Love Potion: Bittersweet

This is delicious!

It quickly morphs from a dark, non-sweet chocolate scent into something that is more like perfume than food - but still slightly cocoa-ish, fortunately.

There also is just a hint of coffee at first, which unfortunately quickly disappears.

I'm having trouble describing the drydown; it's lovely and very complex. Not very strong, but that is fine.

Probably my favorite chocolate-scent so far. :purr:

Will have to revisit it when I'm feeling a bit more wordy!

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I can't believe I haven't reviewed this yet, with all my disgraceful pre-test squeeing! I bought a bottle of this unsniffed and it got lost in the little tear in the fabric of the Universe that is located somewhere between my bedroom and bathroom, where things disappear and hang out in a parallel universe for a while. Then they reappear and it's like having New Things.

I slathered this on like nobody's business and I am loving it so far. The vanilla has really deepened and gotten richer -- it's oddly unfoodie on me, despite all the foodie notes! I get a soft rich pouf of vanilla and amber, and the chocolate and coffee notes somehow serve to add a darkness and texture without reading to me as chocolate or coffee. In a very tangential way, it's reminding me of Breath of Nirvana. I think the coffee note functions in this in the same way the peppermint did in BON. What would otherwise be perhaps a slightly too smooth (though utterly delightful) creamy silky cloud gets a little earthiness and depth.

Then they reappear and it's like having New Things.

:D I LOVE that! Yes, like having new things!

Now I will have to retry, you make this sound SO delish!

Last time we stared out well, then I began amping the patch :'( Maybe, after aging, we will get along better now???....

• 1 month later...

I bought a sample of this. When I first applied it I smelled a blend of rich chocolate with vanilla. Reminds me of this delicious dark chocolate hot chocolate mix they sell at my local grocery. After it dried down the dark chocolate predominated. YUMMY. This is the first chocolate scent I've worn (the others weren't from LPMP) where it smelled like genuine chocolate (rather than obviously artificial) and stayed that way. Unfortunately, I could barely smell it at all an hour later. :( Is there anything I can do to encourage its "staying power"?

• 2 weeks later...

I really appreciate the tips, Halo; thank you. :) I did discover that it lasted longer when I tried it again a few days later. :funnyanimation17:

Somewhat off-topic, but I'm amazed at how different some blends can be at different times of my cycle. I've tried LP Black three times so far. The first time I was unsure if I liked it so I set it aside for a while. The second time I absolutely loved it, and as an added bonus, it made me seriously :smiley-signs135: horny! I tried it again the very next day and didn't like it on me at all. D'oh! Still, I never really noticed olfactory changes in my body chemistry until I found these fragrances. Hmmm. Maybe I should create a spreadsheet to keep track of this stuff...

• 2 months later...

Sorry to threadjack here, but as far as applying silcone goes, it really can help. Nothing against what Mara is selling here, but in a pinch, I have actually used a bit of the de-frizzing products sold for hair which include similar ingredients which accomplish the same thing for me. I'd still go with what Mara has, but if you need something in a hurry and don't have any of Mara's silicone on hand, it does the trick. I love products that can multi-task! :)

• 1 month later...
Guest cutie.pie

Now that it has aged, the chocolate is more subtle, it stays in the backgrouns and amber comes out to play ;)

• 1 month later...

This is LP chocolate varient I was begging for. It reminds me a lot of my beloved LP Winter Solstice 2009 which I have been so sparingly using. It's cocoa (not cake) and blends seamlessly with the LP base. I'm in love.

• 4 weeks later...

So this has had the opportunity to age for a year now, and I am finally getting that soapy quality others have mentioned, and I think I love this even more!!! It's more of a mildly soapy, clean skin musk on me. Still got the chocolate with a hint of coffee. Oh gosh, time has been good to this!

• 2 months later...

First day I'm trying this. In vial, yummy dark chocolate, vanilla, and coffee yumminess. I put it on and within 10 mins the patch amped and I was worried. Thankfully, it mellowed out after another 10-20 mins or so and the vanilla started to take over. Then the vanilla started to go down the plastic smell path. Damn it! But I waited and it stopped after about 10 mins. It mellowed and turned into this pretty soapy scent. How bizarre, I thought, until I read through this thread. It's been several hours now and I smell wonderful! It's morphed yet again into this chocolate, vanilla, with just a touch of amber, coffee, and patch. It smells so good!

I just got this yesterday and I'm digging it. I wasn't sure about it,but the 'clean chocolate thing' sounded fascinating so I figured I'd give it a whirl.

It brings to mind some commercial scents to me,not really in scent,but in the variety of some of the notes; The chocolate in here reminds me of Angel, The patch reminds me of Jessica Simpson Fancy Nights(its a compliment, I really like that one. It was a ballsy scent to do for a celeb like her.),and the amber here reminds me of Prada Amber. All scents that I love, but it's definitely it's own unique deal.

Very clean and BB's description of being "sophisticated" is spot on. It's very rich and smooth,dark and classy. Clean and dirty all at once! It isn't incredibly sweet on me,and I think the right fella could pull this one off too. Tyvey mentioned smelling sandalwood,and while I don't get that,I do get something dry and vaguely papery in here that sort of reminds me of papyrus. I have no idea what it could be.

Overall, I agree with the others, this is a very rich,commercial like perfumey gourmand. I'm really glad I took a chance on it!

• 3 months later...

This is lovely. I love the dark chocolate scent, and how it settles a few hours later into a slightly sweet "skin" sort of scent on me--like dark chocolate is emerging on my skin from the inside out. I wanted to just sniff myself for hours! :Emoticons0086:

Edited by Witty Kitty

• 3 months later...

Went with this one today. It hasn't aged for that long, but it still feels rounder to me this time. A bit deeper overall, particularly the amber and patch notes. The sillage seems to be better too now.

Also, this is a beautiful blender for anything rose based. I've worn it with a few different roses both bright(Lush Rose Jam) and dark (JHAG Lady Vengeance) and it really added something special to them! Lovely on its own too of course. :)

• 6 months later...

I tried LP Bittersweet a couple of weeks ago and the scent had a strange smell and weird undertone when I applied it to my skin. It probably was because I was on my menstrual cycle at the time :-(

However, after letting it sit for a bit and shaking before applying, I'm getting a much better result now. Upon first application, the chocolate is dominant. It's slightly sweet but not cloying. This smells like a dark chocolate as opposed to milk chocolate. I didn't smell much of the coffee. When the perfume dries down, I'm getting a nice mix of amber and patchouli with the chocolate in the background. Very beautiful, warm and sexy. I keep sniffing my arm as I'm typing this review. It's a beautiful and complex mix that (for me) sits close to the skin.

If you're looking for a more sophisticated blend of chocolate perfume, this hits the mark perfectly. This is suitable for both work and special occasions. I also love the label artwork too!