Plan for 2016 at LPMP

Potion Master

I meant to post this earlier, but you know, busybusybusybusy!

I want to share with everyone what I would like to do for this year as far as a brewing schedule and events.

I want to put more emphasis and more time into the Private Edition program - I would like to have it open most of the time this year, and I would like to open the program at the store too - making the ones created there available online too.

To do this, I need to cut back on monthly new releases, so I am thinking we will do SIX this year, rather than the usual 10-12.

But we will still have new releases every month, just many of them will be conceived by YOU rather than me.

Also, I want to move some things around....

Our big yearly clearance bonanza that usually takes place in August, I am moving that up to July.

And our all phero month, I am moving that over to February to coincide with Valentine's releases, as that makes more sense to me at this point in time.

So this is what I am looking at for the year:

Jan/Feb: Valentine's Collection (and next year Pherotine)

March/April: Spring

May/June: Summer

July-Aug: Sale

Sept/Oct: Autumn/Halloween

Nov/Dec: Winter/Xmas

With PEs throughout, and probably one additional *event* release in there somewhere.

I will let you know as plans progress, and I am excited to be able to make more of your own concoctions in the coming months. As always, I am open and appreciative of your input.

xoxoxox

~ Mara

I have always wondered how you come up with new ideas every month. I know you have a certain number of rebrews but still the vast number of new fragrances every time is astounding. I know just coming up with the ideas and the constant brewing has to take up a lot of time.

Haha - I now have a million questions with this move to a more (but obviously not completely) PE-centric brewing emphasis. I now there are usually a lot of PE orders - I hope this move makes things easier on your end.

As you are making the PEs you make at the store available online, I take it you plan on making the PEs we order online available there also?

I don't know how big a "batch" you brew up for PEs but I take it they are now going to be larger batches so you have some available on both sales fronts?

How does that affect your brewing PEs in the store if you are making bigger batches? Just using a bigger "cauldron" so to speak haha? :D

OMG this sounds absolutely wonderful! I am finding that I really enjoy having a bit more time between the collections to really sample and savor, and you know I LOVE me some PEs! Both mine and other people's, so this is really sounding like a dream!

OMG this sounds absolutely wonderful! I am finding that I really enjoy having a bit more time between the collections to really sample and savor, and you know I LOVE me some PEs! Both mine and other people's, so this is really sounding like a dream!

Yes this!!

Also the "Pherotine", how cool is that!

Thanks for taking the time for the advance notice. That helps a lot. :)

That is a grand plan, Mara! Gives you a chance to grow the brick and mortar customer base. So exciting to think one can walk into the shop and receive personal attention to create their signature scent. That is,a rare and wonderful service you're providing. Looking forward to more creations from the LP Forumfolk as well.

Will the PEs be offered in samples once you start making more of them?

I was thinking making them available as itties, in a collection each month. Since the edition won't be as large as a regular release, and we don't know how many there will be each month, we'll have to take it month by month...sometimes there may be 25, sometimes there may be 5, but I'll try to figure out a way for everyone to sniff at an affordable price.

I have always wondered how you come up with new ideas every month. I know you have a certain number of rebrews but still the vast number of new fragrances every time is astounding. I know just coming up with the ideas and the constant brewing has to take up a lot of time.

Haha - I now have a million questions with this move to a more (but obviously not completely) PE-centric brewing emphasis. I now there are usually a lot of PE orders - I hope this move makes things easier on your end.

As you are making the PEs you make at the store available online, I take it you plan on making the PEs we order online available there also?

I don't know how big a "batch" you brew up for PEs but I take it they are now going to be larger batches so you have some available on both sales fronts?

How does that affect your brewing PEs in the store if you are making bigger batches? Just using a bigger "cauldron" so to speak haha? :D

Well, QG, I will not deny that I welcome the fresh ideas that come in from PE making. After 30 years of perfume blending, with the last decade+ being very intense and prolific, I do tend to feel like I've 'done it all' sometimes. I am constantly searching for new ingredients to buy that will help me make new and interesting things, and when the industry slows down in that regard and I am left with only the 10,000 ingredients I have on hand, :lol:, I appreciate the influx of creativity from others. I'm a "band girl" remember. To me, creativity at it's best is often a group effort. But as to how I come up with ideas? Never ending research. Reading all the time - fantasy, history, religious texts and reference books. And also exposing myself to lots of artwork; sometimes just a picture will inspire a perfume.

I don't offer as many things in the store as we do online. We of course have it all available if one of our knowledgeable online customers comes in, but when dealing with newbies in person, it's best to give them only say, 100 things to choose from, rather than 400+. So, thus far, I have not offered other people's PEs in the store, but when I start brewing daily behind the bar, that may change. My initial plan is to offer everything here first.

I plan to start brewing the PEs in the store in smaller batches than the online orders. I will start with the minimum - only an ounce, which is 3 bottles. Sometimes things can't be done that small because one drop of an ingredient can be so potent it requires more space to spread than that, but I'm going to start those smaller, unless I think it's brilliant and in that case I'll grab a larger bottle so we can share it around. It's actually quite difficult to brew in that small a qty. A minimum of 4 ounces is really preferable.

"pherotine" aww lol very cute.

Of course, our clever Luna came up with that! :D

On one hand, I am sad that NRs will only come out every other month since last year they seemed to come out monthly and that there will be less to choose from--yet I am sure the wide variety has led to some perishable stock you had to discount or liquidate.

On the other, I believe if you don't change things up, you live on a hamster wheel. I am not a monthly PE type but I have enjoyed so many that it will be nice to see people do this more. There were so many good ideas recently like the destination scents! Maybe quarterly you could throw out a PE theme and let people jump in on that. I participate in themed soap swaps and have seen great innovation when given some "rules" or "themes".

Good luck Mara! You are such an amazing artist and businesswoman that I am sure whatever plan you hatch is successful.

I agree with MissD. I'm only new here and find everything exciting. You do you, Mara. I am happy just enjoying the ride, just please don't stop providing such fantastic product, not only blended to perfection, but made with love. :hearts0425:

@Potion Master: One of the reasons I was so taken by the thought of you doing PEs in the store was that I assumed from everything you had said over the years that brewing small batches would be more difficult. I still find it amazing and very cool that you do it!

ETA: And by small batches I meant less than the 9 bottles or so that seem to make a normal PE run. The fact that you could make just 1 bottle given the quality of what you make is something else.

Edited by quietguy

I love this! Thanks for sharing with us so we know what to expect! I also liked reading about the perfume inspirations! :). I've been working on my very own PE so I'm excited there will be more time for PE's this year too. YAY! ❤❤❤

Mara, your changes are fine with me. I find it hard to get through all my new release samples without the fear of something I really like selling out before I make the decision. Learned my lesson with Secret Sweetness w/Gotcha. Not to mention test driving the things I have bought outright (Etsy or in last year's sale)! Annnnnddd not to mention attempting to stay on a budget with my monthly order. I have been wanting to order Sugareds ever since they came out, but keep shifting them down the list in favor of other things. I probably complicate things by having my crazy seasonal rotation - February is chocolate and flowers. I think it's a subconscious way of limiting indecisiveness. Then I have to analyze the new releases I like, whether I already own something like them, where they fit in the seasonal rotation, and if I truly have an opening in the seasonal rotation! Of course, I can't figure that out until I wear them a day and decide what season they smell like to me. :Emoticons04282: I also desire the permanent stuff. I try to wear a different scent each day and limit the bottles in the monthly rotation. I don't want to have to deal with my own trade board. :P

Yes, it will actually give me a break. I am probably in the minority here, but even though they are made by the same person, I find I prefer Mara's ideas over any of the PEs I have acquired. However, reading about the PE ideas is exciting and I have had list of my own ideas since I discovered this wonderful stuff. It just seems like my ideas have already been done. It's a wonder how Mara comes up with new ones every month!!! I figure once I acquire everything I desire only then will I start submitting my own PEs. I will be cool if we can sample the PEs first.

I know all this has just confirmed everyone's suspicions that I am nuts, obsessed, whatever!!! :wacko:

I'm joining the choir of enthusiastic supporters here. SirenSong made a really good point, keeping up with everything on LPMP is the perfume equivalent of keeping up with good music on Mixcloud.

Too much good stuff over too short a time.

PE's would be a great way of expanding our horizons. I'm probably going to look into ordering an edition of my own this year, although I'm not sure which idea I would go for. I have a couple of equally intriguing ideas competing for the first spot.

Loving this concept. I totally agree it will make it easier to keep up with new stuff, and I'll actually get a chance to order some PEs more often too- usually I'm too caught up in trying to buy as many new releases as I can to give the PEs much of a look.