Wine and Dead Roses 2015

Beccah

AD-WineRose15_1.jpg

Wine and Dead Roses 2015

For all you strange girls whose idea of the perfect Valentine involves darkness, decay and eldritch terror...a gothic-minded blend of the decadent charms of cocoa absolute, rose attar and cabernet accord cloaked in dark bloody red musk with a spooky resinous base of oak, sandalwood and myrrh.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Magickal Meanings of Ingredients:

COCOA ABSOLUTE ~ Lightens emotions, evokes feelings of love.
RED MUSK ~
Self-confidence and strength, sexual attractant, heightens passions and arousal.
ROSE ATTAR ~
Self-confidence, strong aphrodisiac properties, attracts affection & love, fertility, divination/clairvoyance.
LEATHER ~ The musky scent of leather inspires feelings of lust, personal power, and provides a hint of danger.

FERMENTED ALCOHOL: CABERNET ~ Intoxicant, used as an offering or appeasement for Gods, used in love spells, and celebratory spells.

OAK ~ A wood of masculine and projective energy.

It symbolizes endurance, triumph, strength, power, prosperity, and heroism.
SANDALWOOD ~ Love, exotic, sensual atmospheric; aphrodisiac. Healing, spirituality, exorcism.
MYRRH ~ Stimulating, soothing. Powerful guard against evil.

This one is very rose to my nose while wet and, I think, the musk? It started of a bit strong and pointy

After dry down I get the leather and cabernet notes. I'm not recognizing the cocoa absolute at all and I think I'm associating the wood notes closely with the cabernet, lol, I love red wine!

The rose is too much for me - not that it's unpleasant, just not for me. It's not the perfume's fault. I think the only rose I've gone FB with was the one in Agent XXX. But this is an unmistakable rose perfume and for those who like it, this may well be a love. It's a very curious and intricate scent.

The leather and wood come out more pronounced after about a half hour. I never noticed the cocoa :huh: Intriguing fragrance though :)

I really like this one. I wore it with my black Mad Scientist tee shirt and black nail polish. I am a half hearted Goth or maybe just lazy.

In the bottle the rose is very strong and wet it is definitely the premiere fragrance but I liked that it was a dark, almost spicy rose. The scent lingered nicely and the dry down was very nice. I will have to wear it again and pay more attention. I was out with family and the Chinese food scents took over the evening.

My number 1 BPAL is a red musk/rose scent, so I was fairly sure I'd like this. This is really pretty. I was worried about the cabernet and the woods, but they don't overpower it. I think this is definitely a Grown Up Woman scent, and I'll enjoy wearing it.

Y'know, I requested a trial of this one, wanting to believe that all of the other wonderful ingredients would make the leather work on my skin ( leather never works on my skin) which always transforms leather notes into a weird, chemical, plasticy, more PVC than leather scent. Rather than the rose taming the leather, combined on my skin, this turned into.. wow, I hate to say this... a funeral home sort of smell. I'm so sorry Mara!!! :frown:It seemed really NICE in the bottle! It was only when it hit my skin that disaster ensued. I adore the label on this and if your skin can handle leather notes, I think this one , going by how it smells in the bottle could be a really complex, unique, and on the right skin, beautiful. Just not for me.

• 2 weeks later...

On me this is a lot like Remind Me Again, and I appreciate it for that quality, I just wished I got more of a rose attar/cocoa absolute thing going on, or even myrrh-dominant, But the red musk and sandalwood were the forward notes, which was okay.

Do any of you know how this compares to the original? That to me was the near epitome of a goth scent. Loved it, seeing this release made me get out my remaining trial vial, and then I sent that through the washing machine in a jacket pocket the other day. :smiley-angry016:

• 2 weeks later...

Aha! Leather. I tried this without the notes and had to wipe off. It was no good on me. It was very strong and while rosy, had a strong almondy/musty vibe I couldn't get past. It must have been leather. I knew this wouldn't really be a me scent so who knew what I was thinking when I ordered it! Luigi wasn't keen either. I didn't give Buster chance to get near it. He is the perfume fan usually. I hate giving bad reviews, but this was not good for me. Eve of Darkness thankfully was!

This one was very strong on me... the rose was definitely a gothic rose, nothing soft or English country house about it! A deep dark velvet red, made deeper by the cocoa and resins. The leather rounds it out nicely. It's not a Blackcat scent for me at this time in my life, but boy, twenty years ago I would have been bathing in this! Wonderfully dark and scary powerful.

I agree that it is a very gothic rose and less sweet country rose. I liked that about it. Its not my mother's rose. I mean that literally. :D There for a while my mother had soaps and lotions in various perfumy rose scents and it made me shy away from anything that said "rose" on it but in recent years I have learned that some rose scents are wonderful and don't cause headaches.

That is exactly what I was hoping for Beccah, but my skin does heinous things to leather in scents. Sounds lovely on you though.

The leather disappears on my skin. The cabernet just makes the rose a bit fruity. It actually reminds of the sweeter HEM rose incense while I'm wearing it.

I agree that it is a very gothic rose and less sweet country rose. I liked that about it. Its not my mother's rose. I mean that literally. :D There for a while my mother had soaps and lotions in various perfumy rose scents and it made me shy away from anything that said "rose" on it but in recent years I have learned that some rose scents are wonderful and don't cause headaches.

Oh yeah! I totally get that. I've got some Lanman & Murray Rose cologne on hand for ritual purposes, bathing & etc.. No way would I walk out the door smelling that! Yuck.

• 10 months later...
  • 1 year later...

I got this full-size sample from Rose Blackthorn when I purchased some scents from her. This is leathery. A clean, deep, rich rose. Kinda soapy. It reminds me of a classy department store because of the leather note. I like it because it is not a total rose floral—it just smells very sophisticated and classy. A warm undertone comes out that I can’t place that may be the wine. It kind of smells like rose incense. I find it very unique, I am picking up a bottle in the sale!

• 3 weeks later...

Does this smell powdery on anyone? I can't tell if it is the rose or musk but it's dark and powdery to me. It's nice but I wouldn't wear this out again.

Hey there Mouse, and welcome! I'd have to try on my sample of this again, but I'm betting it's either the sandalwood or Cocoa powder going powdery on you. Probably sandalwood. I like this one, but it's been awhile since I wore it. Gotta try it again!

• 1 year later...

I'm not sure if my sample is from 2015 or the earlier version, but in the vial the alcohol had a really astringent scent that was pretty harsh to my nose. I put off trying it for a little while because of that, and because I'm not usually a rose person, but as with a lot of things here at LP, I wasn't going to let a little thing like my preconceived notions of what scents are "right" for me in other perfumes stop me from trying one of Mara's creations. :D 

That said, unfortunately this one is not for me. Rather than bringing out my inner Goth, it feels like it's for a far more sophisticated lady than someone with my jeans-and-T-shirts style. It's beautiful -- brings to mind a tall, beautiful, velvet-and-lace clad woman in some Edwardian castle sipping rich red wine and leafing through dusty tomes by candlelight -- but that's not congruent with my personality. Still... I'll save this for a day when I have something special to wear it to, though I'm not quite sure what that occasion will be just yet.