Bug Bee Gone: Skeeter Beater

Beccah

AD-PE-BugBGone.jpg

And I also made a "functional" blend for some customers at the store which worked out quite well. I have none left of the original brew but can make more if anyone wants some. I was asked for a blend of essential oils to keep mosquitoes away from a party of campers. I used Lavender, Tea Tree and Citronella, and after the camping trip they called me to report back...the lady who commissioned the bottles said it worked amazingly well. I asked her how she knew that there just weren't any mosquitoes, and she said because the one person who refused it got bitten all over, and that she had gotten one bite on the small of her back where none had been applied, and no one else got bitten. Pretty good!

I made more yesterday, and put some on. I think it must be the best smelling bug repellent in history. Very pleasant and fresh, and by the end of the wear you are left with a beautiful lavender on the skin.

I should note that you should be careful about applying this on bare skin in bright sunlight as Citronella and tea tree will both amplify the effects of the sun. Save the direct skin app for dusk - when the skeeters are at their worst - and try applying to your clothes when the sun is bright.

Hey, I've got a question. Have you thought about adding catnip oil to make it effective against ticks too? Catnip oil is the only thing I trust against the ticks in my area. Ran out of my go-to, & haven't been able to find any herbal repellents containing it since. I have not been hiking during tick season since :(

Hey, I've got a question. Have you thought about adding catnip oil to make it effective against ticks too? Catnip oil is the only thing I trust against the ticks in my area. Ran out of my go-to, & haven't been able to find any herbal repellents containing it since. I have not been hiking during tick season since :(

Huh, no I did not think of that, thank you!

What kind of catnip oil do you use? I have two different ones and neither is really right for this kind of purpose. One is in a heavy vegetal oil and the other is a botanical extract and neither blends properly, so I use them for spell potions but not perfumes, usually. I haven't had much luck finding the right kind.

I think the brand of bug repellant I've been using uses catnip EO. I'm not sure if that's the same thing as the catnip notes used for perfume or not. Either way I have to order & if you're making this, I'd rather order from you. Idk, here's their link: http://www.herbariasoap.com/citronella-mist.html

(There blend also stinks to high heaven, so another reason I would prefer to order from LP.)

The skeeters up here are fierce. This never happened to me before, but when I get bit up here I get a reaction the size of a golf ball, it's awful. They sometimes sneak in through the cat door and the other night as I sat at my computer one landed on my arm. I tried to kill it and missed three times. He was seriously after me and wouldn't quit. So I remembered this potion and applied some to my arms, chest and even on my back because of what that lady said. And guess what? The little bastard got me anyway, on my pinky toe!!!! I forgot to put any that low on my legs. One bite on the toe. It definitely could have been worse. :lol:

• 4 years later...

Wearing this now, have to say I love it and it smells waaaay better than the spray everyone else is using!