WE ARE MOVING! - AND CLOSED FOR DECEMBER 2013! :(

Potion Master

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's just incredible!!! I hope they love it as much as you do. How does the cost of living compare? Will y'all get more bang for your buck there?

Totally! I would NEVER have attempted to buy a home in California unless I needed to...and as I am not in the entertainment industry anymore, I do not need to.

We are not going to be in Portland proper, just that metropolitan area, but on the Washington state side, just across the river from Portland and minutes away. The home prices are 1/3rd of that of California (200 grand = 600 grand). The rents, currently, are around a third less....what would cost you 1200-1400 per month in rent in L.A. is currently around 800-1000 in the area. I also checked the supermarket...around 1/4 less on the prices, and the gasoline is an entire dollar+ less per gallon. Property taxes on both sides of the WA/OR border are about the same. No idea about California because I've never owned anything here, but everyone complains, loudly.

In Wash state, there is no personal income tax...in Oregon it's 11% I am told. AND, the weirdest new law was enacted in Portland within the last 2 years, in which vendors have to pay 10% tax off their international gross!!! That's even worse than California, the highest in the country, where we have to pay 11% sales tax for all sales that take place only within the state. But to enact a gross international tax is INSANE! Customers pay no sales tax in Oregon, but vendors are charged 10% gross?! I was rather shocked to find this out. My mom is in the money market business and she said it sounds like a 21% difference, but would end up being a 16% difference to our business, and that's a lot, as our business model makes our profit margin pretty low. We buy very expensive ingredients and supplies, and pay our employees very well. We do not have that much dispensable income. (If you guys knew how little I earn personally...lol...I make less than my employees and they all live better than me...but I am happy living a creative life surrounded by my cats, so that's perfectly ok with me!)

So, on the weekends, there's the 'Portland Market' where artists who make their own stuff are allowed to rent booths. We are looking forward to this, as I had a shop on Venice Beach for 10 years and I miss meeting and talking to people like I used to. It's an incredibly artist-friendly, arts-supportive area. Eventually, we realize we will have to rent commercial space, but I currently love the family atmosphere of working that we have now. John and I have been friends for 20 years and we feel like brother and sister. Jessica and her hubby and 4 kids feel like family to us too, and, boy oh boy, I do hope they come with us!

Yowza! Everything sounds awesome (except for all the taxes - it's like you're moving to Canada! :lol: ). I hope Jessica & hubs decide to make the move too. How awesome would that be for you? *I'm* excited for you!!! :D I won't even start about the market... I would die. That is all. xox

Oh wow, that sounds stressful - but I am glad you've found a place, and I have heard great things about Portland!

Sending you smooth-moving vibes (and keeping fingers crossed that Jessica & co will come with!).

That's great Mara!!! I hope Jessica decides to move with you guys. My sister in law's mom, Bobbie whom I adore.. she lives up there and she sends us the most incredible pictures during the winter of deer and snow. I can picture you out there with the Bambis in the wilderness.

Are you taking the squirrels? : )

yeah, I was thinking about that-- leaving the squirrels behind. They're going to miss you I'm sure!

I hope they come down too..ugh I thought the taxes would be lower but I love that you're surrounded by an artistic community and it's a fresh air green environment with friendly folk, at least that's how I remember it the few times I was there. I think the chips will all fall in place for you, you got that good karma thing going for ya, very excited for you Mara.

I won't even start about the market... I would die. That is all. xox

Yes, yes you would! I (sorry Raq) actually enjoyed it MORE than the Pikes Place market in Seattle...well, except for the produce and flowers part. I'm SO excited for you guys! It sounds like you made the best move, taxes wise. You'll have to go out and *enjoy* the Columbia River Gorge area when you have time. SO NICE!

LOL Hazel! That top picture is me right now, the 2nd picture will be December. :lol:

Thanks for the good wishes everyone!

Gosh, we are soooo busy! But no worries, we ARE keeping up. All 4 of us are here and putting in extra hours. We're working Saturday this week, and even Monday/Veteran's Day...we usually close for postal holidays since we can't ship but not this week! We want to get everyone their stuff ASAP this month. Our retailers are putting in huge orders to get them thru Xmas too...Victorian Trading Company put in a 250 bottle order and we have to get it out by Friday. I will be bottling allllll night long.

Here's some hopeful news: Jessica and her family might be moving up with us!!!! Keep your fingers crossed! Jess's hubby is going to fly up with us when we go, and check the town out and see if he thinks it will work for them. That would be a dream for John and me. It's great when your employees love you as much as you love them!!!!

That is a testament to you

You've done your homework :clapW2: ...Jessica & family coming will be awesome!!

...this new chapter in your life is to be a very special and a needful thing! :blow-kiss:

Edited by Calii

Totally! I would NEVER have attempted to buy a home in California unless I needed to...and as I am not in the entertainment industry anymore, I do not need to.

We are not going to be in Portland proper, just that metropolitan area, but on the Washington state side, just across the river from Portland and minutes away. The home prices are 1/3rd of that of California (200 grand = 600 grand). The rents, currently, are around a third less....what would cost you 1200-1400 per month in rent in L.A. is currently around 800-1000 in the area. I also checked the supermarket...around 1/4 less on the prices, and the gasoline is an entire dollar+ less per gallon. Property taxes on both sides of the WA/OR border are about the same. No idea about California because I've never owned anything here, but everyone complains, loudly.

In Wash state, there is no personal income tax...in Oregon it's 11% I am told. AND, the weirdest new law was enacted in Portland within the last 2 years, in which vendors have to pay 10% tax off their international gross!!! That's even worse than California, the highest in the country, where we have to pay 11% sales tax for all sales that take place only within the state. But to enact a gross international tax is INSANE! Customers pay no sales tax in Oregon, but vendors are charged 10% gross?! I was rather shocked to find this out. My mom is in the money market business and she said it sounds like a 21% difference, but would end up being a 16% difference to our business, and that's a lot, as our business model makes our profit margin pretty low. We buy very expensive ingredients and supplies, and pay our employees very well. We do not have that much dispensable income. (If you guys knew how little I earn personally...lol...I make less than my employees and they all live better than me...but I am happy living a creative life surrounded by my cats, so that's perfectly ok with me!)

So, on the weekends, there's the 'Portland Market' where artists who make their own stuff are allowed to rent booths. We are looking forward to this, as I had a shop on Venice Beach for 10 years and I miss meeting and talking to people like I used to. It's an incredibly artist-friendly, arts-supportive area. Eventually, we realize we will have to rent commercial space, but I currently love the family atmosphere of working that we have now. John and I have been friends for 20 years and we feel like brother and sister. Jessica and her hubby and 4 kids feel like family to us too, and, boy oh boy, I do hope they come with us!

I wonder if you'll be double-taxed on things, living in WA and selling from Portland? I know for me living in WA and working in OR I get double taxed, but maybe it's different for owning a business?

But I'm excited to hear you'll be at the Portland Market. I'd suggest also having booths up in some of the events that go on, like the Vampire Masquerade Ball and such. I think that those that frequent such events would take a liking to LP :]

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry you have to move but I am happy to say you are only going to be 6 hrs from me:-) lol no but truly I think Portland is going to be a great move for you..it is a meca for small unique businesses..They do quite well there.. I personally drive all the way up there just for the Saturday market.

I know you will do amazingly there!

So will you have a store in Portland? Just Wondering.... Planing my next trip:-)

Good.Luck!!!!

Portland is a VERY cool area! :)

In fact, in the long term scheme of things, I'm hoping to.end up there or near Seattle one day. The Pacific Northwest is BEAUTIFUL, as I'm sure you already know. :)

Lookin forward to hearing from.you once you settle in#

Much.LOVE, Lori

LPMPmoving.jpg

I have turned off our Amazon and Artfire stores until January 1st.

We are allowing LP site orders until midnight tonight. (11/25/13)

Since the LP cart does not have a vacation setting, it will still ALLOW orders to be made, but PLEASE do not do this, because we will not be able to fill them until we get back up on Jan 1st.

Emails will be returned with a vacation notice, and there will be a solid week where we will have no internet access at all. There will be a notice on the front page, please heed it, thanks.

Thank you, Loved Ones! Have a wonderful Holiday Season! We'll miss you!

xoxoxoxo

Mara

LPMPmoving.jpg

I have turned off our Amazon and Artfire stores until January 1st.

We are allowing LP site orders until midnight tonight. (11/25/13)

Since the LP cart does not have a vacation setting, it will still ALLOW orders to be made, but PLEASE do not do this, because we will not be able to fill them until we get back up on Jan 1st.

Emails will be returned with a vacation notice, and there will be a solid week where we will have no internet access at all. There will be a notice on the front page, please heed it, thanks.

Thank you, Loved Ones! Have a wonderful Holiday Season! We'll miss you!

xoxoxoxo

Mara

I want to get one more bottle with my gift cert if it's not to much trouble.. should I email Nara or Halo for an invoice?

91cc368a1802fc0759353ccf5d525fd8.jpg

Happy Holidays and happy 80 proof eggnogging!

Edited by MissHazel

Dearest Mara,you and the critters will be in my thoughts throughout this challenging process...many Blessings to you all,we will miss you too !!! :abfx: :abfx: :abfx:

...be safe

Hope the move goes smoothly!! We will be thinking of you, and missing you!!

haha, we are all going to go through withdrawals and will be buying off the trade pages like crazy!

:yeahthat::lol2::abfx:

I was surprised to see my order was being packed so quickly!! ( I ordered Sunday). Mara, have you ever lived in Portland before?? Watch a few episodes of Portlandia on HULU. LOL. The good news is you're closer to me yippee! You'll like Portland. I hope all goes smoothly with your move. Are you all packing/moving yourselves or do you have a crap ton of inventory and movers are doing it? Take your time. We'll all be here.

hugs to you all.

Wishing you the smoothest of moves. Truly hope you will post pictures of your new spot. As frustrating, tiring and nasty moving can be, creating your new space and learning all about the area around you will hopefully bring much joy. It's so beautiful up there, I wish I could pack up and go with you. I know we all will be thinking of you and hoping your journey brings a bright and blessed future ahead.