Robin & Marian

Dolly

OK, so I tried this one also today, and while it was nice, it just wasn't my cup of tea.....BUT I know that there are a lot of you ladies who are going to SWOON over it.

I get the spicy resins and a touch of musk in the background....In the forefront, it is heavy, thick, and rich, with a heavy floral note. BUT, not a modern floral.....this is definitely a floral of antiquity.....very thick, heady, and sweet. A bit too much floral for my tastes, though.....

Once it dries down, it mellows, but it takes quite a while for it to do so.....it is very long-lasting, too.....I am sure that there will be a lot of you who get hooked on this one..... :)

OK, so I tried this one also today, and while it was nice, it just wasn't my cup of tea.....BUT I know that there are a lot of you ladies who are going to SWOON over it.

I get the spicy resins and a touch of musk in the background....In the forefront, it is heavy, thick, and rich, with a heavy floral note. BUT, not a modern floral.....this is definitely a floral of antiquity.....very thick, heady, and sweet. A bit too much floral for my tastes, though.....

Once it dries down, it mellows, but it takes quite a while for it to do so.....it is very long-lasting, too.....I am sure that there will be a lot of you who get hooked on this one..... :)

This is also on my "must-try" list. I think it is the one that Mara said has a similar base to Bastet? Do you think I will like it Dolly? Our tastes seem mostly, but not totally, similar.

May

I wore this one yesterday and I'm wearing it again today.

On me, I barely get any floral - it's layers of the different musky notes, one atop the other, with a hint of a woody floral in the background.

I think what Dolly is perceiving as the "floral of antiquity" is actually the scent of Ambergris in the mix.

Yes, May. I think you would like this one. It's a bold scent and I expect that those who like Bastet will enjoy this one as well.

This is also on my "must-try" list. I think it is the one that Mara said has a similar base to Bastet? Do you think I will like it Dolly? Our tastes seem mostly, but not totally, similar.

May

I never got to try Bastet......BUT this one, to me, has a feel of "antiquity" to it.....I think that you said you like strong perfumes.....this is strong. The floral is BIG when I first put it on.....BUT I will say that this is not a floral that turned funky on me, either. The floral stayed true. After drydown, the floral settles into the background (but is ever-present), and the spicy resin and muskiness comes through more. I liked it best after it dried down.

I think you should try a sample.....you and I both like dark, deep, and resinous, but I think you also like the BIG BOLD scents.....this one might be right up your alley......

I never got to try Bastet......BUT this one, to me, has a feel of "antiquity" to it.....I think that you said you like strong perfumes.....this is strong. The floral is BIG when I first put it on.....BUT I will say that this is not a floral that turned funky on me, either. The floral stayed true. After drydown, the floral settles into the background (but is ever-present), and the spicy resin and muskiness comes through more. I liked it best after it dried down.

I think you should try a sample.....you and I both like dark, deep, and resinous, but I think you also like the BIG BOLD scents.....this one might be right up your alley......

Yup it's true - I love a BIG fragrance... hell, I even still wear that 80s mainstay Opium and as someone said you could cover the funk of a cow byre with that one. :)

I like it Big, Bolshie and Bodacious.. :) Funnily enough I think I like my men the same way!

May

Yup it's true - I love a BIG fragrance... hell, I even still wear that 80s mainstay Opium and as someone said you could cover the funk of a cow byre with that one. :)

I like it Big, Bolshie and Bodacious.. :) Funnily enough I think I like my men the same way!

May

Oh, so you are one who likes for your perfume to enter the room before you do? :)

This is a big fragrance, and FABULOUSLY done......it is a nice scent.....but just a little too powerful for my personal tastes.....I think you will really love it.....

Oh, so you are one who likes for your perfume to enter the room before you do? :)

This is a big fragrance, and FABULOUSLY done......it is a nice scent.....but just a little too powerful for my personal tastes.....I think you will really love it.....

I like it to enter the room before me, AND stay in the room as a reminder when I have left!

:)

Big, bad Mae :)

I like it to enter the room before me, AND stay in the room as a reminder when I have left!

:)

Big, bad Mae :)

This has your name written all over it, then.... :) I think I'm going to dilute mine and use it as a room scent....

I wore this one yesterday and I'm wearing it again today.

On me, I barely get any floral - it's layers of the different musky notes, one atop the other, with a hint of a woody floral in the background.

I think what Dolly is perceiving as the "floral of antiquity" is actually the scent of Ambergris in the mix.

Yes, May. I think you would like this one. It's a bold scent and I expect that those who like Bastet will enjoy this one as well.

Same with me... the florals aren't overly present, just wonderfully and pleasantly in the background and the musk layers beautifully on my skin. My Beloved says this may well be his new favorite and he found it to be incredibly sexy.... so it is definitely a must-procure in the big bottle size for me!

Mara, I seem to be having a tad bit of trouble with my paypal; are there alternative forms of providing payment (i.e., emailing payment info)? I really don't want to miss out on my desired scents in full-bottle size while I go about getting the paypal issue fixed.

Mara, I seem to be having a tad bit of trouble with my paypal; are there alternative forms of providing payment (i.e., emailing payment info)? I really don't want to miss out on my desired scents in full-bottle size while I go about getting the paypal issue fixed.

I noticed PayPal had an emergency maintance outage last night. Could perhaps be fixed by now. (Ahhh, Mercury retrograde.) The easiest thing is if you just send me a note listing what you want and I'll reserve the bottles for you - I can send a PayPal invoice that you can pay when the issue is resolved. Other than that, we only accept Money Orders at this time.

Wow, this is SO not floral on me! I was going to say it's almost a touch masculine (which is FINE by me, I wore Guerlain's Vetyver and other men's fragrances in the past). I get bold, and herbal, and resinous. Lovely scent I wish my guy might try, too. Gonna have to see how the dry-down develops

So, Dolly... I have that New Year's Evil... and I also procured a vial of Messalina from another site for you (when I got the Sandman... BTW,do you want that one?). I should make it to the post office either today after school or tomorrow. And, My Beloved LOVED this scent on me (I've already ordered a full bottle, but I'll take the sample off your hands if you wish).

So, Dolly... I have that New Year's Evil... and I also procured a vial of Messalina from another site for you (when I got the Sandman... BTW,do you want that one?). I should make it to the post office either today after school or tomorrow. And, My Beloved LOVED this scent on me (I've already ordered a full bottle, but I'll take the sample off your hands if you wish).

You are such a dear!!!! :) I looooooooove Messalina, and will definitely take that one of your hands!

As far as Sandman is concerned, you keep that for Jacob, since you know it works for him.....I got two donated samples from some other members here....and, since I only use a little at a time, they will last me a while......

Sure, I'll send you my Robin & Marian! How would you like to try Heartland? Or Mummy Stuffing, or any others......let me know, cause I just may have something else you may like to try....

BTW, totally off topic.....how is the soap working for young Jacob?

BTW, totally off topic.....how is the soap working for young Jacob?

The soap is working so well! Which is a good thing too because the poor guy's hormones have gone into overdrive.. in fact, for his Bar Mitzvah we had to go make an emergency new suit purchase because he outgrew the one we bought last week! His skin has reflected this increase in activity... without the soap, I think he would be a MESS! With it, his skin is relatively acne free... a fact for which he LOVES YOU :)

The soap is working so well! Which is a good thing too because the poor guy's hormones have gone into overdrive.. in fact, for his Bar Mitzvah we had to go make an emergency new suit purchase because he outgrew the one we bought last week! His skin has reflected this increase in activity... without the soap, I think he would be a MESS! With it, his skin is relatively acne free... a fact for which he LOVES YOU :)

I am so glad! I will let you know when I re-batch.....I am getting ready to do so in the next few weeks, because that is the only soap that helps my 9 year old's eczema....

I am so glad! I will let you know when I re-batch.....I am getting ready to do so in the next few weeks, because that is the only soap that helps my 9 year old's eczema....

Sorry ladies I missed this thread. What soap? I heard Goat's Milk soap was good, but is this something different? I don't have eczema but do get freaked-out skin, sore, itchy and peeling, from some products sometimes.

May

Sorry ladies I missed this thread. What soap? I heard Goat's Milk soap was good, but is this something different? I don't have eczema but do get freaked-out skin, sore, itchy and peeling, from some products sometimes.

May

I make a wonderful honey glycerin soap.....made with all natural and organic ingredients. It is good for dry skin as well as a wonderful treatment for acne. Would you like for me to send you a bar when I send the lotion bar that I promised you? I will be making a batch of both at about the same time......

My daughters skin is so dry it’s AWFUL! I’ve tried every type of lotion I know and it still itches her so badly that she scratches herself raw. How much is your soap and would it help with SUPER severe dry skin??

Split Pea Soup!

Pixie

I make a wonderful honey glycerin soap.....made with all natural and organic ingredients. It is good for dry skin as well as a wonderful treatment for acne. Would you like for me to send you a bar when I send the lotion bar that I promised you? I will be making a batch of both at about the same time......

Oh yes please Dolly, that would be so kind... But you must let me reimburse you!

May

My daughters skin is so dry it's AWFUL! I've tried every type of lotion I know and it still itches her so badly that she scratches herself raw. How much is your soap and would it help with SUPER severe dry skin??

Split Pea Soup!

Pixie

I charge my friends and family my cost which is about $4 for a good-sized bar. It is the only soap that my son can use.....he has severe eczema, and everything else dries him out too bad.

In addition, most artificial chemicals make his worse (I can't wash his clothes with any dyes or scents). So, when I need to use an extra moisturizer on him, I use pure shea butter. It heals the dry skin rather than simply adding moisture.

I'll be making another batch of soap within the next few weeks......I'll make an announcement in the forum, and anybody who is interested can let me know.

If you'd like to try some shea butter on her, I would recommend the unrefined. It has an odd smell that takes some getting used to, but since it has no refining, all of the vitamins and minerals remain intact, and it helps the dry skin to heal better. The best source for unrefined butter that I have found is http://www.alaffia.com/, and TRUST ME, I have used a LOT. I used to re-sell a lot of it.

If you can't stand the smell, you can try refined butter, but it is not as good. I do use refined in my lotion bars, but they have other ingredients also. For refined butter, I go to http://www.organic-creations.com . Her refined butter is good, but for unrefined I prefer alaffia.

Can you tell that I have dealt with a lot of skin issues? :) My son and I are both sufferers with hyper-reactive skin. :)

Edited by Dolly

Thanks Dolly! I'll keep an eye out for your post on the soap! I'm sorry to hear about you and your son's hyper reactive skin but I am thankful for the all the expert information. Bless your heart! I'll have to wait till mid to late February before I get anything because the power bill is gonna have to take precedence! Until then I have some body butter from the body shop that is doing so-so but I am really gonna get some of that unrefined butter, stinky or not she's got pirate bumbo of her own to cover it up! Lol besides I don't think eight year old's are going to complain! Thanks again!!

Fire whisky!

Pixie

Thanks Dolly! I'll keep an eye out for your post on the soap! I'm sorry to hear about you and your son's hyper reactive skin but I am thankful for the all the expert information. Bless your heart! I'll have to wait till mid to late February before I get anything because the power bill is gonna have to take precedence! Until then I have some body butter from the body shop that is doing so-so but I am really gonna get some of that unrefined butter, stinky or not she's got pirate bumbo of her own to cover it up! Lol besides I don't think eight year old's are going to complain! Thanks again!!

Fire whisky!

Pixie

I can't stand to see kids suffer.....tell you what.....I have a great big jar of the Alaffia butter (I used to buy it in bulk from the manufacturer (Agbanga Karite)), and if Mara will exchange our emails, I'll send you some to try. It doesn't take much to do the job, and I can spare enough to last you until you can swing it.

Holy crap that is probably the nicest thing any one has ever posted to me! I really appreciate what you’re saying and doing, I just really feel weird about favors. Now looking back at my post I do see that it is, (honest as it may be) a bit "woe is me". I will buy some shea butter as soon as I can, and she is doing fine with just the body butter for now. She’s not in any type of pain if she was I would remedy it immediately, any way I could. We just put it on every chance we get and it gives us a little more one on one time. However your kindness has totally blown me away, I just can’t believe it! I would like to send you something, can I send you a sample possibly? I have bunches and I absolutely adore you now, is there any one that you’re interested in? I know that LP Gold is now sold out and I have a large vial full that’s just one idea, tell me and I could fix it up you!

Turkey and Stuffing

Pixie

Holy crap that is probably the nicest thing any one has ever posted to me! I really appreciate what you're saying and doing, I just really feel weird about favors. Now looking back at my post I do see that it is, (honest as it may be) a bit "woe is me". I will buy some shea butter as soon as I can, and she is doing fine with just the body butter for now. She's not in any type of pain if she was I would remedy it immediately, any way I could. We just put it on every chance we get and it gives us a little more one on one time. However your kindness has totally blown me away, I just can't believe it! I would like to send you something, can I send you a sample possibly? I have bunches and I absolutely adore you now, is there any one that you're interested in? I know that LP Gold is now sold out and I have a large vial full that's just one idea, tell me and I could fix it up you!

Turkey and Stuffing

Pixie

That's very thoughtful of you Pixie, but really not necessary. I just like to be helpful to people when I can, because I am a firm believer of the saying that what you do will come back to you threefold, sooner or later. That is why, for instance, when I worked for the govt, I never put my name on the Christmas gifts that I left for our clerks. They were overworked, underpaid, and covered all of our butts on all of the administrative crap we had to do.....I wanted them to know that they were appreciated, but it wasn't necessary to get their thanks, and I didn't want them to feel the need to reciprocate with gifts.

I really would like to send you some shea.....I know what it is like to have the skin issues, and your daughter may be like my son......even though he doesn't complain, it can be miserale sometimes.

Tell you what.....I'll email Mara and ask her to give you my email address.....if you change your mind, let me know.... :)

(RE: Dolly): the nicest thing .... However your kindness has totally blown me away, I just can't believe it! ... and I absolutely adore you now

And that is the type of person Dolly has shown herself to be, to me, as well!

It is a very wonderful thing that we have this forum, where we can support each other not only in our LOVE (i.e., addiction) to LP scents but also where we can support each other in other ways (emotionally, spiritually). Mara and Danna have done an incredible job of creating a welcoming, caring, loving venue for us to "gather"... and we, as members, have done an incredible job of sharing of ourselves, our thoughts, and our knowledge. Thank you!

And, for the record, my son adores Dolly too! :) Yay, honey soap and its acne-fighting properties!

It is a very wonderful thing that we have this forum, where we can support each other not only in our LOVE (i.e., addiction) to LP scents but also where we can support each other in other ways (emotionally, spiritually). Mara and Danna have done an incredible job of creating a welcoming, caring, loving venue for us to "gather"... and we, as members, have done an incredible job of sharing of ourselves, our thoughts, and our knowledge. Thank you!

And, for the record, my son adores Dolly too! :) Yay, honey soap and its acne-fighting properties!

Chai, I sent you an email yesterday......let me know if you didn't receive it, and I'll re-send.....

Chai, I sent you an email yesterday......let me know if you didn't receive it, and I'll re-send.....

I had to leave work yesterday because Jacob became ill... so I didn't get a chance to check email there yesterday.. and we were off again today because he is feeling so badly! I truly need to figure out what it is that is causing the health issues in the home. Sigh.

Robin and Marian

I can defintely see the similarities between this and Potion Bastet. Wet - for just a couple of seconds - it has a strange chemical edge but that evaporates in seconds to a very rich and deep fragrance.

Like PB this smells EXPENSIVE - like very wealthy ladies in designer clothes wafting through the floors of Harrods. It's deep, it's bold and it is very elegant.

I think I need to have some of this one.

I know there are some PB lovers out there so I am going to do a side by side comparison of the two and see how similar or different they are.

Best

May

I know there are some PB lovers out there so I am going to do a side by side comparison of the two and see how similar or different they are.

Best

May

May, I would love to hear about your comparison. Unfortunately, I missed out on PB but fell in love with the description. My Beloved absolutely loves Robin and Marian, though, and I *really* enjoyed wearing it for him this weekend :blink:

May, I would love to hear about your comparison. Unfortunately, I missed out on PB but fell in love with the description. My Beloved absolutely loves Robin and Marian, though, and I *really* enjoyed wearing it for him this weekend :blink:

Pssssst.....hey Chai.....will be sending off my sample of R & M to you tomorrow (since the PO is closed today).....along with the others we discussed...... :o

May, I would love to hear about your comparison. Unfortunately, I missed out on PB but fell in love with the description. My Beloved absolutely loves Robin and Marian, though, and I *really* enjoyed wearing it for him this weekend :)

Well, I've got both on - and had both on for a couple of hours.

They are very similar - you can easily tell they share ingredients but there are some differences. With the caveat that my skin can "eat" some notes and that I am not a perfumier and able to pick out every note here is my best stab at explaining it.

R & M has a slightly sharper or crisper edge to the back and at the heart of it. It's a little crisper than the Bastet. I know this contains florals, but I can't pick them out - that might just be my chemistry though - But both Rand M and PB seem to share a very similar "backbone".

PB is more rounded, cohesive and deeper. It has none of that sharp crispness. But this might be due to maturation in the bottle since brewing.

I think the best way to describe it is that while they are very similar in many ways PB seems more complex and mutli-layered. R and M is like a rich, yummy 10-year-old brandy but PB is like a 15-year-old brandy - more complex, deeper, a little smoother (more roundy) and with some differently developed notes.

This probably doesn't make much sense - suffice it to say - they are both similar but both different. However, if you like one - I think there is a very, very good chance you will like the other.

May

Edited by May

Pssssst.....hey Chai.....will be sending off my sample of R & M to you tomorrow (since the PO is closed today).....along with the others we discussed...... :lol:

Yay! Doing the LP happy dance (and listening to Chemical Brothers while doing it! Talk about a dance-trance)! Thank you, Dolly :)

Yay! Doing the LP happy dance (and listening to Chemical Brothers while doing it! Talk about a dance-trance)! Thank you, Dolly :)

You're very welcome!! :lol:

• 2 weeks later...

Yes! Like AA in reverse! ;);)

• 3 months later...

I'm wearing Robin and Marian today. I purchased a sample in order to test it out. I simply love this potion. It so much reminds me of Potion Bastet. Which is my ultimate favorite of all times. I'm going to buy a large bottle of R&M because this brew is precious.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm still in love with this scent. It grows on you. I put some on in the morning and by afternoon it had morphed into a really rich and sexy scent. It so much reminds me of Potion Bastet. I still havent purchased a full sized bottle but I will. Maybe 2 this potion is priceless and a little goes a long way.

• 1 month later...
Robin and Marian

I can defintely see the similarities between this and Potion Bastet. Wet - for just a couple of seconds - it has a strange chemical edge but that evaporates in seconds to a very rich and deep fragrance.

Like PB this smells EXPENSIVE - like very wealthy ladies in designer clothes wafting through the floors of Harrods. It's deep, it's bold and it is very elegant.

I think I need to have some of this one.

Best

May

I love your description it does smell expensive and rich. There is ancient feel to it that befits the time period of Robin and Marian. On the dry down I detect a powdery tone. The powdery tone is slight and I can still smell the floral.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

I would like to add again how much I enjoy this one. It is bold and wonderful. It does have the feel of a timeless fragrance. The floral is not too strong on me. What I get are the resins and musks with a woody floral in the background. It almost feels like sandalwood is in here somewhere.