Non-human pheromone products

One of my kitties (Tanuki, of "Cow Print Kitty" fame) has been having a lot of bladder problems for her short life. Today, after an emergency trip to the vet (not her first), the vet pretty much ruled out everything that could be causing it except stress. Now, I run a pretty cat-friendly house hold, so the idea of Tanuki being stressed out was not the first thing that came to my mind.

However, there's a new, simple treatment for stressed out cats, called Feliway. It's basically like an air freshener diffuser that you plug into a wall socket, except that instead of an obnoxious fragrance it releases cat pheromones! Specifically, the pheromones mother cats release when they're raising their kittens.

I find it awesome that as a parellel to me using pheromones from LPMP to try to chill myself out a bit, I'm using the very same technology to give my cat a more chilled out, happier life. Let's hope it works!

This is very interesting stuff, never heard of this before...truly amazing...

Your home must be flooded with pheromones, human and feline, so awesome!!

I've heard very good things about Feliway! Can't wait for your report!

Me too :) but never had occasion to use it...has been available for awhile.I even think there is talk about it...somewhere...on this forum :D

We've used it with some success at my rescue "cattery"... sometimes it's enough, sometimes we need to prescribe 'kitty prozac'. But I use them at home myself, along with the Rescue Remedy drops. I'm just starting to use Jackson Galaxy's 'Spirit Essences' in order to try to make my 2 at home compatible. All natural resources...

eta: I understand cat acne can *also* be stress-related, something I didn't know 'till recently...

Edited by katz

Celrynnya & Katz, might these help with an extremely tichy ex-feral? The cat in question is likely mad as a hatter too - waaaay inbred, from a feral colony. The cat is petrified of people and rarely comes out of hiding. He comes out to eat and poop and gets along with the other cat in the house, but if a human comes in, he races for a hiding spot. He will actually sleep on the bed with his human...until the human wakes up. He very rarely lets anyone touch him (but will let the other cat touch him and groom him). The cat has been living in an apartment with his human for almost 6 years. I feel bad for the poor kitty. He definitely does not want to be an outdoor cat, he just doesn't seem to have much quality of life.

That is such a cool idea! My cat gets very stressed when we are not home, she really likes human company and doesn't like being left alone. Maybe this will be just the thing for her! I'll definitely look into it!

Celrynnya & Katz, might these help with an extremely tichy ex-feral? The cat in question is likely mad as a hatter too - waaaay inbred, from a feral colony. The cat is petrified of people and rarely comes out of hiding. He comes out to eat and poop and gets along with the other cat in the house, but if a human comes in, he races for a hiding spot. He will actually sleep on the bed with his human...until the human wakes up. He very rarely lets anyone touch him (but will let the other cat touch him and groom him). The cat has been living in an apartment with his human for almost 6 years. I feel bad for the poor kitty. He definitely does not want to be an outdoor cat, he just doesn't seem to have much quality of life.

Well, Tanuki has certainly settled down and become a lot more smoochy and relaxed since I started using the diffuser. She's even started picking fights less often with her sister. I really do think it's made a difference for her, and I would really recommend it as something to try.

I haven't used Feliway, though I've heard great things about it. My vet recommends it highly. A few days ago, in the midst of the moving-madness, our cats got really stressed and sketched-out, so we used another pheromone spray meant to calm cats, and it worked like a charm.

Ooh... my vet also mentioned that if you can get your Feliway diffuser at a Pet Smart, it's generally much cheaper than buying it through a vet's office.

Yeahh, I've seen it at Petco too. Never tried it tho. I thought about getting one back when I lived with a roommate cause she brought this outdoor cat from her home and tried to make him and indoor cat. I don't know why she decided to do that but he was scared of everything. I almost picked one up, but didn't. He got sick soon after tho and didn't make it, poor guy.