Distant Calliope

Beccah

AD-DistantCalliope-SM.jpg

Distant Calliope

A fragrance like a haunting melody, far-off music carried by the wind, imbuing your mood with mystery and hazy memories…foggy rain accord blended with resinous aspects of sandalwood and myrrh, silky-smooth dry vanilla, cocoa powder and powdered sugar, and just a wisp of sweet orange blossom honey.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Magickal Meanings of Ingredients:

SANDALWOOD ~ Love, exotic, sensual atmospheric; aphrodisiac. Healing, spirituality, exorcism.
MYRRH ~ Stimulating, soothing. Powerful guard against evil.
HONEY ~ Enticing, seductive; use to bewitch a straying or hesitant lover. Happiness, fulfillment.
POWDERED SUGAR ~ Attracts love, luck,
sweetness
and riches. Lust inducing, wishes granted.
COCOA POWDER ~ Lightens emotions, evokes feelings of love.

• 2 weeks later...

The name for this one was me channeling my inner Ray Bradbury. :D

I really like this one, it's so powdery-smooth and soothing - myrrh has that effect on me. I would liken it to a darker version of Coco Honey, I suppose, or even Aphrodisia Erotica. It has a similar quality to Sensual Harmony to me, like lingerie in perfume form.

This is similar to Aphrodisia Erotica? My bride is going to be very surprised when I beg her to wear this one for me.

I LOVE this.

I love the name. My gut said go FB. But, I held off. I have Cocoa Snuggle, Cocoa Honey, Treat. Sort of variations on a theme :) I love them all!

But, Calliope is like the bad ass, not afraid to be dark, sister of slinky, Cocoa Honey. Umm. Definitely a FB. The honey is not dominant. But, it adds a dash of sexy. I'm definitely going to try it with a drop or 2 of cops.

The cool earthy Myrrh grounds the whole scent and really gives it a powerhouse vibe. The myrrh and honey contrast and balance each other out very well. I think it'll be the perfect partner for Leather :purr:

It's yummy, sexy & a little badass.

Myrrh invokes a mystical ambiance in me. I love myrrh. I can pick out the orange blossom honey, too. I would wear this when I want some quiet time, agreeing that Distant Calliope has the same comforting 'lush sofa' feeling I get from Sensual Harmony. Maybe it's the cocoa powder giving me the message to relax and be cozy.

I hadn't thought to try a little cops with this, but that's a fine idea! It will definitely be an interesting experience :001_302:

Edited by Ivysaur

Love this! I bought it because it had many of the same notes as Hauntings--sandalwood myrrh and powdered sugar. After dry down, they are very very close. But wet, Distant Calliope has a powerful cocoa powder note. It is much heavier and denser than Hauntings. Hauntings is more atmospheric and sheer so it wore very light on me with smoke and spice. This seems like it will have a good throw and weight. I don't see the rain accord here although it was mentioned. However I do smell an almost clean water note which might be the honey. I am going to need another bottle of this! Save me one!

Cocoa Honey was a surprise swoon for me, so I went ahead and ordered 2 bottles of Distant Calliope unsniffed at the very idea of a darker, delicious sister scent :heart:

The notes are all winners, I didn't think I'd be such a fan of a wood note, but sandalwood - and many other wood notes - have been some real favorites in several other LP delectables.

Luna ~ what is giving it the powdery feel for you? Is it the Myrrh or the sugar/cocoa? (if either, lol)

Thank you Luna ^_^

Oh My! First on this is all cocoa powdery goodness. My nose was toying with me, as I thought I was getting a hint of cinnamon, but that isn't even a note :huh:
The next notes to come forward to my nose were the earthy sandalwood and myrrh. I was going to say that I didn't pick out the honey - but sometimes honey reads powdery to my nose, and there is definitely a powder feel that I was going to leave at the powdered sugar and cocoa powder, but maybe I should include a sweet powdery honey too? Kind of the way the honey in LAM!/BAM! original reads powdery to me?

The feel of the fragrance is "mellow" to me. Soft, close to the skin (for me at least) and calm. Actually it WOULD be great for an overcast day. There's something warming about it that fits the falling leaves and evening chill...

• 5 weeks later...

This is lovely. It has the powdery/dusty/wood-y feel of my beloved Velvet Kisses, but instead of VK's overt chocolate-ness this one showcases a gorgeous soft creaminess, with a subtle drop of brightness from the orange blossom honey. Wonderful.

And what is this Cocoa Honey of which you speak? I missed that one, and can't find it in the Perfumerie or in the sold-out archive. Could someone direct me to its page?

x

• 2 weeks later...

Distant Calliope is very cocoa forward on application. During drydown it takes on a more incensy vibe thanks to the sandalwood and myrrh. I also get a slight powder from the honey, which makes the fragrance velvety smooth. This perfume is intoxicating without being too heavy. A lovely rich scent that I think would be amazing in the cooler months. Not stopping me from enjoying it now, though :)

• 2 months later...

If I could put a smell to the distant shadows of the Night Circus (there are actually a lot of smells evoked in that book), it would be this. It's sheer and dark at the same time, swirled with both incensey and gourmand elements that suggest magic, mysticism, and of course a hint of the delectable sweets in those black-and-white striped tents. This is what you want to wear for when you feel like enigmatic, behind a dusky veil. As I'm a creepy vampire bat, it goes without saying this is my type of scent.