Time Turner

Beccah

AD2-TimeTurner.jpg

Time Turner

Travel back in time with me, to the dawn of perfumery...for a salute to a most ancient unguent, crafted of goose fat and tail of goat...well okay, not really a goat! Actually it was a mysterious plant root - Spikenard - which many believed was the tail of a little goat. This fragrance is akin to a warm skin-hugging vanilla with a woody heart and a tiny touch of spiciness, containing precious ingredients of a bygone era: Cistus labdanum, spikenard, and tonka in a carrier of creamy coconut fat instead of goose!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Magickal Meanings of Ingredients:

CISTUS aka LABDANUM ~ One of the oldest known perfume ingredients. Considered holy, used in tribute, and as a sense-memory tool to stimulate the subconscious. Said to revive long forgotten memories and feelings.
SPIKENARD ~ Love, romance and sensuality, grounding and calming, peace, mental clarity, affinity with animals,
TONKA ~ Love, money, courage, wishes granted; wards off illness.
COCONUT ~ Chastity, protection, purification, receptivity.

I didn't think this would be as sweet as it is, which is a nice surprise. The descriptive phrase used in the description is Mara's and it pretty much describes this one to a 'T' (for Time Turner!). In that respect it reminds me of A Lick of Cream but with sort of woody/resiny/plant-like impressions underneath the sweetness. But it's very warm and creamy and I think it would be one of those which could handle a phero boost or one you could layer with a Sugared or a Fairy Cake just for an extra dimension of sweetness, or a base which will stick to you longer. It does have an old-fashioned kind of unity to it, which is not to say it's simple, but linear.

When I first smelled Naughty Nurse, I was in heaven by the scent and also found myself pleasantly affected by the labdanum and poppy. I bought 2 FB to cherish and use for sleep and dreams when all else failed. And I made more than one request for a rebrew, simply because I was so hoping for a return of those ingredients.

At the store, I tested all the samplers without reading the descriptions so I would have an open mind. This was an immediate buy - I knew there was something in there I needed, and something I had not tried before. The spikenard is giving me some past-live memories I have not fully explored. My life is very busy right now but I can't wait to try it on a nice quiet evening for meditation and sleep. My husband is also intrigued by the scent and says it smells "familiar' to him spiritually. Luna has done an excellent job trying to describe the scent. I would say warm amber with an earthy undertone. I am also a huge fan of coconut but cannot consciously pick it apart from the rest of the scent at this time. It doesn't morph on me. It's on my nightstand and I love applying it throughout the day. It lasts about 5 hours on me. I will be getting another FB of this soon. Spikenard with the labdanum is simply brilliant for those of us looking for something unusual.

Me too! I'm surprised it's in the women's forum though! I figured this would be unisex all day! Must be that coconut. Is this a bit like Blessing 2015 at all? I don't imagine it's as complex, but I'm curious about the coconut/resin mix. Sounds dreamy!

Not really, although that's just me. Blessing Oil has more of a resin-type aura to it whereas in Time Turner it's more of an undertone, IMO.

What an unusual scent.

It's soft and understated, staying close to my skin. My nose has been acting up the last couple of days - moving dust and pollen are working against me - so maybe this has more throw than I'm aware of?

It's a nice calming fragrance and I feel like there's something familiar about it, but I can't put my finger on what :huh:

There's something creamy and nice in the feel and I actually get the coconut, probably because it's the only note I'm really familiar with :D

Very nice :)

So I've been having computer issues, which meant that I did my first run of trials without access to description or notes. I remembered that there was some intense description of this one, but could not remember why.

I feel as if this will be a useless review, because these notes are so different from anything I am familiar with (well, except for coconut!) but oh, my goodness (interesting typo: I just wrote "godness"!). I absolutely echo what NuTrix said about this having a spell potion feel to this. It's a creamy powerful scent that evokes nature but doesn't correspond to smells I recognize, and yet at the same time it evokes an intensel wave of nostalgia and emotion every time I sniff it. And interestingly, while in one sense I want to dub it unisex because on me it doesn't have the sweetness I usually associate with women's scents, it has a powerful goddess-y energy to it. I guess I could picture it on a guy, but it makes me feel All Woman with a capital W.

Damn it! I was going to stick to samples this collection, but I might need this.

Also -- FWIW I have been around long enough that with most things now, even though each NR is unique and has its own distinct character, I can usually place them in "scent families" -- orange cupcake, lavender gourmand, sophisticated glamour potion, etc. This one.... I can't. I have never smelled anything like this. Others with more history than I have may be able to, of course! But this is new to me. Wow. Just wow.

Urgh, I'm so annoyed to find that this is another one that I love. This is getting to be very expensive! I only ordered a tester because I was slightly put off by the idea of the citrus. Personally I don't like it too much. However this fragrance is unusual and stunning. I will be buying a full bottle with my next order and keeping my fingers crossed it doesn't sell out before then.

I also feel that this is unisex. It reminds me of something but I can't quite put my finger on what that is. It's warm, sensual and reminds me very much of summer even though it isn't your typical summer scent. I guess that must be due to the coconut, which incidentally is more reminiscent of coconut oil or raw coconut than the sweet smelling coconut we're so used to in woman's perfume.

This is far more masculine on me than AOA. This is dark and dank on my skin. I was surprised I thought it would be reverse.

On my skin this dark, a little murky with a medicinal, resinous undercurrent. I smell a medication like finish on the long dry down. I think my chemistry does not work well with a few of the notes. Not sure which. But, for a man who like a dark resinous scent with a touch of the mysterious, this might work.

I tried a tiny swipe of this. I first experienced a smoky vanilla-like scent, something coconutty. I believe the tonka to be the perceived vanilla scent; I have never smelled tonka before. It really did smell like something from another time! I liked it. I made everyone smell it joking that there was goose fat in it. :P And then my kids smelled it. My son didn't like it and my daughter remarked that it "Smells like Grandma" (my mother) which kind of killed it for me after my son agreed. :o Then, I realized it smells like my mother's house as she burns vanilla candles. Smelling like "Grandma" is not something to turn me against it. I will give it another shot soon. I did like it's smoky, coconutty quality.

I just got my new toys today!!! This is the first one I've looked up the reviews for. I haven't worn it yet, but first sniff, out of the bottle, I find myself wishing that the spikenard was a bit stronger. I can pick it up, but it's very faint. I could go on and on about my immense love for spikenard, but I will spare you all.

Reading the other reviews, I find it really interesting that so many say they find something "familiar" about it. I feel like there's something about spikenard that speaks to my soul, or--I don't even know how to describe this--maybe my "higher self," something that feels ancient and wise. And it DOES seem familiar...except it has seemed so since the very first time I ever smelled it.

Edited by Lainey

• 1 month later...

I grabbed this one today out of my trial pile. It goes on as a deep smoky coconut. Like Blessing Oil without the sweetness. There's a waxy scent, maybe that's the labdanum? And sniffing close to my skin, I get a medicinal smell.

I like BC's way of saying it, it has a goddess-y energy to it. Very much what I need today...

• 1 month later...

I love love this one. It is vanilla and coconut but with a powder finish on me. I think it is office friendly and feels like a scent I would wear in early fall. It's got a long wear which is awesome because I burn scents quickly. Love it!!

• 11 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Welp. I put this on today and unfortunately, the coconut eats everything else, especially my beloved spikenard. It's a very soft, almost undetectable scent on me. Very close to the skin. And ALLLLL coconut. 

*sigh*

I want more spikenard. :cry: