Strange..have not seen this topic addressed before (???)

OK..have not seen this topic addressed before and I never would have thought to bring it up myself until now, finding my partner and myself in a lousy situation with our kitties. So we have three. Two females and one male. The older female is quite alpha and the younger male seemed to make her feel insecure in her status. Long story, but we began smelling a cat spray smell (YUCK)a couple of months ago. Thank heavens, it for now, is isolated to a spot that Lila, our female, considers hers. It is a foyer withith a staircase to downstairs. In order to give them more room to exercise, we eventually let all of them have some play time there. Then the time came when over late summer,that entry that was due to be renovated, was renovated. It took a lot longer for the workers to com p lets the plastering and priming of the walls, about a month, during which, the cats could n o t be allowed in there. Eventually, we began letting them resume their playing there. It was shortly after that, that we began to notice a faint hint of spray. We have never in our over twenty years together had a cat do this! OMG! Horrified! But try as we may, we could not find the exact area that had been marked so that we could treat it with Nature's Miracle. It got worse, until we just closed them out of that area. We then had episodes of aggression and redirected aggression. Now we have ordered a backlight and Advanced Nature's Miracle to hunt this down. We also ordered Jackson Galaxy's Ultimate Peacemaker Set, and Feliway plug in and spray. The Feliway, is of course, a lab synthesized phero. It just arrived today and we promptly plugged it in. They were sniffing at the cap and definitely interested, but in what way, I have no idea. So.. in addition to any helpful feline dilemma advice anyone might have, I am wondering this: does anyone know how or if the Feliway pheros could interract with pheros that I use? Second, has anyone ever experienced any of the above described behavior in their cats when using pheros for people, such as aggression or territorial marking? Any input would be greatly appreciated!

Mel, that's a great thought! I have been so distraught and overwhelmed by this whole so t duration, along with t hat excruciating bout with my infected tooth and jaw, and now keeping up with the holidays, I never even went there! If you, or anyone else have further thoughts on this, I am desperate to hear! Am sorry about you having the funeral to attend Mel. Condolences. :(

Thanks rose, it was bf's grandfather who I had never met. If you find the pee, the best thing I know to get rid of it is diluted biological laundry liquid. I know there are specific products out there but this works (in my experience) and works best (I have been told).

I don't think you need to worry about the feliway.

Hope you're feeling better, bf is in the exact same situation.

Also the house changes, and new unfamiliar materials may have provoked unease and territory marking. It's possible materials were stored near other animals too. Plus if they've been banished from that area for a while that may have unsettled them.

How about some cat nip? That usually makes cats pretty happy!

Hi Mel. Sorry to hear about your bf. OMG, I feel for him. We have a GALLON of Nature's Miracle Advanced on the way. Years ago, we had a kitty prone to urinary tract infections and she would per outside of the box when she did. This was how we would know she had an infection. The Natures Miracle worked great back then. We also ordered a backlight to find the exact location of the areas. And yes, again you are right. It was very stressful to them. I have been difusing some lavender oil to soothe them. Am afraid of giving them catnip since the youngest girl has epilepsy. Full blown grand mal seizures. Breaks my heart. :( but anyway, am cautious, perhaps overly so about anything that might act as a trigger. Yes, we have our hands full for sure!