Love Potion: Black

Teggy

I have several bottles as well.....glad it is part of the permanent line!

• Replies 410
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wore my LP Black/OCCO Black yesterday and first off.... LOVE!!!!! It's such a beautiful dark resiny scent. I'm still so surprised that the first time I tried it, I didn't like it because it's so beautiful.

However, I have to add this to LP Red as scents I can't wear to work. I don't know why and I don't quite know if its a specific note but when I wear those two, something amps big time and the scent explodes on me and fills an entire room. I can dip myself in Cougar - no biggie. Smell like a giant chocolate cocktail ala Velvet Kisses - not a problem. Wear LP Red or Black and it's as if I am a built in air freshener system and everyone wonders who is burning incense. Even MRF is more subtle.

So alas, these will be my weekend scents. :( That's ok. They will last longer that way.

^^It may not be a work scent. but have you tried giving it a dry down before dressing?

With some LP scents I find it best to have a little dry down. Especially, if it has honey and the honey in this is a bit naughty. In a really good way :P

Dolly, you and Molls give me the impression that one boosted Black simply will not be enough. What pheros did you boost with?

Edited by StacyK

I bought some of this a a couple year ago when new to LP. I ended up trading it... I love LP red, OCCO black, and LP passion and desire, so I'm tempted to try this again...I just remember the patch being too strong on me. but maybe if I just let it age for a few months it will mellow out. Also thinking of layering it with OCCO black

Edited by Raq On

I find it very layer-able. I think it was Dolly who mentioned this, but it tried it with a bit of LP Red and it was great. I really found it aged well, I really believe anything with honey suffers travel shock too. I always let those LPs sit about a week.

I'd say give it another try Raq. With the OCCO Black, it's really gorgeous!! I'd almost say I love the OCCO even more. But like you mentioned, I'm thinking it might be the patchouli. That one has been known to do that on me in the past and that may be what sticks out for everyone at work and why it seems a powerful dose. I almost wonder if patch and heavier spices combine and give that effect. The patch in LP Original does the exact opposite - very light.

^^ That's funny even though it's " Black" I find this to be heavy on the vanilla, perhaps more so than the other LPs I've tried. I tend to think Black-vanilla, brown-sugar with some sassy honeycomb. The Patch is sort of cool and soft, it mellows the BS and Honey IMO.

Skin chemistry strikes again!

Edited by StacyK

Stormey, I feel you on it!! I can only use very, very small amounts of Red and Black. In fact, I have yet to buy a bottle of Red because my little vial has lasted for so long. I dab a dot on my wrists and press together then another dot on my torso and that's it. I'm completely scented for the whole day!

Dolly, you and Molls give me the impression that one boosted Black simply will not be enough. What pheros did you boost with?

I have one boosted with cops, one boosted with Leather, one boosted with BI.....not sure exactly if there are any more.

Skin chemistry certainly is the final vote for everyone, huh? Yep, BB, I may not be sure that I'm a phero lightweight but I definitely need to do your dab and smoosh with these two!!

I have one boosted with cops, one boosted with Leather, one boosted with BI.....not sure exactly if there are any more.

I really like the sound of this with Leather.

Dolly, I bet your cops bottle has a nice sweet edge. :)

Yeah I have some scents I cannot wear to work because they're just too strong on me and I sit sandwiched between two sensitive-nosed co-workers. I would say LP Black on its own falls into this category for me but I have been able to get away with wearing a bit of Passion & Desire to work (but not slathered).

It's nice to know that I'm not alone. :( Like you, Luna, the worst part is that I have a seriously sensitive-nosed co-worker and she can spot me coming a mile away when I wear this or Red. Nothing else from here has ever bothered her and I asked her this last time when I wore Black. She said that nothing has ever been a problem except for Red and Black and generally loves the perfumes I wear so it's a small price if there's only two (please only be two!!) that I can't wear to work.

She'd probably hate me right now if she came to our place as I was just trying out Red with a little dab of OCCO Black. That is a very nice combo.

I would not wear Black or Red to work. Not really apropos in the setting. I go for gently clean, happy or sheer fragrances. I'm also careful with the foodies, great luck with Mayberry & Kitten Nip. wholly crap do the older ladies love Kitten Nip!! I'm freaking cat nip to them when I wear it :heart:

I felt bold wearing Black to the school event, one of the reasons I sprayed on the KFM. Thats my protection phero. of course it was at night and adults ect so it ended up being a good balance.

• 1 month later...

OK. Black on it's own was a bit strong - I'm not sure if that's the word I'm looking for - maybe loud? Not unpleasant just maybe after reading I should have worn MUCH MUCH less. I have only worn it a few times...THEN someone suggested Black and Pink together. Sooooo, I took my sample of Black and the same amount of Pink and combined them into a 5ml spray bottle (and dropped in some EoW - because it was there and I am ABSOLUTELY certain this combo will cover!) and topped it off with perfumer's alcohol. It's been "marinating" and I have every intention of taking it for a ride today. I have to say that in the bottle it smells fantastic!

Question, it looks like OCCO Black is quite different from LP Black. Do those of you who have both find that to be true? It looks like OCCO is less resinous and more sweet, but just reading it's hard to be certain.

However if LP Black/Pink rock today I will have to get a FB of Black. Like many of you have said - a little bit goes a LOOOOOONG way. I know some of you have combined it with Red too - was it LP Red or OCCO Red - or maybe you've tried both? I would have thought those two would fight for supremacy, lol, or is that a matter of combining LP Black with the sweeter OCCO Red that make them play nice together?

I have OCCO Pink too....if today goes well, I may have LOTS of reasons to get a FB of Black - and then I'd have to get the OCCO version too.... :Emoticons04263:

Edited by NuTrix

NuTrix, I TOTALLY agree with you about LP Black being loud. I didn't think I wore that much and I fumigated the room. I love the smell but dabs are probably what you need if you are anything like me. As much as I like Black, I REALLY like OCCO Black. It's the same situation as LP Red versus OCCO Red: you could absolutely say "yes, this is Red" but it has a sparkly, tiny bit sweeter vibe to it. OCCO Black is the same. It's Black - resins, deep, dark but with a tiny bit of sparkly, sweet vibe. As others have asked, I wonder if the cops don't add a bit to that sense. I'm a huge fan of the OCCOs because I think they do give a bit lighter, brighter alternative.

I've tried LP Red with a dab of LP Black. I liked it ok but it's not one of my personnel faves. If I layer them with something, I've been tending towards BBM or even Lick of Cream now that I have it. Those two I love because they help to tone down the loudness but also lend a creamy smoothness that isn't necessarily foody.

^^ Have you tried it mixed with LP Pink?

Occo Black is so pretty, old style, classic'ish perfume on me.

I don't think they smell alike at all.

ETA.. IMO this is one of the best threads. I loved going back to the beginning of this thread and reading through. Lots of great stuff..funny, informative, ect. A great read. :)

Highly Recommended!

Edited by StacyK

OK. Black on it's own was a bit strong - I'm not sure if that's the word I'm looking for - maybe loud? Not unpleasant just maybe after reading I should have worn MUCH MUCH less.

Question, it looks like OCCO Black is quite different from LP Black. Do those of you who have both find that to be true? It looks like OCCO is less resinous and more sweet, but just reading it's hard to be certain.

I know some of you have combined it with Red too - was it LP Red or OCCO Red - or maybe you've tried both? I would have thought those two would fight for supremacy, lol, or is that a matter of combining LP Black with the sweeter OCCO Red that make them play nice together?

See I would say LP Black is intense rather than loud. For me "loud" implies a vulgarity out of the realm of whatever the fragrance means to impart, whereas "intense" is characteristic of an implied effect. LP Black means to be a more dark intense variant of the Love Potion recipe.

OCCO Black is not a variant of LP Black, it's based on the original recipe for Ann's Brown Sugar & Black Amber.

A favorite combo is LP Red and LP Black, which is how Mara came up with Passion & Desire.

You're right, Luna. When I think of loud, I think more of annoying human traits. I think loud for us - and maybe just me in particular- meant powerful and a carrier to far off realms. It's a scent that you can dab and smell it but a swipe may be way too much unless you're outside in a wind. Certainly nothing vulgar meant about LP Black! Although I wonder if it's like that for others or is that just another aspect of skin chemistry? I've only got two that carry great distances and therefore I MUST dab or else I will overwhelm everyone and that would be Red and Black. Tiny little dabs have made both total hits at work if I am skimpy on the application.

I guess regarding similarities, I will just chalk it up to my nose and happily remain a minority dissident since I find them a perfect alternative to the LP. :D

OK. Black on it's own was a bit strong - I'm not sure if that's the word I'm looking for - maybe loud? Not unpleasant

See I would say LP Black is intense rather than loud. For me "loud" implies a vulgarity out of the realm of whatever the fragrance means to impart, whereas "intense" is characteristic of an implied effect. LP Black means to be a more dark intense variant of the Love Potion recipe.

OCCO Black is not a variant of LP Black, it's based on the original recipe for Ann's Black Amber & Brown Sugar.

A favorite combo is LP Red and LP Black, which is how Mara came up with Passion & Desire.

YES! YES! Thank you Luna - and your vocabulary too! I knew I was reaching for something...intense is perfect. I thought strong and loud carry a negative connotation for what I was aiming for but my brain would not come up with anything more at that time, lol. Intense, however, is PERFECT because it isn't loud when I wear it, it's very close to the skin but it is potent, aka intense? I'm running with that one - Oooooo, I wish I would have thought of potent earlier too - even that is less offensive sounding than loud :blush: and Black isn't offensive :heart:

The idea that OCCO Black is based on ABABS gives me CHILLS! :jumpforjoy::hubbahubba:

Storemy - I have the OCCO Red & LP too and I agree that the OCCO is lighter and sweeter for sure - I'm always pairing the 2!

I also REALLY like P&D and still have a back up bottle - YAY! So I would have to try Black and Red together for fun :)

Thanks for all the feedback!

OCCO Black is not a variant of LP Black, it's based on the original recipe for Ann's Brown Sugar & Black Amber.

Great distinction Luna. It's "intense" , distinctive maybe even a little "out there". It's something you have to work your way into.. but it will probably not be for everyone. Which is ok by me.

Wore Black with Pink today but I think the sweetness of the EoW has skewed what it could have been. Not that it's bad, but I wouldn't have expected such sweetness from the two. Very interesting though. None the less...I could completely see how fun it would be to play and tweak the two together - I think I should have actually gone lighter on the Pink and left the Black a bit more dominant rather than half and half.

OK. I'm sold on Black...the experimenter in me NEEDS to play with this more.

Without being anything alike, Sex and Violins started out the same way for me. I thought - "I don't know, this may be too resinous for me" - but like Black, once this was on my arms...I couldn't stop huffing it! :D

VANILLA BEAN ~ Aphrodisiac, inspires happiness, playfulness, sexual arousal, lust, vitalizing.
PATCHOULI ~ Soothes and uplifts, sensual, sexually stimulating, lust, fertility, money.
HONEYCOMB ~ Enticing, seductive, use to bewitch a straying or hesitant lover, happiness, fulfillment.
BROWN SUGAR ~ Attracts love, luck, sweetness, riches, lust inducing.
AMBER ~ Fertility, luck, riches, sensuality.

:swoon::perfume:

This is lovely now!! I remember before amping the amber and smelling like dirt (the patch) when I wore this. So two years later I decide to give it another try and figured I'd just mix it with LP red if it didn't work out. I really get the patch in this but the vanilla sweetens it. Or it could be the brown sugar. Usually vanilla goes plastic on me so I'm curious as to what type of vanilla this is (the vanilla in OCCO white goes REALLY plastic on me) But I like pairing this with MRF and with OCCO black it's just about the best dark scent out there. Also this works with Sex and Violins, though the amber gets strong so I have to be careful. LP Red is better with S and V.

Anyway, on me LP black doesn't amp as much as say, OCCO black by itself. I can actually wear this and not have people complain that they smell incense. Just shows you never know until you try. Full bottle for sure.

But I like pairing this with MRF and with OCCO black it's just about the best dark scent out there.

Anyway, on me LP black doesn't amp as much as say, OCCO black by itself. I can actually wear this and not have people complain that they smell incense. Just shows you never know until you try. Full bottle for sure.

I agree that paired with OCCO Black it is about the best dark scent out there! It is lovely! I always keep a couple of bottles of both LP Black and OCCO Black on hand.

LP Black is also great softened with OCCO White.

I agree that paired with OCCO Black it is about the best dark scent out there! It is lovely! I always keep a couple of bottles of both LP Black and OCCO Black on hand.

I love pairing my LP Black with OCCO Black, its a great combo and I really love LP Black all on its own, but I love resins, so thats probably why.

Oooo, really?! I did see someone else wrote they layer it with BBMM. Ok, now I'm COMPLETELY fascinated. I would never have thought it was this versatile. OCCO W is - to me - such a thick vanilla foodie deliciousness. Would that layer along the lines of Black as the main base with just a swipe of OCCO W?

MDC, I have a feeling my bottle will last just as long but I love the idea of LP Black and Snowbound. I definitely need to try these two together!!

I love LP Black in SMALL doses that's for sure. A sample vial lasted a whole year! For awhile my favorite winter bedtime scent was LP BLACK and SNOWBOUND. I would like another trial vial for this winter to try with other vanillas.

On the other hand OCCO BLACK...does not work for me at all.

Same here, MDC. I love LP Black, but OCCO Black was not for me. Neither was Ann's Brown Sugar Black Amber, though, so after what Luna said, that makes sense.

It makes me wonder though, do our noses change? (our sense of what smells "good") ? I always wonder that when I end up trying a scent that was waaay to strong a year or two ago, then loving it later. Does that mean it still smells equally strong/cloying to those around me much the same way it was too cloying for me at first?

It makes me wonder though, do our noses change? (our sense of what smells "good") ? I always wonder that when I end up trying a scent that was waaay to strong a year or two ago, then loving it later. Does that mean it still smells equally strong/cloying to those around me much the same way it was too cloying for me at first?

It can.

I'm all about wearing the right scent for the occasion in general. Though I have taken chances occasionally. I wore LP Black to an event that was somewhat conservative, but I used a light hand and paired it with a little LFM (the RESPECT phero). It all worked well, as far as I know, and I even got a few compliments.

Then of course some people have strong reactions or prejudices to scents. Patch being one. It's such a powerful sensory tool.

I have wondered this myself!

Couple reasons:

1 - I think it must change with our chemistry. If how/what we eat can change the very smell of our perspiration, why wouldn't something as organic as LP change with circumstance? And by organic I mean that LP doesn't have the chemical fixatives that commercial fragrances do to KEEP the scents the same.

2 - It took me some realization and thought to appreciate LP fragrances. All I had known before LP were commercial scents and there's this mental expectation that that brings. LPs morph and change deliciously throughout wear. There are several scents that I love BECAUSE once I get through the first 45 minutes to an hour they are positively heavenly to me and SO worth that wait! And, as mentioned above, depending on how clean I'm eating - and even throughout my cycle - some are consistent but some ARE different.

Those two things have made LP an adventure. Add to that layering! WOWZAH! The possibilities are endless!

I have wondered how all these things register to others...what if someone has that same reaction I did at first when I was trying to figure out the enigma that is LP?

What was that woman thinking in her mind when I was wearing P&D and she asked, "What smells like a candle in here?" How much was me, how much was her and how much was LP? Hmmmm....

But I mean change in the sense that if it smelled disagreeable to me before, why would I like it now? and does it still smell disagreeable ON me to others?

I am still rocking my LP Black though. Lately I've been trying it with OCCO Red. I still can't believe I can wear this with the Patch. in it. I am ordering a FB this month...

Black is on my list for next month...some others things squeezed it out this month, lol, but I'm trying to curb my desire to have everything NOW....I had no idea it would be SOOO difficult to do though! :blink:

Black is on my list for next month...some others things squeezed it out this month, lol, but I'm trying to curb my desire to have everything NOW....I had no idea it would be SOOO difficult to do though! :blink:

Black is such a good staple scent to have in your collection... It took me awhile to add it to mine as all of the NR's keep squeezing it out of the way.

But I mean change in the sense that if it smelled disagreeable to me before, why would I like it now? and does it still smell disagreeable ON me to others?

I am still rocking my LP Black though. Lately I've been trying it with OCCO Red. I still can't believe I can wear this with the Patch. in it. I am ordering a FB this month...

Hmm. My first reaction to Sex & Violins was - No. Not for me. But, literally months, later when I finally braved it I couldn't stop huffing my arms. I wonder if when someone else smells it on me, do they initially crinkle their nose - like I first did - or do they want to follow the scent around - like I do now?

I'd say if you're rockin' it then others are probably likin' it too :love:

Hormone cycles can affect the way perfume can smell on us.

But I think your talking about how your actual preference for the scent changed. ex. You didn't care for it before and now you like it.

That was me. I had to work my way up to liking LP Black.

I think, like a palette for different foods, sometimes our "nose Palette" can develop it's preferences for certain scents. I really didn't care for Patch and still don't in some blends. I never thought I'd like LP Black and the first time I wore it I was not sure. But as I worked my way through various LP scents I think I expanded my scent palette and I'm wearing a wider variety of scent notes.

As far as the scent still being stinky, well it still smells the same, some people will like it some may not, It's just your tastes that have expanded.

For me, like Pheros, I try to wear scents that compliment a specific situation if necessary.

Though I have been bolder and I even broke out the Black for a more conservative event. I toned it down by going light on the scent and adding a little LFM and I think it went well. :)

Edited by StacyK

• 1 month later...

When i first put it on which was an hour ago i recoiled so fast from my hand lol

It was SYRUPY RESINY WOOD. The wood smelt burnt and it almost seemed like it would splinter my face and there was just something i REALLY didnt like about it. I reapplied on the same spot recently and its behaving like it should. or how i think it should. I think the culprit was the patch, damn that was rank. i shook the vial extra hard and that was probably the problem.

SO the patch decided to not be a little bitch this time round and let the other resin come out to play; which is supah sexaay smelling now. It turns out to be a smoky and heavy (Heavy) vanilla/something cloying which i think is the honey since theres no apricot in this. It has this sorta woody feel to it that i can almost taste when its kinda wet. Once dry the foody junk sit back to make the base and the resins are all up in mah grill being dark and mysterious with a tiny bit of vanilla peaking through all that smoke.

I dont hate it, but its not gonna get as much love from me as it's other resiny sisters. Gonna wait til im more experienced to appreciate it.