Tortuga w/True Confessions

AD-Tortuga_540x.jpg?v=1588376934

Artist: Barbara A McVey

MAGICKAL MEANINGS OF INGREDIENTS:

MUSK ~ Self confidence and strength, sexual attractant, heightens passions and arousal.
WATER/AQUATIC ACCORDS ~ Cleansing, purifying. Fertility, Goddess energy, fluid of life. Renewal.
AIR/OZONE ACCORD ~ Thought, communication, ideas, awareness.
SALT ACCORD ~ protection, purification, grounding, resurrection, baptism.
COCONUT ~ Protection, purification, receptivity.
OAK ~ A wood of masculine and projective energy. It symbolizes endurance, triumph, strength, power, prosperity, and heroism.
MAILE VINE/LEAF ~ Eternal love, respect, honor, spiritual connection.

I feel like I need a...disclaimer?  Kinda?  We know fragrance is a subjective experience and all.  But if someone asked me to describe Tortuga on first sniff I would say: "Authentically beachy."  LIke, the actual smell of being at the beach: sea air and suntan lotion.  But no sweetness at all, so it's for guys in that respect (although there's nothing wrong with a bit of sweetness but I know some guys will absolutely run away in the other direction like it's poison).  But I would say this one is actually unisex because some ladies might prefer a more neutral take on beachiness.  I mean, I might wear this too even though I have a few beachy scents I'm already in a committed relationship with.

This is, I dare say, the masculine equivalent of Tropical Musk.

Tortuga is primarily bowling me over with how incredibly authentic it is - like when people used to marvel at Christopher Brosius' fragranced recreation of a summer day at the beach in 1966.  This is exactly the kind of thing I was talking about in my interview with Ryan: fragrance as time travel, dimensional travel, placing you in a particular time and place.  I won't call it a Proustian moment but rather a Ratatouille one, you are there.  And you have sand everywhere.

So guys, if you're looking for a Summer fragrance - either one for this year or because you've never had one, and especially if we're still going to have to spend most of our time indoors - you need to get this, it's perfect.  It puts you in just the right mood, it's evocative, it's clean and light so appropriate for warm weather, but it captures that summer vibe exactly.

35 minutes ago, luna65 said:

I feel like I need a...disclaimer?  Kinda?  We know fragrance is a subjective experience and all.  But if someone asked me to describe Tortuga on first sniff I would say: "Authentically beachy."  LIke, the actual smell of being at the beach: sea air and suntan lotion.  But no sweetness at all, so it's for guys in that respect (although there's nothing wrong with a bit of sweetness but I know some guys will absolutely run away in the other direction like it's poison).  But I would say this one is actually unisex because some ladies might prefer a more neutral take on beachiness.  I mean, I might wear this too even though I have a few beachy scents I'm already in a committed relationship with.

Tortuga is primarily bowling me over with how incredibly authentic it is - like when people used to marvel at Christopher Brosius' fragranced recreation of a summer day at the beach in 1966.  This is exactly the kind of thing I was talking about in my interview with Ryan: fragrance as time travel, dimensional travel, placing you in a particular time and place.  I won't call it a Proustian moment but rather a Ratatouille one, you are there.  And you have sand everywhere.

So guys, if you're looking for a Summer fragrance - either one for this year or because you've never had one, and especially if we're still going to have to spend most of our time indoors - you need to get this, it's perfect.  It puts you in just the right mood, it's evocative, it's clean and light so appropriate for warm weather, but it captures that summer vibe exactly.

This sounds fascinating to me!  I was a fan of Chris’s fragrances (when I had the money to spend on them).  

• 3 weeks later...

This is gorgeous, and it does cuddle up to Tropical Musk (in my top 3..or 5 of all time). I have two bottles of Tropical Musk left, so I'll be ordering a full bottle or ten of this offering.

• 5 weeks later...

Found my trial of this in my backpack today, and put it on without sniffing. Felt instantly tropical, but not in the coconut sunscreen way, more like the end of a long beach day when it’s still warm and humid.

It literally makes me think of lava at the beach in Hawaii, right after sunset time. Not a showy “Ooooh look at that” sunset, more like the “how long can we reasonably stay in the ocean on this moonless night before this becomes a bad idea?” sunset. When you’ve been there long enough that you know how to be on the sand and lava around the shores edge without hurting yourself, and when any shoes other than flat flip flops seem excessive. 

The maile vine scent is unique, almost as if a plant secreted a green honey/vanilla sap. But not sticky, emphasis on green. Any stickiness would be from skin and the humidity. BF said, “surprisingly floral, for you,” as this girl wears no florals on the regular. (He always says “you smell nice,” when I wear a flowery trial to bed, but I’m not looking to smell “nice.”) I’m guessing it’s an association with the ozone accord, as it’s often paired with Jasmine and whatnot. This is not a floral, IMO.

Full disclosure, the True Confessions phero insists that I tell you, I did once get married, at sunset, wearing a maile lei on a beach in Maui. But this doesn’t smell like that, I smelled like hair products on that day, my BIL is a strong willed hairdresser and he had a vision. Tortuga is absolutely unisex, but I think it’s beach sexy for a woman who has no interest in being cloying or sweet. It’s a very ‘honest’ scent, makes a perfect pairing with TC!

Edited by Eastwood22

• 1 month later...

Two sort of off-the-wall reactions for me:

1) It made my recent intimate time VERY tantric. There was a mention of this under the True Confessions thread. Instead of resulting in a lot of verbal disclosure, this resulted in very slow, very connected, energetic body orgasms for both parties. Having this happen is not entirely unusual for me, as I have been tantric for many years, but it facilitated the process a LOT.  

2) long lasting and comforting - I kept noticing it on my wrist after 12 hours, much like I would normally do Aja. And by then it had a bit of cakey smell to it, which was comforting and pleasant. I had to go back to my tester bottle to assure myself it had morphed that much. The scent helped me come down from the intense experiences as described above. 

I need this in my life !

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/22/2020 at 6:23 PM, Eastwood22 said:

The maile vine scent is unique, almost as if a plant secreted a green honey/vanilla sap. But not sticky, emphasis on green. Any stickiness would be from skin and the humidity. BF said, “surprisingly floral, for you,” as this girl wears no florals on the regular. (He always says “you smell nice,” when I wear a flowery trial to bed, but I’m not looking to smell “nice.”) I’m guessing it’s an association with the ozone accord, as it’s often paired with Jasmine and whatnot. This is not a floral, IMO.

Huh. In my reaction notes, I kept describing this as floral. Interesting that he and I read it that way, but you don't. I wonder why that is. 

I found this very oceany, but also floral (in a very plant like way.) On me, it was more feminine than straight up unisex. It's like sitting on a restaurant patio somewhere in the tropics. The restaurant is near the ocean. Not directly on it, but close enough to catch the breeze. You're right at the edge of the patio, next to planters full of tropical flowers, so every time the breeze blows, it rustles the plants, mingling in their scent with that of the ocean. That's what I get, at least. A fresh, aquatic tropical floral that becomes more floral as it wears. 

I found it very soothing, and I think the pheromones helped take the emotional edge off the headache I had, too.

I put on Tortuga with True Confessions before teaching a nighttime class. I thought the phero was Open Windows, I would never intentionally wear TC to class, boy was I chatty! But the real hits came right before class. I was so glad to have that trial in my car after a long drive, I hadn’t given any thought to the phero at all, I just wanted that awesome smell.Tortuga makes the stickiness I felt from sitting in a hot car feel good, since I smell like I’ve come directly from the beach.

I had gone into the studio to make my playlist, and another teacher was teaching his class via zoom. I turned on the fan on my side of the room, and I guess it was blowing over to him. I was minding my own business, making my playlist with headphones on, and he paused his class to come over and talk to me! He got a little choked up telling me about two other studios closing, (all the local yoga studios are throwing in the towel), and then told me how much he missed me. It was sweet but I never meant to phero-bomb him!

• 4 months later...

Merry Christmas ! 

This little concoction came me with me on my drive to the Columbia River with hubby on Christmas Day.  We didn't have time to drive all the way into the woods so the river destination was a workable solution. I know I wanted a TC blend and I do have it straight in a rollerball. But I just adore the Tortuga scent and I finished off my sample vial instead. I feel the scent and phero are congruent (as have been mentioned many times before). I literally have hundreds to LPMP scents I could have reached for to combine with the TC...but I didn't. I have become bonded to this scent ! And quite unexpectedly so. To me it dries down to a comforting creamy spa scent that lasts for hours. I think of this as a unisex scent. I didn't think that it was that special when I first tried it but now....oh boy....I'll be VERY sad when it's all gone. It's more unisex and Balm Bomb like than I was expecting. The individual ingredients blend together beautifully to create something VERY special. I hope you got a chance to try it !

• 10 months later...

skin musk after a full day at the beach. you smell of worn out coconut sunscreen and are getting the humid ocean breeze. gorgeous, very evocative, light enough for blisteringly hot days, probably smells even better in summer humidity. coconut can often be too much for me but it's as airy as musk and coconut can be. I don't always love musk-prominent scents either but this is just lovely. like luna mentioned, authentically beachy, sea air and suntan lotion. I can't wait to wear this in the hot hot summer!!!

On 5/7/2020 at 11:24 AM, luna65 said:

@luna65, I want to thank you for this incredible review. It was because of this review that I purchased this blend during the sale and like you I have quite the stash of beachy scents I'm already in a committed relationship with.  This is so authentic, that I truly felt I was at the beach.  I really like this blend and I normally stay clear of unisex scents but this is a must have for anyone that loves a beach scent and does not want the sweetness that come with most of those scents... 

• 7 months later...

This is so good! On my skin it's pure coconut, not sweet, but beachy. Reminds me of Guerlain's Coconut Fizz. I keep sniffing my arm all the time. So, so good! Perfect for summer! 🥥

• 1 month later...