Lost Highway

Pony

AD-LostHwy_.jpg

Lost Highway

A spooky sweet-tooth mix of carrot cake frosted with thick buttercream, the warmth of milky honey and beeswax musk, with haunting notes of carnation EO and light resins.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Magickal Meanings of Ingredients:
CARROT ~ Lust, fertility.
BEESWAX and HONEY ~ Enticing, seductive; use to bewitch a straying or hesitant lover, happiness, fulfillment.
MUSK ~ Self-confidence and strength, sexual attractant, heightens passions and arousal.
CARNATION ~ Power, energy, protection, fascination, admiration.
BUTTER/CREAM ~ Nurturing, soothing, eases troubled relationships, Goddess energy.
RESINS ~ Sensual, sexually stimulating, lust, fertility, money.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Ok, so Miss Muffett drove past the crossroads on her way back home from said bakery, and there was the Walking Man. Well, what can one do when one meets the devil at the crossroads but invite him back to her Airstream.

So as Walking Man stumbles up the stairs to the aforementioned Airstream, cigarette in mouth, he accidently smears buttercream frosting on the head of the Phantom (of the Trailer Park), who has passed out in the old fashioned carnations her granny grows in big plastic planters on the rickety stairs.

That's Lost Highway for me. Phantom of the Trailer Park meets Walking Man. Yeah, I know. But that's what it evokes for me. I absolutely adore it!

I think I'm getting lost in Lost Highway, this stuff is just SO good. :D It's exactly what the description says; already fattening carrot cake slathered in buttercream and drenched in honey but still not the least bit cloying, just delicious. Thankfully I don't really get carnation, so whatever it happens to be doing there it's behaving. As it dries down further I'm overjoyed to get teh ebil resins in the background which give the cake a sinister punch. In a word: awesome. If this is anything like the fabled Potion 31 is supposed to be, I can rest in peace.

Edited by Invidiana

I love love love Lost Highway. It's my favorite this month I think. The carrot cake is luscious as is the buttercream. The milky honey beeswax is heaven for me. The carnation is so wonderful, truly my favorite floral. And I think I get some amber on drydown. But the thing with this one that really gets me is that I can smell all of those things seperately AND as a whole. The blending on this is astounding and masterful. I could bathe in this one. NOM NOM NOM

This starts off as very yummy carrot cake on me and does remind me a bit of Potion 31, but the carnation helps it develop later on into a somewhat more sophisticated take on that type of combination. It becomes mysterious and kind of smoky, almost. So it is definitely a journey from the sweet familiarity of a gourmand into the unknown of...something else. *cue evil laugh*

Edited by luna65

Oh dear... I read the description for this one & then re-read it...I was that sure I had gotten the description of what I applied mixed up with some other scent...

I get no carrot cake or buttercream at all during any of the phases of this one...

I was very tempted to get a bottle unsniffed of this because it was desribed as a yummy foody scent, but I hesitated because of the carnation. I tend to amp carnation to the point where it kills any other notes, and it's a really sharp/strong scent on me that sometimes even gives me headaches because it's so overpowering.

When I first applied it, I thought it was one of the scents that had some kind of smokey component to it and possibly a touch of cirtus/dill/pepper etc...because what I got was smoked salmon! :) Now don't get me wrong, I didn't smell of fish, just a lot like what smoked/cured salmon smells like. Very odd! I have no idea where those notes could have come from!

"A spooky sweet toothed mix of carrot cake frosted with thick buttercream, the warmth of milky honey & beeswax musk, with haunting notes of carnation EO & light resins"

As it dries down, whatever note it is that makes me think of smoked salmon fades & disappears. What I'm left with is a touch of spice (not sure if that's the carnation alone or possibly carrot cake spices?) ontop of a honey/beeswax scent. Funnily enough though this honey doesn't turn into horrible plastic play-dooh on me. It actually does smell like real sugary honey & beeswax!

Very odd...I'm not sure what to make of this one :)

Oh dear... I read the description for this one & then re-read it...I was that sure I had gotten the description of what I applied mixed up with some other scent...

I get no carrot cake or buttercream at all during any of the phases of this one...

I was very tempted to get a bottle unsniffed of this because it was desribed as a yummy foody scent, but I hesitated because of the carnation. I tend to amp carnation to the point where it kills any other notes, and it's a really sharp/strong scent on me that sometimes even gives me headaches because it's so overpowering.

When I first applied it, I thought it was one of the scents that had some kind of smokey component to it and possibly a touch of cirtus/dill/pepper etc...because what I got was smoked salmon! :) Now don't get me wrong, I didn't smell of fish, just a lot like what smoked/cured salmon smells like. Very odd! I have no idea where those notes could have come from!

"A spooky sweet toothed mix of carrot cake frosted with thick buttercream, the warmth of milky honey & beeswax musk, with haunting notes of carnation EO & light resins"

As it dries down, whatever note it is that makes me think of smoked salmon fades & disappears. What I'm left with is a touch of spice (not sure if that's the carnation alone or possibly carrot cake spices?) ontop of a honey/beeswax scent. Funnily enough though this honey doesn't turn into horrible plastic play-dooh on me. It actually does smell like real sugary honey & beeswax!

Very odd...I'm not sure what to make of this one :)

Oh my, I am not sure I would enjoy smelling of smoked salmon even if it was just the smoked part!

Whew what a relief - at least I am not the only person who gets a definite cigarette smoke out of this. Not tobacco scent, but plain old cigarette smoke. Very faint and in the background, which is why it reminds me so much of Phantom of the Trailer Park. That and the old-fashioned florl (Phantom had lilac, this has carnation).

I really adore this one, though, stinky smoke breath and all.

This after dry down smells to me a lot like and this is odd, but Fruit Loops cereal but with frosting. I really enjoy it though and have gone through half the bottle already, a smokey Fruit Loop though, that is what my skin chemistry is doing to it.

• 4 weeks later...

weee I was a little scared to try this because I was afraid that the smoke might give me a headache but it doesn't seem too bad! it's really interesting and yes I do get the froot loops with frosting! but more mysterious...... lol I really like this and may need a bottle

• 1 month later...
Guest icing

Has anyone recieved any comments (positive or negative) while wearing this one?

Most of the notes sound really, really good to me, but the name alone is a major temptation!

Has anyone recieved any comments (positive or negative) while wearing this one?

Most of the notes sound really, really good to me, but the name alone is a major temptation!

I always get compliments while wearing this one. On me it is more carrot cake, icing and then the creamy honey musk than the other notes.

I always get compliments while wearing this one. On me it is more carrot cake, icing and then the creamy honey musk than the other notes.

Sounds delicious!

Guest icing

Wet, this is initially orange candy, vanilla, and spiced brown sugar... as it dries it turns into a molasses brown sugar smell (with maybe a tinge of something haylike), that... isn't quite as heavy as it sounds. I can't stop sniffing it (I could do without the hay bit, but I'm hooked on this scent).

I also ran into my dad the other day, and he's a scent-freak, so he gave a sniff test, and thought it was really nice.

• 6 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

This smells just like carrot cake with frosting and everything! Something in it turns on my skin though...like oranges...but I don't think this has oranges in it. Maybe carrots do the same thing. And I guess carnations go good with cake? Evil in Carnation reminds me of cake frosting and this has carnation in it too. This would be yummy if it didn't have that orangey smell on me. :666:

This is HEAVY HONEY on me... Not really my type of scent :S

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

I'm glad I'm not the only person who got a citrus note from this. Because my first thought was "Ooh lemon shortbread. Wait. Whut? There's no lemon in this." So yes I get the cake and the grounding of resins underneath. But I think the carnation and honey is what it making this citrusy on me.

Smells lovely though. Already got my first "You smell good today."

ETA: And now it's soap. Sad face.

Edited by skye

• 4 weeks later...

I love this scent, I am getting very sweet fruit loops in the beginning (yum!) and I can pick out the buttercream and carrot cake with the resins in the background. A perfect composition!

• 1 year later...
  • 10 months later...

OK, I bought a full bottle of this unsniffed, based on the reviews here, and I am so thrilled with it! When it goes on, I get gorgeous cakey goodness--I can pick out the carrots, the beeswax and honey, and the creamy butter. As it dries, though, the carnation emerges, and it's just the most lovely spicy floral aroma. I wore this to work for my retail job, where I'm on my feet and in motion for most of the day, and I kept having the delightful experience of turning around and bumping into a subtle cloud of scent--this one really lasts throughout the day. This was lovely as a foodie smell initially, and then it's quite a bit less foodie. A winner for work, not least because it had a definite mood elevation effect. I need to be careful with LPs at work--most of the scents I'm drawn to are not appropriate for those settings (retail and academia), so I'm really glad to have found this. It seemed as if people were a bit nicer than usual--not sure if that's the effect of the scent on them, or just the result of my warmer, brighter mood, but I'll take it. I might need to get another bottle of this while supplies last.

• 2 months later...

This one is a hidden gem for me! I only have a sniffie and think I could use some more. Smelling it directly and when I first applied it reminded me of a road-side diner smell! Which started as a bit of a turn off, but wanted to see how it would dry down. Likely the diner = carrot amping, I also had a hint of smoke or something but it faded away. As it dried down the beeswax and honey melded with the cake and creamy butter, with a bit of the carnation. Yum. It's delicious smelling and feminine all together.

• 1 year later...

This scent is vexing me! I thought it was too sweet and kind of "meh" at first. Then I started to wonder what was in it, so I looked up the notes, which may have influenced my opinion in a way because...I don't like carrot cake. I mean, it's not like I'd turn it down if someone put a slice in front of me--it is cake after all--but it's just not something I would purposely seek out. But with my newfound love of cakey scents, I thought I might like it anyway. But the "carrot cake" thing turned me off. A little. I mean it definitely doesn't smell bad or anything.

So a little while later, I smelled something delightful, and I don't know what else it could have been except for me! Then I fell asleep because I was taking a nap. It had pretty much worn off by now (the end of the day--it did last pretty well), so I put some more on so that I could attempt to review it. Now I'm noticing the spiciness mingled with the sweetness, and it's quite pretty. I'm still a little hesitant with the whole "carrot cake" idea, but I think I might actually like it. I'm going to have to test it again in the future to be sure.

• 2 months later...
  • 4 years later...

I am working from home now a little bit more, so I’ve been testing old LPs since I don’t have to smell “work appropriate”.  Lost Highway is really interesting- it definitely smells sweet out of the vial but there’s this almost dark or dusty note that I can’t quite place. Maybe the musk? That note fades over time on my skin, and it dries down into this delicious spicy creamy cake.  It reminds me a little bit of Warm and Toasty, but more cakey and a little bit less buttery/bready, not too sweet. Like carrot cake but with a mild cream cheese frosting, not the super sweet buttercream.