Harrison's Private Edition

AD-PE-Harrison.jpg

Harrison asked for a raisin-tobacco scent, and I think I hit this one spot on. A base of non-foody vanilla blended with cured tobacco and roasted tea leaves, layered with a thick raisin note and a few drops of bourbon. I think this will be fabulously sexy on a man. I'd wear it too.

Just received the bottles yesterday. Opened one and did a small swipe. I couldn't resist, even though there may be travel shock. I'll give a quick review to get the ball rolling. Harrison will chime in after I deliver his stash in a few days.

To me, the initial impact is a sweet tobacco with raisin following quickly on the heels. This is rich, heady, reminds me of film images of fine gentleman's clubs. This blooms on the skin. The warmer it gets, the richer the scent becomes. The dry vanilla and bourbon add depth and heat, and the roasted tea pulls the tobacco forward without adding smoke. I'll stop here and review again in a few days.

Niiice.

It refers to the temperature changes a package goes through in transit, which can potentially have an effect on the fragrance when you first receive it. Sometimes it's best to let it settle for a day or two before you try it.

Wendy, I'm changing the thread title just so it matches with the actual name of the PE.

• 2 weeks later...

I'll go backwards with this one in terms of my impressions.

I love the drydown, it's smooth and subtle and the vanilla note is really intriguing. It lends the scent a sort of "tailored" impression, if that makes sense. Expensive and well-groomed. The tobacco quality of it becomes less literal to me in the drydown - it is there, but it's in the background.

The wet stage is a wee bit overwhelming to me...the raisin accord gives the blend a moist evocation, tobacco before it's cured. But it begins to pull back after a few minutes. The bourbon also lends it a touch of that same kind of sweetness, so they compliment each other. I actually wish there was a touch more of the roasted tea leaves - a note I adore for its' tobacco evocation - but it helps with the overall impression in the drydown. This is a great scent for guys (though I'm not sure if Quince will be willing to try it) but I like it for me in that it's so interesting, it's not like other tobacco scents I have and I'm curious to layer it with other things like Ares, for example, to see how it blends with other masculine notes.

• 2 weeks later...

Harrison asked for a raisin-tobacco scent, and I think I hit this one spot on. A base of non-foody vanilla blended with cured tobacco and roasted tea leaves, layered with a thick raisin note and a few drops of bourbon.

This is an amazing fall-to-winter scent. It's got the cozy smokiness of tobacco and tea, with deliciously sticky raisins soaked in bourbon. I get plenty of booze in this one, which I was hoping for, and no, it doesn't make me smell like I've been drinking all night. The raisin note here is very different from a grape or wine note (both of which often go cloying on me), closer to a dark marmalade or even a fruity molasses. There's just enough sweetness, from the raisin and vanilla notes, and probably the bourbon also, to temper the smoky notes and keep it from being too masculine for me. Now I want nothing more than to curl up on the sofa with a cup of tea--spiked with bourbon, of course.

• 4 weeks later...

I just wore this last weekend. We had dinner with the kids, and I caught a whiff as Lauren walked by me. Harrison was also wearing the scent. I asked if I could try a swipe. Such a educational experience, having three people wearing the same bottle in the same room. On Lauren, the scent really pulls the raisin forward. On Harrison, the blend is absolutely raisin tobacco. On me, total warmth, like a fine bourbon in front of the fire on a chilly night. The great thing is, this scent, now that it has,settled a bit, is more refined, comes off beautifully blended,lux. Although different on each of the three of us, this bottle retained the truth of what Harrison requested. This gets better and better with age. Thanks again, Mara.

I tried this on Quince - just a wee bit - and he sort of cringed at the beginning and said, "What is that?!" and I replied that it was probably the raisin accord. He made a face and I said, "Just let it dry down, stop pouting." :lol: After drydown the bourbon and the tobacco were the most pronounced - I really liked it on him, it retains the same well-groomed quality of my first impressions. He was less convinced but agreed it was not as sweet once it had dried down.

• 1 month later...

I was lucky enough to have been gifted a bottle by Harrison. Oh my god, this gets better and better and better! The Tobacco is in full bloom now, and the scent has blended into this unbelievably..I can only describe it as mouth-full/full-body feel (the difference between tea and a fine liqueur). My husband is absolutely salivating over it. He says he loves the weight of it.

• 4 weeks later...

I got a bottle but as it was sold out I did not bother to add a review at the time. I will say it is a wonderful scent.

• 3 years later...

I'm wearing this today for the first time in a long time and I will say that it has aged beautifully.  Now, for me, it's a take on vanilla tobacco that is really sexy.  It still has an intensely sweet quality when first applied but in the long drydown it morphs into that polished aura I was referencing above.