New, Saying Hi!

Black Cat

Hello, all,

I've been lurking around the boards for a few months now (although apparently I joined the forum back in 2011 when I made my first LP purchases--didn't realize until I plugged in my go to user name and was told it was taken, tried a password and lo and behold! here I already was!). I'd love to start doing reviews, but have felt shy about plunging in without introducing myself.

That being said, if anyone has any suggestions/guidelines for doing reviews (including things it's good to avoid!), I'd love to hear them. I am very much an enthusiastic amateur when it comes to scents--I am blown away by the level of expertise and sensitivity in the reviews here. But I love the variety of ways in which people describe their favorites (and the really useful information about why certain things don't work for certain people) and I'd like to join in. I really appreciate the moderators' guidelines about "quality content" and want to make sure that's what I provide!

Plus, I may need a second job to finance all the LP purchases I want to be making, so those member credits really called to me!

After a fair amount of trial and error (thank you, LP, for sample vials!) I am starting to figure out which kinds of scents work for me, and which (no matter how intriguing the description--I absolutely ADORE the descriptions, and generally want to buy everything!), probably won't. Some of these are things I've been drawn to all my life--the dark resin-y musky stuff--and some are a surprise. I am getting seriously addicted to foodie scents, which I never would have expected!

Anyway. Looking forward to participating a bit more (and seriously excited to get ready for doing my own Private Edition!).

WELCOME :D

You've been using LPs longer than I have (Dec,'12).

I'd love to hear your reviews!

A sale is in the very immediate future you may have heard all the buzz about that, so keep an eye out. Some of the older LPs will be discounted so it'd be great to have your input. .

Welcome, Blackcat! Love your avi! Glad you're joining in on the forum fun!

I'll let other people guide you about reviews, haha.. I'm an amateur myself. I just say how I feel about it. I try to include as much info as I can, for my own sake. If I trade something away, I want to be able to look back and see why I didn't like it later when I inevitably want it back again, lol.

So, I'm nosey... What scents do you like? What are your faves? And you're going to do a PE? Yay!

Welcome out of lurkdom!!! I lurked a bit before joining, too. Feel free to express yourself however you can! The only tip I guess i can offer is that there is pretty much a thread already for every scent that's come out in the last few years so just tack your reviews onto those.

Echoing Molls...since you've been here a few years already, what are some of your favorites?

:hi215:HIYA, BLACKCAT!!! Welcome to the VISIBLE part of the Family! Hee! :hearts09793:

:BananaRow: :BananaRow: :BananaRow: :BananaRow:

Looking forward to your reviews! You know what? LP made a foodie out of me, too. I NEVER wore vanillas and cakes and sugars and such 'til I came here. And the resins!!! YUM. What are you planning for your PE? :w00t:

Welcome aboard!!

Would love to see your reviews! I know that I personally like to read reviews that are bit more meaty in their descriptions, especially the notes that come out, as opposed to.. love this scent, or this one is great, because that doesn't help me when I am debating on purchasing something with honey, for example. I cannot do a ton of honey, as it tends to get all snatchapalooza on me.. a tiny bit of honey is all I can handle, so for me if there is a scent with honey and someone writes.. I love this, it smells great- It's not telling me if the honey if going to home base slutty or if it's shy and hanging out at first.

Hello and welcome!

Hello, all,

Plus, I may need a second job to finance all the LP purchases I want to be making, so those member credits really called to me!

Haha - yeah that can happen!

Welcome! Your avi is so cute.

What LV said times a billion. Someone liking or not liking it is useless. I need to know WHY...the more specific the better. The notes, the "texture", how it makes you feel.

It's fun to start to see trends of people who have similar taste ..and you can start to rely somewhat on their opinions when making your decisions.

if you like resins originally, but are finding that you like foodies too, I bet you would love things like midnight cravings, ebil-ish! and little witches.

Edited by tyvey

Oh, thank you all, for the welcome and the helpful advice!

I got a few things back in 2011 but then I got distracted (you know how that goes!) and so I've been back for a couple of months now, and I've been trying to make a rule of always getting samples first (LP Red, Sexology and Phero Girl were the three I still had and was using through my hiatus). I've been getting lots of samples in the last few months.

Sneaky Clean has been this summer's discovery for making my retail job WAY more fun. That and Unseelie were my first two full bottle purchases this time around. I've been saving the Unseelie for the fall; I adore it, but it doesn't feel like a warm weather scent to me.

My latest round of samples had several prizes in it, and I was just about to place a big order when I saw the sale notice, so I am champing at the bit on those! I love Coconut Breeze and hope to get a full bottle in time to wear for the last bits of summer. I also tried several vials in hopes of finding my perfect honey scent, and I think Sugared Honeycomb is the winner so far (though I've yet to try Occo or NoCo Gold). I also want to get Love Potion Black for the cooler weather ahead.

And my most surprising new love is Strange and Unusual! I confess, I bought it entirely for the name and the description, not expecting to fall head over heels in love with the scent, but I just can't get enough of it. Who knew maple was the magical ingredient I didn't understand I was missing!

So those are all ones I'll have to get on the review threads about, with some actual details about WHY I love them so much. But that's the starting list. If it leads anyone to think there are others I must have, please do tell...

Tyvey, thanks so much for the suggestions! I'll go take a look! And LadyVictoria, that was the best and most useful example I can imagine for writing a good review!

As far as a PE--I think I need a few more rounds of experimenting with the phenomenal list of available combos to start to learn to pick out individual notes well enough to feel brave enough for that. But at least one will have to involve black cats for sure, if not necessarily baby vampire ones.

Hi Blackcat! Welcome and looking forward to your reviews...If you like Coconut Breeze and black cats may I suggest the sexiest summer scent going right now which is Lady Victorias Sweet Little Pussycat? It's on the LP Artfire site.

My tastes have changed dramatically since coming over to the LP side. My collection is so eclectic now! I have some of everything and every morning and evening choosing my scent is my favorite part of the day. It truly defines who I will be each day! Like today I wore Dollys Hot and Sticky with Leather so I became a juicy hot and sticky rockstar for no reason at all! :12_small7:

I just caught sight of that the other day! Oh, dear, my credit card is going to take a whuppin' this month! Thanks for the suggestion!

Do you really need a reason to be a juicy hot and sticky rockstar? Sounds totally reasonable to me! :cat690:

Welcome out of the darkness of lurkdom, Blackcat, and into the glorious light of the forum board!

I'm a fan of how things make people feel in their reviews...I'm actually going to remember Lady'Vs advice and work harder on that aspect (thank you LV!). I'm still sorting out my nose and it's understanding of scents so sometimes my best offering is that it IS great and I DO love it and then try to explain how it makes me feel...maybe even listing out the notes will be helpful in reviews when we just can't seem to pin something specific down?

Oh! And welcome to the MANY delights of LP and foodiliciousness! And even so, I'm amazed by the talent here and have such and unexpected assortment of favorites! I hope you find it just as fun and fascinating as the rest of us :D

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks again to you all! It's so cool starting to put the usernames with a whole string of reviews (somehow when you're participating in the discussion you get a much better sense of who people are than when you're just lurking!).

So--my first ginormous sale order is here! I'm working my way through--some misses with the full bottles I grabbed because I really wanted to try them before they were gone, but some tremendous hits.

So here's a question: I am going to order again in September, (am hoping that two good sized orders a month apart will be allowed!). There are things on the sale list that look really appealing that I haven't tried yet... but I'm pretty sure after this round they won't be available any longer. What do you guys think? Does the joy of finding something you love outweigh the angst of realizing you can't get it again?

Also--in some cases there are things which interest me because they look similar to other almost-extinct items I've fallen in love with. I've been anxiously reading all the rules for posting, and want to make sure I don't screw up by taking threads off-topic, etc, or looking like I'm trying to boost my post count without adding useful content. Is it OK to jump on a review thread and ask how something compares? For example--I'm in love with Santa's Little Helper. Glitter Kissed looks similar--would it be OK to ask on the Glitter Kissed review thread how they compare, or is there a better place to post that kind of question?

Thanks again for ALL the help. LP rocks!

There are things on the sale list that look really appealing that I haven't tried yet... but I'm pretty sure after this round they won't be available any longer. What do you guys think? Does the joy of finding something you love outweigh the angst of realizing you can't get it again?

Do you mean by only getting one bottle you might be sad if you can't get more after that? If that is what you mean, I would get the bottle and not worry about it. You are going to end up with so many you will hardly finish any. I have been here for three years, have a pretty good collection (approx 80 bottles...not too over the top) and I just this year will be finishing a few of these bottles. I never quit wearing my older ones but with new ones coming out so quickly...you will recover from that angst with a new favorite to console you.

Is that even what you meant by this statement?

Also I have been able to find some of the ones i love that went GGG on the trade thread anyway...

ETA: I just read on another thread that DD has finished two FB's of Black Panther so I should clarify that if you are like ME and wear a different one every single day you probably won't finish one. LOL! Apparently other people are finishing bottles. The only two that I am almost through with (like I can tell I only have about one more wearing) are Occo Red, LP Red and LAM Pink Amber because I did regularly wear those out all the time. Lucky me that those are all permanent!!!

Edited by missdarlyncherie

Do you mean by only getting one bottle you might be sad if you can't get more after that? If that is what you mean, I would get the bottle and not worry about it. You are going to end up with so many you will hardly finish any. I have been here for three years, have a pretty good collection (approx 80 bottles...not too over the top) and I just this year will be finishing a few of these bottles. I never quit wearing my older ones but with new ones coming out so quickly...you will recover from that angst with a new favorite to console you.

Is that even what you meant by this statement?

Also I have been able to find some of the ones i love that went GGG on the trade thread anyway...

Yep, that's totally what I meant! Thanks so much for the advice, also about asking questions on review threads. I love your reviews, BTW!

And hi, Eggers--love your reviews too!

Yep, that's totally what I meant! Thanks so much for the advice, also about asking questions on review threads. I love your reviews, BTW!

And hi, Eggers--love your reviews too!

Ok I thought so, just wasn't sure..thank you! I edited my comment upthread because I didn't want to mislead you...other people do indeed finish bottles. I think DD may be drinking her Black Panther!! JUST KDDING!!

Hi Blackcat! Welcome to the forum!

I rely heavily on the product reviews to buy full bottles unsniffed. I'm really bad at with my own reviews though. As I'm very much a fruity, flora and musk lover and as the way these perfumes turn out differently due to skin chemistry, I tend to look up to a few ladies' reviews to make my purchase decisions.

I have a huge but narrow collection as I tend to hoard items which I enjoy. This is just my shopping habit. I used to guard my spare bottles very carefully, worried of using them up but I think I have loosen up quite a bit recently. As your collection grows, you will realize that it takes a while to finish a bottle. I read in a thread that if you continously use a single LP bottle, it should last you about a month or so.

New scents are released every month and like some ladies say, there's always new scents which they will fall in love with. Rare gems can be found on the trade lists here and I used to camp there, pressing the refresh button every couple of minutes.

Most importantly, have plenty of fun!

Hi Blackcat!

I read your Haunted Hallows review, and it was lovely! :)

In fact, it prompted me to try that scent and now I love it too! So, I think your on the right track.

I just wanted to say hi,and....

:welcome384:

As always, overwhelmed by the generosity of spirit here at LP! I've loved postings/reviews from everyone here--Cheeseburger. I loved your review of Haunted Hallows too, and the fact that we both responded so strongly to that scent has me stalking your other reviews to see what else I might need to try. I'm thinking maybe Unreasonable Pumpkin needs a closer look--

And Rose--you and me both on wanting the little baby vampire kitty. Though my current black cat familiar is so close to this in spirit I'm not sure I could handle anything more!

Thanks!

Yes Unreasonable Pumpkin is the perfect pumpkin pie scent! If you enjoy the falltime foody stuff, definitely get at least a sample of it.

Another one I'd highly recommend to you off the top of my head is Eye of the Storm. It is SUCH a well done nature type scent that evokes cold fall storms. Its great. Reminds me of the Guns N Roses song "November Rain". :D ha!

And thanks for the compliments,again. I think your really gonna enjoy it here. LP is a very friendly,low drama forum with quite a colorful cast of characters.

Again, welcome to the party! :witch1095:

Blackcat, I'm really enjoying reading your reviews :) And thanks again for all your encouragement, you're wonderful!

Have you tried more of those 4 vanilla scents you got?) I'm looking forward to read your comparison :)

And for Cheeseburger, I love how you link together fragrances, songs, feelings, memories etc... You have such an interesting mind to see all that :) Even though your suggestions were for Blackcat, I'll keep them in mind for myself too :)

By all means do, Fleur!

And thank you, too! :D

I'm gonna scope out your preferences again, and see what other reccomendations come to mind.

I have all day to have LP fun today & the house to myself for the first time in months! :)

Thanks!

Yes Unreasonable Pumpkin is the perfect pumpkin pie scent! If you enjoy the falltime foody stuff, definitely get at least a sample of it.

Another one I'd highly recommend to you off the top of my head is Eye of the Storm. It is SUCH a well done nature type scent that evokes cold fall storms. Its great. Reminds me of the Guns N Roses song "November Rain". :D ha!

And thanks for the compliments,again. I think your really gonna enjoy it here. LP is a very friendly,low drama forum with quite a colorful cast of characters.

Again, welcome to the party! :witch1095:

I will definitely try a sample--the pink sugars made me a little nervous, since I am getting the sense that sugars don't always work on me. But your description made me hungry! You know, I tried Eye of the Storm a while back and sadly I think I was allergic to something in it! Maybe I'll try it and see if things have settled down. Like Fleur, I love the way you bring songs into it--since I am always fantasizing the soundtrack of my life...

Blackcat, I'm really enjoying reading your reviews :) And thanks again for all your encouragement, you're wonderful!

Have you tried more of those 4 vanilla scents you got?) I'm looking forward to read your comparison :)

And for Cheeseburger, I love how you link together fragrances, songs, feelings, memories etc... You have such an interesting mind to see all that :) Even though your suggestions were for Blackcat, I'll keep them in mind for myself too :)

Hey, Fleur, I'm loving your reviews too! Really fun to have another newbie to get in the game with!

You know, I am not having a lot of luck so far with my great vanilla experiment--but the two I just tried both had cops in them (Occo White and Beth's Blushing Milkmaid). I am wondering if maybe I just can't wear cops--even after drydown, I got something sour with BOTH of them. I will definitely write up, but when something doesn't go well, I like to give it at least a second try before writing anything. But it's kind of weird! I am wondering if NoCo White might be a different story, but it looks as if you can't get samples of those, just full bottles? Have you tried that one?

Today's discovery, which I need to write up, is Marsha Mellow. Oh, WOW! I put some on at about 7:30 this morning and it's still there... it's so soft and subtle, as everyone else has said, but incredible staying power! Not too sweet, just quiet elegant comfort.

Now if we could just get those New Releases to try.... :Emoticons04269::Emoticons04280::cat690:

Hey! I gotta run, but I wanted to pop in and suggest Ails Voluptuous Vanilla,and even more, LP Original. Great Vanillas,both of em. I think cops can sour dairy notes sometimes too...

I tried Ail's Voluptuous Vanilla and got kind of overwhelmed by the sugary-ness, but I will try it again. LP Original I have NOT tried, will definitely add a sample to the ever-growing list!

I happened to be online last night when the August Private Editions were announced--after my whole "I don't buy bottles unsniffed anymore" I found myself jumping on board for a couple, including Cinnamon Vanilla Musk. Can't WAIT for that one!

And I'm thinking that since I've already started my next order, maybe I'll go ahead and jump back on the sale thread for a few more things. I will not be able to spend anything for quite some time after this, but I will be so well-stocked!

Ha, me too! I'm trading some stuff to fund buying new stuff.

But yeah, LP original is definitely deeper than AVV. Its got patchouli and Vetiver to temper the vanilla. And LP Black is even deeper, with resins and darker sugars. Good stuff. AVV IS sweet. Very, so if your goin deeper try the LPs.

And for the first time yesterday I tried Pot of Gold...great! Its a beautiful liquory/bourbon vanilla with a hint of citrus that dries down to almost a cream soda incense smell! Very unique, I likes!

By all means do, Fleur!

And thank you, too! :D

I'm gonna scope out your preferences again, and see what other reccomendations come to mind.

I have all day to have LP fun today & the house to myself for the first time in months! :)

Thank you! :) I think I'll figure more things I like after receiving my next order, Mara's creations never stop to amaze me. Will take a while for the order to get to Europe though..

Having house for yourself and LP goods to try does sound like a perfect day to me! Good luck and have fun experimenting! :)

I will definitely try a sample--the pink sugars made me a little nervous, since I am getting the sense that sugars don't always work on me. But your description made me hungry! You know, I tried Eye of the Storm a while back and sadly I think I was allergic to something in it! Maybe I'll try it and see if things have settled down. Like Fleur, I love the way you bring songs into it--since I am always fantasizing the soundtrack of my life...

Hey, Fleur, I'm loving your reviews too! Really fun to have another newbie to get in the game with!

You know, I am not having a lot of luck so far with my great vanilla experiment--but the two I just tried both had cops in them (Occo White and Beth's Blushing Milkmaid). I am wondering if maybe I just can't wear cops--even after drydown, I got something sour with BOTH of them. I will definitely write up, but when something doesn't go well, I like to give it at least a second try before writing anything. But it's kind of weird! I am wondering if NoCo White might be a different story, but it looks as if you can't get samples of those, just full bottles? Have you tried that one?

Today's discovery, which I need to write up, is Marsha Mellow. Oh, WOW! I put some on at about 7:30 this morning and it's still there... it's so soft and subtle, as everyone else has said, but incredible staying power! Not too sweet, just quiet elegant comfort.

Now if we could just get those New Releases to try.... :Emoticons04269::Emoticons04280::cat690:

From what I've read, I think cops smell can vary both depending on your skin reaction with them and on your perception of the smell (the latter shouldn't have any effect on how others react though). I can wear loads of cops, and when I do everyone comments on how great I smell, even though for me there's no difference compared to no-cops fragrances at all. Normally I don't get any comments on my perfume from coworkers/friends unless I ask, but with cops on everyone comes to sniff me and tell me how wonderful I smell. Mostly men for obvious reasons, but I've also gotten those comments from few of the ladies :)

BBM is absolutely lovely creamy/milky vanilla scent on me, I can't detect any cops in it. Can't say anything about OCCO/NoCo white though. I ordered a sample of OCCO White with my last order, I'll tell what I think about that when it gets here.

And here is a hug for fellow experimenting newbie :Hug_emoticon:

Not sure if hugging people is appropriate where you live, but that's what I do to anyone I meet and like :D

Ha, me too! I'm trading some stuff to fund buying new stuff.

But yeah, LP original is definitely deeper than AVV. Its got patchouli and Vetiver to temper the vanilla. And LP Black is even deeper, with resins and darker sugars. Good stuff. AVV IS sweet. Very, so if your goin deeper try the LPs.

And for the first time yesterday I tried Pot of Gold...great! Its a beautiful liquory/bourbon vanilla with a hint of citrus that dries down to almost a cream soda incense smell! Very unique, I likes!

I have a bottle of LP Black sitting on the shelf in my closet, waiting for the temperature to drop further to try out again! Is LP Original available anywhere other than trade threads right now? I checked and could not find in the Perfumerie... :fright04238: I absolutely adore Vetiver, so that one sounds so perfect!

And Pot of Gold is fabulous--in the bottle! I tried it a few times and my skin just erases it within seconds. Which made me sad, because it really is an ideal vanilla. I just loved that creamy lemon cake smell, but could not keep it me. Ah, well. We will continue onwards in the quest!

At some point I will have to get organized to have a trade thread, since I have collected a few bottles that I probably won't be using. One frontier at a time, though!

From what I've read, I think cops smell can vary both depending on your skin reaction with them and on your perception of the smell (the latter shouldn't have any effect on how others react though). I can wear loads of cops, and when I do everyone comments on how great I smell, even though for me there's no difference compared to no-cops fragrances at all. Normally I don't get any comments on my perfume from coworkers/friends unless I ask, but with cops on everyone comes to sniff me and tell me how wonderful I smell. Mostly men for obvious reasons, but I've also gotten those comments from few of the ladies :)

BBM is absolutely lovely creamy/milky vanilla scent on me, I can't detect any cops in it. Can't say anything about OCCO/NoCo white though. I ordered a sample of OCCO White with my last order, I'll tell what I think about that when it gets here.

And here is a hug for fellow experimenting newbie :Hug_emoticon:

Not sure if hugging people is appropriate where you live, but that's what I do to anyone I meet and like :D

Oh, cyber-hugging after bonding over good smells feels very safe and appropriate! I am totally sending one back, I just can't find the cute little huggie guys. Let me offer you instead this cute purring kitten :purr: which has nothing to do with hugging, but hey, it's a cute purring kitten.

That's interesting stuff about the cops. I have had great self-effects with them in OCCO SLF, but I seem to react quite differently to the vanilla covers. But it's good to be reminded that what I'm getting isn't necessarily what others are getting.

And now I need to get ready for work... though I'd much rather spend the day stalking the New Releases and chatting with the cool people!