silicon advocate- pheromone concerns

hehehhe so I've been doing some research on pheromones and can't quite find enough solid info on safety with regards to hormonal balance... please correct me if I'm wrong but it seems that pheromones are hormone derivatives mostly (meaning they are the byproducts of hormones that have broken down) and so 'don't really pose a risk' with regard to affecting hormone balance (especially oestrogen balance being a girl and all).. i'm loving this whole pheromone adventure and how it can enhance social lives and opportunities but i'm really particular with what I put on or in my body too. like parabens in topical products like lotions that serve as estrogen mimetics up to some soy products (like soymilk-lowers testosterone and mimics estrogen, can cause secondary sexual characteristic changes- gynecomastia in men for example)

.... anyways so much for the rant, i love how lpmps have the silicone blend which:

1) has more diffusion than oil and more staying power than alcohol

2) let's you wear a scent you like but doesn't interact well with your skin chemistry

3) no chance of pheromones getting absorbed by skin - although absorbed ones are still minute levels compared to ingested ones, you can never be too safe with minimizing exposure. i mean there's heaps of harmful substances foods etc we're getting exposed to already... plus the info on the pheromones are based mostly about effects on the targets than actual health concerns. given that, it's best to be on the safe side in my opinion.

i.e. meo est being cancerous and pregnenolone being precursor to various hormones- therefore could cause imbalances in hormone levels??

please feel free to add your input on various safety precautions with various pheromones :)

Silicone comes with its own set of risks. Try a google search for silicone, skin, health risk, and if you want to go really nuts, try silicone breast implants. Granted, you would be using a very small strip on your skin each time. I will leave the interpreting to you. We all have a different comfort level as to what risks we are ok with, and which ones we are not. Would I use silicone if my skin chemistry caused most of the scents to change ? Yes I would, along with my scent locket. But currently I do fine with the oil and alcohol bases on my skin, and my scent locket on special occasions.

Edited by androstenol

I used to obsess over every little thing that I ate or put on my body... Then I realized that I'd have to live in a bubble. The obsession was making my overall health state worse than if I were not obsessing over this and puting more toxins in and on my body.

It's all a matter of moderation, in my opinion, and what risks we are ok with, as androstenol says.

Not sure if you ever read the ingredients of your skin care, make-up, or bath products, but I guarantee that unless you make them yourself from organic ingredients, you will find something that is bad for you. Plus, the definition of organic and non-GMO itself is relative.

Have you looked at this?

http://www.ewg.org/skindeep/

I used be on an all-natural skin care routine, be very careful what I'd put on my skin. Then I realized that every time I was in the art studio, I'd get ink and mineral spirits on my skin no matter how hard I tried to avoid it, even while wearing gloves. Then I had to scrub hard to remove all of that... So I stopped obsessing over all-natural skin care products. Yes, they are great, but if I find something that I like may have an ingredient I cannot pronounce, that doesn't mean I should avoid it all together.

In the end, we are likely to die from something we have no control over anyway. Therefore, I've decided to enjoy life, and try to not overdo anything - be it work, exercise, eating, having too much fun, pheromones,... etc. A balanced life works best for me, because it keeps me happy and in turn that helps keep my immune system high; of course my definition of balanced may be different than everyone else's. Just my two scents.

:heart0974:

The pheros are still entering your bloodstream when you inhale them.

As far as I know (synthetic) EST is safe in reasonable doses.

There's a different est product that I think comes from horses, that is a known carcinagen. LP does not use that.

I generally use my pheros sparingly and I don't use them every day., to give my system a break and I don't want to build up a resistance.

The good thing about LP, by comparison to other phero cos, they give you info on their products. There are a couple of proprietary blends, which is perfectly acceptable. There are not many blends with Pregnonalone. "Gotcha" is the only one I can think of now and it's the Pregnonalone that puts that warm fuzzy in that blend. I don't use it daily or even every month but I love having it in my arsenal. It was one of my first fav's and I feel perfectly safe with the mild dosage.

The point being, it will be easy for you (Winter cherry) to avoid that if you want to.

Of course there are plenty of virgin LPs to choose from as well. Thus is a special month, not every release is usually Phero'd. Good Luck

Edited by StacyK

I was going to say what StacyK has stated. I tend to prefer oil , but it is more about the way it feels on my skin for me. We really do take risks with everything in life. If pheros, or anything else really, enhance the quality of life then within reason, I am going to just enjoy it. :)

I think that pheromones are in the same safety range as caffeine & the like. Just pay attention your body, if you notice any negative effects just stop using them.

Silicone comes with its own set of risks. Try a google search for silicone, skin, health risk, and if you want to go really nuts, try silicone breast implants. Granted, you would be using a very small strip on your skin each time. I will leave the interpreting to you. We all have a different comfort level as to what risks we are ok with, and which ones we are not. Would I use silicone if my skin chemistry caused most of the scents to change ? Yes I would, along with my scent locket. But currently I do fine with the oil and alcohol bases on my skin, and my scent locket on special occasions.

actually I just found that silicon and silicone are different with the former being naturally derived and can be found in quartz and sand while the latter being synthetically derived and is the one you were referring to with regard to breast implants. I'm pleased to find that in the context of pheromone and perfume blends, silicon is totally safe and inert. this is also backed up by Mara from this thread:

http://lovepotion.invisionzone.com/index.php?showtopic=6120&hl=%2Bpheromone+%2Bsafe&do=findComment&comment=157619

at least even with hesitations and questions about pheromones unanswered, there's still the safety net of having them in silicon! :) yay.

The pheros are still entering your bloodstream when you inhale them.

As far as I know (synthetic) EST is safe in reasonable doses.

There's a different est product that I think comes from horses, that is a known carcinagen. LP does not use that.

that's the meo est Stacy :) i'm interested to know where you found the info regarding absorption into bloodstream? of course I'm willing to take risks but a calculated one so to speak. :) and I agree with you... loving LP for being transparent with blends and looking out for the best interests of their clients... not only being effective but being safe :)

I think that pheromones are in the same safety range as caffeine & the like. Just pay attention your body, if you notice any negative effects just stop using them.

on a positive note, even in a case of 'buildup" from regular use, the pheromone concentrations here are in micrograms as opposed to daily intake of 5-10 mg daily intake of supplemental pregnenolone :)

Wintercherry, I wrote some things about pheromones vs. hormones here: http://lovepotion.invisionzone.com/index.php?showtopic=9150&hl=pregnenolone

and here: http://lovepotion.invisionzone.com/index.php?showtopic=7312&page=1&&do=findComment&comment=212006

est is not meo-est, and as far as I know, Mara doesn't sell anything with meo-est.

Pregnenolone is a hormone, and there is no scientific evidence that I know of that it is a pheromone.

DHEA is also a hormone, but is also present in human sweat, so it at least potentially could function as a pheromone.

Androstenol, androstenone, androstadienone, and estratetraenol are putative human pheromones, or at least, have been shown in scientific studies to have pheromone-like affects. They are also naturally occurring volatiles in human body odors.

Copulins are produced by normal bacteria breaking down fatty acids, and have been shown in scientific studies to have pheromone-like affects.

Edited by xev

There is this idea in the pheromone community at large (NOT this forum; I'm referring to ideas and attitudes found other places on the internet) that anything that is volatile and modulates behavior or emotion can be "used as a pheromone". Biologically speaking, this is incorrect -- you can't call nitrous oxide, for example, a "pheromone", even though it would certainly affect people's behavior if added to a perfume or worn as a volatile. This is an exaggerated and obvious example, of course.

It is not even correct to say that naturally-occurring volatiles that modulate behavior or emotion = pheromone.

Ethically, it is a slippery slope into a really grey area to adopt this kind of definition of pheromone. Thankfully, most of the so-called "pheromones" that are actually not pheromones (for example, oxytocin and cortisol) are also not very volatile, and so in the form of externally-applied products, have a really limited capacity to affect anyone outside of the actual user.

Edited by xev

Stone Labs has done testing about skin absorption and pheromones. If I remember correctly, what Dr Stone said was, 'The absorption is so minute as to be non-existent.' He claims it has no effect on hormone balances.

The grade of silicone that we use is molecularly too large to be absorbed by the skin, which is why we use that variety. It is entirely skin safe.

No, Birkeys, Estratreanol is only produced by pregnant women, and the scent of copulins could no more effect your hormones than the smell of chocolate. It's also in dispute whether human females cycles synchronize at all. There really is no true evidence of it. Personally, I was surprised to learn that, I thought this theory was accepted, but it turns out not to be true. And it's funny that I believed that, as I spent 10 years in an all-female band, and for sometimes 9 months out of a year we'd be sharing the same tourbus and hotel room. Our periods never synched. That was a question often asked by snide journalists. :lol:

.I just realized that in deleting the incorrect info I had posted, I deleted my response also. I'm sorry for posting incorrect info. In my studies this was a topic that was covered. I know it's from the early 70's and was a theory which was highly controversial even then and I should have researched the topic again to find current info before posting. Thanks for making me aware of it. :) The use of copulins was something that I seemed to be having trouble with and I did consult my doctor (and another in the family) about it. I try to use the words maybe or might when I post because I am not the expert and my words are not facts. I am only saying this because I have the highest respect for Mara and the business she has built and would never want to post anything off the top of my head or things I looked up on the internet (as it is unreliable) as fact. From now on I will leave the pheromone advice to the PM! :chickendance::D

With that being said...I could not imagine spending so long on the road with an all-female band and everyone PMSing at different times! That shows a true dedication to your music! ;) Thanks for always being so nice on the forum and in your emails. That's why I love LPMP so much (well, that and the fact that the potions smell so delicious!) ;):smiley-sex023:

Edited by TheBirkeys

Well real pheromones and copulins *might* affect hormones (copulins affect testosterone levels in men after all; no studies have been conducted on their effects on women) BUT they are doing so in a way that has been field tested by hundreds of thousands of years of natural selection on our species' chemical communication systems. It is normal for us to be smelling these things.

So within reasonable dosages, copulins, est, a-nol, b-nol. or androstenone are probably safe and not likely to do serious or permanent harm to wearers or those around them, or cause any kind of hormonal imbalance.

The same cannot necessarily be said for every product out there, which includes non-pheromone steroids that people are advocating to "use as pheromones".