Ethics, Baking et Tu. (But really moi)

I was debating this in the shower (when all my deepest thoughts and most random ideas occur, naturally): would it be ethical or considered cheating to use pheromones to win - née, gain the edge in - a competition?

Specifically in the context of baking, I was thinking along the lines of spritzing the plates - with Perfect Match perhaps - before serving the food on them.

Since pheromones can't activate any ideas that aren't already there, only emphasize... I really don't know, seems kind of a grey area to me and wonder what the consensus is? Conversely, the judges may be in danger of falling in love with the silverware.

Also, would that be considered a health hazard? While it's not directly on the food, it is essentially being served on a plate of pheros. I didn't think so, but definitely good to be sure. No one wants their dessert associated "with that guy who turned a rich tapestry of colours outside before showing us his insides". That, I think, would be the opposite of winning.

Any input, thoughts, ideas, all appreciated.

Also, would that be considered a health hazard?

I would say so, at the very least. But wearing them yourself in order to increase your perceived value isn't that much different than any other way people attempt to gain an edge, IMO. In the end it's still going to be all about your ability, right?

In the end it's still going to be all about your ability, right?

Ha, indeed! If a dish sucks it's still going to suck no matter how it's dressed. Fact.

That's not even a little bit of a concern for me, but with $25,000 on the line in each category (or $250,000 if one snags the grand prize) I'm not surprised my brain's analyzing every little variable it can.

Sending you good luck!

But NO SPRITZING THE PLATES!

Or you might be sending people to the hospital.

The food must smell amazing already, but when we would do public shows, we'd use a warmer to disperse our aromas and draw people toward our booth.

OMG ARE YOU IN TOP CHEF???

Dialing in right now to select you as fan favorite!!!!

PS - Empathy potion is kind of like mind reading juice- It helps you perceive and understand what people want from you - in a competition might work... or POP potion. Pop makes you all rock starry.

OMG ARE YOU IN TOP CHEF???

Dialing in right now to select you as fan favorite!!!!

PS - Empathy potion is kind of like mind reading juice- It helps you perceive and understand what people want from you - in a competition might work... or POP potion. Pop makes you all rock starry.

*Laughs* No, 'fraid not. I'm going to be auditoning for Recipe to Riches on the Food Network Canada. Thanks for the vote of confidence though!

Ooh, Pop's a good idea too! I don't think contestants themselves ever get too close to the judges but maybe a wide aura effect will be positive. Hmm...how about swipping the underside of the dish? (Kidding! ...Mostly.) Empathy would be moot at this stage since applicants have to come prepared, very blind into the lion's den sort of way. Most I can do is watch previous episodes and see what I can gleen about the judge's personal tastes from that.

Honestly, I'm not even that bothered whether I win or not (I wouldn't mind, of course, but I would be surprised). From my end, I'm looking at it like a business opportunities; what can be done with the exposure one gets by default on a show like this and seeing how far I can take it - if at all.

Edited by Toronto Sol

I wore POP to a political event for work.. and everyone was crowded around me while I told a tale of a donkey show in TJ.

I was a super star and everyone kept telling my boss how much they loved me. You should totally wear POP, but skip the raunchy donkey show TJ story.. that only works on dirty conservative old men.

I accidently tasted a phero once, just the residual on my skin...you don't want it near your food, especially in a food competition.

Me too - gad it was awful.

I wore POP to a political event for work.. and everyone was crowded around me while I told a tale of a donkey show in TJ.

I was a super star and everyone kept telling my boss how much they loved me. You should totally wear POP, but skip the raunchy donkey show TJ story.. that only works on dirty conservative old men.

I think I am in love ... and not with the donkey.

Seriously though Toronto - good luck. We are proud of you no matter what the outcome.

Yeah I didn't think you were an ass man. lol

LMAO

But you are right, I do tend to have udder interests.

Edited by quietguy

We go from pretty food to tits and ass. Every single time. I love LP.

But mom, she started it ....lol!

You left LadyV speechless!

I was speechless for a moment when I saw that. Then I was afraid there would be a tear in the firmaments ... it just must be an off day for LadyV.

Oh it was an off day for me yesterday.. don't worry I won't let you be ' head' of the class for too long...

As long as the lady lets me lead when we dance, I will happily acquiesce in other areas ...

We can dance if we want to.

Better not be leaving your friends behind ;)

LOL - very funny - I had completely forgotten that one ...

Thanks for the advice, team! Heh, don't worry, it's definitely ingrained in me now: food + pheros = NO. Guess I'll just have to do the usual solshine and shake all the hands, etc. In the mean time I've the weekend to tweak and perfect this recipe before submitting and hoping to be called for the audition stage.

Now back to your regularly scheduled ass-talk.

Good luck with the competition. Let us know how it goes.

And try not to be a smart-ass.