Love Potion: Winter Solstice 2009

Ingredients: COCOA ~ VANILLA ~ WALNUT ~ TEAK ~ MAHOGANY ~ PEACH ~ PATCHOULI ~ AMBER ~ APRICOT

Wet: smells like a dark cocoa and dark vanilla with a slightly nutty undertone.

Drydown: on me this one becomes dark and reminds me of scented incense. I'm getting a waft of patchouli and an aroma of walnuts, but I think it's mixing with teak and mahogany because it's like a nutty, woody smell. The cocoa and vanilla have faded like they're being pulled into the darkness. They're there, but I have to really try to sniff for them because the scent has veered toward a deep, rich resinous aroma that I'd smell upon entering a new age shop where they had burned incense frequently but it's not burning just then. The aroma is a residual - the history of days and years before hidden in the walls and fabrics. It's actually kind of fascinating and thoroughly surprising.

Hmmmmm.....now this one is different from all of the LP varieties that I have smelled......nutty, woodsy....darker than most of the varieties.......except Black of course......if you like the deeper scents, but Black is too resinous for you, try this one......nicely done!

ooh this one really has my interest, can you detect the peach at all?

I got a little bit of peach wafting in and out when I sampled it.....but the main focus is the cocoa and the nutty woodsiness.....

ooh this one really has my interest, can you detect the peach at all?

I didn't get a hint of peach in there anywhere. It became a darker scent shortly after application and by drydown, if there was peach in there, and I missed it, I definitely couldn't smell it once it dried.

It doesn't seem like it would be a darker scent, but it definitely became dark on me.

Dolly, I was wondering if you would like this one, knowing that you like darker, resinous scents!

I didn't get a hint of peach in there anywhere. It became a darker scent shortly after application and by drydown, if there was peach in there, and I missed it, I definitely couldn't smell it once it dried.

It doesn't seem like it would be a darker scent, but it definitely became dark on me.

Dolly, I was wondering if you would like this one, knowing that you like darker, resinous scents!

Well, I DO like it, but I think that one sample will be plenty for me....this is not one that I need to slather, for sure.....a little bit goes a long way......thanks anyway!

Edited by Dolly

Does this resemble Theirry Mugler's Angel? Is it dark chocolate?

Great! I'll probably need this one as well. :love:

Does this resemble Theirry Mugler's Angel? Is it dark chocolate?

Great! I'll probably need this one as well. :love:

I've never smelled Angel, but I don't get dark chocolate per se.....I get a cup of hot cocoa.....

I've never smelled Angel, but I don't get dark chocolate per se.....I get a cup of hot cocoa.....

Okay, I may be good with a sample only then. Whew!

I have been reading everyone's reviews of the new scents and I have been going back and forth with ordering all of them, or just a few. BUT NOW...I must have them all! I may go ahead and get that full bottle of Warrior Heart, too. I love that scent...and the intent. I get many comments on how good it smells through the day.

Thanks to all for the great reviews!

ETA: I just saw Jo Anna's mention of Angel (which I love). If Winter Soltice is even close, I know I will love it.

Edited by DownDog

A quick side by side comparison of Winter Solstice 2008 and Winter Solstice 2009:

Winter Solstice 2008 is more like Love Potion Black with rich butter creme and vanilla overtones, like a hug from a sexy person. Winter Solstice 2009 is very Cocoa driven with vanilla, nut, and fruit accents. With my own sample vial, the most predomient notes are the cocoa and vanilla. I couldn't detect any fruit notes on myself. So maybe each sample vial may vary. Winter Solstice 2009 is a cuddle up with a book and blanket scent. I love both versions, though I do find Winter Solstice 2008 more sexy. And yes, I too plan on buying a full bottle of the '09 version.

Tested thoroughly today... I slathered after a shower to be sure I had no "interference". To me - this is not as Sweet as Angel. Of course this depends on your skin, and how things predominate for you, but on me I get the immediate cocoa/vanilla/woods scent, which is lovely and balanced. No not is too heavy. A bit later I got more vanilla/cocoa/amber and never quite got the peach (which is OK by me!) On me it is NOT a *dark* chocolate, but like it lists, a milk chocolate, and yummy. Woods give it some depth, and vanilla a lovely middle and constant note. It reminds me of Bravado, and I might seriously consider a full bottle.

Alright so this was one of the first I tested from the sampler and mmm this is nice! I have a couple of 2008 WS samples but this one is SOOO much better on me!

I totally get The Hot cocoa scent from this one. But it is a rich warm and cozy hot chocolate. THe vanilla warms it as well and the fruit in this scent seems to round it out into a nice alluring perfume scent. I VERY much like this one and am looking forward to wearing it ^_^

This works so much better on me than '08, but it's interesting, not really what I expected. In the vial I can sense all the sweet elements - the chocolate and the brightness of the apricot, for example - and it stays like that for a little while, but in the drydown the woods really come to the fore. It makes me envision what Everything Nice would have been like it was woods + chocolate & LP base instead of woods + sugar & spice. In the end it's mostly the LP base, but not as creamy as I normally perceive it. But I like this one, it supports my theory that combining just about anything with the LP base will automatically make it awesome.

• 2 weeks later...

I get the chocolate and patchouli and fruits, but the blend makes the fruit seem like there's a floral rosey element that sort of kills it for me. This actually smells a lot like chocolate and roses on me, which isn't really what I was looking for. Interesting blend though.

A comforting, cuddly, cozy, warm cup of hot cocoa.

I'm not usually a foody scent kind of person, and though this one reminds me so much of hot cocoa, it's not overly foody or sweet to me.

Just very cuddly and comforting. This scent reminds me of coming in after a long day of sledding and playing in the snow, peeling off the wet snow clothes, and sitting at the kitchen table for some cocoa while I got warmed up.

• 6 months later...

This one is a bit odd on me... I don't dislike it by any means, but it makes me feel nostalgic. I get the dark cocoa, nuttiness and a bit of wood, but there's someting else that makes me think of my sister and mt childhood...

For some reason I get a note that smells just like my sister would smell when she was polishing her saddles with saddle soap... It's sort of a mix of leather, horse, hay and honey if that makes sense... The cocoa is the main note, but the horsey smell is still there in the background :)

• 1 month later...
This one is a bit odd on me...

For some reason I get a note that smells just like my sister would smell when she was polishing her saddles with saddle soap... It's sort of a mix of leather, horse, hay and honey if that makes sense... The cocoa is the main note, but the horsey smell is still there in the background :lol:

HA. Must be why I like it - smells horsey. Noooo, I really don't get any saddle soap or horsey associations.

This one had to grow on me - now I love it. I get a heavy dose of cocoa - like opening a tin of cocoa powder, with the woods making it firmer. And just drifting in and out, almost tantalizing, is the sweeter LP base and the fruitiness. But they never stay long. It just makes me pause and search for the scent, but it has already fled.

Perfect on a chilly day, and I wear it to bed frequently. Though DH is not a fan of LP Winter Solstice 2009 - he calls it "that chocolate one."

• 4 weeks later...

I love this one. This is actually the first version of an LP I have smelled and I love it. Did I mention that I love it? The cocoa drew me in instantly and this is the kind of chocolate scent that I like, sweet, but dark, grounded and woodsy. This also has the kind of patch I like. It smells sparkly to me, like it's tickling my nose. I wear this one to go to sleep a lot.

• 3 months later...

This is so yummy...it reminds me a lot of those maple-walnut cream-filled chocolates which I just love. I recognize the delicious black walnut note from Marley's Ghost, and it's just as rich and beautiful here. Additionally, the fruit rounds it out and the warm woody background adds complexity and depth. A perfect zero-calorie winter treat! :D

• 10 months later...

Not really. There's a tiny hint, but even if fragrances share the same notes they may not be the same because of the type (could be different sources, for example) and ratio of elements and the way they are blended.

Not really. There's a tiny hint, but even if fragrances share the same notes they may not be the same because of the type (could be different sources, for example) and ratio of elements and the way they are blended.

Ah ok. Are there any LPs that are similar to this?

Similar to Teddy Man or to Winter Solstice '09? If you're asking about Teddy Man I think Q&Q's Delicious Wood is somewhat similar (which was not my intent when I came up with the idea, but it turned out wonderfully).

Well I don't know that there is, really. Mark's Girl Nip is a chocolate/woods type of blend, but the inclusion of the LP base really makes Winter Solstice '09 fairly unique. Maybe someone else might have a suggestion.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...