Sydney's Embla

Beccah

AD-PE-EMBLA.jpg

Sydney is a regular customer at the shop, a stunning young lady of Viking descent - thus the ode to her heritage of the name - the Norse equivalent of Eve, and the rune - which stands for "music". She is insistent that she does not care for girly scents and wanted something that is on the masculine side of unisex. We put together a list of notes and I went off to create it for her. When it was finished, I got nervous that it might have turned out too girly for her, so I made a second pass at it, cutting down the notes to the core. I presented both versions to choose from. She told me that she had been nervous that she wouldn't like it when it was done, but now was faced with the fact that she was madly in love with both of them. :lol: She ended up very happily buying a bottle of each. We used the same label for both, just with a V1 or V2 label on the cap.

Version 1:

Egyptian musk, white musk, amber musk, ylang ylang EO, neroli EO, non-foody vanilla, sweet sandalwood & Aja.

Version 2:

Egyptian Musk, white musk, neroli.

• 2 weeks later...

I have no idea which version came in the PE sample set. Based on what my nose is picking out, I'm going to guess that it's V.2. I like it. It's very clean & basic. I think V.2 would definitely be office friendly. The Egyptian musk does give the perfume a little hint of exotic incense, but just the faintest whisper.

• 1 month later...

I have no idea which version came in the PE sample set. Based on what my nose is picking out, I'm going to guess that it's V.2. I like it. It's very clean & basic.

I would say the same - the sniffee I received, the Egyptian musk is very strong, it comes off soapy at first but in the drydown it's very feminine and sophisticated but in a linear sort of way.

Gahhhhh, this is GORGEOUS! Of course, I'm a sucker for a good clean scent. This is sooooo perfect. It's not stabby to me at all. Just yummy, clean, soapy goodness. Even as I was putting it on, Mr Perfect said how good I smelled!! FB for sure!

Gahhhhh, this is GORGEOUS! Of course, I'm a sucker for a good clean scent. This is sooooo perfect. It's not stabby to me at all. Just yummy, clean, soapy goodness. Even as I was putting it on, Mr Perfect said how good I smelled!! FB for sure!

I wonder, does V1 satisfy your search for something eariler? Edited by StacyK

• 1 year later...

I like soapy scents, but unfortunately Embla 2 just doesn't work with my skin; it comes across like dishwashing liquid. I wonder if the first version would have worked better on me with the additional ingredients to sweeten and soften it.

• 1 month later...

I received a free sample of Embla 2. To my nose, and also my husband's, it smells very, very floral, soft and feminine. This doesn't fit at all with the ingredient list and description. Can a scent change that much with my body chemistry?  Or change that much with time in the bottle? Or is possible it is mislabeled?  I had always thought I didn't like neroli, but I smell absolutely no neroli in this (at least the kind I'm used to.)

I love my sample and if it is really Embla 2, I'm going to order it! 

The neroli I've smelled has seemed more earthy with an undercurrent of clove. Smelled like a very distant cousin of patchouli which I loathe even in the smallest quantities (patchouli triggers bad memories of a pervert violin teacher I had as a child, whose house smelled of cat urine, underarm odor and patchouli.)

However, I would not describe the nerolis I've smelled as high quality or pure. So perhaps my perception of them as being clove-y is inaccurate.  I use a John Master's hair conditioner that is supposedly neroli scented and while I love the way it detangles, I don't like the way it smells.

I'm not accusing anyone of mislabeling, I'm just very curious about why I smell such different notes in this scent then how it is described. I really love the scent.

How can I learn about musks? I had never associate them with floral qualities, but they sure have them in this scent (at least on my skin!)

Neroli is a rich and grown up floral note, I think similar to orange blossom but distilled differently? Might be considered "spicy" for a floral, but definitely a floral. Like ylang-ylang, it's one of the ones I can wear, the opposite of jasmine for me.

I remember asking about musks, too, I wish I could find the thread. But I remember reading that Mara has over 100(!) types of musks in maybe the Sugared/Layerable thread. 

• 11 months later...