Jennifer's Opal

Black Cat

AD-PE-JenniferOpal.jpg

Jennifer's Opal

Beautiful blending of ylang-ylang, woodsmoke, grassy greens and a drop of fresh linen, over a gentle layer of soft white sugar.

YLANG YLANG ~ (also known as Cananga) Strongly sensual, attraction, attention, irresistibly, soothes marital problems. Aphrodisiac, mood balancing, relaxation.

SMOKE ~ In addition to the attributes of whatever is being burned (resins, woods, etc), smoke is for cleansing, purification, renewal, consecration, concealment and celebration. It is also the foremost mode of communication from this world to the realm of spirits and the gods.

GRASSES ~ Wishes granted, enhances psychic powers, protection.

LINEN ~ Luck, healing, protection, return of lost love.

Of course this was the first thing I pulled out of the box, and I have been so excited for it that I actually haven't opened and sniffed ANYTHING else yet. Just sitting with this one.

As I mentioned elsewhere, this is a combination of notes I came up with through playing with my sugareds. While it was great fun to experiment, putting on four different notes (and not always remembering the ratios that work) can be a bit tedious, so I wanted a blend with all of them.

In addition, quite separately I wanted to ask Mara to craft something for me to be an aid in some very deep internal work I am doing with someone. Even though it is not a romantic partnership, I need to build intimacy and loving trust. When I looked up the meanings of these notes, they seemed like a good match.

And finally, the name! I have a history of doing PEs based on the familiars in my life, and I have a new little furbaby in the house. Two days after the home visit where I first met her, my sister sent me a beautiful opal bracelet with a lovely letter about how important the symbolism of the stone was to her. When I went and googled "magical meanings opal" I found this link:

It spoke so powerfully to me that I knew the new pup would be Opal! And since I am hoping she is very much going to be a touchstone/companion for all this transformative work, it seemed very fitting to lend the name as well to this scent. Plus, the scent I envisioned was a kind of shimmer, with the ylang and grasses flashing out between the smoke and the linen, so that seemed right, too.

Well, it is no surprise that even in this first testing I feel as if Mara hit a home run! This is already very lovely and I bet with a few months aging it is going to be spectacular. It's very soft and rides close to the skin. Wet I get predominantly grassy floral, which is beautiful, and as it dries down, I get little wisps of the smoke and just a hint of the linen, which is exactly what I asked for. I can't wait to wear it to my appointment tomorrow.

For pheros, I think this will go really well with Gotcha and maybe Perfect Match.

Thank you so much, Mara! This one is a treasure!

Great background story. I hope your emotional work is a success. I'm such a fan of opals and the notes in this one sound outstanding.

Just one thing, though: I don't think the link has posted properly and I'm keen to read it!

Edited by donsie

Great background story. I hope your emotional work is a success. I'm such a fan of opals and the notes in this one sound outstanding.

Just one thing, though: I don't think the link has posted properly and I'm keen to read it!

OK, this is the second time this has happened to me! I am copying and pasting the link... is there some further step to make it appear here?

ANd thanks for the kind words!

http://www.crystalvaults.com/crystal-encyclopedia/opal

ETA: OK, success! Apparently it has to go on its own line.

Edited by Blackcat

Immediately when I applied I was hit with nothing but woodsmoke and my first thought was…oh no. Within ten minutes the heavy smoke fades, everything starts to blend and emerge. The yang is there, but ever so soft and brightened by the grasses and linen. This to me is rebirth..walking through the woods after the cleansing fire with the gentle scents of emerging life and freshness. This is so well blended and beautiful. This I will wear often. An added benefit is the smile it brings to me because I can’t help thinking about Miss Opal’s adorable face.

Well done.

Oh, Seaj, that's a way more beautiful way of describing it! I'm so glad you like it... and Miss Opal thanks you for the compliment as well!

This to me is rebirth..walking through the woods after the cleansing fire with the gentle scents of emerging life and freshness.

• 3 years later...

I find it so strange that I never reviewed this before. I have had Opal for quite a few years now. When I first got this I loved it but I think the grasses or maybe the linen or probably a combination of both stabbed my third eye A LOT. I held onto it though and let it age. It's a beautiful day today and I decided to give this one a try again. OMG! IT'S GORGEOUS! It has aged SO EXTREMELY WELL! It is no longer stabbing my third eye AT ALL. I cannot stop huffing my wrists. I couldn't remember the ingredients exactly but I knew there were grasses in it. I kept getting this subtle creaminess or softness that I couldn't quite place and my mind kept thinking vanilla marshmallow even though I knew it wasn't marshmallow. I think it's the combo or ylang ylang and smoke that reminds me slightly of toasted marshmallows maybe? This is definitely moving to the front of my perfumes for this year. It is so beautiful. It has a very powerful feel to it as well but in a very soft and subtle way. I keep getting images of sheets that are drying on a clothes line that are blowing in the wind, with a fire nearby. I wish I could explain more of this powerful feeling I am getting but I cannot quite put my finger on it. Hopefully, I can figure it out more as I continue to wear this.

Edited by tink333