Menstrual cycle and perfume morph

I've been trying BAM, and over the last few days, I've realized that the bitterness I'm getting from the perfumes (I had this with MRF) may actually have something to do with my menstrual cycle. Right now, mine is really haywire due to stress, but I've found that when the bleeding is really heavy (sorry for the TMI), I seem to get the bitters with anything with cops in it! Interesting, huh? Anyone else have experience like this?

Yes we've discussed this phenomenom before; hormones affect so many things and it appears that one of those things is skin chemistry (as evidenced by something like acne, for example). Because artisan scents like LPMP don't contain any fixatives it is likely that menstruation will affect particular scents, and many of us have the same observation. It wouldn't necessarily be every scent, just certain ones.

Edited by luna65

:yeahthat: What Luna said! She puts things so well.

Which is why it is often suggested that you revisit a scent you don't like at first sniff. You never know.

Edited by Isa

• 2 weeks later...

Pheros (especially blends with cops) do not seem to work when I'm having my period. It's like my body has hung out a "closed for business" sign.

Pheros (especially blends with cops) do not seem to work when I'm having my period. It's like my body has hung out a "closed for business" sign.

I'm sure at this point that anything with cops is a no-no for me during my period. I seem to get this burnt/ bitter scent with it- I'm on my period right now, and for testing, I put on just a bit of MRF with BI on one arm, and OCCO White on the other. Both turned bitter on me in about an hour. It smells heavenly when I'm not on my period, but during my period, it seems Cops are a no-no.

Which is perfectly fine, because I also cramp like hell and the last thing I ant during my period is *any* guy wanting teh sex.

• 1 month later...

Not that pheros are rendered ineffective, just that certain scents (and this would include the scent of pheromones) change (or one's tolerance to them) sometimes due to hormonal factors.

Normally i would consider anything spicy as HEAVY but recently i have a sudden urge for anything with cinammon!!! They turn out rather light on my skin these days!!??? I can feel that my likings in fragrance change every now and then especially after menstrucal cycle! :clapW2: It's quite cool! :(

It is not that your period renders pheros ineffective (except for self-effects), or actually changes the perfumes, it is that your olfactory perception changes.

I've always wondered if hormonal flux affects the skin's pH in regards to how a scent would wear, as opposed to normal conditions.

It is not that your period renders pheros ineffective (except for self-effects), or actually changes the perfumes, it is that your olfactory perception changes.

So is it true that the self-effects are non-existent when you're menstruating?

I have sprayed instant shine on twice yesterday and a couple times today and got no self-effects. I'm wondering if that's related to menstruation and I should just kiss self-effects good-bye during that time of the month. I guess that's a good way to preserve my pheromones though! lol!

Edited by iggypop

I've always wondered if hormonal flux affects the skin's pH in regards to how a scent would wear, as opposed to normal conditions.

I wonder that too, I imagine it does. My skin changes dramatically during my cycle. A week before and during my time of the month my skin becomes so oily with acne breakouts. I can't use my usual moisturizer and have to use a more drying oil for that. I can't use my face primer because it breaks me out worse while pms-ing and while on period otherwise I can wear it just fine. I even notice I smell different. My deodorant doesn't work as well after a work-out while on my cycle so personally I believe the skin's pH HAS to effect the scent of a perfume oil. But that's just my guess from experience.

Pandamaniac and Festival of Lights actually work on me when I'm on my period, they are so creamy with vanilla but other wise they turn into an unpleasant plastic smell. I wonder how this changes pheromones, I haven't experimented yet, usually to cranky to notice, lol, but iggypop has some interesting observations. I should really try out my pheros more next month and pay attention.

My nose is super sensitive when I Regulate- yesterday Elan Vital made me sneeze and today the Magician made me feel nauseated.

I notice my nose goes a bit funny during my time of menstrual cycle too! sometimes itz more sensitive than other days!! :lol:

I put on just a bit of MRF with BI on one arm, and OCCO White on the other. Both turned bitter on me in about an hour.

Yes, I experimented with MRF+BI too. I had it on my wrists and it also smelled bitter and unpleasant. My dad said that I smell like tobacco. O_o

Sexology is better, but I feel only musk on my skin... without any honey or cinnamon! I'm really surprised. :lol:

Yes, I experimented with MRF+BI too. I had it on my wrists and it also smelled bitter and unpleasant. My dad said that I smell like tobacco. O_o

Sexology is better, but I feel only musk on my skin... without any honey or cinnamon! I'm really surprised. :lol:

No way! That happened to me last night! I was with a group of women and I was wearing RF and quite liking it myself. When I polled the group woman told me I smelled like a cigar too. (I'm on period right now) the rest told me i smelled very brown sugary and that it was strong. I'd applied it late morn. :-?

@Honeybee- when your skin gets really oily before your period- plain Milk of Magnesia (get the unflavored kind!) is great for sopping up the sebum. I apply it to my face at full strength as an overnight masque at night before bed, and I use a diluted strength (basically 1 part MOM to 3 parts water) under my makeup during the day for a few days during my period when my skin overloads on oil production. It's an awesome mattifier. In fact, it's my favorite under makeup primer. I first learned of this when I was working for a dermatologist- he sold this expensive "overnight" treatment, but he said the main ingredient is the same as Milk of Magnesia and that's what he uses himself.

You can try it full strength as a 15-30 minute masque first, see if that does the trick.

• 5 years later...

No, the consensus is that the hormone fluctuations that occur during the menstrual cycle likely change the skin's PH & that effects the way some scents interact with the skin. I don't find myself reaching for any pheromones beside Balm Bomb or A1 heavy blends during this part of my cycle, but those seem to work fine for me. Cops tend to make me feel nauseated.

Is it true that the Pheros are not effective when you're on your cycle? I'm on mine now and it seems like they are only working halfway. :-(

As everyone said above, it's probably not affecting the strength or effects of the pheros.

But, speaking for myself, I have had a couple of incidents where I did wear a phero blend and I felt extra blah.. I did that a couple of times then I realized what was going on. As with pheros and chemistry though YMMV.

Balm Bomb is helpful to some during PMS time. As far as during menses, I don't like to wear pheros at all.

Edited by StacyK