Love Potion #9

katz

gallery photo

Classic and refined, while very modern, clean and fresh. The smooth combination of Citrus and Musk in Love Potion #9® may be worn equally by both Women and Men - transcending gender, transcending time. It is both mature and ageless - and will make you feel like pure magic!

Legendary Hall of Famers, songwriters Jerry Leiber and Mike Stoller made history in 1960 when they coined the phrase "Love Potion #9" and topped the charts with their song recorded by the Searchers, which remains a classic staple of both music and modern lingo to this day.

The fellows long dreamed of one day creating a perfume by the same name and approached noted perfumer Mara Fox in the mid 1990's to create it with them. The pair were instrumental in selecting the ingredients that are classic and refined, while very modern, clean and fresh!

CITRUS ~ Energizing, uplifting, longevity, faithfulness, fidelity, friendship, mental acuity.
MUSK ~ Self confidence and strength, sexual attractant, heightens passions and arousal.

I checked thru the older pages looking for someone else's notes...but didn't find it....hrm.

Well, I got a sample of this with my last order, and I must say I really, really like it. It's a much more sophisticated scent than I was expecting, lovely both fresh and hours later, when the citrus has calmed down and the musk notes have warmed up.

It reminds me of a (very expensive) scent I've been longing to purchase for some time which has citrus over an incense note...it's a gorgeous one to wear in the heat (of which there is still a LOT of out here in the West). I can see enjoying this one in the summertime, too. I'm not sure if I'm in an "absorbing fragrance" phase of the month, but this one seemed somewhat fleeting on me today, not that I minded re-applying! I'll keep it around for another trial in a few weeks.

Body chemistry is wierd, sometimes! :)

This is one of the very few Love Potion named scents that I hadn't ordered yet. Though in both the package I recieved today and a few days ago I received it in a sample vial. I have to say I like it. It is a different type of smell than the other Love Potions offered. Is it just my imagination or is anyone else detecting a similarity to Calvin Klien either One or Be? It has been several years since I sniffed either one of them I can't be sure which I'm thinking of. Then again I may be mistaken entirely and it could be something else it reminds me of. I've not tried it out yet, but I intend to soon. Their are just a couple others I'm planning to test out first; Phero Girl and Plaisirs de la Nuit.

Yes, I do detect the Calvin Klein resemblance. This wasn't one of my favorite Lp scents because it smells a bit too "department store men's cologne" on me but my daughter loves it so I gave her my sample. I guess it does not work with my chemistry.

Edited by blupest

Okay, Let’s be Frank (lol that’s my saying of the month and yes I know I’m a dork!) When I first opened #9 (I too received it as a sample) I thought YUCK! That will smell awful on me not to mention the headache it will induce. I put it away with my other potions and never thought I would use it but maybe give it away to a dark haired friend who I thought it would blend well with. I hadn’t looked at it in a day or two so naturally it was long forgotten! Well I was digging through my potions this afternoon, looking for one I hadn’t worn in a long time and that’s when I found it. I opened it up and went "Whew!" then I thought "what the hell" and I put just a dab on my wrist and "Holy Crap!" I had no idea! It smells sooooo different on the skin than it does in the bottle. Even my little boy noted the fresh citrus scent. We’re talking designer label with out the crazy ladies at the counter attacking you when you walk in to Macy’s with your shopping bags! It’s like sunshine on your skin, light and refreshing, but playful and sexy too. I am so glad I tried it and you will be too! So get ta shoppin and have a sweet smelling day!

PO-TAT-OES! Mash em, cook em, stick em in a Stew

Pixie!! :)

• 1 year later...

I have to say I love this one. It is definitely reminescent of CK1. Drop the harsh, sharp notes I always hated. There you have it, Lp#9! I had my spray boosted w/ H&S. Which is also a unisex blend. So I can't wait for my husband & I to step out all matchy-matchy, lol. I love,love,love this beautiful fragrance.-Be Blessed,Beccah-

• 2 months later...

I got the spray version a while back...this is one of may absolute favs...it's my go to when I can't make up my mind/or just to freshen up....It lifts me up...& I feel fresh & sexy...

I bought this for the Darlin and man does it smell gooooooood on a man-I can get the cK1 comparisons, but its not as cheap smelling AT ALL to me, or watered down as that stuff(man since I've found LP and a few other artisan perfumers, have I ever been snobby about department store stuff-there's a few exceptions(Angel, Tocca,Bond No.9,Penhaligons), but not many-but can you friggin belive, that before I got in a lil deeper here, I almose dropped like 300 bucks on some little coffret of Tom Ford perfume vials? WTF??!!! LP can do every scent in that box-in larger sizes with cooler labels and better staying power! Even like, Creed, Annick Goutal, compared to REAL crafted oils-they just dont do it for me anymore.)

And now back to LP#9-D is in a band called the Potions inspired by that very song so he totally freaked when I gave him the bottle which he covets and now carrys around in his guitar case everywhere-but the smell-yum!! Clean CITRUS wood-my best way to put it, with a definite masculine undertone.

Sometimes I'll swipe it and spray a shirt with it if he's gonna be gone awhile(yeah I'm weird that way), cause I like to smell him, but I do find it a tad manly for me-but thats just me!

And if the staying power of LP#9 is any indication of the beta tests then-were all in luck, cause that stuff lasts a good long time. Good juice, I likes.

Edited by cheeseburger79

Sometimes I'll swipe it and spray a shirt with it if he's gonna be gone awhile(yeah I'm weird that way), cause I like to smell him, but I do find it a tad manly for me-but thats just me!

That's a universal thing, actually...it's why they have His4Her, for example.

• 2 months later...

I was wondering if any of you wonderful women on here have smelled this on your guy? (I read Cheeseburger79's awesome review posted here but I was hoping for other opinions as well.) The reason I ask is because this morning I took the sample vial I had and swiped a couple of time from the stick onto the top of my hand. At first I really couldn't smell anything. After about 2 or 3 minutes, I was sitting at the computer catching up on some work when I thought to myself, 'What the hell smells so good?!!!' It took me a minute to figure out that it was the Love Potion #9. I literally started walking around the house wanting to let out a gutteral growl because the scent just makes me feel that way. I wish me and my GF hadn't split last month. I'd love to have tried this around her. I think I may have a new favorite that I am probably going to boost with pheros but now I have to figure out which phero mix to get with it. I think if I paired it with Wanted Man I'd probably scare women away but I was thinking about Drop Your Guard or maybe Actor's Magic. Any suggestions?

I do get the (to my nose) passing resemblence to CK One but this has a much stronger, more intense and MUCH more interesting scent. Not only is it stronger but it is far deeper (if that makes sense). I smell a lot more going on here than I do with CK One. Add to that the fact that I've never had quite the uh, visceral reaction to CK One that I've had to this one. The name seems pretty appropriate as far as I'm concerned. Now if women like it that'll be the icing on the cake.

Anyway, back to my original question, how does this smell to you (on a guy?) Thanks!

Edited by Snoopyace

To answer your question. I'm usually on the soapbox about the glorious smell of LP#9 cologne on my man. I loves it on him. I think the oil & the spray smell a little bit different. The best comparison to commercial is CK1, however CK1 is really harsh smelling when compared to LP#9. LP#9 is smooth like Casanova, CK1 would Casanova's older slightly retarded, slightly creepy older brother that doesn't have a clue how to talk to women :Polar-pressie:

Edited by Beccah1

To answer your question. I'm usually on the soapbox about the glorious smell of LP#9 cologne on my man. I loves it on him. I think the oil & the spray smell a little bit different. The best comparison to commercial is CK1, however CK1 is really harsh smelling when compared to LP#9. LP#9 is smooth like Casanova, CK1 would Casanova's older slightly retarded, slightly creepy older brother that doesn't have a clue how to talk to women :Polar-pressie:

I love it! :Xmas-Hug:

Thanks for the review. I am definitely going to order this one. As much as I love Excalibur, I think this one is getting ordered first (budget constraints won't let me get them both right now). Now I just have to decide what pheros I want this with.

I originally tried it in the cologne form, and I liked it (it did remind me of CK1) but I won't wear cologne (as a personal preference) so I need to get the oil version now to try it on my Quince - although I know he's going to object because he doesn't like citrus in scent (unless he can't smell it) but I imagine it would be yummy on him.

I originally tried it in the cologne form, and I liked it (it did remind me of CK1) but I won't wear cologne (as a personal preference) so I need to get the oil version now to try it on my Quince - although I know he's going to object because he doesn't like citrus in scent (unless he can't smell it) but I imagine it would be yummy on him.

:Polar-pressie: Dab it on him in stealth mode.

I'd definitely be getting the oil version because I have found that I much prefer the oil base to the alcohol. I spent a lot of time and money figuring out how to make phero blends in oil base using the AD pheros. Even if nobody else really loves the smell of this on me, I'm sold just because I do.

I think beccah1 had the right idea, wait till he's not looking and... *dab dab dab*

Edited by Snoopyace

I've tried that...he's an observant man. :Polar-pressie:

Like the ol'switcheroo:

"Wot are you annointing me with now?"

*picks up decoy* "This one!"

*sniffs* "Right then."

*gets out the REAL scent and is about to dab*

*sniffs* "Wait, wot is that?"

And this is the man who usually barely smells anything unless he's huffing my skin...until I'm trying to be sneaky. But in some cases sexual bargaining works, although his argument this time will be that I used to rant against commercial fragrance and therefore he will make the appropriate comparison and use airtight boffin logic in stating "I thought you said I wasn't allowed to smell like commercial crap!" Which, of course, will prompt an entirely different lecture.

• 3 weeks later...
I am considering this amped with Charisma for the SO for Valentines day. I love the fragrance ad have been dying for him to try Charisma. I wish I had all kinds of money to spoil him!

Speaking as a guy, I don't think he'll be disappointed. I love the smell of LP #9 and the Charisma phero blend seems to make me almost magnetic to people. The name definitely fits. :lol:

Thanks for the vote of confidence. He doesn't really like people that much, so the magnetic quality may drive him nuts, but it's for his own good, right?

There ya go. Actually, in addition to the attraction aspects of Charisma it seems to make any social interactions go much more smoothly. Even if he's not a 'people' person (I know I'm not) it does make things flow more smoothly.

Good to know! He isn't a grouch or anything (except sometimes) it just takes alot out of him to interact with people. I am the same way so I totally understand. Picked a great profession being a therapist didn't I? I am s tired at the end of the day sometimes I just want to crawl under a rock!

• 7 months later...

As others have mentioned, this smells very much like CK1. Crisp, clean and youthful. I imagine I'll wear this when I'm in a white cotton shirt and jeans. This will definitely smell great on a man. IMO, men <40 years old.

• 3 months later...

FINALLY ordered a big bottle of this. Any new reviews before I get mine and review it? (again)

I just got my stamps notification so it will only be a few days! HOORAY!!! :(

Just got my bottle of Love Potion #9 (in oil). Out of the bottle it has that citrus note with just a hint of musk. Smells fantastic but nothing like a store bought cologne to my nose. That could be the oil base as opposed to the alcohol base. I just rolled on a ton and I smell awesome if I do say so myself. I can't wait to see how other people react to this when I go out in a short time. Right now I am loving it!

I've been totally digging this one but something in my chemistry seems to amp the citrus more than the musk (or hold onto the citrus so it sticks around with the musk), however it works. I actually had a random woman ask me about my scent because I smelled like a Dreamsicle. She did quickly add that it was sort of a masculine Dreamsicle. It was funny because I told her it was my Love Potion #9 and showed her the bottle. She thought it was pretty cool that the guys who did the song had a hand in the scent.

On to other impressions. This is a LONG lasting scent on me. I can put it on in the morning and I still smell it at the application points the next morning. It also smells very nice. Fairly linear on me in that the citrus doesn't completely disappear in the first few hours. It takes more like 8 hours before it is musk with a little citrus. Whatever, I like it and more importantly the ladies in my life also like it. Good stuff!

• 4 weeks later...

Okay so I am sitting here after having been outside shoveling some of the 21" of snow that fell last night. I am thinking to myself, I need a taste of Summer (and I gave away my bottles of Brad's Days of Summer- allergic to something in it but it smells incredible) I don't have my 'Summer scent' PE yet so I'll grab for the LP#9. Wow, the bottle is a third of the way gone and I just got it not long ago! I guess I do wear it a lot. :D

This is one scent that sort of snuck up on me. I really like it but I didn't realize just how much I have been wearing it. So now, I sit here in front of my computer smelling really good and starting to feel less winter blah. I really like the way the citrus and musk play in this and unless my new PE becomes my signature scent (I already have 3 that I rotate between) I think I'll be getting another bottle of this (apparently sooner rather than later).

This reminds me of CK one!!! :lol2: except this has a lslight feminine feel to it in comparison to CK one! :clapW2: I LOVE IT! It will go reli well with my days wearing shirts!! WOOP WOOP!!! :):D:D

• 6 months later...

Last night I sprayed some LP#9 on just for kicks and grins. I have had this same bottle for about 2 years now and the scent is still as fresh and clean as ever. My husband almost tackled me onto the bed when he got a whiff of it. He said that LP#9 was the best thing he's ever smelled and it made his mouth water for me. Hmm. I had completely forgot how good this one was. I'm off to the store to buy some in oil form today. Good stuff.

• 4 weeks later...

Was wearing a jacket for the first time since last spring and as soon as I put it on I'd catch a whiff of a familiar scent that I couldn't place. I had the jacket on for 45 minutes before realizing that it was LP#9. I had worn a lot of it around the time I needed the jacket and some had rubbed off. Whatever, it smelled really nice.

• 5 months later...

My b/f smelled this in the vial, and said he really liked it. I hadn't really tried it out though. Putting it on tonight, it is really nice... I see how it could be unisex, and even a little masculine. But I can't wait to wear it when I'm with him this weekend and see what he thinks of it ON me! I love citrus, and I love musk, and this just melds together so nicely :)

• 2 years later...

I'd like to try this at some point but I feel like starting with LP Original is the Right Order. Then again, citrus and musk works so well for me in Cougar Potion...

Donsie - I'm interested - what exactly do you mean by 'right order' So do you think CP would be similar to LP#9 as far as scent goes?

Donsie - I'm interested - what exactly do you mean by 'right order' So do you think CP would be similar to LP#9 as far as scent goes?

Ah, I just mean that I've never tried the LP Original perfume and LP #9 is a variation on that theme. So, I mean I think I ought to try the original before the variation. There's no actual reason to do it that way round except my own particularity!

I'm not sure how similar they are. I'd actually assume they're pretty different because Cougar is very much a women's scent (to my nose) and it has the sugary sweetness in there. Yes, it's got citrus in the form of pink grapefruit and it has a white musk. But, since the citrus in LP #9 isn't specifically pink grapefruit and the must isn't specifically white, not to mention it's a unisex blend, then the two perfumes could well vary a lot from one another. But I guess I mean that since the principle of citrus+musk=happy nose has worked in CP I think there's a good chance I would like they way it works in LP #9. Sorry to be confusing!

For the sake of curiosity I'll ask if anyone else here has sniffed CP and LP #9 and can say how different they are.

#9 is nothing like scented Cougar and the citrus is completely different. As far as LP Original, it's darker, richer and I find it very foody (that last bit may just be me).

#9 is pretty open as far a combining it with Pheros, IMO I don't see it with the heavier sex pheros but yes SS4W, which is a sexy/social, or pretty much anything this side of sexy social or social. I'd definitely get a couple of trials of the LP line. Gold and Pink are really good too.

Edited by StacyK