Winter in the Tropics w/ La Femme Mystere

AD-WinterintheTropics-SM.jpg

GARDENIA ~ Mood elevator; powerfully 'magnetic' for women, enhances visage, love, passion, peace, healing, spirituality.
PIKAKE ~ Self confidence, anxiety reduction, prosperity; powerful love attractant, spiritual love.
PLUMERIA ~ Love, strong ingredient for love spells.
GINGER ~ Fiery and fortifying, induces passion. Intensifies love spells and success spells. Love, money, success, power. Ginger increases sensitivity in the erogenous zones.
GRASSES ~ Wishes granted, enhances psychic powers, protection.
THISTLE ~ Wards off thieves, aids recuperation, courage, strength, protection, hex-breaking, healing.

• 2 weeks later...

Mmmm, I wasn't sure what to expect since these are notes I am less familiar with. It's not a Me scent but it's really lovely! It's soft creamy floral, quite elegant, but the grasses and thistle keep it from being too sweet and smooth, and the ginger adds just a little warmth. Interestingly I get a non-tropical beachy vibe from it -- it makes me think of Nantucket, and I can almost hear the rustling of beach grass. Very congruent with LFM -- it's not formal, but it's casual in the way that a 1.5 million dollar beach house is casual, lol.

:lol:

Like diamonds and denim?

Yeah, I was going for cold air tropical...like a cool night or winter in the tropics, in my mind anyway.

YES EXACTLY!

Cool night in the tropics is not something I ever envisioned and it's brilliant!

I love the long drydown of this... the floral recedes further and further into the background and the other notes lend it a very noir-ish quality. This is powerful stuff and works so well with the LFM Queenly vibe!

...it's casual in the way that a 1.5 million dollar beach house is casual, lol.

Yep. That's how LFM always feels to me.

It that "WOW" boost. The feeling you have after being discovered at a soda fountain, whilst ditching high school.

Gardenia always smells a little odd on me. It smells like something that shouldn't happen. To me, this was cold, like hospital or morgue cold. I don't know how cold a morgue is, but I imagine it to be cold like at my place of employment, since we are all just really dead men walking there. Anyhow initially it was cold and a bit chemical smelling to me, but as it dried down, it turned creamy, and elegant.

It was a complete transformation. The gardenia became softer, stayed in the background while the plumeria and ginger blended together to create this creamy lush effect. Very pretty. It reminded me of Duke's in Malibu. Expensive and fancy for Sunday brunch, but if you got directly to the bar, its affordable and the food is so much better. Plus you can be drunk and dirty- and at the beach! Overall perfect for Spring/Summer.

I can see why Mara wanted to pair this one with LFM, it's so lovely and romantic. I really love the blending of the floral elements, with the gardenia as the heart note. In the long drydown I get a bit of the ginger but this is mostly lush voluptuous full-bloom gardenia on me with just a bit of the sweetness of the pikaki and plumeria. Tropical florals usually end up going KAPOW! on me anyway. But I don't get a cool/cold feeling from it, I was really interested in what that might be.

• 3 weeks later...

This one reminded me of leilani! Which is one of my absolute favorites. This one is just a little more lush! I see that there is no coconut in this, which is crazy! My mind must just associate coconut so strongly with the tropical vibe that it is filling that scent in! I also didn't get the cool feeling... but I didn't take it on a full ride yet either. I think I will get a second trial vial of this one just in case it sells out and I fall utterly in love.

• 3 weeks later...

I put this on & I could've sworn this was a fruit scent, but then I was like "this is a really perfume-y fruit." Very lovely & classy.

What could I be amping in this that is giving me a "bug spray" type scent? I want to love this. Possibly will try it at a different TOM, think I'm a bit PMS-y and maybe that is causing it? I can't see anything in it that would cause me to perceive it like that...

• 2 weeks later...

Winter in the Tropics on me is like a cool breeze filling the air with tropical floral notes. It's cool and has an almost ozonic feel, yet has great longevity and throw. For me it is very perfume-y and romantic. I love this fragrance!

I'm not the biggest gardenia fan... and the gardenia is very prominent in the beginning. But after it dries down a bit, the other notes come forward and it has a very cool feel to it, and is much softer.

• 2 months later...

This starts as a delicate, grassy coconut with a not very strong magnolia note. This is very feminine which is usually not me. It reminded me of Mr. Bubble, the bubble bath from my childhood due to the gardenia note. It is not your typical tropical scent, but yet it smells beachy. It brings to mind a night-time setting with cool beachy air and I am thinking Cape Cod beach with the fence and beachgrass setting, not a California beach. I really like the dried grasses aspect to it and pikake due to representing self-confidence and anxiety reduction. I smell a sweet amber poking through.

Then the gardenia and plumeria take over. I do enjoy the ginger and grasses. But the plumeria/floral really amps and starts bothering me. I feel it has a lot of throw. It does sweeten up longer in the drydown, but it just isn’t a “me” scent. I do like the fact that it is extremely unique and totally conveys its title better than any other scent I’ve been scented with!

• 4 months later...

Love it.

Gardenia has an intense feminity that I don't necessarily share, but I think it's a great clean and approachable social scent. It's a good scent for my current evening plans, sitting next to my man at the stage sound desk for a sit down show in a fancy night club in a wealthy town. (I sent him to work in Kingmaker, also setting appropriate.)

If I knew a very sophisticated young lady, maybe 18-24 years old, I would give it to her as a present. I'd like to think my daughter will smell like this when she starts dating someday, but I imagine she'll smell like Sour Skittles, Leather, metal shavings and motor oil.

Next time I make it to Maui, I'll drench myself in this gardenia and plumeria concoction after showering, put on a gorgeous dress and take my sunburned ass to a very expensive restaurant and eat macadamia encrusted mahi-mahi. Other couples in the restaurant will envy us because we clearly enjoy each others company more than they do. And later that night, we'll eat candied coconut that we bought on road to Hana naked in bed, and the gardenia and plumeria will have faded but there will still be ginger.

Edited by Eastwood22

Love it.

Gardenia has an intense feminity that I don't necessarily share, but I think it's a great clean and approachable social scent. It's a good scent for my current evening plans, sitting next to my man at the stage sound desk for a sit down show in a fancy night club in a wealthy town. (I sent him to work in Kingmaker, also setting appropriate.)

If I knew a very sophisticated young lady, maybe 18-24 years old, I would give it to her as a present. I'd like to think my daughter will smell like this when she starts dating someday, but I imagine she'll smell like Sour Skittles, Leather, metal shavings and motor oil.

Next time I make it to Maui, I'll drench myself in this gardenia and plumeria concoction after showering, put on a gorgeous dress and take my sunburned ass to a very expensive restaurant and eat macadamia encrusted mahi-mahi. Other couples in the restaurant will envy is because we clearly enjoy each others company more than they do. And later that night, we'll eat candied coconut that we bought on road to Hana naked in bed, and the gardenia and plumeria will have faded but there will still be ginger.

Love this review! :D

Thanks Halo. You are very kind. I'm not able to pick out individual notes very often, mostly just a few categories and degrees of like and dislike. But gardenia and plumeria are distinctive and easy. I am thinking more about identifying scents, but more so just noticing odors in general. This morning I kept getting an unpleasant whiff on something and realized it was my face cream! It does have a bad smell when it first goes on, but I've never noticed I later in the day. I think maybe I need to keep some Odalisque in between my boobs in case I never need to have a yummy chaser to a bad smell in my environment. Or on my face.

Edited by Eastwood22

• 2 months later...

I smelled this from the vial without looking at the ingredients.

I got a fruit scent like Beccah did. Then I stroked it on with my finger and still fruity. Then I looked at the ingredients. No fruit...Really?

Then-the dry down. Ahh...all my favorite flowers in one scent! Gorgeous. So much that I want to wear this for my wedding in a few days!

I need mucho bottles of this one! Making my order soon.

The reactions:

Selfies-I feel like a goddess that can do no wrong. It gives me ultimate confidence. This is MY popularity potion. It soothes my anxiety too. I really needed this.

Others-People treated me different. I mean they treat me like I'm important and want to be around me.People are falling all over wanted to do stuff for me. I admired a woman's bracelet and she gave it to me. Wouldn't take no for an answer!

Wow this stuff is ALL THAT. LFM is going to always be in my scent closet in any way shape or form.

Yesssss! LFM is my Popularity Potion as well. Its great for getting good deals and stellar service while shopping. Im not surprised someone gave you their bracelet, thats a perfect example of a LFM hit. People treat you like you are royalty.

Yesssss! LFM is my Popularity Potion as well. Its great for getting good deals and stellar service while shopping. Im not surprised someone gave you their bracelet, thats a perfect example of a LFM hit. People treat you like you are royalty.

LOL! Got to have more more more!

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I was so excited to read the reviews on this one as I'm looking for a scent that will get me thru the cold midwest winters with a bit of the tropics vibe.  I love the notes in this except the grasses and I'm hoping that this works for me as I went full bottle sight un seen...

@dolphindolls2 it's really nice. I decided that it was too high class for me, but it never escaped my mind and I'm also very happy to have a FB coming. I love the idea of it being your cold winter tropical refuge, that's a great idea. And you can't go wrong with LFM!

4 hours ago, Eastwood22 said:

@dolphindolls2 it's really nice. I decided that it was too high class for me, but it never escaped my mind and I'm also very happy to have a FB coming. I love the idea of it being your cold winter tropical refuge, that's a great idea. And you can't go wrong with LFM!

Does the grass note come out strong for you?  That is my only concern...

6 hours ago, dolphindolls2 said:

Does the grass note come out strong for you?  That is my only concern...

I wouldn't say strong, no. It's just enough to keep the florals from acting up. I'm not the best to compare this kind of fragrance to other florals because I just don't wear aggressive florals or anything known for being especially clean or green. (I'm a fruit/foodie/vanilla gal,) It's not tropical like something like Ohana, it's not a creamy coconut vibe, it's more crisp than warm, it's the opposite of being sweaty/sticky. When I look for the grasses, they're there, but I would definitely say they're very mellow because they would bum me out otherwise. 

I wouldn't call Winter in the Tropics sexy though, just sophisticated. To me it puts out an "unattainable" vibe, which is why it's so great with LFM. I think it needs some cops or an OCCO to sex it up a bit, then you're unattainable AND they really wish you weren't. I might try it with a bit of the BAM Orchid Rose when it gets here. 

3 hours ago, Eastwood22 said:

I wouldn't say strong, no. It's just enough to keep the florals from acting up. I'm not the best to compare this kind of fragrance to other florals because I just don't wear aggressive florals or anything known for being especially clean or green. (I'm a fruit/foodie/vanilla gal,) It's not tropical like something like Ohana, it's not a creamy coconut vibe, it's more crisp than warm, it's the opposite of being sweaty/sticky. When I look for the grasses, they're there, but I would definitely say they're very mellow because they would bum me out otherwise. 

I wouldn't call Winter in the Tropics sexy though, just sophisticated. To me it puts out an "unattainable" vibe, which is why it's so great with LFM. I think it needs some cops or an OCCO to sex it up a bit, then you're unattainable AND they really wish you weren't. I might try it with a bit of the BAM Orchid Rose when it gets here. 

I was looking for sophisticated as I'm planning to wear it to work....so I think this will work for me, I really appreciate you giving the detailed info above.

On 7/14/2018 at 4:21 AM, dolphindolls2 said:

I was looking for sophisticated as I'm planning to wear it to work....so I think this will work for me, I really appreciate you giving the detailed info above.

Oh good, I think it's perfect for work. I really did wear it to my man's work when he first starting working at a newer, fancier, place with the intention of making him look better! He wears SWS or Charisma every time he goes there, and he's the best sound engineer in this circle for sure, and I like to be the exclamation point that drives his professionalism home. Last month he was offered the head engineer position and he turned it down because it wasn't enough money, and I know they'll eventually make him a better offer. I don't believe he would've had the confidence to tell them their offer wasn't good enough without the pheros. Of course I can't credit Winter in the Tropics for his effort or skills, but I know the cloud around me has the perfect sophisticated vibe that makes him look better when I'm next to him. LFM is great for me when I'm at work, too. I don't know if this will be a work regular, though, I need to be authentic at work and it does feel like playing dress-up for me.

Sorry for rambling, waiting for coffee to do it's job.

Edited by Eastwood22

• 1 month later...

I love this SO MUCH MORE than I thought I would!  I really only got it for the LFM as a freebie in the sale, but oh my...I may have to purchase another bottle!!  SOOOOO good!  I cannot pick out a single note on its own...it is just a beautifully blended fragrance that makes me happy.  PERFECT for LFM!  

• 2 weeks later...

This was one of the first perfumes I purchased here. I LOVE this scent especially in the summer! I purchased an unscented LFM shortly after. The most hits I've had have been with this and LFM. It seems to amplify my aloof personality into some type of vampy showgirl.

• 11 months later...
On 7/14/2018 at 2:22 AM, Eastwood22 said:

I think I have the same taste as you do  - I also like fruit/foodie/vanilla!  Is this green or sharp at all? I like some white florals (like the ylang in Sensual Harmony and the florals in Gypsum White) but I don't think green scents agree with me.  Maybe I could layer it with one of the Sugareds if it gives me trouble...

4 hours ago, hedgehog said:

Is this green or sharp at all?

Not green or sharp, just classy. I haven't smelled it for about a year, though! So maybe not the best person for getting another opinion. I do believe you cannot go wrong with LFM

• 1 month later...

I’ve been wearing Winter in the Tropics at work recently. @Eastwood22, thank you so much for your review and answering my questions! You sold me on this and I love it! It doesn’t feel too fancy for me at all – a perfect elegant work scent. It  I think I’ll wear this to the symphony too..

This reminds me of Ohana (but less floral/watery and more spicy and sweet), the drydown of Lani's Heavenly Lei (not as floral as the beginning, but a little more sophisticated and more "warm"), and  there's a note in there that makes me think of Themyscira (I'm guessing this is the ginger?)  It's more creamy and sweet than I expected, which I love! That creamy sweet sophistication makes me think of Sensual Harmony, but it's not powdery or vanilla-y. This is very congruent with LFM and I'm so glad I have a bottle of this! 

I was worried that the grass and thistle would make this too green for me, but they're not green or sharp at all. The grass and thistle just add a bit of coolness to me (the Winter part of the name) and I couldn't even pick the notes out.  You know the feel of a breeze through cool dewy grass?  - that's what they feel like to me. This, juxtaposed with the warmth from the ginger gives a really interesting effect of simultaneous coolness and warmth - I can see where the name comes from!  I think this makes it extra congruent with LFM, too, since LFM, to me, gives off both cool and warm vibes ("I'm a classy lady and you can look but not touch" but also sexy and approachable.)

Okay, this review felt kind of like word vomit, but I just had to get my thoughts written down AND I just got home from a long work day plus 5 hours of doing homework.  So my brain is fried!