First Friday Party for August!

13920584_1095279640525550_79357834515241

Come on down!

I'm making Cotton Candy Margarita Sugar Scrubs and there's going to be something similar in the cauldron too!!

I'm feeling citrusy this month.

:relaxing:

Schedule for this month...

The SALE continues until August 19th

I plan to have NRs up by the end of August - brewing now!

And I've re-opened PEs.

Hope you are enjoying your Summer! Come visit us if you can!

Wish I could be there......BUT I will probably be partying at a client's house tomorrow night! Tales will be told!!

13895328_1095483647185261_43820180298658

Cauldron Punch of the Month - Margarita Punch!

I use rum pretty much every month so I wanted to try something different. Like Halo, I am not a fan of tequila,or so I thought. When working out this recipe, I realized that it's dark tequila that makes me nauseous, but white tequila is another story. It's tremendously more mild tasting/smelling but you still have a tinge of that identifiable agave aroma. Very simple recipe this month and it went over fabulously.

Limeade, white tequila, orange liqueur, watermelon and pineapple.

1/3rd tequila to 2/3rd limeade, and then the orange liqueur of your choice to taste.

There are few things on this earth more delicious than watermelon soaked in booze. It's so summery and festive and such a treat. Everything I make this way is a hit.

Yeah see, the dark kind is usually either mezcal or a variant thereof, and that stuff is pretty potent. I enjoy a good smooth light tequila like Patron Silver.

Yeah see, the dark kind is usually either mezcal or a variant thereof, and that stuff is pretty potent. I enjoy a good smooth light tequila like Patron Silver.

Technically, all tequilas are a type of mezcal. Mezcal simply means an alcoholic drink that has been distilled from agave. "Regular" tequila is generally made with only the blue agave plant, whereas most that are labeled and sold as "mezcal" are made with a blend of different varieties of agave. Mezcal is generally a little smoky tasting, due to how it is made and how they roast the agave. And, mezcal can be clear, too.

So, just because a tequila is dark, doesn't mean it is definitely "mezcal" and sold as such. It has to be processed in a certain way to be sold as mezcal. The color of gold tequila can get there in two ways......many of the cheaper ones add artificial caramel color and/or different sugars to mellow the flavor. The better ones are aged in barrels which give it the color. Silver tequila is very rarely aged, or is only aged for a short time.

The aged gold tequilas are better for shots and can be killer for cocktails, if you get the right one. Just make sure if you go for gold tequila, get the one that says 100% agave on the label. Those are the best, IMO, and have been aged to get the color.

I like Patron silver too....it's pretty smooth. I haven't tried the Patron gold, but I have tried some damn good gold tequilas. I had a friend who brought me a bottle of aged gold tequila from Mexico, and it was sooooooo goooooood. Definitely a good sipping tequila. I can almost guarantee that if you took a sip of a good aged gold tequila, it would change your mind.

Just like tequila, mezcal can be good or bad, too.....

OK,end of tequila lesson...... :drinking-red-wine:

Edited by Dolly

Yeah I guess I should have phrased my post better because I do know those things, but hey, I'd only had one cup of coffee. :lol:

In my experience, the darker tequilas which I have tried have been closer in character to mezcal; I have tried a few different types of aged tequila (Quince likes it and usually has some handy) and I don't have any issue with that kind other than it's not necessarily to my taste overall.

Well, personally, I used to be a real tequila-head. FOR YEARS, it was generally the only "hard" liquor I would drink. Thus why I am rather well-educated on the subject. And have tasted a LOT of different varieties. A good tequila can be excellent, and a bad one....well, can be horrifyingly bad......like paint stripper.

Lately, though, I have been more inclined toward flavored whisky and bourbon. I just thought the forum members might like a little "tequila 101" this afternoon.

Edited by Dolly

Well, personally, I used to be a real tequila-head. FOR YEARS, it was generally the only "hard" liquor I would drink. Thus why I am rather well-educated on the subject. And have tasted a LOT of different varieties. A good tequila can be excellent, and a bad one....well, can be horrifyingly bad......like paint stripper.

Lately, though, I have been more inclined toward flavored whisky and bourbon. I just thought the forum members might like a little "tequila 101" this afternoon.

See I would have pegged you as a Burbon Gal from the start. ;) I love a good Burbon.

Ditto on the "silver tequila". I rarely, if ever, go for tequila drinks any more. But, if I do have a margarita, I prefer it with the clear stuff.

Ditto on the "silver tequila". I rarely, if ever, go for tequila drinks any more. But, if I do have a margarita, I prefer it with the clear stuff.

I actually prefer my margaritas with gold, if it is a good one. I order "top shelf" margaritas SOMETIMES.....but I always ask them what they use in them before I decide for sure.

See I would have pegged you as a Burbon Gal from the start. ;) I love a good Burbon.

About the bourbon....I found out this year before I went to visit my Mom that right there in her county in WV, there is a LEGAL distillery (not talking moonshiners here, although they do sell some). I had no clue that they have been open there for a number of years now, and they have free tours and tastings. They make various bourbons, gin, vodka, and different variations of each.

We went to a tasting, and they make a blended 7 year and 10 year bourbon, that is excellent. It is called "Old Scout", and is super smooth. After they have used the barrels, they chops them up into chunks and sell them to people who use them for smoking meats. My man bought some, and we are hoping to try them this fall, when he breaks out the smoker.

About the bourbon....I found out this year before I went to visit my Mom that right there in her county in WV, there is a LEGAL distillery (not talking moonshiners here, although they do sell some). I had no clue that they have been open there for a number of years now, and they have free tours and tastings. They make various bourbons, gin, vodka, and different variations of each.

We went to a tasting, and they make a blended 7 year and 10 year bourbon, that is excellent. It is called "Old Scout", and is super smooth. After they have used the barrels, they chops them up into chunks and sell them to people who use them for smoking meats. My man bought some, and we are hoping to try them this fall, when he breaks out the smoker.

Oh... that sounds great. I usually love bourbon flavored foods. ;)

Oh... that sounds great. I usually love bourbon flavored foods. ;)

Yeah, we do a lot of smoked meats, more often in the fall/winter.....we have several different woods, but this is a first....I think the tasting barmaid said the barrels are charred white oak? But had bourbon sitting in them for a number of years......you can smell the boozy smell in the wood chunks.

Yeah, we do a lot of smoked meats, more often in the fall/winter.....we have several different woods, but this is a first....I think the tasting barmaid said the barrels are charred white oak? But had bourbon sitting in them for a number of years......you can smell the boozy smell in the wood chunks.

I'm getting hungry :D

He's lucky he didn't get pulled over while he was driving home with the woods :)

You've got to post about it when you guys start smoking.

I'm getting hungry :D

He's lucky he didn't get pulled over while he was driving home with the woods :)

You've got to post about it when you guys start smoking.

OH, I definitely will! My man has 2 smokers.....he has used pecan, walnut, cherry, mesquite, and hickory.....probably some others that I don't remember. But we want to use those chunks on something that the flavor will come out on....which would have to be chicken, turkey, or maybe pork. I am thinking beef would be too heavy for the flavor to come out in.

I love tequila... Just started doing tequila shots with salt and lemon as a recommendation from a friend... Smoothest shots I've ever taken.

Try lime. It's much better with lime

I love tequila shots! They taste the best when the shot glasses are frosted!

OH YES! AND EVEN BETTER IF YOU CHILL THE TEQUILA FIRST TOO!

I am not much on tequila unless it is part of a drink. I did one win a bottle of tequila for being the sexiest male dancer.