Hello from rainy Seattle...

teacozy

Just placed my first order - 9 different samplers and a bottle of La Femme Mystere.

Ladies, your rave reviews totally sold me here!

Samplers include: Spring Equinox 2011, Pouncing Potion, The Perfumed Whisker, Darling Catalina, Kitten Nip, Cuddle Bunny, 3 of Pears, Red Lace, and DAD for men (for my sweetie).

I've used another brand of unscented pheros off and on for the past decade, but the forums convinced me that I had to try LPMP. Not only are the individual ingredients listed, but the variety of scents available is wonderful! I love candy scents, and my sweetheart likes fruits, so I'm hoping the selection above will have something in it that we both enjoy. Can't wait for the mail to arrive...

Thank you all!!

Hi Teacozy, and welcome! My future sister-in-law actually lives in Seattle! If you like tea (as your name implies), try to get over to Kent and go to Xiu Xian Tea......GREAT stuff!

Enjoy your new smellies!!!!

Hi Teacozy! Welcome to the forum! You might want to try LP Pink as it is a grownup candy scent. Anyway, thee are plenty of candy and fruity scents here so you'll be truly spoilt!

The scent I have worn the most during the past few years is the cologne Blue Sugar By Aquolina. Pink Sugar was a bit too sweet. Have tried a bunch of others, but keep coming back to that one. I think it is the caramel and vanilla... Smells like a slightly musky cotton candy.

I think I am the most excited to try out Darling Catalina and Red Lace? I know my sweetie has a good reaction to alpha androstenedione (he is a chatty Kathy anyways, that phero makes him more playful while he's gabbing) so I think those will be winners.

Also looking forward to 3 of pears... It sounds fruity, but with maple and pecan?

Thank you for the warm welcome!

Hi Teacozy! Welcome to the forum!!

Can't wait to read your reviews on LFM and Red Lace...3 of Pears, is one I've been wanting to sample too, hope you like it!

I love Aquolina's Pink Sugar and Pink Sugar Sensual, but I've always wanted to try Blue Sugar, I've read it wears wonderfully well on women and men too...I've always imagined it smells like Blue Cotton Candy, hehe...

Have lots of fun with your pretties!

The scent I have worn the most during the past few years is the cologne Blue Sugar By Aquolina. Pink Sugar was a bit too sweet. Have tried a bunch of others, but keep coming back to that one. I think it is the caramel and vanilla... Smells like a slightly musky cotton candy.

Oh, I think you'll like Spinnerett! Read the description:

http://www.lovepotionperfume.com/perfumerie/potion/Spinnerett/

Well we could definitely borrow some of the Seattle freeze in this hot humid oven also known as New Jersey. :lol:

Teacozy, you will love Spinerett if you're a Blue Sugar fan. And Pkitty I love your avi! I'm a big fan of Ida Outhwaite's work.

Well we could definitely borrow some of the Seattle freeze in this hot humid oven also known as New Jersey.

I don't think you would want the "freeze". That's the local term to describe the aloof and standoffishness of the locals. Basically, if you aren't from around here, it is very hard to make new friends. The locals here are all 'too cool' to need new friends. My sweetie and I have made a few friends in the 2 years since we moved out here... They're all transplants too. Only know one local who has actually been interested in socializing. They are a very strange breed out here!

The grossest local term is the 'Tacoma Aroma', which is this gross combination of high tide rottenness, and waste product from the paper mills in Tacoma/Payullup. You learn pretty quickly to go to internal air circulation if you have to drive thru that part of the state.

Edited by teacozy

I am a lifelong resident of Seattle and Ithought the seattle freeze referred to the weather LOL! I don't think that Seattlites thing they are too cool to need new friends, no it more like we are really nice but only let people in so far. IMO it's because of the frontier background of the state. People came as far west as they could and WA was one of the last fully settled territories. People moved for the wide open spaces and our local culture is somewhat aloof. But not because of a sense of coolness, but I think more a sense of introversion.

I've lived here my whole life and experience this same thing but more with transplants than with people born and raised here. Maybe the transplants are like that because they are just that: transplants so they have more of a transient attitude about where they live. it isn't home to them. What do you think?

I don't know. One local whom I go to lunch with pretty frequently is from north of Everett. He is so laid back and awesome that I don't think he has it in him to be "too cool" like alot of other locals I've met. His family were definitely not Seattle or Eastside types, tho. I think they have a bunch of farming property, and it sounds like his town is very rural compared to the Olympia-Seattle metroplex.

Another local co-worker whom I've spent more time with the last few weeks grew up in Bellevue. He says he's spent his entire life trying to grow away from the "Seattle" mindset, and he's the one who really summed up the "too cool" in addition to the "don't want new friends with new problems" aspect of the freeze.

I live on the far side of Redmond in a much more rural area than Seattle too. And my next door neighbors have been here since the 60's. They told us during 4th of July 2 years ago (right after we moved in, when we obviously didn't know anyone) that there have been successive waves of "immigrants" to the area since they settled here in the 60's. They had a list of problems with every single wave, including the dot come wave, and how it's always the people who move into the State who bring problems.

They moved into the state in the 60's. I would bet money that they hold the same attitude as the folks who preceeded them.

I'm not saying it's bad, per se. It's just very distinctive. I've lived all over the country, with the exception of the southwest and rocky mountain states. The folks here are definitely a unique blend of people... but I don't know if you can attribute it to frontier background... I think it's something else.

Are you from Seattle, or from the outskirts, or from outside of the "metroplex". I have two friends who are from Spokane, WA and they have also experienced the "freeze". It definitely seems to be a West of the Cascades, Seattle based kind of thing. Like I said, my friend who's from north of Everett doesn't display these tendencies... But he isn't from the metropolitan area.

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Seattle%20Freeze

I'm from rural New England and there are definitely some old families there... Our next door neighbor growing up lives on property that has belonged to his family for over 300 years. The roads and hills are all named after a core group of families who still live there. They are very "New England", cold, aloof, abrupt and fast talking. If you haven't lived in town for at least 3 generations they'll still consider you a "flatlander". People joke that you can still feel their Puritan roots. If it's a taboo subject, or was generations ago... folks simply don't talk about it. It's a "what goes on behind closed doors" is not yours or my business kind of thing.

That said, they hold regular town socials and events, and if you contribute to the town (bake sales, fund raising auctions, etc. which is expected), you can earn their respect. There is alot of wheeling and dealing in rural communities, and you don't have to be friends to be strong allied aquaintences. They will extend a social invitation, even if it kills them, because it's the proper thing to do, even if they don't actually enjoy your company. They can make their dislike of you evident in other ways, some obvious like not helping you out of the ditch if you hit black ice, or even blatantly shunning (including deliberately not selling wares to you if you're trying to purchase an item in a store) to more blatant back woods ways of covertly driving the unwanted off.

Totally gross example here - I overheard one old coot hold a completly serious conversation once about dropping a porcupine down the well of a flatlander who had wronged him financially. Dropping a porcupine down a well is about the worst thing you can possibly do to someone. The dead carcass will perminantly contaminate the water, and you can't go down the well to retrieve the body because the quills will stick you and you will get infected and sick. It is a serious threat to anyone who owns an older farmstead with access to an open wellhead, even if it has been covered with a modern wellcap and pump.

New Englanders may kill you with kindness, but they're still going through the motions of civility.

Then again, my Sweetie likes to remind me that the rest of the United States views New England the way we view people from Maine. If you've ever met someone from Maine, they're usually a little... odd. The phrase folks use the most to explain that goes something like this:

"Well, they are from Maine. You know, there's something in the water over there..."

My Sweetie says that's the way the rest of the country sees people from New England. So my opinion doesn't necessarily count for much.

Also, the Seattle Freeze is way better than a porcupine down the well. It may be strange since everyone here is "new", when you look at the history of the most of the rest of the world. But at least Seattle folks don't seem deliberately mean and vindictive. They're just... distant.

O_O

Edited by teacozy

I love to visit Seattle, not enough sun for permanent residency for me though.

However, I cannot WAIT to threaten someone with a porcupine down their well!!!!

Don't do it! People will look at you funny, and then keep their distance from there on out. Doesn't matter how pretty you smell or nice you are... They'll still think you're a nutter from that point on. It is way too alien and hillbilly for most folks.

Sometimes I use a country turn of phrase like that around my sweetie, and he has to remind me it isn't safe for regular consumption outside our household.

Regarding Seattle... When it is nice here, it is absolutely beautiful. When it isn't nice, no amount of vitamin D supplements can make up for the dreariness. But when it is nice.... It is fantastic. Did I say beautiful? Pretty obvious why folks stay.. When it can get so spectacularly fantastic and beautiful... Crystal clear blue skies, green as far as the eyes can see, surrounded in every direction by the lovely Cascade mountain range, and the absolutely perfect temperature... During the 2 months of summer... Before the 10 months of the rainy season return.

: P

Edited by teacozy

I don't think you would want the "freeze". That's the local term to describe the aloof and standoffishness of the locals. Basically, if you aren't from around here, it is very hard to make new friends. The locals here are all 'too cool' to need new friends. My sweetie and I have made a few friends in the 2 years since we moved out here... They're all transplants too. Only know one local who has actually been interested in socializing. They are a very strange breed out here!

Oh that kind of freeze. Here I am being a complete bubblehead thinking it was the temperature! :lol: Because with the muggy 90s we're having right now we could definitely use a cold front. I can't believe the whole attitude of Seattle is so shitty. I live half an hour from New York, where every other person on the street is a transplant and while I do have to take some bad B&T jokes being from Jersey it usually doesn't get any worse than that. Unless I run into any Rangers fans. Everyone knows the Devils are the pride and joy of Jersey. :666:

Pkitty, are you another Seattle peep? I wonder if there are enough active folks in this area to meet for tea (and swap a few samples) out here. I definitely need to find a home for that 3 of Pears that I'm allergic to... And since I know I will be buying full bottles of Cuddle Bunny and Pouncing Potion, those samples could also be up for grabs...

Should a post like this be in the swap section?

That said, they hold regular town socials and events, and if you contribute to the town (bake sales, fund raising auctions, etc. which is expected), you can earn their respect. There is alot of wheeling and dealing in rural communities, and you don't have to be friends to be strong allied aquaintences. They will extend a social invitation, even if it kills them, because it's the proper thing to do, even if they don't actually enjoy your company. They can make their dislike of you evident in other ways, some obvious like not helping you out of the ditch if you hit black ice, or even blatantly shunning (including deliberately not selling wares to you if you're trying to purchase an item in a store) to more blatant back woods ways of covertly driving the unwanted off.

That sound like the "Seattle Freeze" in reverse. Here, people will nicely help you out of the ditch, and maybe even get coffee with you, but never any closer than that. My parents still live in the house I grew up in and they STILL don't really know their neighbors (who have also been there for over 35 years) We never did block parties or anything like that. Isn't that weird? My folks are Mid Western and always would complain about people here, only then we didn't' have a name for it. I am still sticking to my frontier theory. Also the fact that with Boeing and Microsoft, it's a very transient place, No one is ever "from" here. But I know what you mean. Keep trying though. I find that If I keep reaching out, it gets better. That is if you don't mind always having to take the initiative. I DO see a trend here with the explosion of MS that there are quite a few uppity folks here on the eastiside. Where I grew up it was sort of bad. Now my old neighborhood is in the heart of the most desirable school district and man it's REALLY bad. This is why my husband and I moved to a more rural setting. We couldn't stand the yuppifacation.

TEACOZY you and I are practically neighbors. I live in "the Valley" If you know what that means. About 30 mins away from you LOL! My husband just returned from Boston today in fact (bus. trip) and said it's a really pretty city.

Edited by Raq On