who are strippers, and they have told me that they use their own vaginal secretions as perfume. They also claim to make more money when they're ovulating, which makes sense.

So all this begs the question, why is Essence of Woman the only product trying to mimic the smell of a womans vagina? Most products either rely on odorless pheromones (which can feel snake oily), or floral scents (which are a dime a dozen).

I do believe in pheromones, and I know they can be odorless, but that is missing the point. There is an undeniable MENTAL association between smell and arousal. If it simply reminds the brain of 'that' region of the body, no pheromones are needed (although they can amplify the effect).

The question - Has anyone tried to identify the components in your own scent, maybe even brew your own 'vagina perfume'? I have always found my scent to be something like vinegar/hot sauce. Another term I have heard tossed around these forums is 'butt cheese', which is somewhat accurate. Remember, vaginas aren't supposed to smell like flowers.

*I should mention one other product - Vulva Original, which seemed to acknowledge the power of 'this smell'. I did get a chance to smell it years ago, but found it to be nothing more than cheap perfume (typical) with slight hints of musk/urine. It's a shame the company seems to have given up after just one attempt.

Edited by PrimalGirl

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not sure why there are so few companies using this idea. My guess is that, for the most part, the pool of research in this area is somewhat limited. However, you would think that perfumers would be right on top of this kind of research. I'm not really sure what the deal is there.

I do know that in The Joy of Sex they mention that using your own vaginal secretions works as an aphrodisiac. I think they used the term, "cassoulet", if memory serves correctly, because French women have been doing it for ages. So it's not like the practice is unknown. I tried it myself, years ago, before I discovered the world of pheromones and copulins, and yes, it does work remarkably well. Incidentally, I was also making and wearing my own perfumes of essential oils at the time, most of which were based around those that are considered to have aphrodisiac properties. One blend I made - a mix of jasmine, rose, neroli and sandalwood - was particularly effective in that capacity.

Why more commercial perfumers wouldn't try to take advantage of something that would clearly make their perfume fly of the shelves is beyond me.

The thing to remember about the commercial beauty industry is how many millions of dollars they spend reminding females that they need to control every aspect of their physical existence and that includes body odors of all kinds. This is why I would assert that the commercial realm will never ever enter into the copulin-analog realm in the same way Dr. Stone and some others have done. That said, it is relatively easy to recreate the scent of sex, which is different from the the scent of vaginal secretions, and perfumery has engaged in such a quest for decades, all the way back to the 1930s, perhaps earlier. It will always be a niche, however, simply because there are also cultural prejudices against what is considered proper perfume, not only as a matter of aesthetics but also language, in a (literal) sense. As scent is the most evocative of the senses, perfume has to carefully walk that line between sensuality and palatability Thanks to artisan and niche perfumery those definitions are becoming broader, and that type of sex analog is more popular now, but it will never be widespread, IMO.

The question - Has anyone tried to identify the components in your own scent, maybe even brew your own 'vagina perfume'?

There's at least two people I'm aware of who tried to do just that, with varying results. One of them is now out of business, I'm not sure about the other one.

Why more commercial perfumers wouldn't try to take advantage of something that would clearly make their perfume fly of the shelves is beyond me.

I agree. It's shocking that this concept has been around since ancient Egypt, and nobody has capitalized on it. When a company can accurately synthesis the smell of a healthy fertile vagina, women (AND men, for different reasons) will line up to hand over their wallets.

And before anyone asks 'why not just use your own scent', there are a few problems with that. First, as many women know, as we age, our scent changes. Also, different times of the month can result in different scents. And, if you're on the pill, you may not have much of a scent at all. Thus, a synthetic alternative would be invaluable.

Most products either rely on odorless pheromones (which can feel snake oily), or floral scents (which are a dime a dozen).

I do believe in pheromones, and I know they can be odorless, but that is missing the point. There is an undeniable MENTAL association between smell and arousal. If it simply reminds the brain of 'that' region of the body, no pheromones are needed (although they can amplify the effect).

Pheromones are not odorless, they're usually disguised with fragrance. How we perceive them will be dependant upon our particular physiology.

Yes, I think I've tried the "cassoulet" method, years back before I knew about pheromones, lol. I prefer to stick with what's available here these days.... I do know that a good probiotic regimen is invaluable to keeping one's feminine region in tip top shape, plus there's a new company starting that's offering customized probiotic regimens. You swab your vagina, send it back, they analyze it & send you the proper supplements.

Have you checked out some of the SLF scents here, yet?

Thus, a synthetic alternative would be invaluable.

And that's exactly why EoW is so successful, I would imagine. Personally, I don't have an issue with the recipe Dr. Stone is using for whenever I might desire to utilize cops. Anyone who has taken issue with his product and tried to come up with an alternative hasn't managed to successfully crack the niche, as far as I'm aware.

I agree. EoW is the "IT" of cops. As luna mentioned earlier, women have been conditioned and still are, to get RID of our own scent. I think this is why the audience for perfumes in the animalic category has dwindled. It's not only about animal cruelty since many of these things, civet, for example, can be fairly well synthesized in a lab. It is more that perception of it being associated with uncleanliness. I adore VINTAGE Shalimar, which has a fair amount of civet as an ingredient, but the new version being marketed to today's consumers has been cleaned up beyond recognition to my nose. Personally, I don't care what others think. I still love it. Beccah, you are right about the importance of maintaining a healthy vaginal PH and the antibiotics are important. Love the info you posted on the personalized prohibitive regimen, since it is SO personal.

It's nice to find other women who 'get it'. Scent alone is such a powerful evoker of emotion/desire.

For example, I love the smell of cinnamon, because it is deeply anchored to childhood memories of Christmas time. To my knowledge, there are no pheromones in cinnamon, but it still has a very powerful effect on my mood. I think for men (and lesbian/bisexual women), the raw pungent smell of a vagina works the same way.

So although the science behind copulins/pheromones is still in its infancy, if we could merely replicate the odor portion of the equation, I think that may be enough. I've looked at the ingredients of EoW, and there are a lot of 'acid' elements, I wonder which are most responsible for the aroma?

There must be enough off the shelf components for an amateur perfumer to come close? I mentioned vinegar before, anyone have any other thoughts/ideas?

So my dad is kinda a perv. When I would go visit for the Summer as a kid I would always be in the spare room which was also his personal library and included his dirty magazines and books. One time when I was about 12 I came across a scratch and sniff card in a book that was supposed to smell like vag. I was of course intrigued so I scratched and sniffed. It was pretty accurate really. There have been many perfumes and scented products in the last century who have tried to duplicate the smell. It's definitely not a new thing. There wouldn't be women selling their dirty panties if there wasn't a demand for it. As far as breaking down the actual fragrance I think that's probably going to vary a lot woman to woman. A lot of people say stinky cheese or vinegar. I don't get those from my own personal honeypot. Not really fruity either. But definitely sweet.

Other than EOW the only LP that smells of pure, straight up sex to me is Cats Eye. It's beautiful, musky, warm sex.

About the vaginal secretions.. the idea, as I understand it is that the EOW is specifically designed to mimic the "...secretions of a healthy young woman..". So even with probiotics galore and a healthy PH balanced diet (most critical IMO) which is important for many reasons, you probably won't hit that exact balance that EOW achieved.

@Rose - It's interesting you mention civet. It reminded me of American Hustle, where Jennifer Lawrence says her perfume has almost a foul scent to it (flowers and garbage or something). There is something sexual about dirty/musky almost foul scents, perhaps a throwback to our primal days before we washed so often. Is it a coincidence that vaginas smell dirty/musky almost foul?

There have been many perfumes and scented products in the last century who have tried to duplicate the smell. It's definitely not a new thing.

This is news to me. Other than the products mentioned in this thread, I am not aware of any that aren't maksed by strong floral scents. (I will have to check out Cats Eye, thanks StacyK).

As far as breaking down the actual fragrance I think that's probably going to vary a lot woman to woman. A lot of people say stinky cheese or vinegar.

After a quick google search some other things that came up...

Valerian root (kinda has a dirty socks smell)

Elmer's Glue (that one made me laugh, but I can kinda see it)

Vinegar (came up a lot)

Cheese/bread (could have something to do with yeast/bacteria?)

However, one missconception that needs to be put to rest is - FISH. If your vagina has a fishy smell to it, you likely have some kind of infection.

Great Topic!

My hunch on the fishy is it happens when a woman has been turned on and gets wet and doesn't do anything to clean it up for a while. The moisture gets all stinky. When the panties are pulled down it'll blow your hair back!

I fortunately have only encountered a couple fishy stink bombs in my day. My brother dated a girl once (VERY BRIEFLY) that stunk all the time. You could smell her through her pants. She was only like 21 too.

To be sure...if it smells like trout, stay out!

I've heard that your diet can affect the smell too. Supposedly, eating lots of fresh fruits make you smell/taste good, while lots of red meat/dairy does the opposite.

Fish smell is not normal or healthy eew!

Edited by hearts

When I was 19 I had a roommate that smelled so bad down there. I swear if she borrowed my clothes I couldn't get her smell off of them. So I had to stop letting her borrow my clothes. Which is hard when you have five teenage girls living in one apartment. It's like a communal closet. I literally had to throw away my favorite pair of sweatpants. She was in love with my boyfriend's cousin. CThey hooked up once and then he ran for the hills because she smelled bad. Ironic that now she owns a cleaning company. She was always a clean freak. We would be having a multi kegger at our place and she would walk around during the party scrubbing the walls with a sponge and cleanser. I don't think it was an infection because I lived with her for over six months. And OMG during her period I couldn't stand to be in the same room with her. Stank puss.

Ugh halo, thats a nasty situation! I have heard of a medical condition that can make people, male or female, emit a horrible fish like smell, and not just from the genital area, but all over! And no matter how vigorously these people wash or deodorize, it is to no avail. It's a sad thing really, but at the same time,you can't blame people for not wanting to be near them. Hearts, I have heard the same thing about eating pineapple, strawberries, celery, etc. I am pretty sure that how we smell or taste can be directly affected by what we eat and drink to a good degree. Garlic, onions, strong spices, can all be detected in someone's breath and perspiration. Consider the notorious way that asparagus can make a healthy person's urine smell! There are other potential causes as well, such as medications, supplements, health issues, and yes, as luna said, PH. Ideally, we want our PH to not be either too acidic ( that could be related to the vinegar smell you mentioned, PrimaGirl) or too alkaline, though a highly acidic PH is what is usually to blame for many health problems and an issue in and of itself. I suppose that the bottom line is that everyone, aside from the variables, is going to have a scent that is natural to them. Since humans emit their own type of musk, it will be capable of turning "funky" if left unwashed. But this is where sensible hygiene comes in. It's doubtful that anyone is going to give off a scent naturally that resembles Summer's Eve. LOL! But it should never be offensive to the point where something smells BAD! We get to know our own bodies and what is natural for us. If our scent changes, we need to consider why this might be and address the problem, but humans are animals not fruit or vegetables. Fauna, not flora, so it shouldn't be too much of a surprise if we emit more muskiness than fruitiness or floral bouquets.It's just nice if it's a CLEAN muskiness for most of us. Some, like Napoleon though, have a preference for an overly ripe and uncleansed musk! Not what most of us want to smell, or smell like that, but that kink is definitely there. BTW, has anyone heard of, or tried a perfume called Magnificent Secretions? Search THAT one and check out the description! Not for the fans of fresh and clean from what I have read!

Yeah I'd read about that one at Lucky Scent a while back...there was another niche perfumer who did the same thing a few years back. I can't remember the name of that one, though, I think it was a French word or phrase. And like I said, this kind of thing goes all the way back to the 1930s, at least, with Tabu - for example - which was designed to be sexually provocative, a very different thing, from an aesthetic viewpoint, in terms of what perfume was supposed to represent from a semiotic perspective.

It's like how Jouir de was so polarizing to many people here, it wasn't provoking neutral reactions. It's a fine line, and it is subjective, because perfume is an art as well as a utilitarian product. It's all chemistry, but not only the chemistry of the juice.

@Rose - I have heard of that perfume, never smelled it though...

There wouldn't be women selling their dirty panties if there wasn't a demand for it.

An excellent point. Add this to the list of possible applications. A woman could make a FORTUNE selling panties that could be 'mass produced' (chuckling as I write this). But seriously, imagine if you didn't have to wear them all day. I would be tempted to try this with EoW, but I think you'd need to use quite a bit in order for the scent to linger long enough on fabric...

And you're right, each woman does smell different, based on many factors (like the ones mentioned in this thread: diet, ph, etc...). So there would need to be many subtle variations. One EoW/Vulva Original just won't cut it.

Exactly, luna. There have been mmany, the one you are trying to recall might be Sauvage? Here is the link to the reviews of Secretions Magnefique on Fragrantica. I find them really entertaining. lol! http://www.fragrantica.com/perfume/Etat-Libre-d-Orange/Secretions-Magnifiques-4523.html And yes, as you say with the Jouir De, on my skin there is definitely an undeniable SLF aspect to it, but on my skin, it turns into something really pretty. Tabu, as you pointed out, was designed to smell like something that a prostitute would wear and I think it captures that well. BUT ask someone today and they will say that it smells like a granny! It's highly subjective. Guerlain's Jicky, which preceded Shalimar was met with shock and seen as scandalous. Shalimar as it used to be, was preceived as either "slutty, "beautiful," or like a powdery old grandma! I find all of this fascinating. :say19:

Here's an interesting consideration:

Womanity by Thierry Mugler, which was created in 2010, is a rather controversial scent, but some think it does have a vaginal aura to it in the drydown and that seems to be directly related to the use of a caviar accord/essence. So probably quite a few people do seem to hold onto that particular misconception of fishy=pussy. It's the fecundity of the sea, our most essential shared memory.

For me, there's nothing simpler than using the honey/amber/musk equation to evoke sex, and it's not about smelling like I'm ovulating but rather that I radiate a particular aura which makes someone think of sex when they smell me, even if it's just a subtle whiff. That's why I think an SLF-type scent is more effective for me than using copulins, though that's not to discount the value of copulins in general.

Yes they are ^

A little OT but related...

I have to say that I don't know how, but I found my bottle of OCCo White in my sons room. ???

I just picked it up and put it back. I have not brought it up lol. I'm guessing I left it on my table (as opposed to putting it away) and maybe he saw the lable and sniffed it?? Then he just loved it? IDK. I haven't worn it in a long time and I don't wear cops around my kids so I'm just guessing it was something he picked up.

He likes LP and has a little stash of 6 or 7 of his own and has given a couple to his GF. IDK I just put it away and put it out if my mind.

But it did strike me that it obviously fascinated him quite a bit.

Edited by StacyK

But it did strike me that it obviously fascinated him quite a bit.

That is why I don't even wear cops around my son now. I'll wear it after I drop him off at school. At 13, there is enough of distractions already and there's no need for one more.

Oh I never wear cops around the kids. To many teens in and out to even waste my time.

It's been quite awhile since I've even worn the OCCo White.

it's not a big deal, though I did think about it. But, mostly it struck me as funny.

I talked to one of my stripper friends and mentioned the whole 'synthetic used panties' idea. Apparently she knows some women who have made a killing selling their panties online. Assuming you could mass produce the 'perfume', it seems like there could be a lot of money here...

This may not be the best place to ask, but has anyone ever heard of women doing this before? I suppose there is an ethical argument to be made, but the whole porn/sex industry is based on fantasy anyway, so I don't think it's wrong to sell people 'fake' panties, IF the aroma is convincing.

I talked to one of my stripper friends and mentioned the whole 'synthetic used panties' idea. Apparently she knows some women who have made a killing selling their panties online. Assuming you could mass produce the 'perfume', it seems like there could be a lot of money here...

This is exactly what "Jour De" smelled like to me.

lol!

Hah I've heard good things about that show. How were they faking the smell?

Something w/ honey, tuna, & soy sauce. Completely unrealistic to try IRL. Honestly, it would probably be hard to fake used panties because men that are buying them also expect the panties to have a certain look to them. I remember this one instance, I was 21 & was drunk. My friend & I were at a White Castle getting food (to sober up). This guy was flirting with me & ended up asking for my panties. My drunk, stupid self gave him the pair I was wearing before we left. He ended up calling me, saying they weren't a pair that I had worn because they were "too clean." Whatever that means, & eww to the panties he must be used to getting. So I would assume from that incident, that panties that haven't genuinely been worn probably wouldn't be a big hit in that market.

Hi PrimalGirl- EOW is a super effective and useful product as you've probably seen from all the reviews. What is your actual pertinent question/comment re LP pheromones? Not a mod and I defer to them but not seeing the relevance so at minimum it seems maybe this isn't the right section for this thread and the information you want

Edited by tyvey

Well it kinda looks like the OP is asking for a recipe for synthetic vagine scent to use for commercial purposes.

Well not exactly. We got side tracked after halo mentioned the whole used panties thing (never really thought about it before). But the original intention of the thread was to discuss the idea that scent alone (with or without pheromones) could be used as a perfume/male attention grabber. If it mimicked 'that part' of the female anatomy.

I am not a perfumer myself, so I have no way of making any money off this idea. I posted here on the forums because I was hoping to get the opinion of others who understood the power of scent/pheromones. I also posted here hoping to hear from someone at LP saying that they were aware of all this, and had some more EoW style scents in the works.

So back on topic - If you have any ideas, or knowledge of companies who are in this 'space', please share. As we have already discussed, the potential applications are huge, and the power is undeniable. So why are we stuck with just one product (EoW)? If we can split the atom, surely we can synthesize 'vagina scent', right?

Well first of all we are not stuck with EoW. Lol. That doesn't sound so good. EoW is an amazingly effective and versatile product. We carry many many vehicles for this amazing gift from Phil Stone by way of Astrid Jutte. EoW is the only copulin product that is backed up with scientific studies that prove it's efficacy. It is a wonderous product. Secondly we carry a second product that is a plant based faux vagina juice with suspected pheromone effects. It's called Aja. You should definitely check it out. You can get a sample for $5. It layers beautifully with tons of scents. I like your original idea of making a vaginal secretion perfume. We offer a program to make custom perfumes with up to four notes called Private Editions. Those will be open in the next few weeks. Maybe you could start taking notes daily about how your own personal copulin maker smells to you. Over several weeks you should be able to track subtle differences that might help you nail down what vagina perfume should smell like.

True, halo. EoW is THE BOMB and hardly anything to be looked upon as something we are stuck with. It's powerful stuff, and like the pheros offered here at LPMP, you will find nothing better out there. I am grateful to have found such an ethical, trustworthy, and reliable source. I'll pass on all the rest, thank you.

For me, EOW and Aja, along with the SLF scents around here... I think I'm covered if I want to smell like a potent sexed up vagina lol. That's just me though. Honey smells smutty as hell on me.

But, Halos suggestion of a PE might be something you could look into.

Edited by hearts

I said much the same four days ago, in terms of those SLF-type scents.

To be blunt: trying to envision variations on EoW strikes me as reinventing the wheel. But attempting to come up with a perfume which mimics your own secretions? Perfectly okay. And something only you can do.