Ail's Voluptuous Vanilla

cirish77

I love vanilla in almost every single scent I've ever tried here but this one just doesn't seem to work well on me. It smells like a fake vanilla candle on my skin which is sad because everyone seems to love it so much. OCCO White, BBM, LP Red, etc. whatever the vanillas are in those, they work perfectly for me but this one I just can't do and I've tried a few times. :(

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I haven't tried that one but it sounds really good!! I'll have to get a sample of it and test it out. I had been testing sniffies of AVV and although I am ok with jumping in head first for many scents, that was one that I'm glad I hadn't gone FB. That was why I had asked in a different thread how the OCCO White compared. I figured if someone said that they thought it was super similar I might have to pass on it. Ladies to the rescue though described it enough that I felt good about ordering a FB and I'm glad I did. That one works great on me.

ETA: Do you find Stacy that the Fleur de Vanille is heavy floral? In my head just now I pictured Betrothal which is really pretty but way to floral for me. I'm thinking the vanilla cuts it but thought I would ask. :D

Edited by StoremyWhether

AVV's very different from OCCo (IMO). AVV is a thick milky, creamy tripple vanilla.

My fave is FdV. It's not as heavy as AVV but is still a great cover or scent on its own. It a lush soft vanilla, it has depth but also a sheer'ish quality at the same time. The floral aspect is really very nice and not overbearing.

It not the same scent as AVV and NO not a heavy-duty, loud floral like Betrothal. Not the same floral notes either. It's sort of vanilla orchid'ish, in my head at least.

I have never managed to find the review thread for it.

AVV's very different from OCCo (IMO). AVV is a thick milky, creamy tripple vanilla.

My fave is FdV. It's not as heavy as AVV but is still a great cover or scent on its own. It a lush soft vanilla, it has depth but also a sheer'ish quality at the same time. The floral aspect is really very nice and not overbearing.

It not the same scent as AVV and NO not a heavy-duty, loud floral like Betrothal. Not the same floral notes either. It's sort of vanilla orchid'ish, in my head at least.

The "thick milky, creamy" part is what I haven't been able to get from AVV. Chalk it up to skin chemistry. It sounds good but it just doesn't do that for me otherwise I'd probably own boatloads!! LOL

Vanilla/orchid sounds nice. Orchid seems to do well on me... definitely need a sample to try!!!

When I tried my AVV sample..I got a very vanilla, milky, multi layered vanilla. It was ok on me but, YEA I thought it would be "to dye for " but no not IMO.I do see its usefulness but I have not been inspired to get a FB.

FdV surprised me. I love it. Got my FB on my last order. I do suggest you trial it first.

Were you looking to AVV for a strong cops cover or a good layering scent? Did you ever try Lick of Cream? That's not a pure neutral, it has a shot of cardamom but it's also nice.

Edited by StacyK

I think I was just looking at AVV to be a nice vanilla scent I could wear to work. Not necessarily as a cover, maybe to layer. Something soft and sweet and unobtrusive around co-workers. I think BBM has been working out splendidly as a cover and the OCCO White as well. Although I haven't liked BBM on it's own, per se, OCCO White was more what I was looking for so I could see me using that in the way I had hoped I could use AVV.

Vanilla in Mara's creations however makes me think that I don't necessarily need a straight vanilla scent. It always seems to add the "impression" I was going for even if not in a single note. I'm thinking the orchid is what made me adore the dry down of Jouir De. I'm almost tempted to ask Mara if I could buy just a drop of orchid in a sniffie to test out my theory. I'm thinking its the orchid and vanilla combo that smells so sinfully sexy. If it is, I can see PEs with that in it in the very near future!!!

ETA: oops, forgot about Lick of Cream. No, haven't tried it but all of the notes in it have been ones that liked my skin. Note to self: add sample in next order.

Edited by StoremyWhether

You really should get samples of LOC & FdV. They are each really great on their own, and you could easily wear them to work.

From the sound of it I think you should really like FdV. I wish it was a permanent scent.

Wow if you do that PE, let me know.

Sounds great!

ETA I wonder if Dance of Passion is Jouir De'ish? It has Honey, Orchid and cops... I have to trial my sample.

Edited by StacyK

http://lovepotion.invisionzone.com/index.php?showtopic=7060&hl=fleur

ETA I wonder if Dance of Passion is Jouir De'ish? It has Honey, Orchid and cops... I have to trial my sample.

It is, somewhat. To me it's a less obscene version of Jouir de.

http://lovepotion.invisionzone.com/index.php?showtopic=7060&hl=fleur

It is, somewhat. To me it's a less obscene version of Jouir de.

OMG. If there is a less obscene version that I don't have to wait an hour to wear, I MUST try!!!

The "thick milky, creamy" part is what I haven't been able to get from AVV. Chalk it up to skin chemistry.

!!!

Me too. On my skin, AVV turns out to be rather "flat". It could be also because of my nose. I amp the florals in FdV. I love Mara's Domino and tend to go for it when I want something vanilla besides BBM.

• 2 weeks later...

OK, very interesting! I ordered this as part of my quest to find the perfect vanilla scent for me--will also be trying OCCO White, Beth's Blushing Milkmaid and Lick of Cream.

This is the first one I've tried, and I'm thinking it's not going to be The One. I get the vanilla, but the sugar is pretty dominant. In the bottle, it smelled like vanilla ice cream; on my skin, more of a cotton candy. I'll have to sit with it a bit to see if it settles; as it is, I'll probably want to layer with something else to soften the sweetness and undercut the candied aspect.

Let me hasten to add that I don't dislike it; it's just so interesting to start to figure out which note is doing what for me. I was surprised to learn (via LP Red) how much I like vanilla. And now it's interesting to learn that while I like the sweetness of it, it can be a little bit too sweet for me. Onwards!

In the bottle, it smelled like vanilla ice cream; on my skin, more of a cotton candy.

I'd die for vanilla ice cream scent on my skin, sorry it did not work for you that way. This one seems like worth trying though to see if it would turn creamier on me, not sugary. Out of the two I have: Beth's Blushing Milkmaid and A Lick of Cream, the latter is way too sweet.

I'd die for vanilla ice cream scent on my skin, sorry it did not work for you that way. This one seems like worth trying though to see if it would turn creamier on me, not sugary. Out of the two I have: Beth's Blushing Milkmaid and A Lick of Cream, the latter is way too sweet.

Oh, I'd definitely try if the idea of vanilla creaminess appeals, since it certainly seems to do that much more for others!

I also am, ahem, at that stage of the month where hormones might be wreaking havoc, so I'll definitely give this some more try outs. The smell in the bottle is quite wonderful. Also, interestingly, the person I had dinner with tonight didn't think it smelled too sugary on me at all, and really liked it.

I'll be interested to see if Lick of Cream is too sweet for me too, or if the other foodie notes make it more palatable to my nose than pure sugar. It's like being my own private science experiment! So much fun.

Now you've got me eager to try Beth's Blushing Milkmaid--sample is sitting upstairs! We'll see if I can get this one thoroughly rinsed off and make a fair test.

I'll be interested to see if Lick of Cream is too sweet for me too, or if the other foodie notes make it more palatable to my nose than pure sugar. It's like being my own private science experiment! So much fun.

Now you've got me eager to try Beth's Blushing Milkmaid--sample is sitting upstairs! We'll see if I can get this one thoroughly rinsed off and make a fair test.

I need to get some Lick of Cream to try out. I am always in search of new and different vanillas to try.

As for BBM, you do need to try it!! Unfortunately, I haven't personally liked it as much by itself but it is, for me, the ultimate creamy layer mate for other scents. For that reason alone, I will definitely be keeping a stash of it in my collection. Some scents that I was a little iffy about, BBM turned it into the most delicious scent.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

I've recently gotten two bottles of this from the trade board...I think one is the original, and one is the re-brew. I LOVE them both! The original is much heavier and creamier, while the re-brew is a little lighter. They are both pure vanilla though, and great for layering. I think I might still love OCCO white just a teensy bit better, but AVV is a great alternative to avoid the cops. I think I'm one of the few here who is not crazy over Lick of Cream - on me it is so light and tends to just disappear pretty quickly. So I definitely prefer AVV. One of my favorite uses is to layer with TMI and Caramel Musk, since I really like the scent of these but they go a bit sharp. The creamy vanilla rounds it out and makes it perfect!

• 2 weeks later...

Sooo, I've had this for a really long time but never used it. It's vanilla but with an anise backdrop. It smells similar to darling clementine, they have something in common, it's cake-y too. I'm failing a bit to really described this beyond that. It's not a keeper for me really.

• 4 months later...

During February of 2014 I was able to test a sample of Ali’s Voluptuous Vanilla. It smelled really good in the bottle. I got a lot of vanilla and sugar on my skin. It bordered on almost being too sweet, but never tipped over into too sweet. After a few hours it dried down into a musky skin scent on me. There was a hint of vanilla and sweetness, but it was very close to my skin. After it got old (maybe 6 hours) it started to smell like powdered lady parts. :) It was quite pungent and others commented on this as well. I allowed my mom to test this and it did not morph that way on her. It stayed a delicious vanilla on her.