Paypal warning

knjsavy

Good Morning Ladies,

Paypal scam/PHISHING

Since we all use paypal - please see below, scams have increased due to the economy

Last night i received an email to my paypal account - looked very official and was from paypal customer service saying they see a charge to x (robert somebody)for y(500 worth of electronics) and need my authorization to pay, if i did not make the charges then click unauthorized charge and follow instructions

It looked just like all the other paypal emails i have received but something felt off - it was an attempt to get my paypal info to steal money from my paypal account - i called the paypal people and LOOK OUT FOR THE ITEMS BELOW

ANY EMAIL FROM PAYPAL WILL SAY DEAR - YOUR FIRST AND LAST NAME, NOT DEAR PAYPAL CUSTOMER OR USER

DO NOT CLICK ON ANY LINKS, PUT YOUR CURSOR ON THE LINK TO SEE THE EXACT ADDRESS - MANY WILL BE TO A PRIVATE IP ADDRESS, IF IT DOES NOT SAY @paypal.com DO NOT CLICK ON THE LINK AND DO NOT SEND THE PERSON A REPLY EMAIL OR ANYTHING

IF ANYTHING LOOKS OR DOES NOT FEEL RIGHT - CONTACT PAYPAL IMMEDIATELY AND IMMEDIATELY CHANGE YOUR PASSWORD - EVEN IF YOU ONLY READ THE EMAIL

SEND THE SUSPICIOUS EMAIL TO SPOOF@PAYPAL.COM - DO NOT CHANGE THE ADDRESS LINE JUST FORWARD IT AS IS

Pass on to others as the paypal rep said there will probably be an increase in these types of scams and if everyone starts sending the emails to them the scammers will be stopped (at least they will move from the paypal arena because it will not be profitable if we are vigilant and it helps other consumers from being scammed)

I get e-mails claiming to be from Bank of America all the time.

A good rule of thumb: Never click the e-mail links. Always go to the site in question by typing in the URL that you always use to do business with that site, or call the customer service number to double check. (Not the customer service number in the e-mail.)

You should do the same thing for phone calls. If someone calls saying they are your bank, or the government, ask what department, and for the name of the person you are talking to. Then say you will call them back. Look up the number for the institution, and call it. If they are legit, you will be able to ask for the person you were talking to, and continue the conversation. (Like with the e-mail, don't take their word for the number to call them back at.)

I have older family members who got caught by the phone thing, gave out account numbers, and lost money. Very sad.

Also, don't believe people on the phone who ask for your bank and routing number, even if they say it's safe because it's on all your checks. They CAN use it to pull money out of your account without permission. A real company won't, because they will be sued, a fake company disappears over night, and faces no consequences.

Grrrrrrrrrrrr. There are bad people in the world, and they make me mad.

I trust no one.

I must make the initial call.

People suck.

Hee hee! Yea, what she said. :angry:

I trust no one.

I must make the initial call.

People suck.

Sadly, it seems they outnumber us these days, but if your default is that people suck then you're pleasantly surprised when you find the ones that don't and aren't left damaged by the ones that do. That's the lesson I kept getting until it finally sunk in but only after years of paying a price that was far too high.

I had to post it because the email came from paypal.com right after i sent a paypal payment to a secure location. Then it looked exactly like every other email i had recieved from paypal (at first glance you have to do snooping)

the only difference was it said dear paypal use and not dear my name - other wise exactly identical to all my other paypal emails

People are sick, mean baystids (bastards)

Isn't it amazing as well how many princes there are from obscure African countries that have had to flee their country and now need your help (and bank account info) to transfer a few billion out of their country? And you'll get a few million for the trouble of "letting them use" you bank account :lol: