Keep Quiet Phero?

So, my boss told me the other day that I chat with the customers too much. Any time other than Christmas then that would not be a problem and most of the time they are very happy with the helpful and friendly interactions I have with customers. However, right now I need to be more focused on production and less on good customer service.

Its hard for me. I enjoy chatting and I was taught that it wasn't polite to just end a conversation. I don't know. There are days though, even outside the holidays, when I would just like to be able to come in, do my job and mind my own business.

Any ideas on what to where for a "shut the hell up" vibe?

LOL! Whatever you do, don't wear Open Windows! If it were me, I'd go with LFM. "Too awesome to approach" is exactly how it comes off on me, too. Whenever I wear it, people say awesome things about me while I'm standing right there, but I never seem to be included in the conversation! :lol: That could be a win-win: you're not talking so much, AND your customers are still saying amazing things about you! ;)

I will have to look up which are LMF and LFM. I don't have all of my pheromone acronyms down yet. Every time I see LFM I immediately think of the gaming acronym "looking for more".

No B-nol sounds like a good idea.

A social awkwardness phero sounds hilariously excellent.

Lol, yes uncomfortable shoes would make me miserable. One of our framers is not so stable on his feet so the manager took away the compression mats from in front of the counter. Thankfully even she refuses to stand for hours without them in the back.

Thank you all for the advice. :)

I would just pretend I came up with laryngitis. My voice is raspy in the morning so I can get away with it. When I don't want to talk to people I am very short. Like.. Can you help me? Yes. I need X Y Z. It's online. I don't have a computer. GOODBYE. Oh okay. Goodbye. Or I found a very neat trick. I place my cell by my work phone and it screws up the line and becomes sooo filled with static it's impossible to help anyone.

Just kidding Feds. I do not do that. Ever.

Edited by LadyVictoria

Leather or SWS could work for you here- professional, in control and needing to be respected. But if it were me I'd try LFM first, because at work it makes me a carpet swan, and everyone knows swans are a bit scary close up.

LOL, Lady Victoria! I did do that to one poor lady the other day. She totally barged in on a brief conversation between myself and the jewelry teacher and then started dragging out a project with a look of pure desperation on her face. ( There are times when I love helping people with their pinterest projects but not this time of year. Because it normally starts like this. "Oh, I am not a crafter but I saw this cute thing on Pinterest and I just had to make it! Can you help me?" Which doesn't mean can you help me find things, It means can you help me with this project. Right this minute in the store. State how it should be done step by step (additional gestures can be helpful) and answer any questions, soothe any doubts, possibly repeating instructions when confusion occurs because without fail they have found one of the most difficult projects to do as a beginner. ) Anyway, the lady starts showing me these glass vases and starts describing her project and how she needs styrofoam balls that have to be an exact size. I cut her off and said "Styrofoam balls are on aisle 98." Helpful pointing. "I can get someone to help if you want me to." Because it isn't going to be me. She wandered off clutching her vases to her chest, still looking lost. I felt bad for a moment but then I remembered I had a metric ton of work to get done.

Our Customer Experience Manager pretends to get laryngitis. She claims that it is allergy related. It might be but I notice it occurs when she doesn't want to be social. (Which is her entire job description so...awkward.)

I totally think I am going to pick up some LFM when I get another paycheck. This one is taken up by Christmas for the most part. Dom Noire to work today was rather entertaining. I might do it again tomorrow and see how it goes.

• 5 weeks later...