Time Travel: 1200 BC

Beccah

il_fullxfull.1418044399_79qh.jpg

Time Travel: 1200 BC

A recreation of an ancient perfume...journey to the lush Nile Valley where flowers bloom under the life-giving Eye of Ra...lovely stargazer lily and water lily combined with bright lemongrass and warm cardamom in a classic Egyptian perfumery base of storax, sandalwood and honey.

It is amazing to consider that the art of perfumery has existed for thousands of years. Upon the walls of the Temple of Edfu in Upper Egypt are recipes for perfumes and ointments, thus some of the earliest records of its’ creation and use. Though methods and tastes have changed with the passage of millennia, those cultures developing this artform which has both aesthetic and utilitarian aspects created an enduring foundation in that many fragrances brewed in bygone eras may still be enjoyed in the present day.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

MAGICKAL MEANINGS OF INGREDIENTS:

WATER LILY ~ Purity of heart.
LILY ~ Purity, modesty.
Wards away evil, protects, and breaks enchantments. Prosperity, happiness, wealth, excitement.
LEMON GRASS ~ Lust, increases psychic powers.
LEMON BLOSSOM ~ Energizing, uplifting. Longevity, faithfulness, fidelity, friendship. Used to attract spirits.
CARDAMOM ~ Lust, love.
STORAX ~ Healing, mental acuity, relaxation, sensual, love drawing, deflection of negativity.
SANDALWOOD ~ Love, exotic, sensual atmospheric; aphrodisiac. Healing, spirituality, exorcism.
HONEY ~ Enticing, seductive; use to bewitch a straying or hesitant lover. Happiness, fulfillment.

Interestingly there's something about this which reminds me of Vampire Bait - I think it's the lily accord and the lemony notes. It's very fresh and bright on me, almost that same kind of "sparkly" evocation. I was expecting more of a layering effect between the midnotes and the base, but this is really all top and mids on me, with just the slightest hint of spice way in the back. But it's lovely, very feminine and Spring-like, at least on me.

ETA: in the long drydown I get more of the base, but there's still a sort of airiness to it.

• 1 month later...

Yes, I would agree with Luna that this is super feminine with a hint of spice. This was my first full purchase from LPMP, and I added LFM to it (mostly for the selfies since I have it in oil form). I adore the way it smells, and it was going to be my signature before my mom hijacked my bottle -_- it smells beautiful on her as well, and she says she gets lots of compliments.

• 1 year later...

1220 B.C. is initially very herbal and grassy green with waves of spice underneath. There's also a warm heat bubbling underneath which I think is the sandalwood combining with something else, but I'm not sure what. This is a very intriguing scent and I can't seem to pinpoint the details. Despite the undercurrent of spice, it still smells very fresh. The spice itself isn't a heavy incense or dry spice, it's more of a cooking spice. Honey occasionally pokes through. 

This is one of those that I never reviewed on here, but have my initial notes for, and comparing it then to how it wears now, it has become a lot more feminine, mostly due to the floral notes intensifying. The flower is stronger, but I still wouldn't think of it as heavily floral. It remains light and airy until the base notes kick in, making it more rounded. It's a balanced scent that's, for lack of a better word, "inoffensive." There's no part of this that's going to blast someone away. It's the kind of scent that is appropriate for a lot of occasions. 

• 3 years later...