Brother Brimstone

luna65

This was all The Naughty Jester's doing, of course, and as with any good storyteller he had a good one to inspire me, so all kudos and huzzahs to him. But I was also inspired by an episode of The Twilight Zone called "The Grave," an Old West tale of revenge from beyond the veil (and one of the players is a gorgeous young James Best *sigh*).

Onto the scent...when I first sniffed it, as I noted, it was mainly booze and dusty sage for me, and now that it's settled down and aged a little bit the booze is very strong in the vial. It sort of reminds me of scents like BPAL's Schwarzer Mond or Arcana's The Ulda with the "evil Dr. Pepper" or sassafras type of thing going on. But the spices bloom immediately on me, to the exclusion of anything else for a while. A very masculine sort of spice, of course. In the drydown other elements emerge eventually, but sadly the leather is not really there for me at all. In the end it's a spicy smoky kind of outdoors scent, I suppose. If this was just leather and booze and smoke it would make me so happy, but that's what I have Down & Dirty for, after all. Those who like the hot spice blends on themselves or their menfolk should try this, but I'm interested to know how it smells on people who might not amp the spice.

Speaking of leather and booze, when I pitched this blend to the woobie as one which OMG YOU MUST TRY THIS FOR ME he said, "Why are you always trying to get me to smell like booze? We have a bad enough reputation as it is, you know." But the catch-22 of that is when I remind him that he does in fact enjoy a tipple he always says, "Well I have to, don't I?" And there are a few interpretations of that statement, of course, but I'm going with the tribute to his national character. :)

Glad you like it! Want mine? (Or does anyone?) It really doesn't work for me at all.

It depends on if Q likes it (when I have him try the trial vial). I don't think I'd wear it often enough to justify a bottle for me (like I have with some others). If he deems it acceptable then I'd be happy to trade you for something else you'd like. But if someone else wants it in the meantime then that's okay too.

• 9 months later...

I took a phero break and ran into a close friend that I don't get to see much due to our crazy schedules. I was going to go phero free on the non phero products, but she likes to try them out and finds them interesting. I will do non phero tests with the scent but this night T talked me into "spiking" her choice, which was elementary. A little back round on T she's 5'4" about 130 and is mostly into masculine scents if she's given the choice. personality wise she is very easy going and everyone loves her no matter where you take her. T is very outgoing and will make new friends wherever you happen to take her. T is gay so that always makes testing more fun, but certainly not the reason for her choice of masculine scents, she does wear some girly scents but always gravitates to the more masculine stuff.

T shows up at my house after not seeing each other for a month and a half we talk have some dinner and decide to go out for the night. I swear it was pure luck that it happened to be ladies night that we went out and was T's choice not mine. She chose the place where the EX tends to be at most, but the EX never bothers me when T is around so I know I will have fun no matter what. T and I have similar skin types so what smells good on her will smell the same on me. I will review elementary on my own but her choice of wearing it tonight gives me a good idea of how it will smell on me when it comes time to test it.

T and I ran into the EX...... lucky us. I won't disclose what we used for the spiking, so don't ask.

I really like the smell of Brother Brimstone, clean, powdery and just an all around good scent. The scent isn't hit you in the face but not super subtle either, a very well balanced scent overall. We grabbed a pitcher and found a table to catch up at while enjoying our drinks. T and I ran into a few people we knew and made some small talk with them, we kept the conversation light and soon were left to talk amongst ourselves again.

T and I talked to a mutual friend shared by the EX and I, T had never met her but they hit it off well and talked for quite awhile. The EX of course had to start her normal drama and told her friend not to talk to us or she would leave....we could only hope she would. A left the table and then was stuck sitting by herself as the EX made her way out to the dance floor. J came over and talked to me and I introduced her to T. They got along well and J called A back over to our table, so she wasn't sitting alone. T and I were getting ready to go over and get A but J beat us to it.

J grabbed T and they went out to the dance floor and cut it up for a couple songs, there was an older guy out there and T said someone should dance with him. A and I said she should, T said I'll take that dare and before leaving the table we dared her to grab his butt. T danced with him and at the end of the dance gave him a lil grab, then came back to the table. We all talked for awhile and some guy the EX was talking to came to the table as well, T grabbed him and took him to dance and while out there warned him of the EX and her craziness.

The table next to us joined us and we hung out for quite awhile getting to know each other. The EX came to our table and hung out and I don't know if it was how much she drank or what but she took T to dance, I would have never imagined that one happening. They were actually getting along which I knew they could as T wasn't the one with the issue, it was the EX that always had the issue. T and I got comments all night on how good we smelled and as usual T was the life of the party.

We ended our night and made our way home, I cooked T breakfast and we talked about the crazy night we had. T couldn't believe the EX danced with her either, but said she would try and catch up with me again soon and maybe even try on a night we would run into the EX gain as she wanted to if wearing the same stuff again would get the same results. I really like Brother brimstone and it kind of reminds me of Angel men, not an exact match for it but the vibe, I will test this again when I get the chance but work has had me running crazy so the reviews may be a little more spaced out than the voracious review was.

• 8 months later...

This is leathery, sagey and boozey on my beau, its very manly, dark and earthy and is really delicious on first application, I find his skin absorbs it much faster than bodice ripper albeit it lasts well for quite a few hours and as it dissipates, a few spicey, smokey, soft bourbon notes cling to his skin.

A very sexy scent made for 'real men' who are proud of their masculinity.

When I sniff at the bottle, I find it a very sensual odour, It makes me think of a roll in the hay with a muscular, tough, sexy swaggering bloke who is well made in every way.

• 4 months later...

I'm surprised this is a men's fragrance, it smells very musky and a little florally to me. Underneath that it just smells dry, dusty and smoky, and makes me want to sneeze. I'm not a fan of it, but I guess I'd have to smell it on a guy to know for sure.

• 1 month later...

This is the official fragrance of dudes who just don't give a fuck.

The sage is bold. The hay is obvious. The resins know their fucking place and the mexican spice adds danger (not in any kind of racist ignorant kind of way).

Someone rocking this fragrance doesn't care what you think. In fact, you can kiss his ass. The leather is a little lacking but the booze shows that you've already been taking the edge off and the smokey woods show that you're ready to get that poker game started....and let's see if we can get some pizza and chicks in here at some point....pizza first.

Add some type of Alpha and/or sexual pheromones to it and Brother Brimstone can be a dangerous weapon. In fact that's what I'll do.

Mara, if you're reading this: I'm gonna need a bucket of this stuff. Thanks.

Jesse

The sage is bold. The hay is obvious. The resins know their fucking place and the mexican spice adds danger (not in any kind of racist ignorant kind of way).

Someone rocking this fragrance doesn't care what you think. In fact, you can kiss his ass. The leather is a little lacking but the booze shows that you've already been taking the edge off and the smokey woods show that you're ready to get that poker game started....and let's see if we can get some pizza and chicks in here at some point....pizza first.

Add some type of Alpha and/or sexual pheromones to it and Brother Brimstone can be a dangerous weapon. In fact that's what I'll do.

Jesse

Haha, I knew you wanted this ;)

Amazing review! I am going to need to sample this, I too want to be a dangerous Mexican!

Ah, yes, you're already enough of a challenge to my heterosexuality. Yeah, I would totally drink your bathwater chica. Lol. Edited by Beccah

Jesse

Thanks, man. This review is exactly what was running through my head when I conceived of it. The true magic, of course, always goes to Mara. But your review is damned awesome, man.

Beccah your avi is a challenge to my heterosexuality ;)

Bahaha, I originally posted on SO's wall. It says "God's work is done" underneath Cleavage ;)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

sweet! I just ordered a sample of this from the trader's post. Smells wild-western scrumptious!

• 1 month later...

This is probably the most fun cologne I have tried here to date. It has already been reviewed pretty well by JMartin so I am not sure what I can add to the commentary.

On my skin, I get the smokey sense of the brimstone and the booze. The sage and the spices give it a bite. If Brother Brimstone was inspired by and Old West tale of revenge from beyond the grave, then it certainly lives up to its inspiration.

This is the cologne Clint Eastwood could have worn for High Plains Drifter. This is the cologne I am going to wear when I hit the local biker bars.

Edited by quietguy

• 6 months later...

I never got a sample of this, I just went for the fb and I'm not disappointed. This isn't what I expected but I like this none the less.

This smells like an Old Western through and through. Different parts of our skin amp different scents because of the PH level, my wrist and my forearms amp different things.

My wrists smell amp up the smoky scent and my forearms smell like out doors its spicy and earthy

This scent instantly changes my mood in a bit, I feel cool calm and a lil devious. Before the dry down, I felt like I had to sneeze.

I don't feel like the good guy with this on, I really like the smoky note that is with it.

• 5 months later...

Brother Brimstone

Tried by myself, Spike, and Jay. For description of reviewers, go here.http://lovepotion.invisionzone.com/index.php?showtopic=8376&do=findComment&comment=322068

rhiannon - This wll be a fairly simple review. The notes I got were resin, sagebrush and a small amount of sandalwood. If you are looking for an incense bomb, this is it. As it progressed over the next 6 hours, it lost some of its heavy quality and sweetened ever so slightly ( I believe the hay came in and stood quietly in the background). If there were any bourbon or earth notes, they dissolved into the heavy incense, much like a pinch of seasoning into a stock pot of soup - you can't taste it when it is there, but something would be off if it was missing. For the most part, the notes remained the same, from bottle to on skin a day later. Honestly, it reminded me of my late teenage years, gathered together in a dark room full of blacklight glow posters ( if it glowed and had skulls, dragons, tigers or graffitti on it, we bought it) , dragon statues, a blanket tacked up as a door, with incense burning and korn playing as loud as we could get away with. There is a store in our local mall that sells music tees, body jewelry, skater pants, and every incense you could name. This smells like that shop.

Jay - same as above, except that his skin brought out more of a sandalwood incense, while mine focused on the sage brush.

Spike - incense, with a slightly smokier undertone. As if hers was lit incense, and ours was fresh out of the pack.

Jesse

High yes... this review is priceless JMartin. Possibly one of the best ever. You are one rock star of a reviewer and if I ever design a potion I want YOU to review it. As long as you LIKED what I came up with! Totally bad ass! ;)

• 6 months later...

This smells like one of those dimly lit bars where you go to no pretenses. There's one that my BF and I used to go. It's called The Stovepiper Lounge.

The booths have that fake red leather upholstery and every corner is dark. There's a popcorn machine and salted pretzels. This scent reminds me of a combo of that place. Salted pretzels, red leather, cigarette smoke, rum and diet coke, stolen kisses, dark corners, and beer. Very sexy but safe feeling.

A bit dangerous and dark.