Bloodroot

Beccah

AD-Bloodroot-SM.jpg

MAHOGANY ~ Fertility, growth, grounding, clarifying, bonds of love.
BLACK CURRANT ~ Aids success in love affairs, and a magical representation of blood.
DRAGON'S BLOOD ~ Entices errant lovers to return, increases power of other ingredients. Love, protection, exorcism, potency.
MUSK ~ Self confidence and strength, sexual attractant, heightens passions and arousal.
SMOKE ~ In addition to the attributes of whatever is being burned (resins, woods, etc), smoke is for cleansing, purification, renewal, consecration, concealment and celebration. It is also the foremost mode of communication from this world to the realm of spirits and the gods.

• 2 weeks later...

Argh, just wrote out a review and computer jumped me back a screen before I could post! Let me try again -- this is the one I was most interested to try based on descriptions because it was compared to Blue Smoke. I find that the LP it most puts me in mind of is Hauntings -- maybe because I experienced Blue Smoke as a warm and definitive scent, while this one like Hauntings is much more sheer and cool. I really like this -- the dragon's blood is not overpowering, and the black current is transformed by the smoke and musk from fruity/foody to something much more delicate and almost disembodied. This is mysterious and intriguing. Love it!

If a man smelled like Bloodroot, I would probably just spend a majority of my time w/ face buried in his neck. Luckily for that sake of my virtue, there are no men that smell this in my area. I keep huffing my wrist. There's I can smell the currant, playing off of the dragon's blood, & the mahogony grounds everything nicely. Everything combined almost gives me a mineral rich earth impression, not like patchouli. It's more like I can actually smell the scent the rocks give off when it's a little cooler & you're hiking.

I get how this is a version of Blue Smoke because it's that zing! on top of a deep resinous base. The berries are incorporated fairly quickly, though, and it's an interesting blending of elements. It smells less autumnal than Blue Smoke to me, even as it has that same kind of quality. This one is more like a scent you wear in Fall, rather than a scent which smells like Fall, although that is my purely subjective opinion. This reminds me of Verhext, actually, for those of you who recall that one.

• 4 weeks later...

Bloodroot starts off with a burst of syrupy black currant. Upon drydown I get more of a resinous scent that has a wonderful zesty quality. I find this fragrance quite intoxicating. It is such a smooth, dark blend that I am really loving.

I have worn this several times trying to get my thoughts together about writing a review and I am still at a loss. This is a great scent - I really like it. But It is hard for me to tell you where one note ends and the others pick up.

I think the slight sweetness of the Black Currant is what I get the most of at first when it is wet. it seems to kind of sit on top of the mahogany and musk. But you can get the dragon's blood back in there too. Once it dries down, the sweetness dries down and then the smoke pops up in the background with the mahogany, musk and dragons blood paying more in the foreground. I think what is throwing me off a little is how the dragon's blood seems to move forwards and backwards depending on how long it has been on. And again, that is one of the amazing things about Mara's scents: that they can change a little over the day. This one is almost like true sorcery on me as it seems to shift so much over the day but always smells great.

Get it while it lasts!

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

This is the second scent with dragon's blood that I've tried. Still sorting out my feelings about that note; it's strange to me yet also kind of addictive. Re: this particular scent, I'd like to smell this on a man, but applied with a light hand.

Edited by Witty Kitty

• 1 year later...

I don't really think I've mentioned previously how much I like the dragon's blood that Mara uses but I've smelled it previously in Wicked (which is amazing on my bride) and I also smell it here (albeit in a small amount) and it truly compliments the black currant and the mahogany with the smoke and the musk just playing a supporting role in the background on my skin.  For about the first 20 or so minutes this is all sweet, syrupy black current with a hint of the other ingredients but as it dries down everything sort of mellows out and is a wonderfully smooth, slightly smoky (but not like wood smoke), slightly sweet scent with the dragons blood continuing to just peek to the surface occasionally.  I don't know how they keep coming up with these amazing and unique scents!