Opal's Joie de Vivre

Black Cat

ADPE-Opal-JDV.jpg

Opal's Joie de Vivre

Blackcat came up with some very clever combos this month. The first, a love letter to her precious little Opal crafted of fleshy black coconut overlaid with green grasses, a touch of linen, and a trio of fuzzy animalic musks. This really has a lovely warm skin and clean fur kind of vibe that surprised me with it's authenticity. Love!

COCONUT ~ Chastity, protection, purification, receptivity.

GRASSES ~ Wishes granted, enhances psychic powers, protection.

LINEN ~ Luck, healing, protection, return of lost love.

MUSK ~ Self confidence and strength, sexual attractant, heightens passions and arousal.

I can't believe I haven't reviewed this yet, since I've been wearing it a lot! I love it, and I also think that if I can let some of the bottles age, they will become even more spectacular.

When this goes on wet, the linen really dominates it, and is a bit raw. What this does, though, is call up an immediate association for me with the town swimming pool from when I was a kid! This stage only lasts a few minutes, and the longer the dry down, the more the linen recedes to the background and coconut comes forward. Suddenly it's summer -- damp towels laid out on the sun-warmed grass, fresh air and clear blue skies. Just magic!

It's so hard to describe this without sounding quite weird, but the whole thing settles into the loveliest milky clean scent you can imagine. It's in the family of Invi's October Laundry, which I loved, but a summer rather than a fall scent. I will totally be able to wear this to work, and it really just carries the best snuggly clean little dog vibe with it. Thank you so much, Mara!

• 3 weeks later...

This is quite interesting - it's a clean fresh airy kind of scent with a coconut undertone, which is a really unique take on that kind of scent. I don't normally wear those kinds of blends but this one is very compelling.

I was testing some new scents and reading the forum last night and saw Luna's review of this. It made me curious so I thought I'd give it a whirl. I really didn't know what to expect because when I initially read about this one, I thought 'I don't know if I want to smell like clean fur, do I?' Of course I should always test things and never ever assume.

At first I thought this was interesting but not a me scent. I was chatting about it with Chelle8422 and said I could see using this as a room spray but I'm not sure I'd wear it. Then something beautiful happened. This turned into this beautiful skin musk with hints of soft coconut and linen and grass. I kept huffing my wrists. I wanted my linens on my bed to smell like this. It's so light and airy. I'm wearing it again today!

• 1 month later...

Mmmmm, I love this! It's kind of like Steamy Bikini, but CLEAN! Definitely like just-showered beach skin. Like BC says, when it's wet, it's a little eye-sting-y. I think that's the linen? But I'm at about the 1.5 hour point, and all I get is a light, fresh coconut musk. I don't really get any green from the grasses, maybe they are just contributing to the freshness of it.

• 1 year later...

I put this on last night before bed, and at first I thought it smelled okay, but kind of like a dryer sheet. My great-aunt's house used to have a dryer in the kitchen (no washer, just a dryer...that house was weird; no bathroom either), and it reminded me of when she had the dryer running. I didn't mind the scent, but I wasn't crazy about it. I was a bit disappointed because I really liked it in the sample vial.

And then I woke up in the morning and I caught this amazing scent and realized it was me. So I had to buy a full bottle. I love it. Nom. It's like everyone else says--the linen basically goes away and it just smells cozy and happy and summery.

Edited by Lainey