Love Potion: Winter Solstice

Dolly

Site Description: Notes: Vanilla, Creamy Butter, Tunisian Amber and Patchouli Resins, and sweet Winter Preserves.

OK.....this one is very nice......liking it very much. On initial application, it smelled almost identical to Autumnal Equinox (which I love)......after it starts to dry, however, it starts to differentiate itself.....very warm, and VERY buttery. As it dries down more, I get the sweetness starting to come through, and a hint of the resinous notes in the background. I am sooooooo glad to have gotten a full bottle of this one..... :)

Hiya Ladies. :)

How similar is it, do you think, to Autumn Equinox?

:) Ta!

May

Well, Miss May, to fully address your question, I just went and applied Autumn to the back of my left hand, and Winter on the right.

On me, they smell VERY similar (almost identical) upon first application. BUT, after just a few minutes, they start to differentiate. At about the same time when I smell pumpkin & spice on the Autumn side, I smell butter and lightly sweetened fruit from the Winter side....also something that smells almost like cake.....very light though.....not heavy at all.....once they dry down, I find the two to be quite different.....VERY NICE!!!

Hope that answers your question! :)

All of the LP varieties share the same recipe at its base.

Winter 08 has a TON of butter in it, as well as the scent of winter preserves / candied fruits.

Autumn has pumpkin, fig, dried leaves and a hint of spice.

Personally, I LOOOOOOVE every LP variety that I have tried...... :) You should change your name to "Love Potion Addictive Perfumerie".....

All of the LP varieties share the same recipe at its base.

Winter 08 has a TON of butter in it, as well as the scent of winter preserves / candied fruits.

Autumn has pumpkin, fig, dried leaves and a hint of spice.

Thanks for this Ladies! :) Autumn and I did not get on too well (odd I know) I was interested to see if this was very similar I think it was the leaves and spices that might have morphed out on me.

Only one way to find out about for sure about Winter though! :)

May

Thanks for this Ladies! :) Autumn and I did not get on too well (odd I know) I was interested to see if this was very similar I think it was the leaves and spices that might have morphed out on me.

Only one way to find out about for sure about Winter though! :)

May

Yeah, I would think that if they all have the same base, your main problem would be those "autumn notes".....and you haven't had any problem with any of the other LP varieties like Red, Black, etc, have you?

Buy a trial size.....I really think you'll like it..... :)

Edited by Dolly

I smell butter and lightly sweetened fruit from the Winter side....also something that smells almost like cake.....very light though.....not heavy at all.....

Now, I don't have any Autumnal Equinox to which to compare the two...

I definitely smell the "butter and lightly sweetened fruit" that Dolly mentions, all in a cake batter base. This is a very nice and cozy scent!

Now, I don't have any Autumnal Equinox to which to compare the two...

I definitely smell the "butter and lightly sweetened fruit" that Dolly mentions, all in a cake batter base. This is a very nice and cozy scent!

Isn't it absolutely yummy?

• 2 weeks later...

I'm wearing this one today, and it seems that each time I wear it, when the fruity notes start to come forth, they are stronger and more prominent. Not overwhelmingly strong, but just more in balance with the buttery notes.

• 6 months later...

I am definitely loving this fragrance. The creamy butter scent at first comes out almost like vanilla frosting. It is a very comforting scent. Whenever I dub on my sample, I feel like I'm getting a hug. As if a loving partner is putting their arms around you in the kitchen while you're cooking dinner.

I got a full bottle as a trade but this one went totally rancid on me. I think it's because it had amber, and my skin hates ambers and resins.

So I gave it to my mom, it smells incredibly yummy on her though *sigh*, my dad couldn't keep his hands of her O.o

lol, Dolly added some eow for me (maybe that's why) lol!

I got a full bottle as a trade but this one went totally rancid on me. I think it's because it had amber, and my skin hates ambers and resins.

So I gave it to my mom, it smells incredibly yummy on her though *sigh*, my dad couldn't keep his hands of her O.o

lol, Dolly added some eow for me (maybe that's why) lol!

That's a shame that it didn't work for you Esme....I didn't get strong amber with that one at all....

But at least your Mom (and Dad) can have some fun with it!!

That's a shame that it didn't work for you Esme....I didn't get strong amber with that one at all....

But at least your Mom (and Dad) can have some fun with it!!

I know, I felt sad about it too but hmph! sometimes I hate my skin chemistry!

But on my mom it smells like a buttery batter, dried/preservatives fruits, and resins in the background. It's pretty dark to me in a good way though. And a little goes a long way! When I'm around her it makes me think of mom making fruit cake for christmas, it's a wonderful feeling.

And wow! I couldn't smell the eow at all dolly! what is your magical secret?! (jking!)

Mom wore it today evening before she went out for dinner with dad ... lol, he seemed prettay frisky lol

Edited by esmeralda

Wanted to add that I LOVE this one, it's definitely one of my favorites! It has a very similar feel to Autumn Equinox but is a different scent. I love both of them! They are rich, warm, sweet, and don't turn plasticky at all on my skin. Great whenever I want to feel warm and cozy.

• 1 month later...
I was very excited to try this one. In the bottle, it smelled luscious. Once I applied it, however, I smelled like a "My Little Pony." I definately had a strong kids toy plastic undertone. Soo sadd.

Hmm I have always enjoyed this one and am going to test it out tonight to see if i get the pony scent :thbf54f4bf:

I was very excited to try this one. In the bottle, it smelled luscious. Once I applied it, however, I smelled like a "My Little Pony." I definately had a strong kids toy plastic undertone. Soo sadd.

My skin chemistry does weird things to certain scents (not this particular one though). If you like it in the bottle, buy a scent locket.....solves the wonky skin chemistry issues.

After wearing it last night I can see how a "my little pony" smell could come out. I could smell it under all the other yummy scent notes. I think it is actually one of the notes in LP winter solstice that normally works well with the others but for some reaon your skin just amps that particular note SB. Sorry to hear that but Id try Dolly's scent locket idea :thbf54f4bf:

I had it do that to me as well (it's kind of what happens to me with LP Black alone), I figured it was probably the butter/cream accord, I rarely do well with those; but I'm going to try it again at some point, maybe in a layering experiment.

I put this on last night over Blatant Invitation. I wanted to see how well it worked as a cover. Awesome! I love this sweet fragrance.

It's sooo funny! What smell eww on you, smells great on me and vice versa. This is why exchanges work so well between us. :frown:

• 1 month later...

This is divine! Luscious vanilla, creamy on me not so much buttery. It's very similar on me to original LP, but with a creamier aroma that brings out the vanilla a lot more for some reason. The sweet winter preserves are subtle and add a hint of complexity - sweetness in the background that mixes wonderfully with the creamy vanilla without ever taking over.

I adore this one. Perhaps my favorite of the LPs I've tried, though I also do love summer solstice and have black and red sample on the way :)

• 1 month later...

I tried this again and while it smells yummy in the vial, the fruit kinda freaks me out, I guess. Eventually it settles down but it disappears on me, mostly. I think I'd have to go the scent locket route with this one because it doesn't seem to like me.

I tried this again and while it smells yummy in the vial, the fruit kinda freaks me out, I guess. Eventually it settles down but it disappears on me, mostly. I think I'd have to go the scent locket route with this one because it doesn't seem to like me.

It's so sad when we love a scent but it doesn't meld well with our chemistry, isn't it? This one, for some reason works wonderfully for me, though it doesn't last as long as I'd like. Probably 3 hours but for me it's a bedtime soothing scent so I don't mind that. I expect different things from daytime vs bedtime scents.

If the fruit doesn't work for you, maybe something creamy with the love potion key notes minus the fruit might work better for you. Something that has some staying power on you, too. I'm thinking a custom sugared blend might be something that would work well for you. Can you identify what scents you like about this one the most and put them together into a custom sugared?

Well, the LP varients are usually 50/50 on me, so there's always something else to love. Although I might try layering this one with Red, like I do with Black, because it seems Red has a special power to make unruly smellies behave, lol.

• 4 weeks later...

while i do love patchouli and amber, i didn't have high hopes for this one 'cause it sounded too sweet and foody.

and it is sweet and foody.

but...i still love it.

the patchouli makes it a sweet, foody smell i can get down with, and somehow it reminds me of a comforting cup of hot cocoa, and i'm cool with that on a cold winter day.

it's a nice scent for snuggling under blankets with someone you love, or just with your kitties nad a good book.

• 4 weeks later...

There's patchouli resin in this? I wouldn't have known. I get the candied fruits more than anything and they're tinged with vanilla. Of those candied fruits, I get lemon and apple. Also something like a light pastry note, which may be the butter. Quite sweet, nice in and of itself, but a sample is enough for me. The sweetness gives me a bit of a headache the way LP Black does.

Oooh, it sounds like Sad Tomato is talking about Winter Solstice 2009, with notes of hot cocoa, walnut and woods. While Nightlife is talking about version 2008, with butter and winter fruit preserves.

And yup, they both have patchouli. The LP variants all have the same basic recipe ingredients, with other stuff swirled into the cauldron according to season or the creator's whim!

• 9 months later...

Took a little time to find this thread since it didn't say "08" on it, haha...this is delicious. Very buttery at first, and settles down to a creamy resinous vanilla blend with a fruity background that's warm and comforting. It's not very patchouli at all, even though patchouli is listed in the notes, just rich syrupy goodness :D

• 1 year later...

LP Winter Solstice '08: extremely buttery in the vial, but the second it touches my skin, the sugary fruitiness of the winter preserves starts taking over.

This is obviously quite sweet and foody, but it never turns cloying. As it dries down, the resins make their presence known, and it eventually mellows into a sweet creamy scent that's as cozy as a favourite sweater. Perfect for a dreary rainy day like today!

• 1 year later...
  • 11 months later...

This is a dream wet and in the middle drydown : all the golden thick nearly opaque honey dream of lp o PLUS BUTTER and a big dab of raspberry jam. Very grateful Mcr was kind enough to send along this bottle to me!