Love Potion: Original

I love this one. When it first goes on there's an apricot burst, but then it smooths out into a slightly mysterious vanilla creaminess. It's lovely and subtle, like a scent you can wear quite a lot of without seeming slathered in perfume. But it wafts around sweetly for hours.

This is also a great one to wear with other perfumes- to add that touch of Love Potion magick. So far I've tried it with:

Cougar (sweet and sparkly)

LP Black (Om nom nom......)

Caramel Musk (all day people commented that "it smells really good in here")

Encens de Café (rich nommy coffee with a dash of cream)

So charming and versatile. I think I need to get it in a spray bottle too.

ETA: I forgot to say that this perfume really is a love potion- my little black kitty (see avi) gives me lots of extra kitty love every time I wear this. :KITTY_~12:

Edited by vladmyra

• Replies 264
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...

This one seriously reminds me of chewy caramel on a bed of thick fluffy vanilla cream~

LP:original ranks #1 out of the four LP..."colors"? Its a step in the foody direction for me. I also think this is a base for all the other lp variations?

For whatever reason i enjoy slathering this on when its "phero-free-days"

• 3 weeks later...

LP Original been soooo amazing on me lately. Like my chemistry finally "gets" it. And god it's so good! How is it reminding me of vanilla ice cream and caramel?! Maybe it's the amber or something that's making me think caramel... The patch and verbena are hiding. A hint of apricot. I'm mostly getting creamy vanilla and chewy amber drizzled in sugar. I smell delicious right now :)

Edited by hearts

How is it reminding me of vanilla ice cream and caramel?! Maybe it's the amber or something that's making me think caramel... The patch and verbena are hiding. A hint of apricot. I'm mostly getting creamy vanilla and chewy amber drizzled in sugar. I smell delicious right now :)

:hubbahubba:wish I were there!lol! You sound divine! :D

• 2 weeks later...

I've been getting through my LP Original oil so quickly that I ordered a spray. Now I've used it a few times I can honestly say the spray smells even better on me than the oil does. Has anyone else noticed that? It's like the whole body of the scent is released much more quickly, and it does away with the slightly more awkward phase the oil version has on me to start with. It lasts well too, even in the heat here. And I feel happier now I know I've got a lot more to play with before it'll run out. I must never run out of this.

I've been getting through my LP Original oil so quickly that I ordered a spray. Now I've used it a few times I can honestly say the spray smells even better on me than the oil does. Has anyone else noticed that? It's like the whole body of the scent is released much more quickly, and it does away with the slightly more awkward phase the oil version has on me to start with. It lasts well too, even in the heat here. And I feel happier now I know I've got a lot more to play with before it'll run out. I must never run out of this.

And it is always good when you fall in love with one of the scents from the permanent line......they don't ever sell out, and if they do, they are always rebrewed!

I am addicted to LP Black, personally! But, I like it better in oil than in spray (although I DO have both)....

Edited by Dolly

My obsession is Red and I think I like the oil better too but I have and use both...I just wish I had got it in body cream when they were available, I want to be drenched in it!!!

Unfortunately I tried Original again lately and it was just too sweet for me, and the patch didn't come out enough for me like in Red and Honeyed LP.

eta: but I love the LP Original soap!! That smells less sweet and deeper when I lather it up. Must get more.

Edited by missdarlyncherie

I have only the oil...I've gotten so spoiled to the "ease of use" of the little bottles for travel and application that I get just about everything in oil with the exception of a few of the unscented phero social blends. I like Original for the same reason it's not the forerunner for MissD :D - the patch is a subdued background note and it's mainly a floral vanilla and amber for me :)

Edited by NuTrix

• 3 weeks later...

I am loving LP Original....I think I am getting more of the vanilla amber type of scent with some patch over the top. Just a great blend and very versatile to me. I am thinking about getting a few more bottles and at least two pheroed...maybe Bang and Perfect Match. I have worn it with LP Red, LP Black and Occo White...( at different times) and it smells different but great each time. I can see why this is a permanent and very popular scent.

• 2 weeks later...

:huh: I may have to recant my last post...I wore my LP Original today and the patch was more forward than I ever remember! I don't like it any less though :D It's still sweetly floral but I just seem to have noticed the patch a bit more than usual today. So very interesting...

• 3 weeks later...

it always seems impossible but this seems to get even better with every single wearing, even when only a day or two apart. These days it is an unbearably toothsome honey drenched vanilla fudge with no resiny-ness- just a soft pulsingly glowing amber comes and goes if I really look for it. I can't stand it. My bottle is probably i think, about 3 years old or so? this blend IMO really, really, really, really, really, really loves aging.

Edited by tyvey

• 2 months later...

Wow! I have had this little trial vial for years I guess. Tonight when I decided to experiment with my new LFM and I wanted to layer a perfume on with it. I have become boring lately with some of my beloved favorites. I was perusing the Love Potion perfumes, and saw the Original Love Potion. I thought to myself, "I am sure I have a trial vial of that one." Then proceeded to rummage through my treasures. Sure enough, there it was. Now years ago when I first tried this one to be honest,I just felt neutral about it. Well I put it on tonight and I don't know if it is because it aged well or my tastes have changed, but for whatever reason, I thought to myself, "This is just beautiful!" And I think it really is in a soft, subtle, feminine, sexy, way. To my nose and on my skin, it is warm and pretty, very light. It is brilliantly balanced! When I first put it on, I immediately caught the vanilla, but it calmed down fairly fast, stepping aside to allow the lovely but subtle apricot to rise up. Nice! Next, I caught a whiff of a very understated patchouli. Don't be afraid!!! It can really scare me too, but somehow, maybe with a whip and a chair, Mara tamed that baby and it settled in and It blended right on in, sharing the stage respectfully with a very subdued amber. I read that there is rose in it, but it too, must be somehow magically calmly balanced in there along with the greens and verbena which I do not detect. I can NOT believe what I have been missing out on! If I had to compare this one to something, I would say that this is almost like a very lady like version of my beloved Dirty Sexy (OMG!) I have always felt sad that I have not been able to connect with one of the Signature Love Potions, but I am thinking now as I huff my wrist if that I may have finally found my LP potion at last! If I wanted to "dirty this up " a bit, then layering it with some Sugared Honey or better yet, Phero Girl, that would do the trick for me I think. Mara, I am very stubborn and set in my ways with fragrances, and because of that I have for all this time, missed out on this gem. Beautifully done Potion Master, beautifully done! :heart0974:

Edited by Rose Blackthorn

• 3 weeks later...

Ah, how could I not have reviewed this one earlier??

I am thrilled this scent will never go away, because I never ever ever want to be without it. :Emoticons04235:

It's amber, it's honey, a smidge of skin, a sparkle of gold and a whiff of abricot...

Just such a warm, lovely, comfortable scent.

Out of all my Love Potion favorites (the others being Pink and Red, although Black and I are starting to like one another a lot too!) this one is the most comfortable feeling for me.

If I am not sure what my day is going to be like, what I want to smell like, then I will put on Original.

No matter the weather, the circumstances, my mood etc, it ALWAYS works well for me.

• 2 months later...

I can't believe I've been active on this forum for almost a year and I am only testing LP Original for the first time! This is, unsurprisingly, gorgeous: a soft silky creamy vanilla shot through with the "sparkle of gold" ssupytalp describes so perfectly above! I had a stretch where I was trying to find my perfect vanilla scent and tried many things which, while lovely, were not what I had in mind. THIS is what I had in mind.

My only concern was that there was a brief stage where it got a bit plasticky, but that didn't last and now its back to creamy cloudy complex vanilla sweetness. Yum!

I bet this is amazing with Heart and Soul....

Great info Ssup, Rose, and Blackcat!

My 'must try' list is growing and I haven't rec'd 1st shipment yet!

Do y'all usually buy LP Original pre-mixed/ ordered with any phero or cops blends (for those who wear pheros /cops) OR do you find it easier/ more fun to have some 'go to' phero/cops that you layer separately with other fragrances?

Or maybe that's a mixed bag question - just wanting to learn as much as I can prior to next order -trying to make small but good list. I read ingredients in this one - sounds soo yummy. I like vanilla scents and sugar scents a lot. Very rarely I like cleaner scents. Just depends on mood but I guess that's what this is all about.

That said, while posting this, I realize my 'cleaner' scents (I don't have my LPs yet - arrive tomorrow)- like Fresh Brown Sugar - are sweet light foodies. So... just contradicted myself I think. But I also like SJP scent - kinda musky, smoky.

Ok, so I'm definitely going to LOVE trying out all of the LP scents I can. But since LP Original 'birthed' so many of these, may have to order at least 1 trial vial in next order. :Emoticons0804: Description is gorgeous - notes sound yummy.

Oh do try at least a trial vial of it BeachGoddess and just a side note, this one and most of the oils only get better, richer, and more full bodied with time. Some sample vials I have gotten I have just tried, not liked, and stashed away and forgotten about them. A year or more later, when I run into it, I think why not, and try a bit on and OMG! It turns out to have aged into something I adore and is no longer available! :Emoticons04284:So always allow for the aging! As far as the pheros go, you can either have Mara do it, which might be best at first, or you can have some basic pheros on hand in your arsenal, which is excellent too. I personally prefer to pick and choose which pheros I will use with which scent, but that is just my preference. Mara will never steer you wrong though.

Well, Love Potion just gets better with age. So if it doesn't work for you to begin with, let it sit until it does. That being said, I finally got through my spray that I had boosted with Open Windows about 6 moths ago, I had it for about 3 & a half years. Whether or not to buy your pheros & LPs premixed is going to depend on your budget. I prefer to get them premixed, but it's more budget friendly to get them separately.

Hi Beach Goddess, and welcome to the forum!

It's a wonderful and complicated questions, to pre-mix or not! What Becca said is absolutely true, strictly speaking purchasing separately will make your LP budget stretch much further.

That being said, the unscented pheros can only be purchased as samples once a year, and even the samples cost more than the perfume samples. So I often find (and didn't come up with this, it was advice I read on the forum when I got here) that the best way to try out a phero and find out whether it is going to work for me and therefore be worthy of the full bottle investment, is to try it first in one of Mara's phero-enhanced LPs. And right now, between the April/May Totem collection, the June LP collection, and the new July NRs, you should be able to find samples with just about anything you want to try!

That being said, there have also been times when I have fallen in love with a particular scent and felt pulled to go ahead and invest in a boosted bottle. It's not always practical, but sometimes it's what happens. :-) I could in fact see it happening with LP Original and Heart & Soul!

And Rose, yes, LP Original is a delight! I can't believe I've missed it all this time! So glad it's in the permanent collection, because yeah, that falling in love with something only after it's sold out can be such a heartbreak. Glad I can count on a bottle of this!

• 1 month later...

it's been so long since i've smelled a 'fresh' 'baby' LPO. Just got a new bottle and it is SOOOOO DELIGHTFULLY FROOOTY. Very very bright fresh barely ripe apricot. later in drydown a sunny buttery summer honey comes out and warms it up. But still mostly apricot. So greedy but I love having my very old LPO *and* this fresh one ... they're like two different noms.

AD-LovePotionOriginal.jpg

VANILLA ~ Extraordinary aphrodisiac, inspires happiness, playfulness, sexual arousal, lust, vitalizing, familial sense memories, soothing, nurturing, comforting.
AMBER ~ Fertility, love, luck, immortality, riches.
APRICOT ~ Love, love, love, romance, passion, femininity.
PATCHOULI ~ Sensual, sexually stimulating, lust, fertility, virility.
ROSE ~ Self confidence, strong aphrodisiac properties, attracts affection and love, fertility, divination/clairvoyance.
VERBENA ~ Everlasting love, mood lifting, makes one attractive to the opposite sex.

I'm on a new label posting kick today, plus I wanted to share about how wonderful this gets, the longer it ages. My first bottle, (when it was still sold in the 1/4th oz size), smells like a delicious, buttercream frosted cake. Not that gross commercial buttercreme frosting, but like my homemade buttercream! I think I bought this bottle in 2010? Anyway, it is amazing.

Edited by Beccah

I have waited for some time to review LP Original. Initially because I got so entrenched in all the other wonderful fragrances that Mara has offered, but for me, THIS review had to be soulfully felt and reflected upon before writing it. LPO was and is, for me, something much larger and hard to describe.

I ordered a sample on a whim, after LOTS of other things. Kind of like I felt it was my due diligence, if you will. What transpired is something I humbly admit I never expected - to totally fall completely and unexpectedly in love with a fragrance that defies description for me. Love Potion Original is an aphrodisiac, no doubt, but for me it's so much more. It's centering, grounding, empowering.... willful abandon, release and acceptance - but all at once. It is beautiful, pure, esoteric and transparent. It magically reminds me that what I AM is enough. And for that alone I am ever so grateful for it and the LP Master, Mara.

The first time I wore it I felt like I was wrapped in a fragrance that transcended time & space. I felt like Jane Seymour in "Somewhere in Time" but I could just as easily be Bella Swan in any Twilight episode. I don't "get" it, as I love SO many LPs, but this fragrance brings it all "home" to me. IMO LPO should be required curriculum when joining LP.

In 6 short months I have accrued FAR more LPs than I ever thought I would, yet, in a matter of a few short weeks I have quite unintentionally blown through nearly a full bottle of LPO. And although NEW 2014 was stiff competition , I know that LPO will hold the record as the first LP I legitimately ran out of in record time, and perhaps just as important, I cannot EVER be without.

If I had to pick one scent (and one only) to live on a desert island with, it would be LPO. No hesitations.

Edited by LoveStruck

It magically reminds me that what I AM is enough.

LoveStruck, that was a beautiful review!! The line I picked out above tells me......maybe the Love Potion worked on YOU.......making you love YOURSELF.

Wow LS :Emoticons04284: That was just.... beautiful! :bday1029:

Thank you, NuTrix... I'll never forget how it was your posts that helped me navigate the LP site during my first 72 hours on the forum! All that reading got me firmly entrenched as a new Love Potion groupie :)

LoveStruck, that was a beautiful review!! The line I picked out above tells me......maybe the Love Potion worked on YOU.......making you love YOURSELF.

Wow Dolly. This means a lot coming from you, thank you. I think you may be right, actually. That was the last thing I did last night! I was completely spent, but as I got ready for bed I noticed that last, faint whiff of the LPO I'd put on earlier. I grabbed my tablet and definitely wrote from my heart (my head was ready to hit the pillow). The mere fact that Love Potion Original could evoke inspiration amid exhaustion really IS magic.

:LIKE:

Thanks Eggers and Hearts! As Dolly inferred, I must've been lusting after my bad self last night because I re-read my post and I say N O T H I N G about Apricot or Amber or Patch or Vanilla, etc. nor do I make any other 'scent' references, LOL. I guess reviews are supposed to include those things (and I usually do) but after wearing it all day, then taking my final "goodnight" whiff, I guess I was just trippin' on a buttload of EFX from the Magick Potion part :Emoticons0086:

If I have to (technically) whiff and think about it, I do smell all those wonderful notes in Love Potion Original at different times - and the irony is that I'm not usually crazy about a few of these notes on their own. BUT (for me anyways...) the EFX LPO has on my chemistry (and the resulting mindset) is so much more than just the olfactory experience. Like a fusion of the scent with who I am. GAWD I sound like a nut job don't I?! *feeling embarrassed here* :blushing:

Suffice to say, that's what I meant when I said LPO is a fragrance that "brings it all home" for me - meaning the whole love of the LPMP ride... Speaking of "home", that's why I posted LPO in the Wax Melts Wanted thread, lol. I just can't bring myself to even waste a DROP of my LPO in my oil diffuser, no matter how badly I may want my house to emanate LP Original!

Beach Goddess, you seem to be following in my newbie steps and have fallen for many of the same things I have recently... follow my advice and DON'T wait months to try LPO like I did! And if for SOME reason it doesn't work for you - I will be in the wings waiting to take it off your hands (not that I wouldn't have plenty of competition - you can tell by this thread that this is one helluva scent - there's a reason it is the flagship LP) If I had a sample I would gladly send it to you - but I had to dump my sample vial into my LPO bottle because (as I admitted) I'm nearly out already! :o

ETA: I'd like to know from you seasoned forum members if and what you've boosted LP Original with before (for instance, I know Beccah said she had it with OW and Blackcat mentioned pairing it with H&S) and how you liked it. I love phero/fragrance blends, but now that I'm more comfortable with their use I actually like having the UNs so that I can layer them with my favorite LPs. The next UN I've been considering is Lace... and I wondered how it might work with LP Original. Maybe I can get my girly romantic Jane Seymour ("Somewhere in Time") on. :3d-prom-queen:

Input always welcomed and appreciated from youz guyz :hearts0425:

Edited by LoveStruck

That was an amazing review LoveStruck! By complete coincidence this is the scent I chose to try today from the sampler I ordered, and when I came on here and saw your review I was nodding and smiling away! It is absolutely gorgeous.

If I have to (technically) whiff and think about it, I do smell all those wonderful notes in Love Potion Original at different times - and the irony is that I'm not usually crazy about a few of these notes on their own. BUT (for me anyways...) the EFX LPO has on my chemistry (and the resulting mindset) is so much more than just the olfactory experience. Like a fusion of the scent with who I am. GAWD I sound like a nut job don't I?! *feeling embarrassed here* :blushing:

You do not sound like a nutjob. You do sound smitten, but it's completely justified ;)

This one has been changing on me a lot through the day, so it's hard to even write a review based on the notes...one hour changes subtly to the next, then from air conditioned house out in the 90 degree heat and back in again, it changes not-so-subtly...so I think an overall general impression does the most justice to it! This is really a must-try. Anyone scared off by the mention of "that one note I don't like" is not really understanding the charms of LP Original. It surpasses the sum of its parts.

Beach Goddess, you seem to be following in my newbie steps and have fallen for many of the same things I have recently... follow my advice and DON'T wait months to try LPO like I did! And if for SOME reason it doesn't work for you - I will be in the wings waiting to take it off your hands (not that I wouldn't have plenty of competition - you can tell by this thread that this is one helluva scent - there's a reason it is the flagship LP) If I had a sample I would gladly send it to you - but I had to dump my sample vial into my LPO bottle because (as I admitted) I'm nearly out already! :o

Thanks LoveStruck! I honestly haven't tried yet - will get sample of this AND LP Black in next order!! Yes I've fallen for so much already.

This is awesome review. I feel like LPs in general have helped me take care of myself more or better or hard to describe, just so happy how they all make me feel, phero'd or non-phero'd. These are hand-crafted, artisan scents and are so wonderfully made with intent and lots of LOVE. It carries through so much in the fragrance. Just looking through my small stash makes me happy - and smelling wonderful all of the time is awesome feeling.

HUGS to you LoveStruck, and thanks again for your review. LPO will be in my next order - yay!

That was an amazing review LoveStruck! By complete coincidence this is the scent I chose to try today from the sampler I ordered, and when I came on here and saw your review I was nodding and smiling away! It is absolutely gorgeous.

You do not sound like a nutjob. You do sound smitten, but it's completely justified ;)

This one has been changing on me a lot through the day, so it's hard to even write a review based on the notes...one hour changes subtly to the next, then from air conditioned house out in the 90 degree heat and back in again, it changes not-so-subtly...so I think an overall general impression does the most justice to it! This is really a must-try. Anyone scared off by the mention of "that one note I don't like" is not really understanding the charms of LP Original. It surpasses the sum of its parts.

Thanks Memorare :heart: I'm so glad you got the sampler - I wasn't smart enough to do that in the beginning, but I wish I had!

And you are right - it does morph throughout the day! I love how it lasts though, yet it's not overbearing at all even from the first few minutes. I love this statement of yours: Anyone scared off by the mention of "that one note I don't like" is not really understanding the charms of LP Original. It surpasses the sum of its parts. That is SO well said and true - it gave me chills to read it. I've been guilty of being "scared off" by a note and later finding out that I love a scent (usually from a generous sample freebie I get in a trade - and then at THAT point the scent is usually long gone!) The flipside holds true as well... I've gone for a FB of a scent with notes I absolutely LOVE, assuming I would of course automatically love it - only to find that for me it was only OK. That's why I am so attached to this wonderful forum... it's been a genuine learning process for me.

:oops: I don't think I'm supposed to be commenting this much as it is a review thread (I don't care to scan through pages of conversations either to get to the meat of a review - and I appreciate that Halo and Luna try to keep things cleaned up and on topic around here) I've just gotten a bit carried away today reading the replies.

• 4 months later...

I recently gto a full bottle of Lp Original in oil. I love the scent, it's so yummy. The vanilla and apricot and amber and everything blends so well together! The only downside for me is that it seems to disappear very quickly. I wish it lasted longer on my skin. Or maybe it's just so light that i just can't notice it after a while.

I'm expecting a FB in spray with my next order. Maybe this will work differently on me. I hope so, cause the scent is amazing :)

When you get the spray, you can spray on your clothes, or take a bit of the oil and but a bit in the tips of your hair and see if either of the prolong he scent? :)

Okay, I'm trying this for the very first time today. I'm not really sure why it took me so long to try it! I'm kicking myself for overlooking it for so long.

I tend to associate colors with scents but some are much stronger than others. If the color association is strong enough, I'll have to wear specific colors with the scents. Anyway, the color association with this is so incredibly strong for me! This one is the color of sunsets, of sunkissed skin, candlelight, fire. I later realized the label colors fit this perfectly! It's soft and warm and shimmers a little, almost like velvet. It's so comforting and timeless. I can tell immediately that this is a scent that can be worn in every season, day or night.

I keep thinking to myself that I want to smell like this always and forever. I think I may have just fallen in love.

Edited by tink333