Love Potion: Bittersweet

AD-LP-Bittersweet_1.jpg

CHOCOLATE ~ Lightens emotions, evokes feelings of love.
VANILLA ~ Aphrodisiac, inspires happiness, playfulness, sexual arousal, lust, vitalizing.
AMBER ~ Fertility, creativity, love, luck, riches.
PATCHOULI ~ Soothes and uplifts; sensual, sexually stimulating, lust, fertility, money. Meditative and transforming.
COFFEE ~ Focus, stamina, concentration, determination.

http://www.lovepotionperfume.com/perfumerie/potion/LPBittersweet/

I love that there are "5" ingredients in this blend. I'm trying to see if I can actually detect notes in the potions so LP Bittersweet will be of great help. I'm particularly taken by the fact that Ms. B has coffee as one of the five. Need as much help as I can get with focus, stamina, concentration and determination :rolleyes:

There are five notes, but numerous varieties of each one, so more than five ingredients, technically.

I am kind of losing my mind over this one, which is weird, since I keep saying that chocolate is almost never a go to note for me! But this might be a full bottle unsniffed. I'm getting obsessed.

Me too, and with the exception of truffle luv (and even that I wear rarely) chocolate scents aren't really a big draw for me. This is promising something wickedly deep and dark like the cherry chili truffle chocolate we buy, minus the cherry chili syrup part. Ah, maybe that's why bf liked the sound of this, he always snaffles most of that chocolate haha, now he can devour me instead!

Me too, and with the exception of truffle luv (and even that I wear rarely) chocolate scents aren't really a big draw for me. This is promising something wickedly deep and dark like the cherry chili truffle chocolate we buy, minus the cherry chili syrup part. Ah, maybe that's why bf liked the sound of this, he always snaffles most of that chocolate haha, now he can devour me instead!

How interesting, mel, that's exactly what pulls me in -- the "wickedly deep and dark". And I'm also a HUGE fan of dark chocolate with chili!!

Oh, BTW, caved and went full bottle. With cops. We'll see!

I need this in my life.

...that is all....

LOL :Like2: your comment! Says it all :rolleyes:. What draws you to LP Bittersweet so much? For me, all the notes are great so it's hard to pick just one ^_^ . I bought it in oil...

Gah! Dudes... :Emoticons0086: I've been buying LP's for a while now. I've had a *few* opportunities to enjoy chocolate-based scents a la LP...and it STILL amazes me that Mara can come up with something *different* and spectacular. This is NOT Skye loves chocolate...which is like wading knee-deep through melted chocolate. It's not The Smoking Bun - which is a FAB smokey blend.... nor Regal Confection -chocolate CAKE, it's got it's own identity...it's own chewy, chocolate with a dark/bitter edge that is amaaaaaazing. Oh my.

Gah! Dudes... :Emoticons0086: I've been buying LP's for a while now. I've had a *few* opportunities to enjoy chocolate-based scents a la LP...and it STILL amazes me that Mara can come up with something *different* and spectacular. This is NOT Skye loves chocolate...which is like wading knee-deep through melted chocolate. It's not The Smoking Bun - which is a FAB smokey blend.... nor Regal Confection -chocolate CAKE, it's got it's own identity...it's own chewy, chocolate with a dark/bitter edge that is amaaaaaazing. Oh my.

Ooh Katz!! Now I didn't expect that.

I have emm "a few" LP choco scents too, lol. I was pretty blasé about this one. ... now

You just bumped this in my head. :)

I love that there are "5" ingredients in this blend. I'm trying to see if I can actually detect notes in the potions so LP Bittersweet will be of great help. I'm particularly taken by the fact that Ms. B has coffee as one of the five.

Those 5 ingredients could smell as complex as a blend with MANY more than that - LP is SOOOO awesome!

I'm wondering how the coffe will play nto ths one? Subtle addition, noticeable note? :Emoticons04280:

Ooooo!YAY! That's what I was hoping to hear!

UPDATE!

Just out of the mail! In the vial, yup. That's chocolate alright :lol: It kind of reminds me of Velvet Kisses sans mandarin. It's not as dark as I thought it would be but that LP base sure makes it yummy! Oddly I'm on the fence for FB. We'll see as it continues to wear - that and it is fresh from the mail so I should really reserve final judgment for a day or 2...

Edited by NuTrix

In the vial this is the delicious cocoa absolute which reminds of its other uses, but it has its own character for certain; it really does smell like Mara initially described it to me: like unwrapping a bar of gourmet dark chocolate. On me, however the amber and patchouli really go to town, and it ends up smelling more like Ann's Brown Sugar Black Amber or Lisa's Sugared Amber Patch, and that's not a complaint - I enjoy the effect - but I hope that in time the chocolate will emerge from the rest. For a few minutes I actually get a chocolate-patchouli thing which reminds me somewhat of Scarlet Leaf.

I didn't have any expectations with this one. Chocolate usually doesn't work for me. In the vial, it was wonderfully foody. There's a coffee shop about three doors down from the Godiva store in my mall, and that's instantly what I thought of when I smelled it, rich chocolate with the hint of coffee brewing in the distance. but the second I got it on my skin...Lord Almighty, this is gorgeous! It's not foody on my skin at all, just a sophisticated fragrance. I don't think people would be able to identify it as chocolate, really. The coffee isn't strong, but like others said, it gives it a bitter edge. Not too sweet, so i think I will try this on the man.

Slathered this on last night and first on the chocolate was yummilicious! Silky and definitely chocolate - not really bitter to my nose at all. But then later, for whatever reason, all the chocolate flitted away and I amped the patchouli to distraction. It wasn't the horrible commercial patch, which I find can be heavy and nauseating, this was much softer but still very prominent. I will have to try it again because I'm still very surprised by the 180 it did on me!

LOL :Like2: your comment! Says it all :rolleyes:. What draws you to LP Bittersweet so much? For me, all the notes are great so it's hard to pick just one ^_^ . I bought it in oil...

It's that I had been looking for a fragrance that combined these notes, because to me, they fit so well together. And then there was Bittersweet! I love the Love Potion renditions, so this should be a win.

I'm excited and finally ready to order!!

Ah, Bittersweet! This is going to sound truly odd...but it hits me like a chocolate version of X Appeal. Cannot fathom how it does it. Hee!

I get mostly chocolate at first, and there *is* a teeny edge of the hazmat I'll get from milk chocolate notes and some of the smuttier honeys. Then that wanders off permanently and a sweet note starts coming in. THAT is the thing that smells like X Appeal. It's a soapy-floralish-clean note and I love it! How can that be in this one??!? There is a very slight hit of the coffee that sits way at the edges, but I only perceive it because I'm looking for it. I don't get the vanilla or the patch as separate notes at all.

This one really is its own universe of sophistication and little-black-dress-foody joy. It's not in your face, but instead is quietly, intriguingly present. Dang. Every time I wear it I want it more. Don't know how else to say that. Stuff ROCKS. Need bottle.

:burning-heart:

This is the freakiest morpher I've ever had!!

Vial-dark chocolate with an undertone of, not put my finger on it.

Oops. Posted too soon, on skin: bay leaf and blackpepperwhatthefuck??!

Black pepper I could understand.

Bay leaf????!!!! What has my skin DONE?? This was supposed to be the first choice, definitely me-scent. Mind. Blown.

My eyes rolled back in my head when I first smelled this. Dark, rich, mouthwatering chocolate. But what I'm smelling in the vial is not what my skin has in mind with this one. The slight sweetness evaporated along with the chocolate, and it started to smell soapy, now my skin is doing the same thing it did to Allumette, smells like sulphur and soap. :wacko: I hate skin chemistry!! I am definitely trying this with a scent locket, because the chocolate is that good.

This starts off with a delicious bitter chocolate that I adore and then poof chocolate disappears and I'm left with only amber and patchouli that smell like perhaps were left sitting in an unwashed coffee cup. I am not minding the unwashed coffee cup patchouli and amber, just wish the chocolate would come back to visit.

Yeah, see that's the problem I had too (although I like the amber and patchouli); I wish the original character lasted longer on my skin.

When I first applied this, it was delicious, chocolatey heaven but then my skin chemistry acted like a bitch and amped the patch until I couldn't smell anything else :(

That's what happened to me too. I just couldn't do it. Had to wash off. If the chocolate would have stayed I would have been able to handle the patch. It was soapy and patchy which is a very strange combo indeed.

I thought i would love this one, but I cannot wear it at all. I think it must be stirring some long-buried scent memory for me bc it is physically repulsive to me -- instant and overwhelming nausea and headache. Had to wash it off and keep washing until it was completely gone. I sniffed it in the vial again today and shook my head. Can't do it. :(

So weird, because I love chocolate and coffee. I really thought this would be a slam-dunk for me.

I really love the smell of this one but my skin just sucks it up and leaves a powdery image of it's initial self after 30 minutes! I'm shocked because the other varients are all lasting on me a long time (especially LP Rouge!) Maybe it indicates I have a severe deficiency in my body's overall chocolate need. :) I can't think of what else it could be! Tomorrow I'm going to try and moisturize more than usual and see if I can't get it to hang on a bit...

I will add that (a newbie revelation here...) I'm discovering chocolate notes don't work for me in many of the scents that I truly thought I would love (because I happen to LOVE chocolate I thought it was a no-brainer) ...HOWEVER, not so for Bittersweet... this one actually smells great from the getgo (if it would only last on me!)

Edited by LoveStruck55

I should probably start off by saying that I knew from the get-go that this perfume was most likely not for me. For some unfathomable reason most chocolate scents just do not smell good on me. As expected, the initial chocolate scent just wasn't great on me. And then it changed!

It's a soapy-floralish-clean note and I love it! How can that be in this one??!?

I'm SO glad to see that a few other people got the soapy scent too - I'm not always great at picking out scents and notes, but this one definitely turned soapy on me. And I thought I was crazy, and everyone here was going to tell me that it couldn't be soapy! Unfortunately, unlike Elizabeth, I don't love it - soapy scents are also some of my least favorite. So for those of you who do well with chocolate OR with soapy scents, you will probably love this one. It is just not the right perfume for me. Which is absolutely fine, since there are SO many others that I love!

I will add that (a newbie revelation here...) I'm discovering chocolate notes don't work for me in many of the scents that I truly thought I would love (because I happen to LOVE chocolate I thought it was a no-brainer) .

Sorry, I forgot to quote you in my post and I can't figure out how to edit and quote at the same time but...LoveStruck this is me as well. I don't know how it's possible that I don't love chocolate scents (and to be fair there are a couple that I do love, just not many). But I just don't. Skin chemistry, I guess.

Oddly soapy smelling. Who knows why? It may be bottle shock, or it may be a very white amber. I do like it, but am completely thrown by the fact that it has such a stong soap smell on my skin. If nothing else, chalk it up to wierd skin chemistry.

In the vial it's a thick chewy heady chocolate. On skin, wet, I was getting cocoa powder and a lot of blond sandalwood (? I know), reminding me a lot of Lynne's Journey of the Goddess. As soon as it was dry I the chocolate was gone and I started getting a burnt thing too, which I recognize as burnt coffee only because I looked at the notes. The sandalwood persists. So my skin is doing VERY odd things with it as neither wet nor dry does it bear much resemblance to how it smells in vial. :( This SHOULD work so I am going to save and try again at different cycle point...

Wow, this smells just like a really rich chocolate brownie when wet. Dry it blooms into something much more complex with the amber being dominant, and the patchouli adding just a hint of earthiness. And like everyone says, a dry cocoa replaces the gooey chocolate.

I really like this, and I think it is the first chocolate scent that has worked for me.

• 2 weeks later...

I didn't even bother getting a sample of this the first time around...I have a few chocolates that I love (VK, Special D...and I feel fine) and I figure that's quite enough. But the soapy chocolate thing piqued my interest enough to give it a shot. Wow! Way different than it reads. I totally get that soapy thing everyone is talking about. The chocolate is deep and rich and does indeed fly away as does the flash of coffee but I absolutely adore what it morphs into. This regal smelling amber!! And Patchouli too...I slathered before bed so I can't wait to see how it turns out in the morning.

I am super surprised and excited about the way this one turned out on me!!