Black Star Lavender

Beccah

AD-BlackStarLavender_1.jpg

An appropriately weird and wonderful tribute to musical genius, crafted of...

BLACK Licorice Root ~ Love, lust, fidelity, sexual potency.
STAR Anise ~ Sexual potency, cleansing, wards away nightmares, purification, happiness, calming, meditation.
PURPLE Lavender Attar ~ Soothes/ restores body and mind. Arouses sexual desire in men, purification, healing.
RAIN Water Accord ~ Cleansing, purifying. Fertility, Goddess energy, fluid of life. Renewal.
as well as
Amber ~ Fertility, creativity, love, luck, riches.
and
Black Tea ~ Invigorating, refreshing, mentally and physically uplifting, lust. Riches, courage, strength.

Note: This perfume is a tribute to two of the world's most wonderful musical talents. Black Star was one of David Bowie's last songs, thus the black licorice and star anise. The lavender and aquatic notes represent, of course, Prince's Purple Rain.

Hmm let's see, don't really like anise or licorice, don't like water notes ever, and usually don't care for black tea, but somehow despite all of that , I think I love this perfume. It's not really all that manly to be but it would be dead sexy on a man. The lavender is just gorgeous. Not a hint of camphor. It's definitely more herbaceous than the last several lavender LPs but since it wears pretty light after dry down it still manages to be soft and cozy. Just more clear than the other more recent cozy powdery lavenders. It's more that it's sheer, than that it's cuddly. I honestly don't pick out any of the other notes clearly. The tea and the anise and licorice give it a little edge and depth and a smidge of darkness. I suspect the rain accord is what's sheering this all out for me. Now the amber I can smell. Lavender and Amber is one of my most adored note combos. They meld into something greater than the parts. The Amber is warm and deepens the whole blend, grounds it. Simply put this is delightful and warm and sexy and most definitely full bottle worthy.

I've just had a super fun hour going through the LPMP archive - if you haven't been there yet, I highly recommend it !

I've made associations with several of these ingredients in LPMP's offerings. It reminds me of the gamut from Sogni Incantati to Naughty Nurse to Night at the Round Table, several of the lavender offerings, and several of the Bag Balm-type scents. I slathered this onto my right wrist last night and just drifted off to sleep. I didn't get any invigorating or arousing selfies. It's a VERY interesting combination and kept me focused on my sensory input instead of drifting off to worrisome thoughts. I may end up combining with Bag Balm and adding this to my stash of Relax/Sleep potions. I love the more unusual combinations Mara comes up with, and this is lovely and unique !!

I may end up combining with Bag Balm and adding this to my stash of Relax/Sleep potions. I love the more unusual combinations Mara comes up with, and this is lovely and unique !!

I am so sorry, you're review is very good, but I'm cracking up at Bag Balm :lol: I know what you meant, though. Balm Bomb http://www.lovepotionperfume.com/perfumerie/potion/BalmBomb/

I wasn't sure what to expect from this - couldn't get my mind around this combo of notes. But tried it first from the sampler due to these intriguing reviews. It morphs a bit. Wet i thought it was too herbaceous for me (I prefer my lavender to be bakery), and it was bright and seemed almost fizzy - I thought of 7up! - but quickly it morphed and reminded me powerfully of my Flora Royale, though a little more powdery. The only note they have in common is amber, so I wonder if it's the same or a similar kind. It got sweeter and sweeter with wear, and I couldn't keep my nose out of the application spot. In this phase it felt dark-green and lavendery and powdery. I thought sadly how I could picture Prince absolutely loving this. It also seemed to have an almost phero-ish effect of making people friendly and "we're all in this together."

I bought a FB of this without hesitatation. I had no idea what it would be like, but I'm a huge music fan, so this truly spoke straight to my heart.

I don't even know what to say about this. I don't know what to compare it to yet it's so distinctly LPMP. It's so unique much like both Bowie and Prince. This is my best way to describe it. It's unique, beautiful, androgynous, alien, familiar, comforting like a hug from a greater spirit, confident, sexy M.F. It somehow gives me this very strong feeling of being loved and to love myself for exactly who I am, in all my weirdness, because I have a voice and story to tell. Maybe it's because this is giving me a moment of reflection of Bowie and Prince and what they've given to the world.

When my budget allows, and if by some lucky miracle there are any left, I will have to get another FB.

And, I've said this before but I'm saying it again. THANK YOU for this! ❤

I realized I didn't really mention anything about the actual scent. At first I could detect the lavender but it wasn't the only note. It was just the strongest note at first. It isn't a pillowy lavender but it isn't medicinal either. The amber and tea seem to play the bass in this scent. The licorice, anise, and rain are pulling the scent upward and keep it lighter. It's dried way down now and it's simply gorgeous and mellow. It's close to the skin now. I wish this is what I naturally smelled like ALL THE TIME. I wish I could describe it better. I cannot stop huffing my wrists.

Edited by tink333

This is so amazing. First off the Lavender. Yes it's a bit herb'ish. Nowhere near as herbal as "The Big Easy" that's the herb bar I use.

I love almost all lavenders, but not the camphorous type. Not a wiff of camphor here, yay!

So the review. I went full bottle right off with this. At least if it wasn't love at first whiff, I'd have Mara's wonderful ode to two great artists who's loss I feel greatly & who left us far too early.

Both made a huge impact on my generation. For those of us who's lives feature their music in our personal soundtracks, even without trying, their absence in this world gives us long pause.

Mara has crafted a beautiful ode in a bottle to them both.

The beautiful "Purple Rain" effect was the first thing I noticed. On my skin it's a beautiful splash of purple tears. A cool, evocative purple rain. Androgynous lavender that allows you to make of it what you will. Sensual & beckoning. The star anise makes an entrance, moving forward adding a dramatic turn, a spike of spice that burns brightly in the background against the velvet backdrop of licorice root.

The fragrance is distinctly unique. Quite honestly I could imagine both Prince & Bowie digging this and wearing it.

It simultaneously elevates and relaxes. It's both glam rock and the sensuality of purple silk. :heart:

:purr:

Edited by StacyK

Oh this is an addictive creation!!!

I never think of lavender as sexy but THIS is sexy as hell. It's that amber I think, I don't know. I can't really pick out any of the other notes but it all works together to create one of those "texured" scents. Like I can feel it through the smell. ...and i feel fine was like that for me as well as Velvet Kisses and Tyveys Chewey Spice.

I have liked all the recents lavender offerings but for some reason haven't been going FB on them. I think I was waiting for THE ONE lavender that would blow me away and THIS is it.

This is iconoclastic, just like the ones it was created in tribute to. And definitely one that the guys should not be afraid to try.

The lavender does has a herbaceous character as Heather pointed out, but in combination with the amber it's very smooth and definitely unisex. I find that licorice/anise works well with notes which have a tangy character to them, so that's one of the reasons this pairing is so interesting to my nose. There's an almost spicy kind of vibe to it, a tang and an uplifting quality, yet soothing and meditative at the same time. There's a clean sheer kind of gauzy layer between the two heart notes, so I assume that's the tea and the rain accords creating space between them. It's one which brings you back again and again to contemplate its' fascination - again, much like those bright spirits who may be finding new adventures even now.

Oh this is an addictive creation!!!

I never think of lavender as sexy but THIS is sexy as hell. It's that amber I think, I don't know. I can't really pick out any of the other notes but it all works together to create one of those "texured" scents. Like I can feel it through the smell. ...and i feel fine was like that for me as well as Velvet Kisses and Tyveys Chewey Spice.

I have liked all the recents lavender offerings but for some reason haven't been going FB on them. I think I was waiting for THE ONE lavender that would blow me away and THIS is it.

That's exactly how I feel! I loved both Balm Bomb and Aurora but haven't gotten a bottle of either one of them yet. I want two bottles of this one! I'll probably just settle for one because I'm not wearing as much perfume as many times a day as I used to. And I'm thinking about getting a bottle for my sister for her birthday later this summer.

Halo, I'm in the same place. I have not bought Balm Bomb or Auora. Truthfully I was on the fence. Balm Bomb burns my nose a bit. I like Auora but I have a lot of lavender so I've been restraining myself.

This one is so amazing and distinctive.

Yes, MDC, it's sexy. Another sexy lavender scent is Beautiful Dreamer. :)

Yes, guys!!! ahoy there. This scent would be dead sexy on a man. If you want to be ravished wear this. At least around me ;)

I'm definitely going to get a back up. So much goodness here.

Luna, yes. Iconoclastic.

LV I imagine it intimidating the work twats. Twat Away! lol

Edited by StacyK

A beautiful herbal lavender without a hint of camphor. It's very huggable and pillow-like. This is the type of lavender that is like a balm to me when I don't feel well or when I'm stressed. I'm mostly getting the lav and tea- its very strong so a small swipe was plenty.

You sold me. I got a FB

Yay!! It's really special.

A beautiful herbal lavender without a hint of camphor. It's very huggable and pillow-like. This is the type of lavender that is like a balm to me when I don't feel well or when I'm stressed. I'm mostly getting the lav and tea- its very strong so a small swipe was plenty.

I know. I love this type of Lavender it's so comforting. Yes, all you need is a bit in strategic zones ;)

It's also lasts a long, long time on my skin. :)

I don't know how to begin to explain or describe this scent. I guess I will just give you the bottom line up front and say it is my favorite so far for this month. Even more so than the two ocean aquatics which kinda surprises me. I understand the women liking it but it seems so "deep" or "darker" that it really comes across as a more masculine scent to me so women wanting to wear it is almost a surprise. I say almost because I am not surprised at anything anymore given the appeal of Mara's scents.

Wet, I get more of the licorice and anise. They fade once it all dries down but they are still there, but not overpowering as you might expect. The lavender is there but it is more of a deeper more masculine lavender. It certainly does not come across as feminine to me, and I tend to prefer the deeper, spicier male scents or the masculine aquatics here. After that the water accord is there and I certainly pick up on the black tea. The amber blends in there somewhere I just cannot single the note out. But combined all together - certainly an attention-getter.

You cannot go wrong no matter what size bottle you get. In fact you will probably wish you just went ahead and got the full bottle and not just the sample.

ETA: I like this even more as I wear it more.

Edited by quietguy

• 4 weeks later...

Even with these reviews , I'm having a hard time wrapping my head around this. Is it, I dunno, like Black Candy but sub lavender for Violet? I want it because of WHAT it is, but I'm not sure I'd wear it once I got it, you know?

I do! Thanks Halo. Might need to use your randomizer machine again in a couple days though. :)

I'm seeing too much I want (of course)!

ETA: Halo, I thought you weren't big on herbal lavender. Thought you liked the fluffy, softer kind. I'm guessing it's not too sharp here.

Edited by cheeseburger79

Thanks MDC! I don't think I can say no to this any more!

I put a little on this morning so I could try to explain it a little better but it's pretty hard to put into words. I just don't want you to miss out on it thinking it's sharp at all...it's almost caramel-y to me in the dry down but that may be how my nose translates licorice or anise. I think that's what makes it chewey somehow? This one is going to get hoarded!

Even with these reviews , I'm having a hard time wrapping my head around this. Is it, I dunno, like Black Candy but sub lavender for Violet? I want it because of WHAT it is, but I'm not sure I'd wear it once I got it, you know?

It's not the same vibe as Black Candy, IMO. The way the licorice/anise works in it is different than the way those notes are in scents like Black Candy and Naughty Minx.

I do! Thanks Halo. Might need to use your randomizer machine again in a couple days though. :)

I'm seeing too much I want (of course)!

ETA: Halo, I thought you weren't big on herbal lavender. Thought you liked the fluffy, softer kind. I'm guessing it's not too sharp here.

Omg me? Lol. Herbal Lavender might be my number 1 favorite fragrance note. Even my very favorite commercial perfume ever is lavender based. I'll settle for softer lavender if there is nothing else available but I'll take herbal over soft any day.

• 2 weeks later...

Oh! Whoops! :)

Still going to sample this before going FB because though I like lavender, I feel like I have enough of it I guess. It's not a note I've ever been obsessed with like Violet for example. I still really want to try this though, I'm sure it's great. I'll order a sample when I place my order on Sunday.

• 1 month later...

On me, Black Star Lavender is mostly herbal lavender and chewy anise. The notes are loud, but not too loud on the skin. I find this fragrance contains a quality of warmth. Although a comforting fragrance, it's not pillowy soft, but rather this one is like wrapping yourself in your favourite mink blanket. Still comforting, yet thicker and richer in nature.

I have to jump in here and say- both my son & daughter like tbis scent. My daughter sniffed these NR's with me. She asked about this one. I gave her the back story which she loved. She asked for a bottle (ordered in sale). I asked my son to try this yesterday and he liked it. Smells a little different on him. Now it looks like I'll need one more. Hope it holds out.

• 1 year later...

Damn. Reading all these reviews, I wish I at least sampled this one! I love lavender, and black licorice, and Prince and Bowie, of course. In 4th grade, I had some kind of friend fall out with a girl, and didn't talk to her for two years. But in 6th grade, we were seated next to each other in a class, and noticed we both had Ziggy Stardust cassettes in our Walkman's', so we started talking again. That would've been 1982, and we are still real good friends to this day. To say either performer had a strong impact on me would be an understatement, as could any number of millions of humans. I just played Pop Life in my class last night, and the only single performer I ever played an entire class of their work was Prince. And the only time I've ever been completely star struck in my entire life was at a Tin Machine (Bowie side project) show at the Warfield in SF. For whatever reason, the show was way undersold. There was no safety of hiding in the crowd, and my then boyfriend was all jumping around with his skinny bangled arms and legs and hair flying everywhere, and I saw Mr. Bowie glance at his T. Rex t-shirt. And I thought, "Oh my god. David Bowie can see us." I became acutely aware that I was 6 feet from David Bowie and suddenly became completely immobile. Like literally unable to move, to the point where the son of a super famous and irreplaceably important music producer came over and asked me if I was okay. Pretty much every other time he had been around me was also around rock star types, and I certainly had never gone catatonic before!

I gave this sample to a good friend whom I have no idea if he wears any scents, but I adore him and his girlfriend and he and I geek out on music all the time. If I see him today I'll ask him if he's worn it, if he likes it, maybe I'll snag him a bottle. And maybe one for me.... :Emoticons04231:

• 2 years later...

If you managed to snag a bottle....this has aged so well !

The rain pushes it into a more minty/ spa-like  version of White Licorice for me.  I am easily able to wear this without it going plastic-y on me, whereas I had to give the "White Licorice" to my son. I am still working off my sample bottle, haven't touched the Full Bottle. I admit to a fair amount of reverence related to this, as I was very fond of Prince and just can't get myself to slather.

It's a sacred scent.