Wendy's Liquid Mystery

Wanderlust

Unisex. Very green at first, pines and fir trees surround me. There is a tinge of asphalt scent. Effect of catching the first breath of cold air in winter. After 30 minutes dry down, green is fading and I'm headed out of the forest, cloak around my shoulders. I am ushered into a large hall. Incense is wafting into the room from a distance. After an hour, the green has faded. What remains is warmth, comfort from the chill of winter.

AD-PE-WendyLM.jpg

Wendy's Liquid Mystery

For this treasure, I wanted to use some of the oldest known perfume ingredients, and per Wendy, those with an air of ancient magic and mystery too. I started with a base of labdanum, storax and oud, blended with woody wild katrifay eo and an Arabian attar of smoked woods. Over this, the powdery softness of myrrh resin blended with the gorgeous freshness of Highland heather, and finally, a single drop of earth.

This is almost overwhelming right out of the bottle. Wet on me it is very strong, almost cloying. It reminds me of how magnolia or gardenia can be almost too much to handle even naturally. Once it dries down though it is very pleasant, complex, powdery and woody at the same time.

It reminded me of a perfume that my paternal grandmother used to wear but I couldn't remember which one. She had a bunch on her vanity and also those perfumed powders with the fuzzy poofs. So I bothered several people I work with. (Some are used to it. I make them smell stuff I've concocted all the time.) I grabbed one co-worker before she could go on break and made her smell my arm. She said it reminded her of Tabu or maybe Beautiful but she was more certain that it was Tabu.

Another co-worker was sure that it was White Shoulders.

I got home and made my mom smell. Since she actually knew my grandmother she had a much better chance of coming up with the right answer. She was certain it was Intimate by Revlon. We then took her bathroom apart because she was sure she had a bottle of it somewhere. She did and it does smell somewhat like Intimate.

Essentially though, I think it smells like the complex woody fragrances from the 1940's - 1950's. I love that it reminds me of my grandmother and I love that it dries down very soft and lovely.

I do not get the Tabu feel. Could never wear it..something almost breath-stealng in that one. This scent does dry down well, but takes about 45 minutes to really settle on my skin. As I said, it took awhile for the green to settle, but trust in Mara to get it right.

Edited by Wanderlust

I wouldn't know about Tabu. I don't remember smelling it that was a co-worker's opinion. My grandmother had a lot of perfume bottles from the 40's and 50's. I remember the Youth Dew bottle, Chanel no 5, and Intimate but there were a lot more.

This one is extraordinary! I am having trouble comparing it to any other LPs, although there is a way in which it feels almost related to my Opal. It's interesting -- even though it is not sweet, I don't experience it as unisex. The woods and resins blend perfectly, and the heather adds a freshness that keeps this from being in any way incense-y or heavy (not that those qualities are bad, I have loved them in other scents, just trying to convey how different this one is).

I get that ancient sense that was described in the PE thread. Smelling this, I picture a deep forest, where some of the trees are so huge you can't get your arms around them. Dark plushy green moss, a well-worn trail, and shafts of sunlight penetrating from a vast height. But I also have the sense that we are coming out of the forest, into an open field with the whirr of insects and the smell of wildflowers tangled in the tall grasses. Probably a castle after that. As the scent dries down it feels like the sun going down, and retreating to a grand bedchamber. A huge fireplace with a roaring fire, and a wolf hound guarding the door, four poster bed and clean cool linens. Mmmm. What a winner! So glad I snagged a bottle!

Edited by Blackcat

'It reminds me of how magnolia or gardenia can be almost too much to handle even naturally. Once it dries down though it is very pleasant, complex, powdery and woody at the same time.'

Interesting fact: There are no natural gardenia scents, it has to be synthesised. It's never natural.

Well I don't think you can easily find something like real gardenia essential oils as easily as you could find lavender and others but yes there is real & natural gardenia fragrance or "Enfleurage".

It's pretty expensive and given the time consuming factor to produce it as well as seasonal factors it's probably not as common as synthetic but it does exist and smells divine. I have some.

Edited by StacyK

I love Magnolia. We had a magnolia tree in our yard when I was a kid and I have one now (tho it's not as pretty as the older one). I love that scent by my front door. It's smells like home and early summer time. One of the reasons Molls Blue Magnolia makes me so happy :)

It is beautiful and this tree is grown so tall that it is a gentle smell wafting down through the yard even on the hottest days. I also like the honeysuckle that blooms through the bushes nearby. If I could transport the blackberry bushes from my dad's place growing up then I would have a lot of happy childhood scents all in one place.

It's very naturey but I'm getting a fair dose of resins too. It feels languid, old world'ish and elemental. Almost urethral in feel.

Sort of like a genesis, where all perfume began.

It's very naturey but I'm getting a fair dose of resins too. It feels languid, old world'ish and elemental. Almost urethral in feel.

Sort of like a genesis, where all perfume began.

Please tell me it doesn't smell like pee.

Please tell me it doesn't smell like pee.

:lol:

OMG just saw that :)

No it doesn't smell like pee. Un EST smells like pee to me tho. :)

It does smell misty to me tho. aquatic, outdoorsy airy & lightly earthy (not dirt tho) like deeper into the earth. The resins really ground it. There's one little thing that pokes at me a bit. It fades back after a while and becomes a cool velvety scent. IMO. :)

Edited by StacyK

• 3 weeks later...

I wouldn't be reviewing this yet if it wasn't sold out. It's beautiful, and I'm greedy, and I only have 2 bottles.

It starts out as a sweet green scent, like warm honeyed grass. Reminds me of Betrothal Potion at this stage, although this one is softer and lighter. About half an hour in and the green has morphed into an iridescent golden tone, with smooth meditative whispers of soft woods and a hint of resin. I feel like I've gone on a journey with this scent- riding through the forest on a horse in a long cloak, emerging into calm afternoon sunlight, tethering my horse, and walking into a stone cathedral. I can smell the wood of the ancient pews, and the lingering ghosts of incense past. Wearing this scent, I can actually hear the peaceful notes of catholic monks singing in the distance.

Oh, thank you for reviewing this scent. I am almost relieved to hear you like it. The quiet on the forum had me concerned that people rushed to order this and ended up with something they did not enjoy. Your review hits every 'note'.. thanks.

It's a wonderful perfume Wendylynne, very intriguing and unique, which I love. It takes me an age to review the things I order because I live on the other side of the world from LP, and I like to savour things a bit before I talk about them. You know what this scent reminds me of? The British series "Cadfael", which features an apothecary monk who solves murder mysteries as the main character. It's an older series now, from the 90's, but a good one.

Derek Jacobi! I loved him in Little Dorritt, Secret Garden and in just about anything he's ever done, really. I've not seen Cadfael. I'll have to see if it is available via BBC. An apothecary monk, of all things..perfect!