Rose of Shrewsbury

LadyVictoria

AD-RoseShrewsbury.jpg?v=7516fd43adaa

Rose of Shrewsbury

A favorite confection dating back to the 1500s, the town of Shrewsbury in Shropshire was famed for their delicately rose flavored cakes (which have more the consistency of what Yanks would call a cookie); and as well as being introduced to Colonial society by First Lady Louisa Catherine Adams, the delicacy was also given further fame in William Congreve's play The Way of the World. Our version is a lovely gourmand with a sheer whisper of floral...tangy light Sweetheart Roses and nutmeg are folded into distilled butter extract and coconut cream, then finished with a touch of fluffy cocoa butter.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Magickal Meanings of Ingredients:
SWEETHEART ROSES ~ Self-confidence, strong aphrodisiac properties, attracts affection & love, fertility, divination/clairvoyance.
NUTMEG ~ Strengthens clairvoyance, luck, money, health, fidelity.
BUTTER ~ Nurturing, soothing, eases troubled relationships. Goddess energy.
COCOA BUTTER ~ Lightens emotions, evokes feelings of love.
COCONUT CREAM ~ Protection, purification, receptivity.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Hmmm.. on my at first application it smells like Vicks, then it turns into a soft nutmeg bathed in powdery sugar, which is probably the coconut cream.

Will wait and see what else comes out, but for me the nutmeg is very prominent. My sister said I smelled like Christmas. Not bad. Wait there's something else that is poking through.. cocoa butter and butter.. and a small , very small hint of floral.

My skin doesn't hang on to florals tho- but wait.. Mother May I! The floral is popping through..

Okay here is what I am feeling. It's when I go into a bakery and they sell hot cocoa with whipped cream.
After you drink your cocoa and eat your pastry and are out the door, you catch a sniff of the beautiful floral arrangement they have on the cake counter.

OMG I just described my favorite cozy coffee house/bakery/ cottage/bookstore

The Aroma Cafe and Tea Company!!
Mara you are a GENIUS!!

Thank you, Lady V! :)

Just a note for those that might be expecting a rose/icing type of scent, like the sold out perfumes La Fleur Cremeuse, Scandalous Intentions or Rosebud Cupcake - this is NOT similar.

This is a spicy crispy cookie scent, with an aura of sheer rose water wafting over the top.

I'm really loving this one, been wearing it a lot!

Thank you, Lady V! :)

Just a note for those that might be expecting a rose/icing type of scent, like the sold out perfumes La Fleur Cremeuse, Scandalous Intentions or Rosebud Cupcake - this is NOT similar.

This is a spicy crispy cookie scent, with an aura of sheer rose water wafting over the top.

I'm really loving this one, been wearing it a lot!

It is spicy! I love how the rose floats up and teases you, pulls your hair for a bit then goes back to hide so nutmeg can finish the job.

This started off very odd on my skin - almost an eow ripeness that's maybe the buttery cookie? But, I gave it time to settle and now it's a light sugared rose w/hint of spice. It's delicate, feminine. Warm-weather wear scent when you don't want to be clobbered by FLOWERZ or FOOODZ!

Oh oh oh...I love rose, and I really like nutmeg (which may be what gave you the EOW experience, katz - it can be sort of...pungent...in a bodily sort of way) so I hope hope hope this works for me!

Not bad, it kinda smells like a more darker version of Nospi Apertifi on me at first, kinda chocolaty, but about 10 minutes later, I can smell the scent of a rose coming through strong and crispy!!!

I wouldn't buy a big bottle of this for the summer months like now, but maybe around October this would be a nice fall scent.

Edited by AncientGoddess

This is about how it smells for me too! Chocolately, then roses but somewhere cookie scent too.... :lol:

Not bad, it kinda smells like a more darker version of Nospi Apertifi on me at first, kinda chocolaty, but about 10 minutes later, I can smell the scent of a rose coming through strong and crispy!!!

I wouldn't buy a big bottle of this for the summer months like now, but maybe around October this would be a nice fall scent.

The instant I smelled this sample I thought that smells identical to some rose water cookies I like to make sometimes. Literally identical! I went and grabbed the recipe for this and surprise, surprise they are called Shrewsbury Cakes. They are very tasty and really easy to make. Here is the recipe if anyone is interested:

½ cup butter (soft)

½ cup sugar

2 tbsps rosewater

2 ½ cups flour

½ tps nutmeg

½ tsp salt

Cream the butter and sugar in a bowl, add the rosewater and blend. Sift in the salt and nutmeg, 2 cups of flour and stir to combine. Knead the mixture and add the remaining flour as required to form a dough ball. Roll out, cut into shapes and bake for 15 minutes at about 160˚C, or until lightly golden on top.

LPMP reviews: now with free recipes inside! Every time you think this place can't possibly get any better, it does :666:

Hmm. I wasn't planning on getting this one - I already have too many rose-based blends - but given that I love rosewater anything... and spicy scents... I might just have to cave and get at least a sample.

Ellie, thanks so much for the recipe. I am definitely trying it!

LPMP reviews: now with free recipes inside! Every time you think this place can't possibly get any better, it does :)

LOL...this is soooo cool ,thanks Ellie :) :) :)

We can call it "Just Desserts"! Buns of Cinn! Pie In The Sky! Eebil Ginger Cookies! S'more Than a Feeling! Fallen Angel! Prophetic Pie! Castle Crumble!

and uh, re-release 'Get Stuffed' at a date yet to be determined... :)

Yay! I'm so happy it really smells like the cookies! :)

That's what I was going for, but have never tasted those cookies. I do get a lot inspiration from dessert recipes. Slurp.

I can't believe you've never tried them and yet you got the scent completely spot on! I am as ever amazed with your creative talents.

I hope you enjoy the cookies if you make them Ishtar and Calii. Next time I make them I will wear my perfume while I nom on them and then marvel at the identical scent!

That's pretty amazing, Mara. You are a gem of many facets.

Have you ever tried making a tres leches potion ?

Have you ever been inside any of the Vallarta stores? In the bakery section they have the yummiest tres leches cake with strawberries.

My bf will buy surprise me with a slice from there every once in a while or from the Viktor Benes bakery in Gelson's. I adore their little peanut butter cheesecake cups.

Oh man I am PMSing!

I love the way this smells in the vial - definitely a delicious bakery rose - but then oh goodness the nutmeg is all OH HAI up in my grill. Sharp and kind of soapy. Hopefully in a couple months it might settle down to allow the other notes to come forth, though I do tend to amp spices as a general rule.

Given that it's a different blend from the other gourmand rose scents which Mara has created it's likely to smell different on you even if you detect a similarity.

Given that it's a different blend from the other gourmand rose scents which Mara has created it's likely to smell different on you even if you detect a similarity.

It's between R of S and Rosebud's snuggle cookie.

Rose of Shrews:

Our version is a lovely gourmand with a sheer whisper of floral...tangy light Sweetheart Roses and nutmeg are folded into distilled butter extract and coconut cream, then finished with a touch of fluffy cocoa butter.

I'm hoping that of these two, the nutmeg/cookie type scent will be more prominent. What do you think?

As I stated, the nutmeg was really strong on me; and Mara does say it's more of a cookie scent, so...

• 2 weeks later...

OK--I wasn't too keen to try this one because rose is not one of my favorites. But wow! This is so nice! It's really spicy and creamy with just a hint of rose in the background. I love it, and will wear it in the autumn and on cool nights. Nice!

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I spilled most of my trial vial on myself just now and may go insane from the deliciousness. Getting a lot of nutmeg and cocoa butter this time. Good gracious this is heavenly.

Eta ah hadn't really mentally processed how spicy this is. Explains the tingly nips. ...TMI perhaps. I wasn't kidding when I said I spilled it.

Edited by tyvey

• 2 weeks later...
I spilled most of my trial vial on myself just now and may go insane from the deliciousness. Getting a lot of nutmeg and cocoa butter this time. Good gracious this is heavenly.

Eta ah hadn't really mentally processed how spicy this is. Explains the tingly nips. ...TMI perhaps. I wasn't kidding when I said I spilled it.

Dangit Tyvey now I'm back on the fence again.. I know I know it's just a sample size, but lately I've been striking out with everything I've tried.

Rose can be for any time of year, it all depends on what the note is blended with. I enjoy having different ones to wear depending on the season. For example, one of my fall rose scents is Liz' Sugared Dark Patchouli & Rose Otto: gorgeous, ornate and deep.

• 1 year later...

Magnified chocolate hazelnut butter cookies!!!! Only the teeniest hint of rose , some powdery feminine backgound, and Big, last all day and and fill every room I'm in Cooky fragrance. My kids love this on me. I love this on me. Although I love rose, i dont mind it vanishing on me in this fragrance. My mum's home smells overwhelmingly lavender-herbal from real bundles of herbs, yet I can smell Rose of Shrewesbury on me when I visited her yesterday. YaY! This is family pleasing scent (treasured hearts would be excellent in this) yet I find a seductve, sexy whiff somewhere down deep. This stays handy on the dresser :)

• 1 month later...

LOL,Ducky's avi and ensuing convo with EOSP on the Stalk thread left me wondering about this,so I got it out last night and oh my if you have not tried it in awhile,it is aging splendidly :) ... on me, a delicious chocolate rose butter cookie :lolipop: