Love Potion®: Winter Variant 2011

katz

"A very verduous Limited Edition variant of our signature Love Potion® fragrance created especially for seasonal slathering! A soft winter white base of vanilla, amber and patchouli is festooned with a garland of holiday greenery - mistletoe, bayberry and hollyberry - grounded with Green Musk and sprinkled with fluffy powdered sugar. As with all our Love Potion® creations this is sure to inspire all manner of Yule yearning in the one you love!"

Have you ever sat there with a new vial of LP goodness, just admiring the label, and not able to OPEN it for the hope that the stuff inside is as beautiful as you're hoping? This was me today... I literally sat there with the gorgeous Mucha print label in my hands for 5 minutes...just looking, hoping.

I mean, you can't love them ALL, right? You just hope that you find the ones that sync with your head and heart. In my head I've I've set aside my other tentative purchases. In my heart I've proposed to it several times over!

This will NOT be for everyone. There's a slight astringency from the greenery...there's a definite taste of patchouli. Together they may not make music on your skin, but oh my heavens. What this one does for me is the best of LP magic. It's soft, elegant, and nesty. No, I don't know what that means but it is something I want to nuzzle into and stay with like an Angora scarf. I'm in complete love with LPWV 2011!

This reminds me somewhat of LP Silver it that there's a lighter quality to the base, although I can smell the base better in the vial. On my skin the greenery is the most prominent quality and as katz noted, it has somewhat of an astrigent quality to it, and then it kind of moves into "green patchouli" territory. But underneath that is a smooth creamy sort of aura, which is the characteristic we know and love. But you really have to give this one time to evolve before you judge it, I think. It does have a winter feel to it, but in a different way than past variants.

Mmmmmmm, one of my favorite smells during the Christmas season is evergreen, and I get a lot of greenery with this. It's almost too much if you're not a fan of greenery, but don't be scared!! After a couple of minutes, that yummy creamy LP scent comes out, and the whole blend is just incredible. It smells slightly masculine on me, but in such a way that I don't mind it. It's still early, but I imagine the vanilla will really come out on this and I won't be able to stop huffing it!

The closest scent I can compare this too is Lucky In Love Potion #7, but it really doesn't smell like it at all. There is a note that goes to plastic on me, like LP #7 did, but than the evergreen, patchouli & vanilla come to the front. This patchouli had my nose glued to my arm sniffing. I'll have to test it solo to pick apart the scent properly. I love it, but I think it wants to see other people :lol:

Yeah there's a little plastic-y thing happening to me too, but still it's so intriguing, that mix of the sharp greenery with the creamy notes. It's true, though, there's really no comparison between this one and the other LP green variants because this is seasonal-specific. I do think one of our forum fellas should wear it to see how it turns out on them.

Edited by luna65

Swiped some on to SO the other day. A guy can totally rock this. I think I've been interpreting the green notes as "plastic" on my skin, they come out on the sweeter side of masculine on SO. At the end it got too sweet for his liking, but I thought it still smelled good him.

Not a huge "pine" fan, but Katz review convinced me to at least try a sample. Really hoping to like this one :)

hmm...unusual, but VERY intriguing

wet, yup....pine-y, but there's no pine in it, not overwhelming, sort of teasing, like psst...come here, ssssmmmmeelllll ME, must be the mistletoe. As it dries, musk and patchouli linger in the background w/ a kiss of sweetness.

darn, gotta wash off my scent for the day and def put this on over Lumina (LUV, LUV, LUV that stuff)

Edited by liz

• 2 weeks later...

I got my goodies today, so of course I exercised absolutely no restraint and put on 4 perfumes at once...plus dots of a few others, to tell the truth. But 4 good swatches to test--2 on each arm. This was one of them. I love it to pieces! It's like...well....we've got some short-needled firs or pines or some such on the mountain, and there are some babies out in the forest in back of our house. Sometimes when I walk out there, I'll rub my hands through the trees or the undergrowth, and snoof my heart out. When I started snoofing my arm with LPWV on it, I immediately saw a specific fir sapling! And it smelled like it was sprinkled with sugar! LOVE! Now, I will soon give it a proper wearing, but fresh from the post office, and competing with other scents? YUM already!!! :love592:

• 2 weeks later...

You wouldn't think the richer elements of LP original would blend so well with evergreens, but they do! This is a play of contrasts--the warm amber, vanilla and patchouli of the original juxtaposed with the crisp wintry mistletoe, bayberry, and hollyberry--that just works so well. I get both the warm and cool aspects as it dries dries but rather than each standing alone and making the scent discordant, they merge together seamlessly. There is also a winter berry quality from the two berries in there, fruity but still frosted. I think what really ties this whole thing together and makes me unable to stop sniffing it is the green musk. It's not one of those heavy smutty musks (which I've sadly discovered can sometimes go to plastic on my skin) but recognizable as that key element from LP green, that somehow manages to combine warm musky and cool verdant aspects to a really sensual end. The sugar note sprinkles it with a bit of additional sweetness to round everything out. If you like LP Green I suggest you pounce on this one, because at least to my nose it's the winter version of that. Gorgeous!

Edited by Invidiana

:yeahthat::thumbup::lol2: Invidiana, you SAID it--and much better than I could!!! I haven't snoofed LP Green, but I have and adore Lucky in Love Potion #7, and also OCCO Green. There is a quality of both that is also in LP Winter Variant. This is a beautiful, well-blended, comfortable scent. It wears fairly close to my skin. I want MORE. :heart::heart::heart:

• 3 weeks later...

This reminds me of the male version of LP Green. I get manly greens and musk, wet there was a tinge of vanilla but it dried down quickly into a flat green musk. Very nice, smells like sexy aftershave and a cabin with candles and a fire burning. I totally thought about ElzabethSOP on this one and picture her or her hubby rockin this one around the woods.

Maybe even a bit like Unisexy only more green and musky. This one would be great for men or woman that don't like their scents to morph. This one is all sexy man and it stays sexy man. There are no surprise turns or twists. It's sexy greens and musk in a bottle and I bet this would smell pounce worthy on a man!

I was so afraid of the greenery in this...having experienced some other places' coniferous greens which were pointy and bitter :/ BUT THIS!! I have not been able to keep my nose out of the crook of my arm. It's so addictive. It keeps changing. At no pont did it smell like a wreath or fresh cut tree. It doesn't feel manly with my chemistry at all. The aura-wafts of it that I get have been consistent- surprisingly, an expensive department store kind of vibe, floral and conservative - but direct sniffs have varied from LP LUCKY #7! to LP SILVER! to LP GREEN! It's complex and grownup, "cool" not "warm" like LP O...hard to nail down and I love it.

• 8 months later...

I revisited this one today. It still smells beautiful on me! I still get that initial feel of the baby evergreens, and then the creaminess of the other notes come in. It's very much *of the mountain* for me. My only regret is that it fades sooner than I'd like. But I'm GOOD with reapplying. Hee! Back in January I was considering getting a spray of this amped with a phero, but I never did. I'm thinking about that again. It's such a GOOD scent for this time of year! I'm also wondering if my skin would hold the scent a little longer if it was in a spray. Does anyone have an opinion on that...? :w00t:

Spray perfumes usually evaporate faster than the oils. But this one, as a winter perfume, is made for cold weather and I could imagine that it would work very well as a spray.

I keep thinking I'd love to spray it in my hair. Maybe with a phero like TeddyBB, or Mother's Little Helper, or even SS4W. Do you think it'd work that way, snowflake? This is such a pretty scent. I'd forgotten just how much I like it! Edited by ElizabethOSP

Mmm. Got this one out because Elizabeth reminded me and it is nippy out right now. This is sooo good. Better than I remembered. I think the only time I like green notes are in the Christmas scents. I guess it is evergreen?! I don't remember what is in this. But I love this with the dusty vanilla and patch. Stocking Stuffer is the other piney type Christmas thing that I like.

Personally I wouldn't boost it with Teddy BB because it is not relaxing TO ME, but everyone gets a different sense from scents! The greens WAKE ME UP! I think it is the perfect upbeat winter scent.

I keep thinking I'd love to spray it in my hair. Maybe with a phero like TeddyBB, or Mother's Little Helper, or even SS4W. Do you think it'd work that way, snowflake? This is such a pretty scent. I'd forgotten just how much I like it!

I think SS4W would go very well with this scent. I always like spraying phero-perfume sprays in my hair. The diffusion is always great.

Mmm. Got this one out because Elizabeth reminded me and it is nippy out right now. This is sooo good. Better than I remembered. I think the only time I like green notes are in the Christmas scents. I guess it is evergreen?! I don't remember what is in this. But I love this with the dusty vanilla and patch. Stocking Stuffer is the other piney type Christmas thing that I like.

Personally I wouldn't boost it with Teddy BB because it is not relaxing TO ME, but everyone gets a different sense from scents! The greens WAKE ME UP! I think it is the perfect upbeat winter scent.

I think SS4W would go very well with this scent. I always like spraying phero-perfume sprays in my hair. The diffusion is always great.

:heart: Thanks, Ladies! I'm now thinking seriously of SS4W with it. :)

• 2 months later...

This has mellowed with age, for me anyway; doesn't change as much and is even smoother, 3 dimensional and more conventionally feminine than before. The greenery feels more floral than green. It's quite grown up and Fancy. I have it on with someone else's buttery vanilla and it's a splendid combo. Pure win, may need a bottle

I've been wearing it a good bit, too - 'tis the season. This, and Ho Ho Ho! and Ghost of Christmas Past. The greens are very evergreeny to me now, but yes, it's mellower than it was and I like it better.

And fwiw, it seems like if I moisturize my breasts with argan oil (my cleavage being my preferred perfume application area), the scent lasts longer. If I moisturize, then use Mara's silicone roller stuff, THEN apply the perfume, it stays and stays.

• 2 weeks later...

I got a free sniffie of this in my last order and it's very very pretty. I think I was curious about the LP's before, but never actually ordered any (except #9)... and this makes me more curious about how all these LP's are supposed to be based on the same ingredients with variations.

I like how this is very light, and yes greeny without being your typical sweet green-y scent.

Oh My Goodness! I didn't like this one when it first came out & traded off my bottle. I swiped my sample vial earlier out of curiosity & this is heavenly now! A common mistake, let your bottles age before you decide & get rid of them. I really need to get another bottle of this.

• 5 months later...

Today this went on very creamy dreamy vanilla candy with a not-ripe-peach freshness. In drydown the greenery is peeking out but again remains NOT literal - just more freshness. wonderfufl for summer, actually!

• 4 months later...

This has some real throw after application, WOW.

GREEN, WE'RE SO TOTALLY UNMISTAKABLY GREEN! It shouts at me. It quickly calmed down on me tho, its all spruce tips and christmasy green now :o

Some serious Christmas vibe, I'm not sure what to think of it since it didn't last very long on me :I