New Releases for MAY 2012

Yeah and Todd Rundgren - who is credited as the producer - was just as responsible for how it sounded and Meat Loaf was - literally - just the mouthpiece. Later Jim would do a producer's record with a girl group concept called Pandora's Box which featured the original version of "It's All Coming Back To Me Now" which Celine Dion later made into a hit. LV - the flipside to that is the awards for Song and Record of the Year (in various categories) go to songwriters and producers. The Artist/Performance awards go to the actual performers.

Oohh I see. I just pay attention to the dancing and outfits when I watch.

• Replies 297
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mara I have a question. The lady from 4 Non Blondes, Linda Perry, I believe. Doesn't she write for everyone ? So why do people like Cristina and Britney and all those pop tarts get Grammys? Aren't their records producer records too? Why do they get the Grammys if they are just singing someone else's songs?

OMG, Linda Perry. She is stunningly talented. I was soooooooo lucky...she agreed to perform at one of the all-star charity benefit concerts I produced in Hollywood. And holy shit, when they soundchecked, the whole place just froze. Everyone was riveted. Glued to the spot, jaws hanging open. She was beyond amazing.

Yeah, there's plenty of people who just make their living as songwriters but not performers. That's never been an issue. In fact, the record industry always preferred it that way. They hated the movement towards bands writing their own material and demanding artistic control. They prefer solo singers that do not write, because the label can retain more control. The record companies have always treated their artists as disposable and replaceable. Building a "pop tart" into a marketable brand/money making machine is the ideal scenario for labels. (However, if you are referring to Christina Aguilera, at least she's truly got a voice. She's the real deal. It's a shame to lump her in with the plastic dolls that have to have their voices pitch corrected electronically and duped 100 times to make it sound halfway decent....Brittany, Jessica, Lyndsay...)

The Grammys are given in a ton of different categories. Writing, producing/engineering, performing, etc. I have always thought it was a flawed judging system regardless, I could never tolerate sitting through an award show because the judges seemed to get it so wrong much of the time. In the 1980's most of the judges were in their 80's, (my music attorney being one of them...um, why?). They eventually got exposed for that, (first award for Best Metal Album, anyone?), and there was a push for people of my generation to join the voting board, and I was invited, but I refused. It was just too aggravating for me.

Makes sense. There's so much that we don't see or understand. At least I don't. I mean, I hardly listen to music because everything sounds the same to me. Some of it is catchy and cool, but I don't really buy anything unless I feel moved by it, emotionally or physically and usually it's from the indie genre like The Sounds or Ladytron. or Spanish music. usually stuff from overseas. I do like that little pop tartlet Demi Lovato though, she has a song right now.. something about a love song. Cute.

Wow, QG, good point. Some bands don't play on their own records AT ALL.

Another producer's record that took a lot of flack during that upheaval was C+C Music Factory. I mean, HELLO, read the friggin title, fer cryin out loud! It was two producers who brought in different singers for different tracks and put out dance records that topped every flippin' chart. (Everybody Dance Now, Things That Make You Go Hmmm, etc.) One of their huge hit videos featured a female singer who wasn't the one actually on the record, so they too got caught up in the "fake band" scandal along with Milli Vanilli. Utter stupidity.

Thank you.

I did not know that album took flack for that reason. Even I knew what the C+C stood for and what they had basically done. The two producers recorded songs and brought in whatever talent they needed to do that.

As far as music videos go, I just assume they are as close to reality as the X Files. Well, actually I do believe some of the things on X Files might be real, so that is a bad exxample.

I guess what does bother me is when they feel compelled to use "prettier" (male or female) singers for videos or touring.

It's a shame to lump her in with the plastic dolls that have to have their voices pitch corrected electronically and duped 100 times to make it sound halfway decent....Brittany, Jessica, Lyndsay...

You must have heard different songs than I did. I assumed they forgot to do the pitch electronic fixing on their songs I have heard.

Edited by quietguy

I do like that little pop tartlet Demi Lovato though, she has a song right now.. something about a love song. Cute.

That is Selena Gomez I think ...

Yeah I was thinking that too unless it's a different song. But QG's right if it's the "I Love You Like A Love Song" one.

I got my trial pack of Bohemian Cats today, and OCCO Ambrosia and Glass Slipper samples. I'm stuffed up, though, with sinus and allergies, may have to wait to sniff & review.

Mara, I love the paw print bag!

Edited by perfumesniffer

So much for leaving LPs within reach of doggies - they didn't open or destroy them, but I came home to all my new samples strewn about the living room. Man, I wanted to be the first one to take them out of the bags and sniff! Heart's Ease has chew marks on the cap so I guess it gets the canine thumbs up.

were there ever any PEs this month ? and if so, listed ?

did I miss it ?

were there ever any PEs this month ? and if so, listed ?

did I miss it ?

Sea Find and Rosie's Wedding Cake were the only ones listed this month. Mara did mention she has some "treasures" she'll release from the vault in June....

I just want to say WOW! I just got my may collection and pretty much love everything in it. Eternal sunshine is too masculine for my tastes, but I'm going to try to get my husband to wear it; I think I would love it on him. Other than that, I seriously will wear and love all of them. I often don't go for monthly sample packs because inevitably I only like few predictable scent types. I'm glad I gambled on this one!

I will try to get around to reviewing everything as I test it.