Best Musk For a Man?

halo0073

I am trying to advise another guy on a musky scent from LP. I know he wants a cover scent for other pheros so maybe not the phero blends. I told him my fav is Allumette but it's sold out. I'm going to also suggest unpheroed TMI. Anybody else know any other great musk heavy blends for a guy?

Gemini is the unisex musk blend which is still in stock. Ares is also a good manly musk although to me it's more leather. Teacher's Musk is a masculine vanilla musk, as is Thrill of the Chase (but that one is spicier).

Gemini was our take on something similar to classic Jovan Musk.

Babe in the Woods - I know, the title might freak a guy out, but that one is a woody and powdery "skin" musk. It came out more masculine than I intended when I originally brewed it, I think the dudes could totally pull this off. Any other opinions on that? Curious what you gals think.

Ambuscade is a dark patchouli musk, suggested by Hmmb's husband. Quite dry - no sweetness added.

I don't think that he knows enough about fragrance quite yet to pull it off.

um, im not talking 'bout no sugared ;)

a full-blown talk-to-Potionmaster-and-have-a-custom-made MADE!

Potionmaster merely needs the desires of the scent described in detail, me thinks.

Edited by Lor

um, im not talking 'bout no sugared ;)

a full-blown talk-to-Potionmaster-and-have-a-custom-made MADE!

That's rather expensive for a first purchase, though.

Babe in the Woods - I know, the title might freak a guy out, but that one is a woody and powdery "skin" musk. It came out more masculine than I intended when I originally brewed it, I think the dudes could totally pull this off. Any other opinions on that? Curious what you gals think.

Hi Mara - I agree with you on Babe in the Woods. I think most scents can be unisex, except pink sugary blends; for some reason they scream femininity to me! Message in a Bottle and Closer would also be great on men.

Edited by perfumesniffer

I just gave this a sniff with your thought in mind, and I think you're right!!

Then again, I would love just about everything you make on a dude, except *possibly* things with rose. Maybe.

• 1 year later...

Are there any LP pheromone mixes with real musk, something like the first commercial pheromone product Jovan Andron?

Or do we Americans still have to get real musk from France and the Middle East?

I'm pretty sure Mara uses artificial for musk, about the only thing she use artificial things for.

I'd have to double check again, but I've been wearing Shelly B's Winter Sweater off and on this week and I think it could be quite unisex. I'd have to double check but just in case, it is still available on artfire.

"A wintery scent: lovers snuggling in front of a roaring fire...Smokey woods mixed with the scent of Autumn leaves. Holiday candles flicker on the mantle...Cranberry and orange, clove and spice. And the scent of warm skin under a sexy woolly sweater...white Musk, Civit and Ambergris. A captured moment in a bottle."

I don't get the fruit. It turns out to be just musk, maybe I can tell the civit and ambergris just a tad, and then some spice and just a very clean (not soapy) but wonderful skin smell. Probably one of the few perfumes I really like that wears closely. I normally don't go for sheer and don't think I'd consider this to be that, it's just, well, better than any skin smell I've smelled while yet being a skin smell :)

Or do we Americans still have to get real musk from France and the Middle East?

Primarily, yes; most fragrance creators use analogues here.

about the only thing she use artificial things for.

That's not true; "artificial" isn't a bad thing, a lot of accords have to be created artifically and many "natural" ingredients aren't always the best for perfumery for various reasons.

Are there any LP pheromone mixes with real musk, something like the first commercial pheromone product Jovan Andron?

That was a classic. I had girlfriend who loved that cologne.

Ah, gotcha. I thought for some reason that almost all of the scent notes were naturally based or something.

Unfortunately,. the chemists have yet to replicate real musk on a commercial scale and the synthetic "musks" lack the biological stimulation of the real thing.

The synthetics can smell nice, but they are not the equal of the natural musk deer pheromone.

Welcome, Whitehall!

I was just going to ask you which kind of natural musk you were after, because there are so many varieties, from so many animals. So, it's deer musk you are after. I do not have any right now, but from what I understand, the closest smell in nature to deer musk is musk ambrette, which is a seed. It's natural, so it may have more of the dimensional quality you are seeking. Have you tried it? Wait till you try my blends, Whitehall...I know how to elicit biological stimulation. :wink2:

Did you actually like the smell of Andron? I was a cosmetic counter girl at the time that came out and I sold a lot of it as a novelty, but no one ever came back for a second bottle of the stuff. I recall that the promo for it boasted the inclusion of pheros derived from pig sweat. Amazing that was 30 years ago!

Just looked it up on Basenotes, here's the listed ingredients for Andron, for the curious....

Top Notes - Fresh, Green and Citrus

Middle Notes - Sandalwood, Patchouli, Woody Notes

Base Notes - Civet, Musk, Ambergris, Castoreum, Androstenol [Pheromone]

• 2 weeks later...