The Science of Attraction

Potion Master

A lot of fun treats to read and view this month of the Valentine....

Yesterday in the New York Times:

The Threatening Scent of Fertile Women

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/02/22/science/...r.html?emc=eta1

The Discovery Channel aired a number of documentaries this month - The Science of Lust (2011), The Science of Attraction, The Science of Sex, etc., and it looks like these can still be found for online viewing. Fun as well as informative, highly recommended!

There's footage of an experiment in (I believe it was) The Science of Attraction which I saw a couple of years ago which is amazing. They took 10 male subjects, put them in a room alone with a computer screen on which they flashed head shots of 10 females. The men were asked to rate the attractiveness of the women on a scale of 1-10. Most rated the women a 5 or lower. Then they asked the men to put on an oxygen mask - a drop of copulins had been added to the oxygen - and they ran the test again. Same 10 female head shots, but now the men rated the women 9 or above.

The new docu, The Science of Lust, has fabulous studies on behavioral changes in men and women when they are exposed to attractive individuals of the opposite sex, or even a suggestion of sex. The peacock factor in men you probably would have guessed, but that women become more helpful and kind was not something I expected to see. Veddddyy interesting! Catch these shows if you can!

A lot of fun treats to read and view this month of the Valentine....

Yesterday in the New York Times:

The Threatening Scent of Fertile Women

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/02/22/science/...r.html?emc=eta1

The Discovery Channel aired a number of documentaries this month - The Science of Lust (2011), The Science of Attraction, The Science of Sex, etc., and it looks like these can still be found for online viewing. Fun as well as informative, highly recommended!

There's footage of an experiment in (I believe it was) The Science of Attraction which I saw a couple of years ago which is amazing. They took 10 male subjects, put them in a room alone with a computer screen on which they flashed head shots of 10 females. The men were asked to rate the attractiveness of the women on a scale of 1-10. Most rated the women a 5 or lower. Then they asked the men to put on an oxygen mask - a drop of copulins had been added to the oxygen - and they ran the test again. Same 10 female head shots, but now the men rated the women 9 or above.

The new docu, The Science of Lust, has fabulous studies on behavioral changes in men and women when they are exposed to attractive individuals of the opposite sex, or even a suggestion of sex. The peacock factor in men you probably would have guessed, but that women become more helpful and kind was not something I expected to see. Veddddyy interesting! Catch these shows if you can!

My man and I saw the one on the Science of Lust.....I remember the part about the females becoming more helpful....their reasoning behind it made sense if you think about it though.....

My man and I saw the one on the Science of Lust.....I remember the part about the females becoming more helpful....their reasoning behind it made sense if you think about it though.....

Oh, totally! I was just irritated at my sisters' behavior in the "before" experiment, weren't you? I protest that my behavior is (almost) always that of tending toward being helpful anyway...could you walk past a person needing assistance like that?....it was embarrassing to see that NONE of those young women responded favorably until the "stimulus" was introduced!!!

I have a question on this cops stuff. I wore Love Blossom and Cops & Robbers recently.

There's this scent that hits my nose from Love Blossom that I do not like, it reminds me of when my shih tzu would go to get groomed. I picked it up in Cops and Robbers as well, a few hours after I wore it, its a very pungey smell. Is what I am smelling Copulins? I noticed that both Love Blossom and Cops and Robbers have phermones. When my dog Gypsy would come back from the groomers, Kramer my Maltese would not leave her alone and he's fixed. I haven't received any hits wearing either one of these, however I did notice that older women are rude to me.

I have a question on this cops stuff. I wore Love Blossom and Cops & Robbers recently.

There's this scent that hits my nose from Love Blossom that I do not like, it reminds me of when my shih tzu would go to get groomed. I picked it up in Cops and Robbers as well, a few hours after I wore it, its a very pungey smell. Is what I am smelling Copulins? I noticed that both Love Blossom and Cops and Robbers have phermones. When my dog Gypsy would come back from the groomers, Kramer my Maltese would not leave her alone and he's fixed. I haven't received any hits wearing either one of these, however I did notice that older women are rude to me.

Ah, you probably have a sensitive sniffer to be able to pull those animalic notes from the perfumes! Pheromones ARE synthetic body secretions remember, and they do have an animalic aroma - that's how they work. Most people perceive them subconsciously, some people can smell them more acutely than others. If everyone around you seems to be smelling them and reacting negatively, you might be wearing too much, or you might be producing enough of your own that the addition of the pheros is overkill.

From what I understand, one of the things that groomers do is express the gland in the dog's bottom, which makes for a increased scent of musk on the animal for a few days...which is indeed pheromonal. Various musks once used in perfumes, from civit cats and deer etc., were derived the same way. Many natural substances, even vegetable derived, have evolved with pheromonal qualities. Honey is one, and musk ambrette is a plant seed that mimics deer musk.

We've heard quite a few reports over the years from people saying that older woman are rude to younger women who wear a lot of pheromones. It seems to me, that it's a reaction of offense or disapproval for a "display" of perceived blatant sexuality. Or...you just might call it jealousy. :(

Okay...

I think it's that some women don't literally want their noses rubbed in a younger girl's pussy power. :(

Edited by luna65

Oh, totally! I was just irritated at my sisters' behavior in the "before" experiment, weren't you? I protest that my behavior is (almost) always that of tending toward being helpful anyway...could you walk past a person needing assistance like that?....it was embarrassing to see that NONE of those young women responded favorably until the "stimulus" was introduced!!!

Yeah, I am normally of the more helpful type.....I find it quite rude to walk past someone who is struggling with boxes or whatever, without even offering to help.....

Okay...

I think it's that some women don't literally want their noses rubbed in a younger girl's pussy power. :o

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAAA

;)

LOLZ @ Luna ...you never disappoint ;)

That was a fun and interesting read "tempt me not! I see nothing! I see nothing!" cracked me up and the "Lap dancers get much higher tips"

I wear cops always now,so far no overt negative reactions from women :D I thought there was one instance,but I think she was just having a bad day cause after we talked for awhile she was very nice,ummm the a-nol probably helped,no doubt :o

Edited by Calii

- a drop of copulins had been added to the oxygen - and they ran the test again. Same 10 female head shots, but now the men rated the women 9 or above.

This was an interesting read. Funny what a a single drop of copulins can do. Wonder what would have happened if they had used OCCO (the proverbial "assload of cops")* :)

*Footnoting you Luna

I can't find it :)

I couldn't find it either, but what I'm gathering is that the researchers found that women are more helpful when they're aroused? Hmm, is that why (Neanderthal) men perceive nicer women as being, ahem, easier targets?

Or...you just might call it jealousy. :)

Why is it that most of us women get jealous more easily? I mean we women have so many things to "beautify" ourselves as compared to the men. Or maybe that's precisely the point, too many options available to us. Or it is that men just don't verbalize their jealousy?

Why is it that most of us women get jealous more easily? I mean we women have so many things to "beautify" ourselves as compared to the men. Or maybe that's precisely the point, too many options available to us. Or it is that men just don't verbalize their jealousy?

My theory is that on a primordial level, with reproduction being so much more costly to us as females, we instinctively defend our resources more savagely. On the other hand my theory would depend on what level you are existing. Whether you aspire to higher spiritual level, or concern your self with lower desires.

It's likely equal parts instinct and socialzation. We are socialized not only to objectify ourselves (in addition to everyone else doing it) but also to view every female in regards to potential rivalry, which manifests itself as jealousy; not to mention that this process carries with it massive insecurities, which also cause expressions of jealousy.

I wonder if exposing your guy to cops would just make him think every woman he sees is much more attractive, like in the study? Wouldn't want to to that! :)

Just wondering how many % of the population are:

1) aware of cops and pheros

2) using cops and pheros

Frankly, I didn't know they existed till mid last year! I've been missing out the fun all this time! Okay, to be honest, I'm still not a regular phero user as I chose to go phero-free whe the kids are around .... And that's like 24 by 7!!!

Since reproduction is more costly to us, I think men should be competing for us instead of the other way around. I think things got turned around somehow. I understand that women in relationships might feel the need to work harder to keep their man around since men naturally have a wandering eye, but I don't see a reason that single women should have to compete with one another for male attention. Obsession with our looks and being competitive are probably something to keep women preoccupied while men stay in power. :)

Just wondering how many % of the population are:

1) aware of cops and pheros

2) using cops and pheros

Frankly, I didn't know they existed till mid last year! I've been missing out the fun all this time! Okay, to be honest, I'm still not a regular phero user as I chose to go phero-free whe the kids are around .... And that's like 24 by 7!!!

I think the vast percentage of the population that is aware of pheromones, tend to view them as snake oil and/or wouldn't go out of their way to buy them. I have introduced a few friends/relatives to them & they still stick with wearing my perfumes when we socialize.

I'm sorry if I made that initial post confusing - I posted the article for you to read, but I was discussing the documentaries below that.

If you look up the docu there's a lot of sites that are offering it for download or viewing, but I am not sure if those are bootleg sites or not, so I won't post the links.

Obsession with our looks and being competitive are probably something to keep women preoccupied while men stay in power. <_>

And to keep certain industries in business.

I would think it's situational. The stimulus provided in the experiment was a more direct expression of their reactions. If you wore cops in public and were with your TG then he would likely pay attention to you or risk your censure (if he's smart, that is).

I'm sorry if I made that initial post confusing - I posted the article for you to read, but I was discussing the documentaries below that.

If you look up the docu there's a lot of sites that are offering it for download or viewing, but I am not sure if those are bootleg sites or not, so I won't post the links.

It's O'tay, thanks for the post, very interesting.

I've seen those shows! They are basically the same info, and they air on-- is it Discovery? TLC? --somewhat regularly I think. They were actually on a loop a couple weeks back, I had em on in the background, each one on like twice! I'd seen the cops mask experiment a couple years ago, interesting indeed. I posted about it actually, because there was debate in this forum over whether cops have to be 'smellable' and the show made a point that the cops in the mask were beneath the smell threshold (they'd kinda have to be, or the guys would know *something* was up when the cheese pumped in!)

Some of the info presented felt kinda dubious. The 'helpful' ladies experiment in particular seemed VERY flawed as far as the assumptions they drew from it. The ladies were either put in a scenario that had them confused and uneasy, before sending them outside to... well, they kept it unclear... so it is easy to see that they were distracted & myopic. The other scenario was full of flirtation and flattery so they were at ease and on a little ego buzz when they went outside, more likely to embrace the ambiguity of what was going on and actually *register* the struggling chick, and the obvious notion that they could help her out. They didn't know they were being observed, either, so the idea of 'showboating' their helpfulness didn't really fly with me.

Then again, I wasn't really paying attention. That was my take on that experiment though, it really stuck in my mind. The shows are fun to watch, once, for sure :001_302:

• 8 years later...

Here's a cool article on scent and how scent memories are formed, based on study called "Hippocampal projections to the anterior olfactory nucleus differentially convey spatiotemporal information during episodic odour memory." (I won't even bother to pretend to read the study. 😊)

The Neuroscience of Smell Memories Linked to Place and Time

This article by same author contains the informational jewel (among others) that Madonna had liner notes of every album, cd, and cassette for Like a Prayer scented with patchouli! 

Using the Power of Smell to Step Outside Your Comfort Zones

Edited by Eastwood22

Thanks for sharing!  *off to do some light reading*

Clearly my scent and memory associations are strong and ever present!  I put Mike's Havana on Earth on my son for his 7th grade dance, which was described as being "in the family of the power fougeres so popular in the 80's." That's what a boy at a 7th grade dance smells like to me!